K511s sharpness.

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Questions
j tokarz Regular Member • Posts: 471
K511s sharpness.

I have a k5 and am really happy with it. Does anyone have both the k5 and k511s, and if so can they see a difference in the sharpness in the files.  Can the difference be replicated in photoshop ?. Thanks in advance.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
fakuryu
fakuryu Senior Member • Posts: 1,329
Re: K511s sharpness.

From what I've seen, both with good glass, it will be hard to determine which is which. Tried both K5 and K5IIs (engineering sample with beta FW), the AF definitely is one of its strongest points.

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
OP j tokarz Regular Member • Posts: 471

Thankyou.

koseng Forum Member • Posts: 57

I've just upgraded my K5 to K5iis and have no regret. It's noticeable sharper. Of course you can always sharpen your file in PP but sharpening adds noise. I shoot raw and my sharpening for K5 was 50 1.0 50. With iis, now I can just leave it to default of 25 1.0 25 and I can see more details.

K5iis is not just sharper, overall is a better camera. I also loved my K5 but its AF sometimes let me down. The AF of iis is quicker and importantly more accurate. And you can focus in the dark. Also there is no need to do any fine focus adjustment on any of my Pentax lenses, so the back focus issue of K5 has gone, at least to my 4 lenses.

I also find iis is a bit refine, gone is the jammed SD card slot.

So overall I'm very happy about the upgrade.

OP j tokarz Regular Member • Posts: 471

Thanks, you have answered exactly what i wanted to know.

Richard the picture man Veteran Member • Posts: 3,037

Perhaps this will help.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/pentax-k-5-iis-digital-slr-review-21127

I am still using the K5 and loving it. However, when the price drops reckon I will get one.

-- hide signature --

Regards - Richard
Happy guy with a K5
N.B. All my Images, even the bad ones, are Protected by Copyright

Richard the picture man's gear list:Richard the picture man's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 II Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM
Dale108
Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,205

I sold a K5 to get a K5IIs so haven't used both of them side by side.  My experience is that the K5IIs doesn't need extra sharpening when you use good glass and technique.  There is quite a difference in my estimation.  And yes the AF is better in low light.

Dale

Dale108's gear list:Dale108's gear list
Pentax K-1
Model Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 3,594

koseng wrote:

I've just upgraded my K5 to K5iis and have no regret. It's noticeable sharper. Of course you can always sharpen your file in PP but sharpening adds noise. I shoot raw and my sharpening for K5 was 50 1.0 50. With iis, now I can just leave it to default of 25 1.0 25 and I can see more details.

A couple of monts ago, I upgraded from a K-5 to K-5 II (i.e. the regular one, not the S). I've used it with a few lenses now, and find that I need consistently less capture sharpening with the new body. I shoot in RAW with Lightroom.

Assuming that the sharpening scale in Lightoom hasn't changed, I can't explain it other than that AA filter on the II is perhaps weaker than the K-5. Wonder if anyone else can corroborate this?

-- hide signature --
fakuryu
fakuryu Senior Member • Posts: 1,329

Model Mike wrote:

Assuming that the sharpening scale in Lightoom hasn't changed, I can't explain it other than that AA filter on the II is perhaps weaker than the K-5. Wonder if anyone else can corroborate this?

-- hide signature --

From what I've read somewhere here before, the K5II has the same weak AA filter of the K01 and K30

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Donald B
Donald B Veteran Member • Posts: 9,258

j tokarz wrote:

I have a k5 and am really happy with it. Does anyone have both the k5 and k511s, and if so can they see a difference in the sharpness in the files. Can the difference be replicated in photoshop ?. Thanks in advance.

10 replies and still no real life comparrision shots ? everyone keeps telling us about better res but still no side by side photos. its the first thing you do when you buy a new camera isnt it ?. ive been waiting waiting waiting waiting.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Pentax K7, Panasonic fz150, Olympus XZ1, my main toys.

il_alexk Senior Member • Posts: 2,326
Not exactly what you expect, but here is the comparison...

I had 2 minutes to play with my K5/Sigma 17-70 and the new K5IIs in a Tokyo shop the shop employees showed up.

Anyway, here are some photos with the lens wide open, slightly different settings with both cameras, indoor, relatively good light ~EV11. Not exactly the landscape scene where K5IIs shines.

For me, the sharpness difference can be easily explained by different AF mechanism in both cameras.

By the way, the DPR image rendering sucks, you may want to download original images from the gallery links to view them offline.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +3 more
AlisonKim Regular Member • Posts: 333
Re: Not exactly what you expect, but here is the comparison...

were those RAW?

I like the coloring of the IIs

-- hide signature --

Alison Kim

Donald B
Donald B Veteran Member • Posts: 9,258
Re: Not exactly what you expect, but here is the comparison...

to me the k5 looks sharper ?

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Pentax K7, Panasonic fz150, Olympus XZ1, my main toys.

jeanphilippe Goube Senior Member • Posts: 1,880

I have both, K5 and K5IIs, the K5IIs is dedicated for birding with the very uncommon FA*600f4.

I have made careful tests with both camera to measure the difference.

The difference is visible, but in my opinion is not worth to spend money replace a K5 by a K5iis; better save bucks and invest in a top quality lens, or wait the next generation camera ! I have bought the K5iis cause I wanted a dedicated camera on the 600, while having another one for use with shorter focals. Or if somebody want to upgrade from a K20D or K10D, the K5iis is certainly the best choice.
Regards

-- hide signature --

jpgoube

jeanphilippe Goube's gear list:jeanphilippe Goube's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Pentax Q Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +13 more
ogl
ogl Senior Member • Posts: 1,426
 ogl's gear list:ogl's gear list
Pentax K200D Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
Model Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 3,594

fakuryu wrote:

From what I've read somewhere here before, the K5II has the same weak AA filter of the K01 and K30

Thanks, that would indeed explain why my K-5 II needs less capture sharpening than the K-5.

Something to bear in mind for those who want to upgrade from a K-5, but feel that the IIs is the only meaningful option. Taking a combination AA filter weakness, AF performance, and price, it seems to me that the 'regular' II is a pretty good compromise.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads