Tamron 90-300mm Ebay Find for Sony A99

Started Feb 8, 2013 | Discussions
StayClassy
StayClassy Regular Member • Posts: 296
Tamron 90-300mm Ebay Find for Sony A99

Found this on Ebay; bought it for $150! No fungus, oil or visible damage. Listed as flawless. Does anyone have any experience using a 90-300mm Tamron on Sony Alpha cameras?

Original UV Filter

-- hide signature --

When people ask me whether I'm a photographer, I tell them that I'm more of a time artist. After all, my art is my ability to freeze time and capture a moment forever.

StayClassy's gear list:StayClassy's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF
Sony Alpha a99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ncsakany
ncsakany Senior Member • Posts: 2,129
Are you sure it's a Tamron?

I couldn't see any markings on it 

StayClassy
OP StayClassy Regular Member • Posts: 296
Re: Are you sure it's a Tamron?

ncsakany wrote:

I couldn't see any markings on it

Lmao I think that Tamron wasted some real estate space on the mid-section of the lens. That would have been a great place to put their logo in case you weren't sure it was a Tamron XD

-- hide signature --

When people ask me whether I'm a photographer, I tell them that I'm more of a time artist. After all, my art is my ability to freeze time and capture a moment forever.

Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF
Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 18,570
Re: Tamron 90-300mm Ebay Find for Sony A99

Why are you choosing this over many other more common 75-300mm choices (Tamron, Sony, Minolta, Sigma) in this range?

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A68 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
StayClassy

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

Why are you choosing this over many other more common 75-300mm choices (Tamron, Sony, Minolta, Sigma) in this range?

I already have a 24-105 Minolta and it's not often that you find vintage lenses like this one that are not only in spotless condition, but are also rare versions like a trade show lens.

-- hide signature --

VirtualMirage
VirtualMirage Veteran Member • Posts: 3,956

That's a bit of an odd duck.

It took me a few more looks to see the huge Tamron logos are stickers someone put on the lens.

The lens isn't popping up in Dyxum's lens database, but doing some Googling a few people have found this same lens in Pentax and Nikon mounts for sale on eBay for pretty much the same price you bought yours for.  Those individuals and their comrades weren't familiar with it either.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +18 more
StayClassy

VirtualMirage wrote:

That's a bit of an odd duck.

It took me a few more looks to see the huge Tamron logos are stickers someone put on the lens.

The lens isn't popping up in Dyxum's lens database, but doing some Googling a few people have found this same lens in Pentax and Nikon mounts for sale on eBay for pretty much the same price you bought yours for. Those individuals and their comrades weren't familiar with it either.

I saw that at first too, but I called in to Tamron and after a few attempts, it turns out that it is indeed legit. One of the men I spoke to told me that Tamron did indeed "sticker" a few of these lenses for promotional purposes back in the early 90s and late 80s.

The guy on the phone asked me to tell him what the serial placard looked like, and he verified that it is the original serial too, not a fake. While they can't run the number itself due to them only logging serial numbers in recent years, he told me how to spot if the serial was duped or changed/stickered on. Seems really legit.

-- hide signature --

gil Forum Pro • Posts: 16,735
I thought I played with most 300mm zoom Tamrons before but...(more)

this 90-300mm seems to be a new one for me or did I use one? I need to check my old pics. For sure I have used the 28-300mm (samples in the link here: http://art4less.smugmug.com/Sony-A700/Fireworks-with-old-Tamron-28/4112267_sgqcf3#!i=239803972&k=v5VZ7Ph ) and the 100-300 which was surprisingly good (see sample pics below). I remembered also playing with MF Tamron 60-300mm.

cheers and have fun.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, gil - San Jose, CA Cheap Lens, JPG and 100% Handholding Provocateur Like happiness, photography is often better created than pursued.

gil's gear list:gil's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 Sony a77 II
StayClassy
Re: I thought I played with most 300mm zoom Tamrons before but...(more)

gil wrote:

this 90-300mm seems to be a new one for me or did I use one? I need to check my old pics. For sure I have used the 28-300mm (samples in the link here: http://art4less.smugmug.com/Sony-A700/Fireworks-with-old-Tamron-28/4112267_sgqcf3#!i=239803972&k=v5VZ7Ph ) and the 100-300 which was surprisingly good (see sample pics below). I remembered also playing with MF Tamron 60-300mm.

cheers and have fun.

Wow these shots are AMAZING! I am seriously pumped up now to get my hands on this lens... I was told that Tamron made very few of the 90-300's, and out of the ones they did make, most were Nikon mounts and this lens was decomissioned in 1994.

-- hide signature --

brian14478
brian14478 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,703

Just saw your post...I bought the other one, though yours does look cooler. I like the lens alot so far. Fringe is very light or non existant. Check out my pics...not the best ,only had it out a couple of hours. (mine is brand new, from 1990)

Great buy and congrats its quite rare yours veeeeery rare ,..brian

StayClassy

brian14478 wrote:

Just saw your post...I bought the other one, though yours does look cooler. I like the lens alot so far. Fringe is very light or non existant. Check out my pics...not the best ,only had it out a couple of hours. (mine is brand new, from 1990)

Great buy and congrats its quite rare yours veeeeery rare ,..brian

Thanks Brian, and wow, your pictures are tack sharp!

-- hide signature --

EarthQuake Senior Member • Posts: 2,505

StayClassy wrote:

Found this on Ebay; bought it for $150! No fungus, oil or visible damage. Listed as flawless. Does anyone have any experience using a 90-300mm Tamron on Sony Alpha cameras?

Original UV Filter

This lens usually sells for $30-60 on eBay, its an uncommon lens, but not a rare/desirable lens. I've used this lens and it is not a lens I would recommend to anyone unless the price was very low/it came in a lot with some better lenses you were after, for $75-150 you can get a modern version of the Tamron 70-300mm Di which will give you better performance. $175 gets you a brand new copy with warranty etc.

StayClassy

EarthQuake wrote:

StayClassy wrote:

Original UV Filter

This lens usually sells for $30-60 on eBay, its an uncommon lens, but not a rare/desirable lens. I've used this lens and it is not a lens I would recommend to anyone unless the price was very low/it came in a lot with some better lenses you were after, for $75-150 you can get a modern version of the Tamron 70-300mm Di which will give you better performance. $175 gets you a brand new copy with warranty etc.

Were there any issues with sharpness from your use? I already bought it but I'm just curious if the IQ on the 70-300 is superior. Also with this being an uncommon lens, is there any chance of this being more of a collector's item?

-- hide signature --

EarthQuake Senior Member • Posts: 2,505

StayClassy wrote:

EarthQuake wrote:

StayClassy wrote:

Original UV Filter

Were there any issues with sharpness from your use? I already bought it but I'm just curious if the IQ on the 70-300 is superior. Also with this being an uncommon lens, is there any chance of this being more of a collector's item?

I didn't test the optical qualities in any scientific way, I remember the general build, handling and focus speed to be rather poor(as you would expect from an early a mount consumer lens). I purchased it with a lot to get something else(don't remember what now) and quickly resold it.

Its an uncommon lens, but not what would generally be a lens that is considered to have collectable value, unlike say a Minolta 100/2.0, which sells near $1000 while similar lenses in the Canon system sell for about $3-400. There area a few reasons the Minolta 100/2 sells for so much, A. Its rare. B. Its an excellent lens. C. Its a lens that hasn't been updated in the alpha system and there is no real alternative from 3rd parties for this FL/Aperture setting. The same basic principal applies to the Minolta 35/2. as well.

This lens may be uncommon/rare, but it fails on the other points, not being a particularity good lens, and having many, many choices of better lenses in the system commonly available from Sony, Minolta and 3rd parties, so its unlikely to hold any sort of collectable value, unless you find some person who is really nutty about early Tamron lenses...

brian14478
brian14478 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,703

Thought i would add a couple more for reference....The only negative i find with the lens is a little pf in some cases, not bad but i personally hate it even in small amounts here and there.

Focus is actually quite fast,possibly with cameras back when it wasnt so fast,..it is with my a55 and very accurate.
I quick downsized these, the one of a nieghbor i asked to get a pic..wanted to check real life sharpness open at 4.5. Our dog is an edited crop and just a fun pic. The squirell is a straight re-sized j-peg no edit at all just re-sized....brian

OntarioJohn
OntarioJohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,959

StayClassy wrote:

Thanks Brian, and wow, your pictures are tack sharp.

Tacks are only sharp if you step on them.  I've a bunch of them here and they are not really sharp.  Razor blades are sharp, and my old straight razor's sharp if I strop it.

As far as sharp is concerned, I had a red blazer in 1964, and man was that sharp.  No collar on the thing at all.  With a white 3 pointed fake thing in the pocket, and a white carnation, I can remember all those girls on the other side of the gym saying, "That guy is sharp."

Why do people actually say TACK sharp anyway?  It does seem really an odd expression.  I wonder what the people on here who speak other languages think of it?

Son photo est un clou a tete affûter.  Which is going to be darn perplexing, for it comes off in an odd fashion for sure.

au lit...bientot.

-- hide signature --

John D. Conley nemo me impune lacessit
shhhh

OntarioJohn's gear list:OntarioJohn's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
StayClassy

OntarioJohn wrote:

StayClassy wrote:

Thanks Brian, and wow, your pictures are tack sharp.

Tacks are only sharp if you step on them. I've a bunch of them here and they are not really sharp. Razor blades are sharp, and my old straight razor's sharp if I strop it.

As far as sharp is concerned, I had a red blazer in 1964, and man was that sharp. No collar on the thing at all. With a white 3 pointed fake thing in the pocket, and a white carnation, I can remember all those girls on the other side of the gym saying, "That guy is sharp."

Why do people actually say TACK sharp anyway? It does seem really an odd expression. I wonder what the people on here who speak other languages think of it?

Son photo est un clou a tete affûter. Which is going to be darn perplexing, for it comes off in an odd fashion for sure.

au lit...bientot.

Lol we say "tack sharp" because any little kid with a cork board can attest to how sharp a tack is when you nearly pin your finger to the wall and see blood gushing from your finger for the first time in your life XD
"MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!"

-- hide signature --

StayClassy

brian14478 wrote:

Thought i would add a couple more for reference....The only negative i find with the lens is a little pf in some cases, not bad but i personally hate it even in small amounts here and there.

Focus is actually quite fast,possibly with cameras back when it wasnt so fast,..it is with my a55 and very accurate.
I quick downsized these, the one of a nieghbor i asked to get a pic..wanted to check real life sharpness open at 4.5. Our dog is an edited crop and just a fun pic. The squirell is a straight re-sized j-peg no edit at all just re-sized....brian

Thank you for these, they look pretty good actually, not as soft as I thought. If anything, I'll see how sharp my copy is and if Micro-Adjust can do something for it

-- hide signature --

RandyPD Regular Member • Posts: 259

For the same price or less, you could get the Big Beercan 75-300 Minolta. Way better build-quality (heavy though) and its a sharp lens.

Hokkaido Jan
Hokkaido Jan Regular Member • Posts: 223

Hi.

Sorry to burst a bubble, but Having worked at trade shows with Tamron and other camera and lens manufacturers, this really is something that Tamron would not do.

They would not simply use cheaply made stickers like that on a lens they were showcasing.

Also, Don't you think a sticker like that would have faded and the white "creamed" by now? Even if it was stored unused packaged. (The lens in your photo is clearly not "unused".) Even the Plastic "Tamron" on the lens cap has creamed!

It's clearly been put on by a third party to try and jazz up their (not so good) lens.

Just my opinion on the matter.

-- hide signature --
 Hokkaido Jan's gear list:Hokkaido Jan's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha a7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads