Canon 6D can't do birds

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Discussions
Spad16
Spad16 Senior Member • Posts: 1,179
Canon 6D can't do birds

Well I'd give it a gold, I completely love this camera, when I was out today I got 14 keepers, which is about 7 times as many as with the 40D on the same kind of session. Most of these are also against a difficult background,  I kept the 1.4 teleconverter on mostly, but even had a try with the 2X teleconverter, and it did autofocus too, something I thought was imposssible. Lens is the 400/5.6

Herring gull

Another herring gull

Yet another herring gull

Finally a herring gull

This one was taken with the 2x teleconverter

Three youngsters

Mr Mallard fooling around

Mrs Mallard in a hurry

Hope you like them

/Neil

Spad16's gear list:Spad16's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Scorehound
Scorehound Regular Member • Posts: 150
Re: Canon 6D can't do birds

It depends on what the scene is. At 4.5 FPS and 11 pt AF we can't expect miracles. The 6D isn't being touted as an AF Servo wizard, so there are limitations with it. But your photos don't look bad considering. The 5D mkII was worse in AF points and continuous shutter speed and it was one of the most popular cameras in the world. Stick to the 6D's strengths and it will be a power performer.

Scorehound's gear list:Scorehound's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,139

Spad16 wrote:

Well I'd give it a gold, I completely love this camera, when I was out today I got 14 keepers, which is about 7 times as many as with the 40D on the same kind of session. Most of these are also against a difficult background, I kept the 1.4 teleconverter on mostly, but even had a try with the 2X teleconverter, and it did autofocus too, something I thought was imposssible. Lens is the 400/5.6

Your gulls are blurred because your shutter speed is too slow.  1/320 doesn't cut it for BIFs.  Gulls require less speed than many other birds, but I would still go to 1/500 or 1/640.

You have what is alleged to be the 2nd best DSLR for high ISO; don't skimp on your shutter speed!

Even with my 7D, I'd use 1/800 in M mode.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee Veteran Member • Posts: 6,081

John Sheehy wrote:

Spad16 wrote:

Well I'd give it a gold, I completely love this camera, when I was out today I got 14 keepers, which is about 7 times as many as with the 40D on the same kind of session. Most of these are also against a difficult background, I kept the 1.4 teleconverter on mostly, but even had a try with the 2X teleconverter, and it did autofocus too, something I thought was imposssible. Lens is the 400/5.6

Your gulls are blurred because your shutter speed is too slow. 1/320 doesn't cut it for BIFs. Gulls require less speed than many other birds, but I would still go to 1/500 or 1/640.

You have what is alleged to be the 2nd best DSLR for high ISO; don't skimp on your shutter speed!

Even with my 7D, I'd use 1/800 in M mode.

If they are blurred then it escapes me. I think they're fine..

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 +27 more
ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 36,578

Nice.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Pentax KP Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +8 more
samwang New Member • Posts: 19

Were you use EF 400 F5.6L lens with 1.4X teleconveter?  If you do,Do you know the limit to the AF with teeleconveter?

-- hide signature --

sam

samwang New Member • Posts: 19

If you do ,though it is have the AF function,but Due to it is the cirtical state for AF,the Ability for aoto focus will drop greatly.
sam

Spad16
OP Spad16 Senior Member • Posts: 1,179

Yes, I am using the non-reporting Tamron 1.4 Telececonverter with the Ef 400/5.6. How do you mean about the limit? If you mean the limit for which lenses Canon will allow with a teleconverter, then it doesn’t apply for non-reporting teleconverters, since the camera doesn’t know it’s there.

/Neil

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
Spad16

The wings are certainly blurred, but shouldn’t they be?  How blurred should wings be? On propeller aeroplanes it’s important to keep shutter speed low, to get a nice propeller blur I’m thinking maybe a bird will look more attractive with some wing blur?

But I do agree with you, they are only fairly sharp, and I know I could have done better.   I haveC2 program mode set for birds in flight,  and instead of setting it to f6.3 as I’ve had I set it on the 40D,I went up to to f7.1 because I was worried about too little depth of focus. I realize this was amistake, DoF didn’t matter much on birds in flight on the 40D, and it doesn’t matter on the 6D either.

I should probably have taken off the TC when the birds were closer, that would have got shutter speed down to 1/600 or so, but in the heat of the moment I didn’t think of it.

Thanks for good advice

/Neil

Spad16

Thanks, but I'm afraid he's right, perhaps not blurred, but they could have been sharper.

/Neil

billythek Veteran Member • Posts: 5,260

Looks like some people missed the sarcasm.  I've taken action pictures with the 5D2, like the one below.  Still, I'd rather be using the 5D3 to do it.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

billythek's gear list:billythek's gear list
DxO One Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
robbert100 Contributing Member • Posts: 545

Hi Spad,

Thank you for your helpfull information. Could you provide us with some insight about the decrease of focussing speed using the TC versus not using it.

Best regards,

Rob

www.geckophoto.zenfolio.com

robbert100's gear list:robbert100's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M10 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +2 more
Christoph Stephan
Christoph Stephan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,132

Spad16 wrote:

Thanks, but I'm afraid he's right, perhaps not blurred, but they could have been sharper.

/Neil

Pics tend to appear less sharp on dpreview than they do in Canon Zoom Browser. However, it is not only the shutter speed here. In the picutre "Three youngsters it is more of a depth of field issue - the gull furthest away is sharp, the closest gull is already out of focus.

A problem I encounter frequenctly in telephoto, even when stopped down to f8-9 - the tail or wing is sharp, the eye is not.

However, otherwise very nice pics - thanks to the OP for posting.

Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro
Spad16

Yes I realize now that my attempt at irony was rather unclear! Sorry about that. I was getting a bit tired of being told how useless the 6D autofocus is. Obviously I’d prefer the 5D3 autofocus too, but it costs a good deal more, and is heavier. Great photo of the acrobats.

/Neil

Spad16
Teleconverter performance

I can’t quantify exactly how much worse the 1.4 TC  makes the 400/5.6. I’d say very little with the 6D. When taking these photos I completely forgot I had the TC on, focusing was very fast. The 6D with 1.4 TC felt “almost” like the 40D without, and the 6D with 2XTC felt “almost” like the 40D with 1.4TC. I write “almost” deliberately, because I think I’m exaggerating a little. What I feel very sure about, is that the TC performance on the 6D is an enormous improvement compared to the 40D, where the 2X TC wouldn’t do autofocus at all.

/Neil

ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 36,578

billythek wrote:

Looks like some people missed the sarcasm. I've taken action pictures with the 5D2, like the one below. Still, I'd rather be using the 5D3 to do it.

Good action shot.  

Would be excellent if you managed to get the leap frogger totally in shot with his feet, but hey proves it works.  

-- hide signature --

- Bill

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Pentax KP Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +8 more
Einstein333
Einstein333 Senior Member • Posts: 1,840

The real challenge for a AF system are the birds flying in your direction or away from you. Try to catch one of those with an off center AF point of the 6D! Good luck!

-- hide signature --

www.retomueller.ch/forum/signature.jpg
Visit my photo gallery: http://www.retomueller.ch
Reto Mueller, Bern, Switzerland

Einstein333's gear list:Einstein333's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
Spad16

I think I got plenty of those yesterday, I just didn't bother with them, as I don't think they look so nice. I've never thought of them as more difficult? I'll look for some like that to post.

/Neil

Picturenaut
Picturenaut Regular Member • Posts: 330

Spad16 wrote:

Nice BIF shots! I am not surprised. I managed to get quite good keepers with the center AF of my old 50D with a 400/5.6 (love this sharp and quick little supertele, too). The more sensitive center AF of the 6D should do an even much better job.

Today I shoot BIF with a 5D3 and a 7D. Their sophisticated AF systems give you more freedom in framing the flying bird, and the 5D3's superb snappy AF system allows you to use a more critical shallow DOF (the 7D's one is not that reliable). But as we can see here a skilled photographer has no problem to shoot really nice bird pictures with a 6D.

-- hide signature --

Picturenaut

Picturenaut's gear list:Picturenaut's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +13 more
billythek Veteran Member • Posts: 5,260

ASR45 wrote:

billythek wrote:

Looks like some people missed the sarcasm. I've taken action pictures with the 5D2, like the one below. Still, I'd rather be using the 5D3 to do it.

Good action shot.

Would be excellent if you managed to get the leap frogger totally in shot with his feet, but hey proves it works.

Yeah, I was bummed at that, too.  I only had one chance at it.  I wish I had framed it a little wider.  I do have other pics in the sequence that have him totally in the frame, though.

- Bill

billythek's gear list:billythek's gear list
DxO One Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads