First shots with my LX7

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
guyindasky
guyindasky Regular Member • Posts: 323
First shots with my LX7
1

Well for the most part since I got my LX7 in late December I've been a lurker...reading others posts and being a voyeur and viewing others photos. Ok, well I've finally processed some of my RAW photos after building a computer that could handle Lightroom. Please feel free to offer constructive criticism as I learn more from that rather than just adding nice comments (however, those are welcome too). In regards to PP skills, I try not to take away from the composition by overcooking any treatment but I am far from being an expert.

Lobby of the Hyatt Regency in SFO.

Street vendor near the Embarcadero in SFO.

The Hyatt Regency in SFO

Vegetable stand at the Reading Market Place in Philadelphia.

Diner counter in the Reading Market Place in Philadelphia.

Vegetable stand in the Reading Market Place in Philadelphia.

On the sunny streets of SFO on a warm January day.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
howardfuhrman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,630
Re: First shots with my LX7

You are off to a great start--nice photos.

morepix
morepix Veteran Member • Posts: 8,797
Some thoughts on your set of photos

You evidently like geometric patterns: #s 1, 3, and 7. Photo #1 is a nice piece of op art, found on the floor; #3 is pleasing use of light and shadow. As for #7, I'm particular about alignment, so if it were mine, I'd nudge the lower corners to straighten out the row of stones at the bottom. Not a big thing.

They're all pleasant photos, that have, taken as a whole, little in common other than the three geometry pieces. Another preference of mine is, when I'm showing a set of photos, that they have something in common that makes them a set. I was really struck by the force of that when looking at a wonderful bunch of iPhone photos by Julieanne Kost, Adobe Photoshop evangelist. They depict the simplest of subjects displayed in pairs or threes. Have a look, if you're interested, at her "Moments Alone" series, of which she's posted three, as far as I know: 2011 , 2012 , and 2013. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

Thanks for showing your LX7 images. I've had an LX7 for about the same amount of time as you have, and I'm finding it a real pleasure.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

 morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Olympus OM-D E-M10
guyindasky
guyindasky OP Regular Member • Posts: 323
Re: Some thoughts on your set of photos

morepix wrote:

You evidently like geometric patterns: #s 1, 3, and 7. Photo #1 is a nice piece of op art, found on the floor; #3 is pleasing use of light and shadow. As for #7, I'm particular about alignment, so if it were mine, I'd nudge the lower corners to straighten out the row of stones at the bottom. Not a big thing.

They're all pleasant photos, that have, taken as a whole, little in common other than the three geometry pieces. Another preference of mine is, when I'm showing a set of photos, that they have something in common that makes them a set. I was really struck by the force of that when looking at a wonderful bunch of iPhone photos by Julieanne Kost, Adobe Photoshop evangelist. They depict the simplest of subjects displayed in pairs or threes. Have a look, if you're interested, at her "Moments Alone" series, of which she's posted three, as far as I know: 2011 , 2012 , and 2013. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

Thanks for showing your LX7 images. I've had an LX7 for about the same amount of time as you have, and I'm finding it a real pleasure.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

Thanks for your comments David. I do have an affinity for patterns, shape, repetition and shadows while at the same time I try and force myself out of my typical shooting style, hence my attempt at some street photography. I do like street photography and it takes a bit of effort on my part to break out of my shell and take shots of people.

I've seen some of Julieanne Kost's videos before on using LR but I'll have to take a look at those links you added to see some more of her work.

lapdog99
lapdog99 Regular Member • Posts: 443
Re: First shots with my LX7

The Hyatt and the Embarcadero are a photo rich area, and was one of the highlights of the  Google Plus photography walk last year.  Why didn't you shoot the dramatic hanging lights and  elevator capsules.  Nice start.

 lapdog99's gear list:lapdog99's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Ray Sachs
Ray Sachs Forum Pro • Posts: 10,475
Re: First shots with my LX7

I love those two Hyatt shots from San Francisco. And the B&W from Reading Terminal. I live near Philly and spend a lot of time there. And I spent summers near Prescott as a kid...

Enjoy the new camera!

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

guyindasky
guyindasky OP Regular Member • Posts: 323
Re: First shots with my LX7

howardfuhrman wrote:

You are off to a great start--nice photos.

Thanks Howard.

guyindasky
guyindasky OP Regular Member • Posts: 323
Re: First shots with my LX7

lapdog99 wrote:

The Hyatt and the Embarcadero are a photo rich area, and was one of the highlights of the Google Plus photography walk last year. Why didn't you shoot the dramatic hanging lights and elevator capsules. Nice start.

Actually I did take some shots of of the hanging lights and elevator capsules but wasn't completely happy with the results.

Darrell Spreen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,368
Great first set!
1

I like patterns and textures and yours are superb!  My only criticism is that the lady's portrait looks cold (a bit of a blue tone) on my monitor and is probably not the most flattering.  The old quote is: "no one ever returned a portrait for being too warm".  But forgive me if that was your intention.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

guyindasky
guyindasky OP Regular Member • Posts: 323
Re: Great first set!

Darrell Spreen wrote:

I like patterns and textures and yours are superb! My only criticism is that the lady's portrait looks cold (a bit of a blue tone) on my monitor and is probably not the most flattering. The old quote is: "no one ever returned a portrait for being too warm". But forgive me if that was your intention.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

That's a good observation Darrell in regards to the "coldness" of the portrait. I'm guessing I didn't change the WB from Auto to Cloudy as the temp was 5800. Moving it up to about 7800 gave it a much better feel. Her demeanor was warm so no, it was not my intent to make her look cold despite the actual temp that day.

snap
snap Veteran Member • Posts: 5,774
Re: First shots with my LX7

Guy, beautiful and wonderful first series with your LX7.

It was like Déjà vu as I was looking at your images. Three weeks ago I was in SF with my LX7 and took the same Tiled Floor at Hyatt & backlit pedestrians on Market Street. 

Cheers

Rick

 snap's gear list:snap's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Pentax K-r +26 more
guyindasky
guyindasky OP Regular Member • Posts: 323
Re: First shots with my LX7

Ray Sachs wrote:

I love those two Hyatt shots from San Francisco. And the B&W from Reading Terminal. I live near Philly and spend a lot of time there. And I spent summers near Prescott as a kid...

Enjoy the new camera!

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

Thanks Ray, it's such a small world. Places like Philly and SFO are rich with material to shoot. Sometimes the only problem is not being visually distracted with all the options. I'm guessing you have been to Eastern State Penitentiary at some point in time...a bit touristy but a great old facility.

guyindasky
guyindasky OP Regular Member • Posts: 323
Re: First shots with my LX7

snap wrote:

Guy, beautiful and wonderful first series with your LX7.

It was like Déjà vu as I was looking at your images. Three weeks ago I was in SF with my LX7 and took the same Tiled Floor at Hyatt & backlit pedestrians on Market Street.

Cheers

Rick

Very nice shots Rick...apparently you and I share a similar eye when it comes to photography.

guyindasky
guyindasky OP Regular Member • Posts: 323
Re: Some thoughts on your set of photos

morepix wrote:

You evidently like geometric patterns: #s 1, 3, and 7. Photo #1 is a nice piece of op art, found on the floor; #3 is pleasing use of light and shadow. As for #7, I'm particular about alignment, so if it were mine, I'd nudge the lower corners to straighten out the row of stones at the bottom. Not a big thing.

They're all pleasant photos, that have, taken as a whole, little in common other than the three geometry pieces. Another preference of mine is, when I'm showing a set of photos, that they have something in common that makes them a set. I was really struck by the force of that when looking at a wonderful bunch of iPhone photos by Julieanne Kost, Adobe Photoshop evangelist. They depict the simplest of subjects displayed in pairs or threes. Have a look, if you're interested, at her "Moments Alone" series, of which she's posted three, as far as I know: 2011 , 2012 , and 2013. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

Thanks for showing your LX7 images. I've had an LX7 for about the same amount of time as you have, and I'm finding it a real pleasure.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

Thanks for the suggestion on straightening the bricks...I tried that and I definitely like that better.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads