Issue activating MF on EM5 using 75-300 and multi-function

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Discussions
GAitken Regular Member • Posts: 253
Issue activating MF on EM5 using 75-300 and multi-function

I think I've reviewed related threads and not found an answer to this; my apologies if this is a repeat.

Has anyone found a way of activating MF + magnify on an em5 with *one* button (can be multiple presses)?

I have the following settings:

Fn2 mapped to multi-function, focus magnify as default.

MF assist off

focus mode: S-AF

If I have the 12mm/f2 with snap-focus ring on, pressing Fn2 twice brings up magnify and pulling the snap-focus ring in activates MF; or pulling the snap-focus ring activates MF and pressing Fn2 twice brings up magnify; the world is good.

However, the 75-300 does not have a snap-focus ring.

I don't want to use S-AF + MF because it's too easy to nudge the focus ring and have it switch to MF mode by mistake.   I don't want MF assist on because with a manual lens it may be way out of focus to start with and I want to get close before turning magnify on.

If you have another button, say Fn1, mapped to MF, you have to remember to go to MF mode before you go to magnify mode; pressing Fn1 when in multi-function magnify mode does nothing.  So it requires mapping two buttons, and pressing the first one (MF) once, then the second one (multi-function) twice.  If you magnify first by mistake, you have to cancel it, activate MF, then reinstate it.

There must be a better way?

GAitken's gear list:GAitken's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 36,347
Re: Issue activating MF on EM5 using 75-300 and multi-function

GAitken wrote:

I think I've reviewed related threads and not found an answer to this; my apologies if this is a repeat.

Has anyone found a way of activating MF + magnify on an em5 with *one* button (can be multiple presses)?

MF assist off

If I have the 12mm/f2 with snap-focus ring on, pressing Fn2 twice brings up magnify and pulling the snap-focus ring in activates MF; or pulling the snap-focus ring activates MF and pressing Fn2 twice brings up magnify; the world is good.

I don't want to use S-AF + MF because it's too easy to nudge the focus ring and have it switch to MF mode by mistake. I don't want MF assist on because with a manual lens it may be way out of focus to start with and I want to get close before turning magnify on.

If you have another button, say Fn1, mapped to MF, you have to remember to go to MF mode before you go to magnify mode; pressing Fn1 when in multi-function magnify mode does nothing. So it requires mapping two buttons, and pressing the first one (MF) once, then the second one (multi-function) twice. If you magnify first by mistake, you have to cancel it, activate MF, then reinstate it.

Not sure there is.   I know that while the customizations took some time for me to sort out just how I wanted the configuration set up, I also had to adapt to the camera's configuration limitations.  It took me weeks to settle in on the right config., then it took a little time to have it all become 2nd nature.  Past camera features and habits had to be un-learned to a degree.

I'd think that once you press the magnify button before hitting MF often enough you'll learn not to do that, no?   Or, you might learn to keep fingers clear of the focus ring when it's critically positioned.   Maybe a little of both?   I found the MF button assignment for MF to be easier to remember/access when assigned to the REC button - don't know whether that suits your config scheme, just a fwiw comment.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2
OP GAitken Regular Member • Posts: 253

Bob Tullis wrote:

GAitken wrote:

MF assist off

I don't want to use S-AF + MF because it's too easy to nudge the focus ring and have it switch to MF mode by mistake. I don't want MF assist on because with a manual lens it may be way out of focus to start with and I want to get close before turning magnify on.

If you have another button, say Fn1, mapped to MF, you have to remember to go to MF mode before you go to magnify mode; pressing Fn1 when in multi-function magnify mode does nothing. So it requires mapping two buttons, and pressing the first one (MF) once, then the second one (multi-function) twice. If you magnify first by mistake, you have to cancel it, activate MF, then reinstate it.

Not sure there is. I know that while the customizations took some time for me to sort out just how I wanted the configuration set up, I also had to adapt to the camera's configuration limitations. It took me weeks to settle in on the right config., then it took a little time to have it all become 2nd nature. Past camera features and habits had to be un-learned to a degree.

I'd think that once you press the magnify button before hitting MF often enough you'll learn not to do that, no? Or, you might learn to keep fingers clear of the focus ring when it's critically positioned. Maybe a little of both? I found the MF button assignment for MF to be easier to remember/access when assigned to the REC button - don't know whether that suits your config scheme, just a fwiw comment.

The bumping of the focus ring will I think always be problematical; sometimes the back of a hand, sometimes clothing, sometimes a beanbag moves it.  However, when I was first working this out I didn't realize you could make the magnified focus of lower power, which might make the issue less severe.  I now normally have it set at 5x and if that's the case I might now be able to live with it.

You're right on the order of button pushing being a habit issue.  Mostly I was hoping not to have to switch from one button to another.  Fn2 is easy to get at and pretty bomb-proof; the others are a little more problematical.  I also was hoping to free up a button for implementing DonParrot's CAF settings in a MySet, which I haven't tried yet.

Thanks

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Digital Dick Senior Member • Posts: 1,818
Gripping the lens

I use the 75-300 mm lens on my E-M5 in S-AF+mf and f2 set to magnify. With my "normal" left land grip I also found I keep bumping the manual focus ring. I have changed my left hand grip to avoid the problem. I place my ring finger under the extended portion of the lens just forward of the focusing ring. My little finger is kept pressed under and against the ring finger. My thumb goes under the lens at the camera end. My middle finger goes on the top of the lens on the extended part of the lens just beyond the focusing ring. That leaves my index finger held above the focusing ring or gently resting on the ring and available to touch up the focus if necessary. The grip is stable and comfortable. Works well for me.

Dick

Digital Dick's gear list:Digital Dick's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II
Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,392

Most of the time when I need manual focus to tweek the AF setting I'm out towards the long end of the zoom range shooting through obstructions and find it relatively easy to get it right manually using the E-M5 EVF without having to use the focus assist magnification so I do enable S-AF+MF to get at MF with no pressing needed. Otherwise, I also have the FN-1 key set to toggle between AF and MF.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M9 Olympus E-M1 Leica M (Typ 262) Olympus E-M1 II Leica M-P (Typ 240) +34 more
rrr_hhh Veteran Member • Posts: 6,022

GAitken wrote:

MF assist off

Set your camera in SAF + MF (This allows you to use AF for a first approximation, which I find useful with long tele lenses, then you can use the focus ring to fine tune)

Set MF assist to on (this should call the magnifier as soon as you touch the focus ring of the lens).

if you want to have stabilization enabled during focusing operations (a great help with long lenses like the 75-300mm), you have to set the option to have IBIS with a half pressure of the shutter set to "on" and to set the close up mode to mode 2.

• in the Custom Menu go to Release (cogwheel menu C), then set Half Way Rls With IS = ON (the last item in the list),
  • in the Custom Menu (cogwheel menu C), go to LV Close Up Mode and set it to mode 2 (the item is nearer of the end of the list than of the middle).

You could also try Pekka Potka's configuration  he has a button assigned to MF.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony a7R Olympus E-M5 II Sony a7R II +5 more

GAitken wrote:

You're right on the order of button pushing being a habit issue. Mostly I was hoping not to have to switch from one button to another. Fn2 is easy to get at and pretty bomb-proof; the others are a little more problematical. I also was hoping to free up a button for implementing DonParrot's CAF settings in a MySet, which I haven't tried yet.

Concerning the Mysets I don't think it is worth sacrifying a button for that : when assigned but tthe Fn1 button, it works only like a quick Myset, not as a toggle and it doesn't allow you to scroll through the different Mysets. You have to keep pressing the Fn button to get the Myset settings to work. As soon as you release the button, you are back to your previous settings. I found that it was rather awkward to press the Fn1 button at the same time as the shutter release. Given the limited utility of the Quick Myset, I prefer to keep the Fn button for something else.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh wrote:

GAitken wrote:

You're right on the order of button pushing being a habit issue. Mostly I was hoping not to have to switch from one button to another. Fn2 is easy to get at and pretty bomb-proof; the others are a little more problematical. I also was hoping to free up a button for implementing DonParrot's CAF settings in a MySet, which I haven't tried yet.

Concerning the Mysets I don't think it is worth sacrifying a button for that : when assigned but tthe Fn1 button, it works only like a quick Myset, not as a toggle and it doesn't allow you to scroll through the different Mysets. You have to keep pressing the Fn button to get the Myset settings to work. As soon as you release the button, you are back to your previous settings. I found that it was rather awkward to press the Fn1 button at the same time as the shutter release. Given the limited utility of the Quick Myset, I prefer to keep the Fn button for something else.

I know it only works while holding the button down, but you're right...  I was hoping to assign it to one of the lower buttons which I could operate with my thumb, but I see now that you can't assign a MySet to anything except Fn1 or Fn2

Re: Gripping the lens

Digital Dick wrote:

I use the 75-300 mm lens on my E-M5 in S-AF+mf and f2 set to magnify. With my "normal" left land grip I also found I keep bumping the manual focus ring. I have changed my left hand grip to avoid the problem. I place my ring finger under the extended portion of the lens just forward of the focusing ring. My little finger is kept pressed under and against the ring finger. My thumb goes under the lens at the camera end. My middle finger goes on the top of the lens on the extended part of the lens just beyond the focusing ring. That leaves my index finger held above the focusing ring or gently resting on the ring and available to touch up the focus if necessary. The grip is stable and comfortable. Works well for me.

Thanks, thats an idea that may work out, although it means switching grips when at the long end.  But I think with practice it might work for me.

GAitken wrote:

rrr_hhh wrote:

GAitken wrote:

I know it only works while holding the button down, but you're right... I was hoping to assign it to one of the lower buttons which I could operate with my thumb, but I see now that you can't assign a MySet to anything except Fn1 or Fn2

There is a chart summing up which functions can be affected to each button. If you don't use the Olympus grip with the two parts, the Mysets can only be affected to Fn1. They can also be affected to the lens Fn button, but few lenses have it : the 12-50mm and perhaps the 60mm macro (?).

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,392

rrr_hhh wrote:

GAitken wrote:

rrr_hhh wrote:

GAitken wrote:

I know it only works while holding the button down, but you're right... I was hoping to assign it to one of the lower buttons which I could operate with my thumb, but I see now that you can't assign a MySet to anything except Fn1 or Fn2

There is a chart summing up which functions can be affected to each button. If you don't use the Olympus grip with the two parts, the Mysets can only be affected to Fn1. They can also be affected to the lens Fn button, but few lenses have it : the 12-50mm and perhaps the 60mm macro (?).

Just the 12-50 so far. The 60mm macro does not have one.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M9 Olympus E-M1 Leica M (Typ 262) Olympus E-M1 II Leica M-P (Typ 240) +34 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads