Why is the 6D named the 6D?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Questions
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 11,033
Why is the 6D named the 6D?

Canon product numbering has been to use 1-digit numbers for the high end, 2-digit numbers for the middle, and 3-digit numbers for the consumer grade.

Within levels, higher numbers indicate more advanced products.

The 6D seems to represent a decline from the 5Dmk3, so why isn't it called the 4D?

ANSWER:
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flying Fish Veteran Member • Posts: 4,476
Re: Why is the 6D named the 6D?

If you think you have Canon's naming system figured out, well, congratulations.  You say that within a product line higher numbers mean higher specs (or something like that), but certainly the 5D is lower-specced than the 1D cameras.  I don't know what I'd expect from a camera named 4D, any more than I understand why the 7D has that name.  It doesn't really matter, does it?  There aren't so many cameras that it's difficult to keep them straight in one's mind.

FF

 Flying Fish's gear list:Flying Fish's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +2 more
jvkelley Contributing Member • Posts: 849
Re: Why is the 6D named the 6D?
5

1D, 5D, 6D, and 7D are all separate product lines.  Basically, the lower the number, the better.

-- hide signature --

J.V.

 jvkelley's gear list:jvkelley's gear list
Canon PowerShot S50 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +3 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
EvokeEmotion Contributing Member • Posts: 998
Re: Why is the 6D named the 6D?

CAcreeks wrote:

Canon product numbering has been to use 1-digit numbers for the high end, 2-digit numbers for the middle, and 3-digit numbers for the consumer grade.

Within levels, higher numbers indicate more advanced products.

The 6D seems to represent a decline from the 5Dmk3, so why isn't it called the 4D?

"Within levels, higher numbers indicate more advanced products."

No, LOWER numbers indicate more advanced products. Hence the naming of 6D is correct.

 EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +8 more
Richard Ettinger Senior Member • Posts: 1,330
Because they didn't want to name it Ed.
5
-- hide signature --

Canon 40D. Canon 50mm f1.4, canon 135mm 2.8/soft focus, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 24-105L. Sony Nex-7.

 Richard Ettinger's gear list:Richard Ettinger's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH +7 more
SwedishGoose
SwedishGoose Regular Member • Posts: 272
Re: Because they didn't want to name it Ed.

Lol....

But how about calling it Charles?

ML_Digital_nYc Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: Why is the 6D named the 6D?

The only proper response to this thought is who in the world cares.

-- hide signature --

Your favorite retoucher's favorite retoucher.

John_A_G Veteran Member • Posts: 7,448
Re: Why is the 6D named the 6D?

CAcreeks wrote:

Canon product numbering has been to use 1-digit numbers for the high end, 2-digit numbers for the middle, and 3-digit numbers for the consumer grade.

Within levels, higher numbers indicate more advanced products.

The 6D seems to represent a decline from the 5Dmk3, so why isn't it called the 4D?

Canon apparently decided to put it in the xD line because it's full frame.  In that line the numbers work backwards - 1 is best then 5 and now 6.

Y Hafting
Y Hafting Contributing Member • Posts: 787
Re: Because they didn't want to name it Ed.

SwedishGoose wrote:

Lol....

But how about calling it Charles?

nah, Ed is better

-Yngve

CAcreeks
OP CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 11,033
Re: Why is the 6D named the 6D?

Flying Fish wrote:

There aren't so many cameras that it's difficult to keep them straight in one's mind.

Nyuk nyuk nyuk, as the 3 Stooges used to say.

I can't keep the Rebel product names straight. Lucky thing ROW (rest of world) using the nnnD naming scheme.

CAcreeks
OP CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 11,033
Re: Why is the 6D named the 6D?

EvokeEmotion wrote:

No, LOWER numbers indicate more advanced products. Hence the naming of 6D is correct.

Only in the 1-digit lineup, it appears.

I had forgotten about the 7D, which isn't even full frame.

Thanks, all. Well, most of you anyway.

Lemming51
Lemming51 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,591
Re: Because they didn't want to name it Ed.
 

To Sixdee or Sixteedee, that is the question.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

 Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Hank3152
Hank3152 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,499
Did any Canon series make sense?

What logic does Canon have when referring to their compact point & shoot series, i.e, the SD500 is the US model, European name: Canon IXUS 700 Japanese name: Canon IXY Digital 600.

....or entry level DSLRs, i.e., EOS 650D which is the Rebel T4i and also the Kiss X6i

 Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee Veteran Member • Posts: 6,080
It's called the 6D because
1

Most of the people who buy it are sixty years of age...

-- hide signature --

Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh (Irish Gaelic)
A good word never broke a tooth.

 Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D X +27 more
Robert Hoy Senior Member • Posts: 1,572
Re: Why is the 6D named the 6D?

CAcreeks wrote:

The 6D seems to represent a decline from the 5Dmk3, so why isn't it called the 4D?

Their 1-series is their best, so 4 would means a higher level product than their 5-series.

jedinstvo
jedinstvo Senior Member • Posts: 1,914
F1, F1n, F1N. New F1

Why can't they be more like Nikon? Maybe they should hire me to be naming guru. I'd sit in the hot tub with some lovely young women and think up names. I'd be more new age. Also, I'd use names from Star Wars. Sales would go thru the roof!

Robert Hoy Senior Member • Posts: 1,572
Re: F1, F1n, F1N. New F1

jedinstvo wrote:

Also, I'd use names from Star Wars. Sales would go thru the roof!

They'd have to pay Disney a lot to license a name.  Disney is going to use (abuse) the rights they bought of Star Wars as a way to save their company.  They said they'll make 6 Star Wars movies in the next 7 years including a few 1-movie "spin offs".  That will kill the allure of the concept.

lovingtheview Contributing Member • Posts: 805
Re: unpredictability in naming conventions
1

Audiophiles will recall that across a spectrum of  alphanumeric model numbers, as well as some proper nouns, some high-end companies,  e.g. Great American Sound, had humorous designations such as the tuner model "Charlie the Tuner," as well as a big power amp, "Ampzilla."

I have been thoroughly suspicious of most attempts at demystifying Canon's EOS model nomenclature system.  Why?

First off: It is wrong to presume that even the manufacturer has and [carefully] follows a consistent scheme for assigning new model designations.

Second: There is the phenomenon of feature/model/designation creep, where the manufacturer is actually altering the feature set of a series or line designation over a period of  years.

Third: A new prototype model which the product planners/developers of a Japanese audio or camera manufacturer turn over to the marketing people, requiring a new designation choice, may end up with a model number/name which is based more on marketing ideas than it is a consistent expression of the existing nomenclature system.

Last: the crazy cultural oddities relating to numerology, i.e. this number or that is unlucky, make new category designations tricky.

I think consumers, even highly informed consumers, read more into product designation systems than is justified.  So, we can't know too well what an EOS 8D, 80D, 9D, 90D, 2D will be until someone unboxes the first production piece.  From that point, the nomenclature system may again get shifted by this one new model.

Lovingtheview

Lawn Lends
Lawn Lends Senior Member • Posts: 1,275
Re: Why is the 6D named the 6D?

Isnt it obvious?

The camera designer's wife wears a size 6 dress and the cup size is....

 Lawn Lends's gear list:Lawn Lends's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 +11 more
lovingtheview Contributing Member • Posts: 805
Re: Why is the 6D named the 6D?

ML_Digital_nYc wrote:

The only proper response to this thought is who in the world cares.

Fascinating logic offered here.  Those who wrote before and after your statment care[d] enought to contribute.  One would not have to do a great deal of web searching to find many other discussions about product naming.  Even if there weren't these proofs, couldn't there possibly be just a few other proper responses?  Wars get started over such inflexible declarations.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads