Tamron 90-300 telemacro 4.5/5.6

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions
brian14478
brian14478 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,703
Tamron 90-300 telemacro 4.5/5.6

I came across this lens a little while back. Info on it is very sparse and examples are either crappy or not much to judge the lens by. There are no reviews at dyxum whatsoever and its not even listed. It was made in 1990 has 9 ap blades sharp open at 90-200. At 250 6.3 is sharp 7.1 wicked sharp. At 300 7.1 is sharp 8/9 wicked sharp.

Focus is spot on,the lens has a great feel/ look and balance...These shots were my first with the lens, i took it out a couple times for a couple hours. My copy is stamped 1990minolta on the back mount. i have no idea why these were 'shelved' back when as it seems a couple copies are literally brand new. The one i purchased looks like it was never mounted on any camera. I bought mine for $125 shipped and its perfect functioning on my a55. There are a couple for sale right now for under $100 on ebay..I found it sold for around $450 back in 1990.

It seems to me a great buy..  better than 'okay' and definately a bit above 'average' for lens class and especially the price(as many are virtually new) . Only had it out a couple hours and i quick edited these to share as info on it is close to non-existant as a tamron lens gets for minolta/sony mount. ...especially picture examples...thanks for checking it out,brian

..i couldnt upload to galleries and had quite a time uploading these from my computer(3-times i had to re-do the post??

Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
brian14478
OP brian14478 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,703
Re: Tamron 90-300 telemacro 4.5/5.6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAMRON-AF-90-300mm-ZOOM-F4-5-5-6-FOR-MINOLTA-MAXXUM-SONY-ALPHA-COMPATIBLE-2X-/251226496789?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3a7e441f15  Wanted to add the birds were around 50% crops  I just saw this one listed around $100 shipped with a tamron bbar7 2x converter**** that is a steal. - The converter alone sells for $75 all day long, but i wouldnt use it with this lens. maybe a prime or macro   thanks again,brian

StayClassy
StayClassy Regular Member • Posts: 296

brian14478 wrote:

I came across this lens a little while back. Info on it is very sparse and examples are either crappy or not much to judge the lens by. There are no reviews at dyxum whatsoever and its not even listed. It was made in 1990 has 9 ap blades sharp open at 90-200. At 250 6.3 is sharp 7.1 wicked sharp. At 300 7.1 is sharp 8/9 wicked sharp.

Focus is spot on,the lens has a great feel/ look and balance...These shots were my first with the lens, i took it out a couple times for a couple hours. My copy is stamped 1990minolta on the back mount. i have no idea why these were 'shelved' back when as it seems a couple copies are literally brand new. The one i purchased looks like it was never mounted on any camera. I bought mine for $125 shipped and its perfect functioning on my a55. There are a couple for sale right now for under $100 on ebay..I found it sold for around $450 back in 1990.

It seems to me a great buy.. better than 'okay' and definately a bit above 'average' for lens class and especially the price(as many are virtually new) . Only had it out a couple hours and i quick edited these to share as info on it is close to non-existant as a tamron lens gets for minolta/sony mount. ...especially picture examples...thanks for checking it out,brian

..i couldnt upload to galleries and had quite a time uploading these from my computer(3-times i had to re-do the post??

Reviving this from the dead to say that I just purchased this lens and should be getting it tomorrow. Any update on it's performance, or if anyone else has it, any test shots?

-- hide signature --

When people ask me whether I'm a photographer, I tell them that I'm more of a time artist. After all, my art is my ability to freeze time and capture a moment forever.

StayClassy's gear list:StayClassy's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF
rob_b Contributing Member • Posts: 890

Super shots. I envy you all those photons - it has been unremittingly grey and wet here in the UK all day - barely got better than twilight. Just out of interest, what disntance from those birds, and how much of a crop?

Thanks

rob_b's gear list:rob_b's gear list
Nikon D850
StayClassy
StayClassy Regular Member • Posts: 296

rob_b wrote:

Super shots. I envy you all those photons - it has been unremittingly grey and wet here in the UK all day - barely got better than twilight. Just out of interest, what disntance from those birds, and how much of a crop?

Thanks

According to his EXIF data, its all being shot at 300mm

-- hide signature --

When people ask me whether I'm a photographer, I tell them that I'm more of a time artist. After all, my art is my ability to freeze time and capture a moment forever.

StayClassy's gear list:StayClassy's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF
rob_b Contributing Member • Posts: 890

That's focal length, not distance to subject, as I suspect you know (sorry, missed the joke!). Brian produces some fantastic images here, and I'm intrigued to know if these are all tame birds that come and sit at the front of his lens. Also, 300mm means the lens was wide open and we all know that 'telephotos are never good at maximum extension' I think here's the evidence to the contrary!

rob_b's gear list:rob_b's gear list
Nikon D850
John De Bord Photography
John De Bord Photography Senior Member • Posts: 1,315

Ahhhh the good old "Tamron Mystery Lens". Seldom seen and seldom used, it is a great lens and one of the best bang for the buck out there. One of my friends who shoots with me has this lens and uses it on a57, he inherited from his grandfather who recently passed and used to shoot Minolta. he absolutely loves it and rightfully so, it is sharp as a tack. Love the smooth bokeh it produces. Why this lens has not gotten more attention beats me.

-- hide signature --
brian14478
OP brian14478 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,703

rob_b wrote:

That's focal length, not distance to subject, as I suspect you know (sorry, missed the joke!). Brian produces some fantastic images here, and I'm intrigued to know if these are all tame birds that come and sit at the front of his lens. Also, 300mm means the lens was wide open and we all know that 'telephotos are never good at maximum extension' I think here's the evidence to the contrary!

Thank you very much..the birds were around 50% crops. No they are not tame in the least, wish they were...I stand still and move real slow around where they are.

I got lucky actually getting them so close, as not too far away a couple of crows were chasing a hawk away. They seemed to know that they were safer being closer to me than there usual 'safe distance'. None of them was up for being a 'hawk-snack' yesterday morning.

The distances were probably between 7-14 feet away depending on the shot...The wire bird was the closest. thanks again,brian

MD Mostafizur Rahman
MD Mostafizur Rahman Forum Member • Posts: 56

Hello Brian,
Can you post more photo? or give some link of photos?
And which camera you used for those shots?

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 49,551

Your shots look good. I have never heard of that lens. Do you still have it (assuming you still post here)?

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +8 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 49,551

MD Mostafizur Rahman wrote:

Hello Brian,
Can you post more photo? or give some link of photos?
And which camera you used for those shots?

The EXIF says A55V.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads