46 megapixel canon Locked

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
ben sensler Regular Member • Posts: 104
46 megapixel canon

A few months ago, there was a lot of discussion about the arrival of Canon's high megapixel answer to the Nikon 800d.  There were confident predictions that it would have 46 mp and that it would show up soon.  I haven't seen any discussion or even speculation since October.  Is this camera coming or not?  If I buy more Canon lenses in the meantime on the assumption that I will have a high megapixel camera to put them on within a year or so, will I regret buying these lenses and wish that instead I  had switched to Nikon's system?

Does Canon realize that there are Canon users who aren't buying Canon lenses these days because of uncertainty about Canon's intentions with respect to staying in the high megapixel race?

Jane79
Jane79 Regular Member • Posts: 467
Re: 46 megapixel canon

Different rumour sites say different things. I think both Nikon and Canon will launch new high MP pro models this year. The cameras are overdue.

Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,683

ben sensler wrote:

Does Canon realize that there are Canon users who aren't buying Canon lenses these days because of uncertainty about Canon's intentions with respect to staying in the high megapixel race?

Like who?

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +14 more
Phil Hill Senior Member • Posts: 2,757
What race?

ben sensler wrote:

How can you have a race with only one player?  Anyway, Canon lenses seem to be selling quite well.  Cameras too.

qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350

I don't need 46mp but I still bought Canon best lenses - 17 TS-E, 24-70L/2.8 II and 70-200L/2.8 IS II, arguably also the best in 35mm DSLR world. I still can see IQ improvements from these best Canon lenses on 22mp 5D3 compared to 17-40L, 24-105L and 70-200L/4.0 IS.

-- hide signature --
Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,683

qianp2k wrote:

I don't need 46mp but I still bought Canon best lenses - 17 TS-E, 24-70L/2.8 II and 70-200L/2.8 IS II, arguably also the best in 35mm DSLR world. I still can see IQ improvements from these best Canon lenses on 22mp 5D3 compared to 17-40L, 24-105L and 70-200L/4.0 IS.

Shhhhhh! We're trying to trick Canon into thinking we're not buying any more of their lenses until they get a 46 megapixel camera on the market. Talk like this will ruin everything!

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +14 more

Scott Larson wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

I don't need 46mp but I still bought Canon best lenses - 17 TS-E, 24-70L/2.8 II and 70-200L/2.8 IS II, arguably also the best in 35mm DSLR world. I still can see IQ improvements from these best Canon lenses on 22mp 5D3 compared to 17-40L, 24-105L and 70-200L/4.0 IS.

Shhhhhh! We're trying to trick Canon into thinking we're not buying any more of their lenses until they get a 46 megapixel camera on the market. Talk like this will ruin everything!

haha. But you still can enjoy improved IQ from Canon best lenses. Arguably Canon have more good lenses that can take advantage of high MP than Nikon at this moment.

It's funny that many Canon shooters actually want a $3000 or less D800-like small-body 39/46mp camera not a $7000 1DsX while many Nikon shooters want a 5D3-like 24mp D700X not a $7000 D800X.

Better DR is more important than 46mp to me. I can accept a future 46mp small-body camera only if doesn’t increase price. Then I can just use M1-raw to generate 23mp RAW photos for my needs.

-- hide signature --
riknash Veteran Member • Posts: 6,874

qianp2k wrote:

....snip..

Then I can just use M1-raw to generate 23mp RAW photos for my needs.

Will the 46 MP sensor be just as noisy as the present 7D's?  By switching to MRAW does the noise reduce by half or at least some close-to amount? Does the dynamic range also change when switching to MRAW? Will it make me a better photographer? (LOL) Will the frame rate double if switched to MRAW?

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x HTC One

riknash wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

....snip..

Then I can just use M1-raw to generate 23mp RAW photos for my needs.

Will the 46 MP sensor be just as noisy as the present 7D's?

Assuming 46mp Canon sensor is as efficient as current 36mp D800' one, it will be cleaner than 7D even at pixel level no mention at photo level at a given size.

By switching to MRAW does the noise reduce by half or at least some close-to amount?

Not at the given size. But if you don't print/view big, you will not tell much difference.

Does the dynamic range also change when switching to MRAW?

DR has nothing to do with the size.

Will it make me a better photographer? (LOL)

LOL. If you don't need to print to huge billboard size, I just don't see how 46mp has much meaningful benifits but only choke processing speed and storage. 20-24mp is enough for a 4K resolution monitor that at 30" or less that is very expensive at this moment.  I also don't believe over-cropping that never a replacement to a native longer lens.

Will the frame rate double if switched to MRAW?

In current Canon cameras, binning doesn't increase burst rate. Not sure if it's technically possible. Nevertheless I prefer a (cheaper) 20-24mp 8fps small-body FF camera over an (expensive) 3-5fps 46mp (large-body) camera.

-- hide signature --
Cane Veteran Member • Posts: 6,900

ben sensler wrote:

A few months ago, there was a lot of discussion about the arrival of Canon's high megapixel answer to the Nikon 800d. There were confident predictions that it would have 46 mp and that it would show up soon. I haven't seen any discussion or even speculation since October. Is this camera coming or not? If I buy more Canon lenses in the meantime on the assumption that I will have a high megapixel camera to put them on within a year or so, will I regret buying these lenses and wish that instead I had switched to Nikon's system?

Lenses like you are talking about for a 46mp camera are lenses you keep for life, yet you want this 46 mp camera within a year? LOL. Bodies are only good for a little while. One year canon will be ahead, one year Nikon. There will always be something better. Buy in for the lenses, not the body. If not, one day you the odds are you are going to be disappointing.

Seriously, if you can buy a 46mp body and a bunch of lenses just to go on that body, you can afford to sell them and switch if Nikon suits you better down the road. It's not the end of the world.

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 23,685

qianp2k wrote:

Sure you can; there is no concrete threshold where sharper lenses can not be more noticeable; even if the AA filter restricts maximum neighbor pixel contrast to X%, it can not be fully X% unless the lens is a hypothetical one with no loss of detail.  The sharper the lens, the closer to X% the pixel contrast can be.  However, with low pixel density, you are working more towards a contrasty pixelation, instead of increased analog details.

Canonero Regular Member • Posts: 449
Canon 1DsII since nov 2004, and still waiting

I have the Canon 1DsII since Nov 2004, when Canon 1DsIII came out i was a bit disappointed, in photokina 2010 more disappointed (no upgrade for my 1DsII), but when Nikon launch the D800E at 36Mp and Canon the 5DIII i was VERY, VERY annoyed and disappointed, for landscape work, i ONLY want resolution, still waiting (the last years) if Canon don´t make a high res camera this year i will buy the Nikon D800E and 16-35 lens.

I am TIRED of waiting

Canonero's gear list:Canonero's gear list
Sigma 40mm F1.4 DG HSM
Re: Canon 1DsII since nov 2004, and still waiting

Canonero wrote:

I have the Canon 1DsII since Nov 2004, when Canon 1DsIII came out i was a bit disappointed, in photokina 2010 more disappointed (no upgrade for my 1DsII), but when Nikon launch the D800E at 36Mp and Canon the 5DIII i was VERY, VERY annoyed and disappointed, for landscape work, i ONLY want resolution, still waiting (the last years) if Canon don´t make a high res camera this year i will buy the Nikon D800E and 16-35 lens.

I am TIRED of waiting

Bad news that according to CanonRumor.com such high pixel camera will not arrive until next year, and will be on 1D like body so will not be cheap anyway. Instead of waiting for another year and might have to spend $7k you can get D800E now with 14-24G and 70-200G/4.0 VR and 50/1.4G or Sigma 35/1.4 with that money.

-- hide signature --
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 29,997

ben sensler wrote:

There were confident predictions that it would have 46 mp and that it would show up soon. I haven't seen any discussion or even speculation since October.

Predictions?  They were probably more like "wishes".  Canonrumors.com states no high pixel count until next year while Canon puts out better L lenses before that camera launch.

So you are speaking for "many" Canon users?  Really?  And Canon is the most popular camera brand in the world, they aren't bowing out of anything.

mmmmmmmm Senior Member • Posts: 2,666
I would not switch to Nikon - a Nikon owner

Don't be silly and fall for the megapixel race!!!  I own the D800 and I just found out today, after serious testing, that the mirror box is miss aligned and both the left and right focus point are not focusing correctly.

I tested both the right, center, and left focus points in live view and the camera focused correctly - real sharp test image.  When I went to phase detect with the mirror down all three of the focus points were off.  The center focus point was almost as sharp as live view but the left and right points were way soft.

Right now Both the D800 and D600 are causing Nikon serious problems.  The focus of the D800 can be bad, what percentage of all D800s I don't know, and the D600 has oil splatter problems on the sensor.

If I did not own $35000 worth of Nikon I would switch to Canon in a heartbeat!!.  I am 70 years old and probably won't be taking pictures full time much longer which is the second reason not to switch.

Canon has better flesh tones and I think better portrait lenses.  From what I read Canon has good customer service, another think Nikon is terrible at.  It really PMOff that Nikon does not acknowledge the problems with the D800 or D600.  Right now you have the best(Canon) so stay with the best.

respectfully,

DAvid Miller

mmmmmmmm's gear list:mmmmmmmm's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 17,870
That rumor was changed to "nothing in 2013".

ben sensler wrote:

A few months ago, there was a lot of discussion about the arrival of Canon's high megapixel answer to the Nikon 800d. There were confident predictions that it would have 46 mp and that it would show up soon. I haven't seen any discussion or even speculation since October. Is this camera coming or not? If I buy more Canon lenses in the meantime on the assumption that I will have a high megapixel camera to put them on within a year or so, will I regret buying these lenses and wish that instead I had switched to Nikon's system?

I bought a D800E because by last November it was clear that Canon doesn't have the goods yet plus the rumors are centering around a 1 series body, a bit of a mistake IMO. I am a dual platform shooter anyway so I am not switching anything.

This time last year, I had not intended on buying the D800E or the 5D3. Some of us were expecting a 5D X type camera instead of the 5D3 and I wanted my 30+ MP camera to be one that could replace the 5D2. Things change.

Listen, there are too many unique Canon lenses to consider abandoning Canon, the TSE 17mm, the 24-70 II, 24-70/4, 24-105, the f1.2s, 100L Macro come to mind for my style of shooting. I'm sure there are others.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a7R IV Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW +11 more
Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 17,870
There's got to be two in a race.

ben sensler wrote:

staying in the high megapixel race?

Well, maybe Nikon can race itself.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a7R IV Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW +11 more
J. Michael Veteran Member • Posts: 4,418
I'd prefer Higher DR......

..........more detail/less noise in shadows, better tonal gradation, better highlight roll off (less harsh highlight clipping) than more mega-photosites.

Unfortunately most consumers think more mega-whatever means better images (which we "all" know isn't true) but somehow it's (wrongly) become the benchmark.

Mike

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,521

ben sensler wrote:

you know how funny this is.

when canon led and basically was single handily winning the race for .. YEARS .. this forum was all about .. I want LESS pixels.

it people aren't buying lenses because of the uncertainty of canon releasing a higher Mp body in the future - they are idiots.

no offense.. but really.

ScottD1964 Senior Member • Posts: 1,932

And what happens once this 46MP or whatever high resolution body comes out and it out resolves the "best lenses in the 35mm DSLR world"?  Will we then be wishing for the 70-200 f2.8 L IS MkIII, etc to match the resolution of the body???

Just a big vicious cycle cooked up by Canon and Nikon to provide a reason behind skyrocketing lens prices.  Like they say about a fool and his money.

Flame away!

Scott

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads