What is this fascination with iso6400?

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Adventsam Veteran Member • Posts: 4,983
What is this fascination with iso6400?
3

Do you think you will get quality images at iso6400 with any system, ever? they may be ok but useful for what exactly? Why is a forum dedicated to a lower-end of camera systems seemingly obsessed with iso6400? OK, maybe camera y isnt as good as x at iso6400, who gives a xxxx, buy some decent glass. You would have to be shooting in a tunnel at night not to be able to get a decent result with f1.4/1.8 glass at iso1600, even 3200 is the max you want to be at, shotts above these iso's are really because there is no alternative, we've run out of f stops, we are at long focal lengths, we cant use flash. But let's be honest most of us are shooting closer to base, aren't we?

TheronFamily Forum Pro • Posts: 19,983
Re: What is this fascination with iso6400?
5

Adventsam wrote:

shotts above these iso's are really because there is no alternative, we've run out of f stops, we are at long focal lengths, we cant use flash.

asked and answered ...

-- hide signature --
 TheronFamily's gear list:TheronFamily's gear list
Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM
Adventsam OP Veteran Member • Posts: 4,983
Re: What is this fascination with iso6400?

TheronFamily wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

shotts above these iso's are really because there is no alternative, we've run out of f stops, we are at long focal lengths, we cant use flash.

asked and answered ...

just to add, its about 2% of most people's output! or should be.

-- hide signature --
Great Snoopy Regular Member • Posts: 122
Re: What is this fascination with iso6400?
3

You are right. By all means, just show everybody where are those super fast f1.4 500mm lens. Or even 300mm f1.8.

rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 24,490
You don't shoot events
6

If you did you'd know why there's no such a thing as too much high ISO.

-- hide signature --

Renato. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/ OnExposure member http://www.onexposure.net/ Good shooting and good luck (after Ed Murrow)

 rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
DigitalPhilosopher
DigitalPhilosopher Contributing Member • Posts: 988
Re: What is this fascination with iso6400?

Adventsam wrote:


just to add, its about 2% of most people's output! or should be.


Precisely. Technological advances are always welcome, but if someone "needs" to shoot at ISO 6400 much of the time, s/he's definitely doing something wrong. Heck, 50 years ago people had grainy ISO 800 and 1600 and they were still able to get pretty awesome photos.

-- hide signature --

Check my blog for reviews, tips & tutorials:
Amateur Nikon
Follow me on Twitter:
@amateurnikon

Adventsam OP Veteran Member • Posts: 4,983
Re: You don't shoot events

rhlpetrus wrote:

If you did you'd know why there's no such a thing as too much high ISO.

-- hide signature --

Renato. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/ OnExposure member http://www.onexposure.net/ Good shooting and good luck (after Ed Murrow)

85mm f1.4/1.8's, 200mm f2.8's, what event are you shooting that is so dark!

panos_m Senior Member • Posts: 1,290
Re: You don't shoot events
3

Adventsam wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

If you did you'd know why there's no such a thing as too much high ISO.

-- hide signature --

Renato. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/ OnExposure member http://www.onexposure.net/ Good shooting and good luck (after Ed Murrow)

85mm f1.4/1.8's, 200mm f2.8's, what event are you shooting that is so dark!

Even with constant f/2.8 camera meter desperately asks for 3200 and beyond because you have to use a high enough shutter speed to freeze motion. So I will second that: there's no such a thing as too much high ISO :).

-- hide signature --

Panagiotis

TheronFamily Forum Pro • Posts: 19,983
Re: You don't shoot events

one where the primary light source is those little strip lights (fairy lights) for ambience.

4EV does not even begin to cover it.

-- hide signature --
 TheronFamily's gear list:TheronFamily's gear list
Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM
Adventsam OP Veteran Member • Posts: 4,983
Re: You don't shoot events

panos_m wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

If you did you'd know why there's no such a thing as too much high ISO.

-- hide signature --

Renato. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/ OnExposure member http://www.onexposure.net/ Good shooting and good luck (after Ed Murrow)

85mm f1.4/1.8's, 200mm f2.8's, what event are you shooting that is so dark!

Even with constant f/2.8 camera meter desperately asks for 3200 and beyond because you have to use a high enough shutter speed to freeze motion. So I will second that: there's no such a thing as too much high ISO :).

-- hide signature --

Panagiotis

Like I said, if this is where you have to go, then you have to go there, but its the same for everybody! iso6400 is not a panacea, its gain added at a large amount and you only have so much headroom. Maybe new sensor's in 10 years time. Trying to eak out comparisons of this cam and that cam at iso6400, pointless, its all average. Might be better to shoot video and extract the images, you only need 1/50 sec @25p you will get some blur but also you 25fps/sec to choose from. Of course you cant do that with all dslr's as the quality of sony sensors in video is a bit naff, offering limited amount of actual lines of resolution, however, the d5200 appears to have plenty

panos_m Senior Member • Posts: 1,290
Re: You don't shoot events
2

Adventsam wrote:

iso6400 is not a panacea, its gain added at a large amount and you only have so much headroom.

You don't have to set iso 6400. You can "underexpose" lower iso in order to protect the highlight headroom and then apply the gain in post.

-- hide signature --

Panagiotis

Adventsam OP Veteran Member • Posts: 4,983
Re: You don't shoot events

TheronFamily wrote:

one where the primary light source is those little strip lights (fairy lights) for ambience.

4EV does not even begin to cover it.

-- hide signature --

Have you tried shooting raw and pulling back the shadows? should be good for 3 stops in lr4, therefore, f1.4 at iso1000 and 1/100 sec maybe more should be possible with 4ev!

Adventsam OP Veteran Member • Posts: 4,983
Re: You don't shoot events

panos_m wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

iso6400 is not a panacea, its gain added at a large amount and you only have so much headroom.

You don't have to set iso 6400. You can "underexpose" lower iso in order to protect the highlight headroom and then apply the gain in post.

-- hide signature --

Panagiotis

Exactly, I just said the same below, that's exactly what you would do, well most normal people will try and stick below iso1000 and pull it back in raw in post.

panos_m Senior Member • Posts: 1,290
Re: You don't shoot events

Adventsam wrote:

panos_m wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

iso6400 is not a panacea, its gain added at a large amount and you only have so much headroom.

You don't have to set iso 6400. You can "underexpose" lower iso in order to protect the highlight headroom and then apply the gain in post.

-- hide signature --

Panagiotis

Exactly, I just said the same below, that's exactly what you would do, well most normal people will try and stick below iso1000 and pull it back in raw in post.

Yes but doing this linearly there is no different than using higher iso in the first place. If you push iso 800 linearly 3 stops you have iso 6400 noise wise. So in a sense you need in the first place a camera that will respond well to severe underexposure which is the other name of high iso :).

-- hide signature --

Panagiotis

TheronFamily Forum Pro • Posts: 19,983
Re: You don't shoot events
1

Adventsam wrote:

therefore, f1.4 at iso1000 and 1/100 sec maybe more should be possible with 4ev!

If all I needed was focusing agility (f/1.4) and totally disregarded required DOF (f/8), hey, by all means ...

f1/4 @ 1000 @ 1/100s =

f/8 @ 1000 @ 1/4s

f/8 @ 6400 = 3.something stops = give or take 1/40s.

Now this all in natural light, without flash to freeze motion and obtain DOF, yeah, I don't need no ISO6400.

no? (Even though I suspect my reply will be shot down in flames anyhoo)

-- hide signature --
 TheronFamily's gear list:TheronFamily's gear list
Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM
Adventsam OP Veteran Member • Posts: 4,983
Re: You don't shoot events

TheronFamily wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

therefore, f1.4 at iso1000 and 1/100 sec maybe more should be possible with 4ev!

If all I needed was focusing agility (f/1.4) and totally disregarded required DOF (f/8), hey, by all means ...

f1/4 @ 1000 @ 1/100s =

f/8 @ 1000 @ 1/4s

f/8 @ 6400 = 3.something stops = give or take 1/40s.

Now this all in natural light, without flash to freeze motion and obtain DOF, yeah, I don't need no ISO6400.

What exactly are you trying to do? even physics has a limitation! so you want f8 now in 4ev, post a sample?

no? (Even though I suspect my reply will be shot down in flames anyhoo)

-- hide signature --
TheronFamily Forum Pro • Posts: 19,983
Re: You don't shoot events

Adventsam wrote:


What exactly are you trying to do? even physics has a limitation! so you want f8 now in 4ev, post a sample?

erhm, physics is not the limitation, it's the lack of high ISO to drive it.

How I prefer to make us of DOF and in what light should really not be dictated by you.

I prefer rational choice.

-- hide signature --
 TheronFamily's gear list:TheronFamily's gear list
Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM
Mako2011
Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,265
Moved

Thread moved to more appropriate forum as not camera specific

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Osvaldo Cristo
Osvaldo Cristo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,109
Trends of the moment...
2

Trends of the moment... I remind in the dark ages of film camera the hot point was fps! 99% of the people had no idea to really use a motor drive at the higher speed, but it was the top criterious most amateurs bought their cameras!

Currently high ISO and megapixels are the hype of the hosts. Clever manufacturers know to use these trends to their business...

Regards,

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

 Osvaldo Cristo's gear list:Osvaldo Cristo's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon D810 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +32 more
Robert Anderson Senior Member • Posts: 2,261
Re: What is this fascination with iso6400?

Ever shoot a wedding in a dimly lit church where flash is not allowed? ISO 3200 is often not enough to avoid blurred images, even with fast glass.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads