EF 70-200 f/4L USM with EOS 60D - any experiences?

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions
holzlondon New Member • Posts: 7
EF 70-200 f/4L USM with EOS 60D - any experiences?

Just bought the above lens to go with my 60D as an everyday Zoom for landscape and other uses.  I'm well aware of the fact that the lense has no image stabilisation, so I know when and where to use it.

I'm no pro, and still relatively new to the digital SLR photography, but was quite disappointed with the lacking clarity that the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM produced.

Going on holiday to Dubai in 2 days, so will try it in as many situations as I can, but I thought I would ask the community if anyone out there has any worthwhile experiences and tips.

24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,132
Re: EF 70-200 f/4L USM with EOS 60D - any experiences?

I used that lens with a 40D for a period of time. But eventually I sold it (got almost what I paid after having it for two years) and got the IS version. You've probably heard all the opinions and clearly have one of your own, but for me the IS version is so much more useful. I was limited to 1/400th or faster shutter speeds with the non-IS version (shakey hands?)

The only downside to the IS version (and I think also the non-IS version) is the MFD. I find this a real hinderance at times. I'll often use an extension tube just to get a reasonable focus distance. I believe the 2.8 IS VII is better in terms of MFD - if I could afford it, I would probably sell my F4 IS for that lens.

qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350

I own 70-200L/4.0 IS l ens that is a bit sharper and has 'IS'.

-- hide signature --
Craig76 Regular Member • Posts: 255

Here are a couple of my shots with that camera and lens combination. The 60D handles noise pretty well, the band shot was under extremely low light at 200mm F/4 ISO 2,500. I've included a 100% crop of it to show the sharpness and noise level also.

The 2.8 version or image stabilized versions may be better, but if your tight on cash or like a lighter lens the standard F/4 non-stabilized one works pretty nicely IMO.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/cpilecky

Matt Senior Member • Posts: 2,387
Have the IS but find it quiet useless

I have IS in some of my lenses but find it quiet useless since I use short shutterspeeds to freeze the subject that make IS irrelevant.

If you go to a sunny place and shoot outdoors in good light you wont need IS. It is still nice to have though.

If you shoot slow moving subjects in low light then IS a must have

-- hide signature --

Nothing to see here ...

Phillip Tornero Contributing Member • Posts: 601
Re: Have the IS but find it quiet useless

I too own the 70-200 2.8 non IS as well as the f/4 non IS as well, and because of my camera shake while in use, I often find using a carbon fiber monopod is a quick solution for me.

Phillip Tornero's gear list:Phillip Tornero's gear list
Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 13,578

holzlondon wrote:

Just bought the above lens to go with my 60D as an everyday Zoom for landscape and other uses. I'm well aware of the fact that the lense has no image stabilisation, so I know when and where to use it.

I'm no pro, and still relatively new to the digital SLR photography, but was quite disappointed with the lacking clarity that the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM produced.

Going on holiday to Dubai in 2 days, so will try it in as many situations as I can, but I thought I would ask the community if anyone out there has any worthwhile experiences and tips.

a pod helps

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
Dave Throgmartin
Dave Throgmartin Contributing Member • Posts: 871

I've used the same combo for about a month and am thrilled with it.  The 70-200 f/4 L USM is a fantastic lens for general use telephoto although it is likely a bit long for most landscapes on a APS-C sensor unless you're talking about mountains, etc...

Dave

OP holzlondon New Member • Posts: 7

Thanks to all for your tips and experiences! I look forward to giving it a good trial in the next few days. Maybe I'll post some results.

Shaun Gibbs Regular Member • Posts: 391

I have just ordered this lens to go on my new 6D (I have a 60D also). I figured that because the 6D ISO range is so good, I probably don't really need IS that much for general daylight shooting. Will obviously test it in low light conditions too to see where the limit is.

Can't wait to get it now.

-- hide signature --

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6746215755/photos

Shaun Gibbs's gear list:Shaun Gibbs's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
Clay King Regular Member • Posts: 306

I had this combination and loved it.  However, I bought a 2.8 non-IS instead due to shooting in low light gymnasiums, and also bought a 7D for the AF system on steroids.  I sold both the 60D and the 70-200 f/4 due to lack of use after acquiring the 2.8 and 7D.

Here is an example of the 60D with 70-200 f/4L non-IS.

Clay King's gear list:Clay King's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
SD Focused Junior Member • Posts: 33

I've shot that 70-200 f4 on a 20D, 40D and 5D Mark II.  It is simply a great lens for the money.  It's lightweight and sharp as a tack.  I'm not sure it's the best camera and lens combination for landscapes but you'll love it.

brightcolours Forum Pro • Posts: 14,455

24Peter wrote:

I used that lens with a 40D for a period of time. But eventually I sold it (got almost what I paid after having it for two years) and got the IS version. You've probably heard all the opinions and clearly have one of your own, but for me the IS version is so much more useful. I was limited to 1/400th or faster shutter speeds with the non-IS version (shakey hands?)

The only downside to the IS version (and I think also the non-IS version) is the MFD. I find this a real hinderance at times. I'll often use an extension tube just to get a reasonable focus distance. I believe the 2.8 IS VII is better in terms of MFD - if I could afford it, I would probably sell my F4 IS for that lens.

The 70-200mm f4 L IS USM has a very good/normal MFD of 1.2 meters. So do the other Canon 70-200mm lenses (like the f2.8 IS II and the non-IS f4).

Some of the f4 IS's have terrible results at MFD, though. Others seem to do fine. The non-IS f4 has fine performance at MFD too, with nicer bokeh than the IS f4.

Very versatile lens

holzlondon wrote:

Just bought the above lens to go with my 60D as an everyday Zoom for landscape and other uses. I'm well aware of the fact that the lense has no image stabilisation, so I know when and where to use it.

It is my most used lens (and I use it on APS-C).

Landscape use:

Re: Very versatile lens

I also like to shoot close ups with it, usually in combination with a 12mm extension tube to get a bit closer (to 1m):

And other stuff:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads