HELP...with editing photos!

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions
Photodug Senior Member • Posts: 1,824
HELP...with editing photos!

I am lost in Mac land and about to toss this confounded machine into the river!

I am a long time PC user for editing my photos and I knew there would be a learning curve switching to Mac, but I didn't realize I needed a PHD!

The computers:

The old: Dell dual core with 6gb of ram running Vista 64.

The new: iMac 27" with 2.7GHz Intel Core i5, 4 gb ram and OSX 10.8.2. (refurbished 2011 model).

My PC workflow:

Via memory card or camera, images are directly downloaded into Zoombrowser and store in files by date taken. I then import raw images into Lightroom 3 and process and then save into the original Zoombrowser file. Images can then be opened in PSE7 for further editing if needed.

My Mac workflow:

None. I am totally lost and frustrated.

I have Lightroom 3 on the mac and also downloaded Imagebrowser (60D version that came with camera) to capture and organize my photos.

As for PSE, I plan on buying the latest edition as soon as I figure out how to move around in OSX.

I would like my workflow to be the same on the Mac as on the PC because that is what I am used to but this old dog can learn new tricks provided they aren't too complicated. The terminology is different also, adding to my confusion.

I tried downloading images directly from my 60D into Imagebrowser but I got a notice that this OSX did not support that function. Awesome! I went to Canon to update the software but it said I needed to attach the camera to the computer during the download. How will that affect my camera? I don't need my 60D software damaged. I assume my camera needs to be turned on during the download?

I can't figure out how to download images saved to a flash drive to Imagebrowser. I can get them into iPhoto but I prefer to use software I am familiar with.

Please help me convert this $1700 anchor into the awesome photo editor I know it can be!

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Doug

www.pbase.com/photodug www.carepages.com/briansbattle

Photodug's gear list:Photodug's gear list
Canon PowerShot Pro1 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sigma dp2 Quattro Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D +8 more
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,381
Re: HELP...with editing photos!

Photodug wrote:

My PC workflow:

Via memory card or camera, images are directly downloaded into Zoombrowser and store in files by date taken. I then import raw images into Lightroom 3 and process and then save into the original Zoombrowser file. Images can then be opened in PSE7 for further editing if needed.

Can you give me any good reason why you did not use LR for all these steps? LR can import directly from memory cards, it can rename files by date taken during import and it can create a folder structure based on date and copy the renamed files into that. And you can open images directly into PSE from LR and save them back into LR.

And all these things work identically on Macs as on PCs.

OP Photodug Senior Member • Posts: 1,824

noirdesir wrote:

Photodug wrote:

My PC workflow:

Can you give me any good reason why you did not use LR for all these steps? LR can import directly from memory cards, it can rename files by date taken during import and it can create a folder structure based on date and copy the renamed files into that. And you can open images directly into PSE from LR and save them back into LR.

I just recently acquired LR and previously converted raw images in DPP so I had years of files organized in Zoombrowser on the PC. With the Mac I will want to import some of the images from the PC via flash drive.

If I use LR to organize my images will I really need PSE? I am still learning LR and am not sure what advantages or additional editing options PSE might have over LR. It would be great to streamline my workflow.

I just do basic photo editing, raw conversion, color adjustments, contrast, sharpening, noise reduction and cropping.

Thank you,

Doug

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot Pro1 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sigma dp2 Quattro Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D +8 more

Photodug wrote:

noirdesir wrote:

Photodug wrote:

My PC workflow:

I just recently acquired LR and previously converted raw images in DPP so I had years of files organized in Zoombrowser on the PC. With the Mac I will want to import some of the images from the PC via flash drive.

While LR is a very powerful tool that once you know it let's you work quite efficiently, its UI is rather cluttered and at the beginning it can be a bit difficult to find what you want and to figure out what all of its capabilities are.

If I use LR to organize my images will I really need PSE? I am still learning LR and am not sure what advantages or additional editing options PSE might have over LR. It would be great to streamline my workflow.

You'll mainly need PSE for non-global adjustments although LR does offer some local adjustments, PSE gives you much options in this regard.

I just do basic photo editing, raw conversion, color adjustments, contrast, sharpening, noise reduction and cropping.

All these can easily be done in LR.

noirdesir wrote:

Photodug wrote:

noirdesir wrote:

Photodug wrote:

My PC workflow:

While LR is a very powerful tool that once you know it let's you work quite efficiently, its UI is rather cluttered and at the beginning it can be a bit difficult to find what you want and to figure out what all of its capabilities are.

You'll mainly need PSE for non-global adjustments although LR does offer some local adjustments, PSE gives you much options in this regard.

All these can easily be done in LR.

OK, I just figured out how to import images from my 60D to LR and they are cataloged by date. But, I  tried inserting the SD card into the built-in card reader and I couldn't get them to import into LR. Downloading new images via the camera is typically what I did on the PC.

Now I have to figure out how to import images from a flash drive so I can bring over my other images.

Thanks for your help!

Doug

-- hide signature --

seeblue Senior Member • Posts: 1,566

One simple way, after the SD card/flash drive mounts, open it up and "drag and drop" a folder of images onto the Lightroom icon.

Photodug wrote:

OK, I just figured out how to import images from my 60D to LR and they are cataloged by date. But, I tried inserting the SD card into the built-in card reader and I couldn't get them to import into LR. Downloading new images via the camera is typically what I did on the PC.

Now I have to figure out how to import images from a flash drive so I can bring over my other images.

The SD card should show up under Devices and under Files.

seeblue wrote:

One simple way, after the SD card/flash drive mounts, open it up and "drag and drop" a folder of images onto the Lightroom icon.

That would be simple! I will give that a try...thank you very much!

-- hide signature --

noirdesir wrote:

Photodug wrote:

OK, I just figured out how to import images from my 60D to LR and they are cataloged by date. But, I tried inserting the SD card into the built-in card reader and I couldn't get them to import into LR. Downloading new images via the camera is typically what I did on the PC.

The SD card should show up under Devices and under Files.

Cool...I will check that out. I really appreciate all of your help!

-- hide signature --

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,484
Read A Book and Start Enjoying Your Mac Sooner Than Later...

You will save yourself a lot of time and frustration if you get the Kindle edition of "Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Mountain Lion Edition." (http://www.amazon.com/Switching-Mac-Missing-Mountain-Edition/dp/1449330290/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_10)

It won't help with your Lightroom questions but it is an excellent guide that will help you quickly get up-and-running with your new Mac. Pogue knows his way around both Windows and OS X; the book details the operational differences and how to transfer data from a PC to a Mac. It also includes an in-depth Mountain Lion manual that is easy to read and understand.

I like the Kindle edition because I can read it on the Mac that I am using via the free Kindle for Mac application. And you have 7 days to "return" the book if it doesn't float your cork. I have recommended the book to numerous Mac newbies and their feedback has been universally appreciative for the assistance in making the transition a smooth one.

CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 5,507
Re: Read A Book and Start Enjoying Your Mac Sooner Than Later...

You need to decide whether to use Imagebrowser or Lightroom, but since both software programs are designed to do the same thing, it becomes very complicated to try to use both simultaneously   It is sort of like trying to be a meat eating vegan.  Assuming you want to stick with Lightroom, you appear to have figured out how to import your new images into LR.  Adding your existing images to the LR catalog is very simple.  When in the Library module, look at the lower left.  You will see Import dialog box. Click it. You will be taken to a screen where you should see all your existing drives and file folders arranged along the left column.  Highlight the folders you want to import to the Lightroom Catalog. Along the top, find the ADD to Catalog choice and click it.  LR will  import all your images in their current location to the LR Catalog.  See many of the great Lightroom tutorials on Adobe.TV.com for help with this. Search for Julieanne Kost's videos.

new york texan New Member • Posts: 1

i suggest watching the LR video tutorials on the adobe site.  i just converted to using LR (and a Mac), and found these helpful in getting started and understanding the intricacies of LR.

http://tv.adobe.com/show/getting-started-with-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-4/

http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-lightroom-4/

Re: Read A Book and Start Enjoying Your Mac Sooner Than Later...

Thank you for the link! Sounds like it would be a very helpful book.

Doug

-- hide signature --

Re: Read A Book and Start Enjoying Your Mac Sooner Than Later...Carl...

CameraCarl wrote:

You need to decide whether to use Imagebrowser or Lightroom, but since both software programs are designed to do the same thing, it becomes very complicated to try to use both simultaneously It is sort of like trying to be a meat eating vegan. Assuming you want to stick with Lightroom, you appear to have figured out how to import your new images into LR. Adding your existing images to the LR catalog is very simple. When in the Library module, look at the lower left. You will see Import dialog box. Click it. You will be taken to a screen where you should see all your existing drives and file folders arranged along the left column. Highlight the folders you want to import to the Lightroom Catalog. Along the top, find the ADD to Catalog choice and click it. LR will import all your images in their current location to the LR Catalog. See many of the great Lightroom tutorials on Adobe.TV.com for help with this. Search for Julieanne Kost's videos.

Thank you Carl! My "weekend" is Tuesday and Wednesday so I will have more time to learning my way around this new computer.

Doug

-- hide signature --

new york texan wrote:

i suggest watching the LR video tutorials on the adobe site. i just converted to using LR (and a Mac), and found these helpful in getting started and understanding the intricacies of LR.

http://tv.adobe.com/show/getting-started-with-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-4/

http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-lightroom-4/

Thank you for the links! I will check them out...appreciate your help!

Doug

-- hide signature --

RESCUEAHERO New Member • Posts: 10

Hi there, it seems that your having the same problem I had 4 years ago. 
Heres a simple-fast workflow I use.

If your planning on using Adobe products:

1. Download files using the OSX Finder (Windows equivalent for explorer). Just browse on the file directory, drag and drop them to you directory/location of choice. For starter you can go to user/pictures/(your desired category name like 'dates')

2. Start exploiting Adobe Bridge. It comes free with Photoshop. Adobe Bridge allows you to browse your images even RAW files, much like Lightroom without 'importing' them into your Lightroom library or even converting CR2 to DNG.

3. You can copy and paste develop settings for the whole roll.

4. Adobe Bridge is capable of editing RAW files same as Lighroom. But you'll have to install a plugin for batch export.

Plugins: http://www.tipsquirrel.com/export-multiple-jpeg-files-with-the-bridge-cs5-export-panel/

Plugins: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&extid=1698308

More Adobe Bridge Info here: http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tools-tips/top-10-reasons-you-should-be-using-adobe-bridge/

RESCUEAHERO wrote:

Hi there, it seems that your having the same problem I had 4 years ago.
Heres a simple-fast workflow I use.

If your planning on using Adobe products:

1. Download files using the OSX Finder (Windows equivalent for explorer). Just browse on the file directory, drag and drop them to you directory/location of choice. For starter you can go to user/pictures/(your desired category name like 'dates')

2. Start exploiting Adobe Bridge. It comes free with Photoshop. Adobe Bridge allows you to browse your images even RAW files, much like Lightroom without 'importing' them into your Lightroom library or even converting CR2 to DNG.

3. You can copy and paste develop settings for the whole roll.

4. Adobe Bridge is capable of editing RAW files same as Lighroom. But you'll have to install a plugin for batch export.

Plugins: http://www.tipsquirrel.com/export-multiple-jpeg-files-with-the-bridge-cs5-export-panel/

Plugins: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&extid=1698308

More Adobe Bridge Info here: http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tools-tips/top-10-reasons-you-should-be-using-adobe-bridge/

Thank you for the help. I will try OSX finder as you suggested. I don't have Photoshop and will probably only add the latest Elements version once I figure out how to get my images where I want them.

Doug

-- hide signature --

Alpha Doug Veteran Member • Posts: 9,222

Don't bother with Bridge or Photoshop just now.  First, you need to become more familiar and comfortable with the Macintosh Operating System.  If you don't spend a little time to do this, you will limp along and never quite understand where anything is located to how to access it.  The suggestion to get the "Switching to the Mac" book by David Pogue is not an idle one.  It is almost mandatory for a new Windows user switching over.  In it, you can look up a thing you used to do in Windows and then David will explain how to do that same thing in OS X.  Spend a little time with this until you feel comfortable with how your Macintosh Hard drive is organized and how to locate, move, copy, delete, and such.  Once you feel pretty comfortable, then start working with your images.  And I support the suggestion to not import your images twice.  Also, use the card reader in your iMac.  It will read your images much faster than if you plug your camera into a USB port.  The next suggestion is that after you have become familiar with and comfortable with OS X, then spend a little time on just understanding how "importing" images into the Lightroom Library works.  Then JUST use the import and organization features in the Library to manage your images.  After you have a firm grasp on all of that, then worry about importing all the images from your previous Libraries.

P.S.  If you live fairly close to an Apple Store, you can sign up for a year's worth of One on One tutoring.  You just make an appointment, and an Apple software guy or girl spends an hour with you on some issue you are not getting.  Really worth the investment for new users.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-} www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
RESCUEAHERO New Member • Posts: 10

Alpha Doug wrote:

Don't bother with Bridge or Photoshop just now. First, you need to become more familiar and comfortable with the Macintosh Operating System. If you don't spend a little time to do this, you will limp along and never quite understand where anything is located to how to access it. The suggestion to get the "Switching to the Mac" book by David Pogue is not an idle one. It is almost mandatory for a new Windows user switching over. In it, you can look up a thing you used to do in Windows and then David will explain how to do that same thing in OS X. Spend a little time with this until you feel comfortable with how your Macintosh Hard drive is organized and how to locate, move, copy, delete, and such. Once you feel pretty comfortable, then start working with your images. And I support the suggestion to not import your images twice. Also, use the card reader in your iMac. It will read your images much faster than if you plug your camera into a USB port. The next suggestion is that after you have become familiar with and comfortable with OS X, then spend a little time on just understanding how "importing" images into the Lightroom Library works. Then JUST use the import and organization features in the Library to manage your images. After you have a firm grasp on all of that, then worry about importing all the images from your previous Libraries.

P.S. If you live fairly close to an Apple Store, you can sign up for a year's worth of One on One tutoring. You just make an appointment, and an Apple software guy or girl spends an hour with you on some issue you are not getting. Really worth the investment for new users.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-} www.dougwigton.com/

Yes, I agree. The real problem when switching is learning how to navigate. Also, theres alot of online tutorials and instructional video on YouTube. And for essentials-  probably learning how to use the Finder... in OSX the finder is your best-friend.

Heres a little something to humor yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHO8l-Bd1O4

Thanks Doug. I thought I could figure out...I was wrong. This ain't no PC!

Doug

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads