Firmware 1.14 for K5?

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions
Tony 3d
Tony 3d Contributing Member • Posts: 641
Firmware 1.14 for K5?

I'm still on firmware 1.12 on my K5. Should I upgrade to 1.14 or leave it? Thanks.

Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TomWret
TomWret Senior Member • Posts: 2,941
Re: Firmware 1.14 for K5?

Tony, sorry I can't help you with your question, but maybe you can tell me how to find the current firmware on my recently purchased K5II?

Thanks, Tom W(ret)

-- hide signature --

...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault.

TomWret's gear list:TomWret's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 WR Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +4 more
Tony 3d
OP Tony 3d Contributing Member • Posts: 641

Just go to DP Reviews home page, and scroll down a bit. You'll see the link there.

il_alexk Senior Member • Posts: 2,326
Mixed feelings

Tony 3d wrote:

I'm still on firmware 1.12 on my K5. Should I upgrade to 1.14 or leave it? Thanks.

It feels that the 1.14 has a more consistent PDAF than the 1.13, however this is only a feeling which is not backed up by real tests. It feels to be less sensitive to scene color variations than with FW1.13, but then again the changes are not that dramatic.

Anyway, I am massively disappointed by the CDAF+FW1.14 with my Sigma 17-70 in medium/low light. It simply can't achieve focus on my kids (sitting motionless saying "Cheeese" for 1 minute) in a small room lit up by two 100Wt lamps:

• In some cases the CDAF is capable of detecting a face and to indicate it by a rectangle around it. However, the camera sweeps the full range of the AF without locking
  • In other cases, the camera refuses to recognise faces, does the full AF sweep and fails to lock

The CDAF does lock happily on high contrast test patterns (text, books, door handles, etc.) in low light, but not on pale faces with pale haircuts :). I didn't have a chance to explore the CDAF in good light though.

If you are happy with the way your camera focuses, there is no reason to upgrade, IMO.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +3 more
DrewE Senior Member • Posts: 2,053

There's no reason not to upgrade, and the firmware revisions do include some (generally unspecified) fixes that can improve the stability or reliability of the camera's operation.  I'd recommend updating.

-- hide signature --

--DrewE

DrewE's gear list:DrewE's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II +3 more
mark in Stonehaven Junior Member • Posts: 35

Hi,

I just installed 1.14.  No problems with the install, it was fairly automatic. I haven't honestly noticed any difference from the factory firmware, but I haven't had much chance to use it yet.  It did not fix a problem I hoped it might.  This is with shake reduction actually blurring images more when used with a Sigma 24-70mm DG EX F2.8 lens. The latter is just a problem with that particular lens though and I had hoped that the update might contain something to correctly pair with this lens .

-- hide signature --

Mark in Stonehaven

mark in Stonehaven's gear list:mark in Stonehaven's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Samsung D-Xenon 12-24mm F4 ED Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM +1 more
EArenz
EArenz Contributing Member • Posts: 608
Re: Mixed feelings

Anyway, I am massively disappointed by the CDAF+FW1.14 with my Sigma 17-70 in medium/low light. It simply can't achieve focus on my kids (sitting motionless saying "Cheeese" for 1 minute) in a small room lit up by two 100Wt lamps:

• In some cases the CDAF is capable of detecting a face and to indicate it by a rectangle around it. However, the camera sweeps the full range of the AF without locking
  • In other cases, the camera refuses to recognise faces, does the full AF sweep and fails to lock

The CDAF does lock happily on high contrast test patterns (text, books, door handles, etc.) in low light, but not on pale faces with pale haircuts :). I didn't have a chance to explore the CDAF in good light though.

This is interesting because on the K-01 (which of course is CDAF) my Sigma 17-70mm (f2.8-4.5) locks very quickly in very low indoor light.  It's probably my best zoom lens for low light focus lock and accuracy, although I don't have any of the high end Pentax zooms to compare it to (closest one is the Pentax 28-105mm f3.2-4.5 and the Sigma is notably faster and more positive).  I'm getting a very strong suspicion that the DSLRs are not in the same league as the K-01 when it comes to CDAF (but of course they're designed primarily for PDAF).

Ed

EArenz's gear list:EArenz's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 XS Lens +17 more
il_alexk Senior Member • Posts: 2,326
Re: Mixed feelings

EArenz wrote:

I'm getting a very strong suspicion that the DSLRs are not in the same league as the K-01 when it comes to CDAF (but of course they're designed primarily for PDAF).

I think K30 gets pretty close to the CDAF performance of K01, but not K5/K5II/K5IIs.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +3 more
aplucini Senior Member • Posts: 1,896
Undefined Acronyms

Call me  ignorant or uneducated if you want but I don't know the meaning of PDAF or CDAF.  I assume the AF part is auto focus but what the heck is PD and CD?

It's just one of my pet peeves when people use an acronym and don't spell it out the first time and assume that everyone else knows the full wording behind it.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --
 aplucini's gear list:aplucini's gear list
Pentax K-x Canon EOS 60D Pentax K-5 Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 +16 more
brandrx Forum Pro • Posts: 28,337
Re: Undefined Acronyms

aplucini wrote:

Call me ignorant or uneducated if you want but I don't know the meaning of PDAF or CDAF. I assume the AF part is auto focus but what the heck is PD and CD?

It's just one of my pet peeves when people use an acronym and don't spell it out the first time and assume that everyone else knows the full wording behind it.

Contrast Detect Autofocus (CDAF) and Phase Detect Autofocus (PDAF).

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

EArenz
EArenz Contributing Member • Posts: 608
Re: Undefined Acronyms

Call me ignorant or uneducated if you want but I don't know the meaning of PDAF or CDAF. I assume the AF part is auto focus but what the heck is PD and CD?

It's just one of my pet peeves when people use an acronym and don't spell it out the first time and assume that everyone else knows the full wording behind it.

Contrast Detect Autofocus (CDAF) and Phase Detect Autofocus (PDAF).

To go a bit further in explanation:  PDAF is generally faster and is used on DSLRs with an optical viewfinder.  CDAF is used during liveview and on the K-01 and Q which are always in liveview (no OV).

Ed

EArenz's gear list:EArenz's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 XS Lens +17 more
Kerusker
Kerusker Senior Member • Posts: 1,222
Optimized contrast AF when using [HD PENTAX-DA 560mmF5.6ED AW] lens

That's what the 1.14 FW upgrade is for as Pentax reports.

Obviously Pentax did not think of the 560mm lens to be a portrait lens which needs face detection. I.e face detection was not improved. Although tiger face detection might come in handy (if sitting still).

Sorry, but I never tried face detection on my K-5. So actually I can't help.

-- hide signature --

][.Kerusker
we don't see that we don't see (eye's blind spot)

Kerusker's gear list:Kerusker's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Sony RX10 IV Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads