Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions
Christoph Stephan
Christoph Stephan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,270
Re: Still use my 20D and 5D on travel

ljfinger wrote:

Having the right bag makes it easy to carry a 5kg bag of stuff all day, and they are so superior in so many ways to the rest that travel is the one time I'd never go without them.

Me too, and there is even no need to carry a 5 kg bag. The Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 Macro and EF-S 55-250mm IS make a great allrounder combo. For countryside trips, I add the Sigma 50mm f.28 Macro, for cities and buildings the EF-S 10-22mm.

...with Sigma 50mm f2.8 Macro

Schizophyllum commune

Dactylorhiza maculata or fuchsii

Of course to get shots like this there is no way around the 100-400mm L IS (or an equivalent lens) and thats the point where it gets heavy:

Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro
Christoph Stephan
Christoph Stephan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,270
Re: Still use my 20D and 5D on travel

Bill Force wrote:

Very true and I'll go you one further. If I'm serious about documenting or preserving images I still pack and carry my Canon F-1 and a couple lenses as I'm more confident in the preservation of film, I scan and digitize for printing.

Thats actually true, on expensive farawy holidays (outside Europe) I often take my EOS300 for film. In direct comparison with my EOS 20D images, I still have the impression that the slide film (Fuji Sensia ISO200 and ISO400) has an edge in colours.

If just for my pleasure and the net I use my Nikon D2x and usually just one lens. (2X crop factor helps).

I do not like to limit myself in lens choices, gladly my 20D  and 40D are lighter then the Nikon D2x...and the EOS300 for film beats them all...

I have 4 P&S cameras but truthfully they all suck unless you are satisfied to compromise....great for pics of my wife's family.

The idea of comparisons of cameras and systems is a futile endeavor, just try to do the best with what you have, there is NO perfect camera OR system. All of the modern technology is basically aimed at reduction of size, weight and perhaps flexibility but in actuality the images are no better than the ones I take with my 1932 Kodak Recomar IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT.

Incidently my Canon F-1 IS FF.

True,  I would assume that brand switching is not woth it if you have a collection of lenses - and the lenses are more important than the body...

Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro
Takagi Forum Member • Posts: 66
Re: Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?

"Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?"

Because they still have not understood that progress has moved beyond those monstrosities or because they honestly like the extra size and weight. To those who actually like carrying a lot of weight and a big hefty camera I would suggest getting a dumbbell to carry around and attach a weight to their camera via the tripod attachment. Why anyone likes extra weight is incomprehensible to me, but I must assume posters in this thread who say they do are being honest.

Seriously, yesterday I witnessed a family taking pictures of their toddler sitting at a restaurant table. The father had an enormous APS-C sensor DSLR and he was trying to stick this into the toddlers face. All he did was scare the toddler. He fired off umpteen shots but I doubt that any of them were any good. Later I saw the mother using a compact camera and the difference in terms of rapport between photographer and subject and how much more the toddler responded by smiling and interacting with the photographer was remarkable. I think she got some nice pics...

Why was he carrying a huge DSLR? Probably because he thinks it makes him look cool. Maybe he also likes the extra weight...

PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 14,024

Takagi wrote:

"Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?"

Because they still have not understood that progress has moved beyond those monstrosities or because they honestly like the extra size and weight. To those who actually like carrying a lot of weight and a big hefty camera I would suggest getting a dumbbell to carry around and attach a weight to their camera via the tripod attachment. Why anyone likes extra weight is incomprehensible to me, but I must assume posters in this thread who say they do are being honest.

Seriously, yesterday I witnessed a family taking pictures of their toddler sitting at a restaurant table. The father had an enormous APS-C sensor DSLR and he was trying to stick this into the toddlers face. All he did was scare the toddler. He fired off umpteen shots but I doubt that any of them were any good. Later I saw the mother using a compact camera and the difference in terms of rapport between photographer and subject and how much more the toddler responded by smiling and interacting with the photographer was remarkable. I think she got some nice pics...

Why was he carrying a huge DSLR? Probably because he thinks it makes him look cool. Maybe he also likes the extra weight...

Maybe we old DLSR owners just like the best instrument for taking good photos?
I already have an iPhone and a P&S when the results doesnt matter. I dont need a mirrorless for that.

-- hide signature --
Takagi Forum Member • Posts: 66

PerL wrote:

Maybe we old DLSR owners just like the best instrument for taking good photos?
I already have an iPhone and a P&S when the results doesnt matter. I dont need a mirrorless for that.

If you think an old DSLR is "the best instrument for taking good photos", fine. I am glad that I  know better, but I am not going to try to educate you. Enjoy what you have got, weight, bulk and what not...

Donald Duck
Donald Duck Regular Member • Posts: 308

Takagi wrote:

That must be it. Anybody with a dSLR is a dinosaur.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,860
DSLRs are for Photographers

gdourado wrote:

Hello,

With the increase advancements in sensor technology and mirrorless cameras, I was wondering how many non professionals still use DSLR's as their travel cameras or just general usage cameras...

If I was a payed photo professional, doing either event shooting, sports, nature or fashion shoots, a camera with maximum speed, precision and control would be a must. But if you are just an hobbyist or an amateur, do you still feel motivated to haul around a big DSLR with lenses all day?

I was wondering because myself for instance, I really enjoy some pictures I got some time ago with my 20D and 5D, but when I think about the fact that I left the hotel in the morning with a big and heavy camera bag, only to return at night, having a big camera always hanging from either my neck or my shoulder, I wish I had taken something smaller and lighter.

What are your feelings on this matter?

Cheers!

Folks like Bill Force use P&S and phone cameras to be 'photo' important. Its all about being stylish, right *gdourado*?

LMAO.

What a troll post.

-- hide signature --

Digital photography gear is consistently inconsistent.

Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,764

gdourado wrote:

Hello,

With the increase advancements in sensor technology and mirrorless cameras, I was wondering how many non professionals still use DSLR's as their travel cameras or just general usage cameras...

If I was a payed photo professional, doing either event shooting, sports, nature or fashion shoots, a camera with maximum speed, precision and control would be a must. But if you are just an hobbyist or an amateur, do you still feel motivated to haul around a big DSLR with lenses all day?

I was wondering because myself for instance, I really enjoy some pictures I got some time ago with my 20D and 5D, but when I think about the fact that I left the hotel in the morning with a big and heavy camera bag, only to return at night, having a big camera always hanging from either my neck or my shoulder, I wish I had taken something smaller and lighter.

Cheers!

For general purpose photography which is most of what I do, my Fuji compact camera is more than adequate. I want a good DSLR for exceptional landscape photography that I have become interested in. I have had a couple of M4/3 cameras and frankly I don't like them. Yes they are convenient compared to a Nikon DSLR but they are still inconvenient compared to a good quality compact. M4/3 is not convenient enough nor is IQ high enough IMHO

Here are some recent shots taken with my Fuji F300 compact that cost me £90 and now sells for £75 at the Fuji shop. This camera has a 24-360 zoom and lives in my  pocket 24/7, that is what I call convenience. My big camera needs to have state of the art IQ, ergonomics and functionality without compromises and that is what a Nikon and a couple of their decent lenses offers.

-- hide signature --

S100fs, S6500, S5, F300, D40, EX1, EPM1

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 37,286

gdourado wrote:

Hello,

I wanted to learn photography, and I wanted the DSLR experience, and I didn't go economy because I didn't want to be able to blame the gear if I couldn't hack it.   I did it for 10 years.   Wonderful.   For 3 years now I'm DSLR-less, and it's also been wonderful, and a nice change of pace, a different experience.    With the DSLR I found out I could shoot for huge prints, and proving that to myself was a plateau.   I can shoot for large prints now, and that's all I ever really needed.   But mind you, there was a time only a 4-5 years ago where for respectable IQ there was only one place to go under MF (DSLRs that is, with some short lived exceptions).

I have no idea what I'm doing the day after tomorrow.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads