7D upgrade or stick with 60D?

Started Feb 8, 2013 | Questions
Arizona13 New Member • Posts: 19
7D upgrade or stick with 60D?

I am actually losing sleep over this one.  LOL  Im so stuck what to do.

I've been an SLR owner for several years now.  Started out with the Rebel, then the T1i, then in December I upgraded to the 60D.  I went with the camera/lens bundle at Costco.

And after a few months I am still debating if I made the right choice.  Something just seems off with the camea and I cant put my finger on it.  Or maybe its the mystery of the 7D...lol  As a mom of 3 kids (including a 2 yr old) catching split of the moment pics with manual (which I have been learning along with Raw shooting).  So for fast spur of the moment- run for my camera shots are shot in Auto.  But as the kids age, and I am more comfortable with manual....that will be my future emphesis.

Lenses- I have the orginal that came with my rebel: 18-55 mm, 75-300 mm, a soon to be 50mm portrait lens, and the 18-200mm that came with the camera.  I actually had the older version 28-135 mm lens up till this past summer when it broke and my warrenty ran out a few months before (figures).  I actually LOVED that lens b/c again with kids- when hiking, on vacation, or at home, it was a good anywhere lens that I could use for a variety of subjects.  As juggling lenses and catering to kids is tricking lol.  So i thought the upgraded 18-200 mm would be a good upgrade.  But the lens creep, which I read is normal for that lens, is really driving me crazy.  I know there is a lock on it, but I know Im going to be forgetting about it and miss spur of the moment pics.

So Im wondering if i should go with the 7D instead, gives me a little more range to advance, it has more focal points and its durability.  As I am frequently taking pics of our arizona dust storm and at times I have accidently wacked my old T1i good several times when out hiking in the mountains.  Plus, it comes with the old all in one lens that broke.

Im just so confused on what to do.  I even thought about keeping my T1i for now and just investing in a few more lenses.  But when i picked it up today after being so used to the 60D the past few months, I just didnt like the feel of it.  LOL it felt like an old point and shoot in my hands. .....

For those of you that have the 60D or 7D..... what are your thoughts?  Thanks so much in advance for  your help.  Oh, and btw the camera can be returned no questions asked within 3 months of purchase, so I still have time to bring back the 60 if I choose to go with the 7D.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3) Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP Arizona13 New Member • Posts: 19
Re: 7D upgrade or stick with 60D?

One more thing to add.  I also have been going back and forth in my head about shooting in RAW with both of the cameras.  As, the 60D has in camera processing/conversion for RAW photos.  7D doesnt.  And I dont think my photo editing software supports it.  I have the very first version of lightroom from when it came out, and adobe 5.0  So if i went with the 7D Im thinking I will need a new photo editing program?????  Can anyone help me out with this too?

KentG Veteran Member • Posts: 4,465

Since both the new 70D and a possible 7D II maybe out within the next 12 months I would vote for keepoing the 60D for now and seeing what comes down the road. If for no other reason that the new models will also drive down the price of the older ones. I went the 20D, 30D, 40D, and then 60D route. I had included both the 50D and 7D in considerations before buying the 60D. I have no regrets about picking the 60D. I shoot mostly with pro lenses but also some regular ones. I do not use any of the kit lenses. The 60D needs to be used with at least the 2nd and mostly the 3rd generation 18-55 because the first was lousy when used with cameras over 10 MP. If you can't afford a Canon 17-55/2.8 then think about the Sigma 17-70.

Kent Gittings

KentG's gear list:KentG's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Pentax FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 +3 more
Keith Z Leonard Veteran Member • Posts: 5,992

The 7D does have in camera raw processing as of firmware version 2, but to get the most out of your images you really need to shoot raw and process with a computer.

My vote would be to stick with the 60D, my opinion might be different if you didn't already own the 60D, which is a really good camera.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 400D +16 more
Techvet New Member • Posts: 19

I have both cameras and I too started with a 60D. My experience was similar to yours in that the 60D just didn't seem right coming out of the box. I had struggled over the 7D vs. 60D during the purchase process and probably should have gone with the 7D all along. After fretting over the 60D for 18 months or so I sent the it back to Canon, who made some adjustments to the AF system and it came back with improved AF.  In the menatime, the 7D bug had bitten hard, so. I bought a 7D this past summer and it's my primary go-to camera. The 60D still gets some use, primarily if I go hiking or engage in some activity that could put the camera at risk. I shoot mostly RAW with the 7D and occasionally RAW plus JPEG. The 60D usually goes JPEG only. I got the 7D just before the 2.0 firmware was released, so it was like I bought a camera, then got a newer camera 6 weeks later! The current 7D prices are very good and based on what others have said, the 7D MkII will likely carry a $600-800 premium over the current 7D when it ships. For now, I'm really enjoying the 7D . If the 7D MkII tempts me, I figure it'll drop in price by the time I really convince myself it's needed. In the meantime, I get to enjoy the cool features of the 7D and improve my techniques.

I don't think you would go too wrong buying the current 7D model.

crazybadger Senior Member • Posts: 1,391

Sounds like you have the bug to upgrade and it is going to eat at you until you change. So maybe just for peace of mind make the switch. But personally I really don't see much reason to change. The pictures out of the two cameras will be the same. The only real difference you'll see will be in AF. But from what you are describing of your usage I don't think you'll even notice much of a difference there. To be honest I think you would see a much bigger improvement from changing your lens line up. Sticking with your 18-200 and then getting a 7D sounds a bit like someone trading in their family sedan for a sports car but insisting on using the same all season tires ;).

Having both cameras I would vote for better glass first. But only you know if that will make you happy.

Cheers Mike

crazybadger's gear list:crazybadger's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +3 more
ammac12 Regular Member • Posts: 248

I understand the upgrade bug.  There is a need vs. wants thing going on and only you can decide which side wins.  I am not familiar with Costco's policies, but you said you have THREE MONTHS from date of purchase to return the 60D.  If you return/exchange for the 7D, will you get another three months?  You could possible string out the return policy and see if the 7dMkii arrives...?  If anything, exchange for the 7d, test it out a few weeks (within policy guidelines) and then decide.  Sounds like you have the opportunity to test both out and decide.  If money isn't the issue, then take  your time and test drive both.

Good luck.

MisterPootieCat
MisterPootieCat Veteran Member • Posts: 3,123
Maybe.

Arizona13 wrote:

I am actually losing sleep over this one. LOL I'm so stuck what to do.

Not worth losing sleep over.

I've been an SLR owner for several years now. Started out with the Rebel, then the T1i, then in December I upgraded to the 60D. I went with the camera/lens bundle at Costco.

Which Rebel? The original Digital Rebel/300D?

And after a few months I am still debating if I made the right choice. Something just seems off with the camera and I cant put my finger on it. Or maybe its the mystery of the 7D...lol As a mom of 3 kids (including a 2 yr old) catching split of the moment pics with manual (which I have been learning along with Raw shooting). So for fast spur of the moment- run for my camera shots are shot in Auto. But as the kids age, and I am more comfortable with manual....that will be my future emphasis.

Are you referring to manual exposure? If so, the 7D isn't going to be any faster.

Lenses- I have the orginal that came with my rebel: 18-55 mm, 75-300 mm, a soon to be 50mm portrait lens, and the 18-200mm that came with the camera. I actually had the older version 28-135 mm lens up till this past summer when it broke and my warrenty ran out a few months before (figures). I actually LOVED that lens b/c again with kids- when hiking, on vacation, or at home, it was a good anywhere lens that I could use for a variety of subjects. As juggling lenses and catering to kids is tricking lol. So i thought the upgraded 18-200 mm would be a good upgrade. But the lens creep, which I read is normal for that lens, is really driving me crazy. I know there is a lock on it, but I know Im going to be forgetting about it and miss spur of the moment pics.

The original 18-55 kit lens was fine in it's day but even the second generation 18-55 is a huge improvement. And the newer 18-55 lenses are cheap since most people mistakenly assume the lens is junk (which it certainly isn't). On the used gear forums you can easily pick up a second or third generation 18-55 lens for $100. They get image stabilization too.

I own the original 75-300 and it is by far the least used lens I own. But IQ seems to vary from one copy to the next, some people think it's a great lens. I guess my copy wasn't one of the better ones.

The 28-135 gets a lot of negative feedback on the forums, not all of it deserved or warranted. This is another lens that is always for sale on the used gear forums, typically for less than $200 and usually in like new condition. If you liked the lens I'd suggest picking up another one.

So Im wondering if i should go with the 7D instead, gives me a little more range to advance, it has more focal points and its durability. As I am frequently taking pics of our arizona dust storm and at times I have accidently wacked my old T1i good several times when out hiking in the mountains. Plus, it comes with the old all in one lens that broke.

Weather sealing is definitely much improved on the 7D, build quality several notches better than the Rebels. I own the Digital Rebel/300D and it's been bounced around a fair amount over the years but keeps on chugging although I avoid things like blowing sand.

Im just so confused on what to do. I even thought about keeping my T1i for now and just investing in a few more lenses. But when i picked it up today after being so used to the 60D the past few months, I just didnt like the feel of it. LOL it felt like an old point and shoot in my hands. .....

Glass is always an excellent investment if you plan on staying with the DSLR format. Bodies come and go, lenses stay with you for a long time. Have to agree about the newer Rebels, the ergonomics just don't work for me either. At some point they went with a smaller grip and that still keeps me from buying one. But the bang for the buck factor with the Rebels is hard to ignore.

For those of you that have the 60D or 7D..... what are your thoughts? Thanks so much in advance for your help. Oh, and btw the camera can be returned no questions asked within 3 months of purchase, so I still have time to bring back the 60 if I choose to go with the 7D.

I own the 7D, paid full MSRP when it was first released. Handling is about as good as it gets for me. It's a heavy camera, built like a tank, super responsive, and feature laden. But the 60D has the same sensor with less of the vertical banding. I've only played around with the 60D in the stores but find the ergonomics very close to the 7D and the build quality seems okay. And the 60D AF seems to work better, at least from the posts I've seen in the forums.

From your post it looks like the lenses are taking the brunt of it, several have stopped working or are broken. The L lenses are typically robust and survive rough handling better but they will put a dent in your budget. The kit lenses are a fraction of the cost, have decent if not excellent IQ, hold up okay with a little due diligence, and can be replaced easily and inexpensively when they finally poop out.

Would I upgrade from the 60D to a 7D? Probably not at full MSRP. Prices have dropped since it was released and it's a lot of camera for the money, even more so now. But to be honest, from your post it looks like the lenses are not holding up over time. The 7D isn't going to help much on that regard.

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +24 more
Jonathan Brady
Jonathan Brady Veteran Member • Posts: 5,554
Re: Maybe.

MisterPootieCat wrote:

But to be honest, from your post it looks like the lenses are not holding up over time. The 7D isn't going to help much on that regard.

Completely agree.  I'd go with newer/better lenses and ditch the kit quality lenses.  And/or consider adding an external flash if you're trying to freeze your kids movement.

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a9 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +4 more
TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304
Stick with 60D!

Honestly, it doesn't sound like the 7D would solve any of your problems.

The EF 75-300 is probably the worse lens in Canon's current line up. It is an embarrassment to them that they continue to sell it.

The EF-S 18-200 while not a bad lens for a 10X zoom, it is a 10X zoom and any lens with that large of a zoom range will involve compromises.

I agree the EF 28-135 IS lens has fantastic IQ on a APS-C camera has great IQ on an APS-C camera like the 60D or 7D. It too can have issues with lens creep. Because it is a kit lens with the 7D, it is often dismissed as inferior, you can often pick up a new 'white box' one being sold out of a kit for about $200 on ebay. It's not an inferior lens, and I, like you also think it is a great lens and have we have 3 of them in our family.

Your 60D has some degree of weather sealing. So no need to upgrade it for that reason.

The 60D is also lighter and less bulky than the 7D, making the 60D more suited to hiking.

I don't think Canon's polycarb bodies are particularly fragile, and as you've mentioned you've already kicked around your T1i and 60D with no ill effect.

I would definitely be spending my money on a good lens and not on a new camera!

My advice would be to pickup a new 'white box' EF 28-135 IS, or a better choice given that you like that zoom range.

The Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens, being an L lens it will be more durable and have better weather sealing than the 28-135. Other than being heavier, it would seem to be exactly the lens you need.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
Calliope
Calliope Senior Member • Posts: 1,536

I have a friend in a similar situation and I suggested they get the 60D. If you are not chasing serious action or birds in flight I think the money is better spent on good glass and a nice external flash. I love my 7D but only chose it over the 60 because my goal was to shoot hummingbirds and I wanted the extra frame rate and tracking. If my husband had not bought a 5D3 I was considering a 60D as a backup and all around camera due to the smaller size and lighter weight. On the other hand I do understand the desire to upgrade. I am chomping at the bit for the next generation of the 7D.

Calliope's gear list:Calliope's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM +5 more
KatManDEW Senior Member • Posts: 1,979
Re: Maybe.

MisterPootieCat wrote:

Arizona13 wrote:

I am actually losing sleep over this one. LOL I'm so stuck what to do.

Not worth losing sleep over.

I've been an SLR owner for several years now. Started out with the Rebel, then the T1i, then in December I upgraded to the 60D. I went with the camera/lens bundle at Costco.

Which Rebel? The original Digital Rebel/300D?

And after a few months I am still debating if I made the right choice. Something just seems off with the camera and I cant put my finger on it. Or maybe its the mystery of the 7D...lol As a mom of 3 kids (including a 2 yr old) catching split of the moment pics with manual (which I have been learning along with Raw shooting). So for fast spur of the moment- run for my camera shots are shot in Auto. But as the kids age, and I am more comfortable with manual....that will be my future emphasis.

Are you referring to manual exposure? If so, the 7D isn't going to be any faster.

Lenses- I have the orginal that came with my rebel: 18-55 mm, 75-300 mm, a soon to be 50mm portrait lens, and the 18-200mm that came with the camera. I actually had the older version 28-135 mm lens up till this past summer when it broke and my warrenty ran out a few months before (figures). I actually LOVED that lens b/c again with kids- when hiking, on vacation, or at home, it was a good anywhere lens that I could use for a variety of subjects. As juggling lenses and catering to kids is tricking lol. So i thought the upgraded 18-200 mm would be a good upgrade. But the lens creep, which I read is normal for that lens, is really driving me crazy. I know there is a lock on it, but I know Im going to be forgetting about it and miss spur of the moment pics.

The original 18-55 kit lens was fine in it's day but even the second generation 18-55 is a huge improvement. And the newer 18-55 lenses are cheap since most people mistakenly assume the lens is junk (which it certainly isn't). On the used gear forums you can easily pick up a second or third generation 18-55 lens for $100. They get image stabilization too.

I own the original 75-300 and it is by far the least used lens I own. But IQ seems to vary from one copy to the next, some people think it's a great lens. I guess my copy wasn't one of the better ones.

The 28-135 gets a lot of negative feedback on the forums, not all of it deserved or warranted. This is another lens that is always for sale on the used gear forums, typically for less than $200 and usually in like new condition. If you liked the lens I'd suggest picking up another one.

So Im wondering if i should go with the 7D instead, gives me a little more range to advance, it has more focal points and its durability. As I am frequently taking pics of our arizona dust storm and at times I have accidently wacked my old T1i good several times when out hiking in the mountains. Plus, it comes with the old all in one lens that broke.

Weather sealing is definitely much improved on the 7D, build quality several notches better than the Rebels. I own the Digital Rebel/300D and it's been bounced around a fair amount over the years but keeps on chugging although I avoid things like blowing sand.

Im just so confused on what to do. I even thought about keeping my T1i for now and just investing in a few more lenses. But when i picked it up today after being so used to the 60D the past few months, I just didnt like the feel of it. LOL it felt like an old point and shoot in my hands. .....

Glass is always an excellent investment if you plan on staying with the DSLR format. Bodies come and go, lenses stay with you for a long time. Have to agree about the newer Rebels, the ergonomics just don't work for me either. At some point they went with a smaller grip and that still keeps me from buying one. But the bang for the buck factor with the Rebels is hard to ignore.

For those of you that have the 60D or 7D..... what are your thoughts? Thanks so much in advance for your help. Oh, and btw the camera can be returned no questions asked within 3 months of purchase, so I still have time to bring back the 60 if I choose to go with the 7D.

I own the 7D, paid full MSRP when it was first released. Handling is about as good as it gets for me. It's a heavy camera, built like a tank, super responsive, and feature laden. But the 60D has the same sensor with less of the vertical banding. I've only played around with the 60D in the stores but find the ergonomics very close to the 7D and the build quality seems okay. And the 60D AF seems to work better, at least from the posts I've seen in the forums.

From your post it looks like the lenses are taking the brunt of it, several have stopped working or are broken. The L lenses are typically robust and survive rough handling better but they will put a dent in your budget. The kit lenses are a fraction of the cost, have decent if not excellent IQ, hold up okay with a little due diligence, and can be replaced easily and inexpensively when they finally poop out.

Would I upgrade from the 60D to a 7D? Probably not at full MSRP. Prices have dropped since it was released and it's a lot of camera for the money, even more so now. But to be honest, from your post it looks like the lenses are not holding up over time. The 7D isn't going to help much on that regard.

I agree with MisterPootieCat. I have a 60D and a 7D. And a 5D3, and the original dRebel/300D.

KatManDEW's gear list:KatManDEW's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R +16 more
victorian squid
victorian squid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,391

You could always take advantage of Costco's generous return policy to start over.

I too had every intention of getting the 7D, but after really, really looking at what I did as far as shooting got a 60D - knowing I could always return it. In fact, I had pretty much assumed that's what I was going to do.

Never did. I love it, and don't for a second miss the extra speed the 7D offers, just because that's really not how I usually shoot. And oddly, I've gotten some pretty darned good "fast" shots with the 60D. I've never needed all the extra AF points, nor the all metal build (plastic can take a bruising without denting or scraping). The one thing I would like would be the pitch detection. One thing I thought I wouldn't like I do - the articulated screen. Now it'd be hard to give up.

Instead, I've invested in glass and speedlites and triggers and things that really further my photography. Buying that Ferrari doesn't help any if you're stuck on an island!

My next upgrade will probably be to full frame, as even a 7D mkII doesn't offer me anything I'd be looking for. A 6D does. But, that's what's so wonderful about all the offerings out there, because a lot of folks need the 7D, and some even need both! Or, at least think they do.

In the end, you're the only one who knows if you're going to take full advantage of all the 7D has to offer - which is a lot. Or, would you be better served by investing in good, fast glass and taking advantage of the artistic possibilities of DOF or available light? Or maybe a couple of speedlites and triggers and doing amazing portraiture and lighting? And a really nice tripod?

Of course, if money is no object then this is all moot - go crazy!
Personally, I have other hobbies to feed (although this one turned out to be business related), so I watch the nickels and dimes regardless.

Food for thought - happy hunting.

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +37 more

Thanks everyone for your help.  Actually, this is the second 60D from costco.  The first I got in November.  I was really happy at first with it.  Then it started doing wierd stuff.  Here and there I was getting totally black or white pics while in raw.  When pics taken seconds before that and after were fine. And the white balance- it started changing on me and I had trouble correcting it.  So I returned it thinking it had a flaw (same happened with the first camera-it stopped working after a week. So i know things happen).  I actually got the returned camera for 50 dollars cheap as the price dropped.  Instantly tore the box open in the car only to find i had to charge the battery.  ugh. But, i have to say the quality has imporved so there must have been an issue with the first.

I think all of you are right, im done with kids.  So now im getting camera fever!  lol.  I like some of the suggestions of the different lenses.  Hmmmm  Which has got me thinking maybe to just turn the 60 d and just buy the body off amazon or B and H photo and get some good lenses WITH a warrenty.  As the bundle at costco comes with a card (its an ok card for my back up t1i or a photoframe, but not I dont like the the size for my camera.  Especially when shooting with bigger raw photos.  And the bag- already have it- use it for my vacation travel bag.   I was just going to stick it on Ebay.

I have talked to a few friends (that are blessed to have the newest canon that is out) know others that have the 60D and are really really happy with it.  (which is how i determined my first must have had a flaw).  For me other than durablity (but like others said my t1 has taken a beating too) is the enhanced color contrast.  Its different from what im used to.  And has taken some time to get used to.  It was designed to have brighter/higher constrasting reds, oranges, yellows.  And this is true of most of my friends.  But for me- Ive been into normal tones of those colors but higher contrast of greens and blues for my landscape photos.  And I cant say I havent got some good photos with the 60D....

Money isnt an obstacle.... but now after hearing everyone's input, maybe I will stick with this one, it will just give me a chance to upgrade again in the future   And keep learning a I go.  Plus, the 7d being a bit bigger and heavier...im very petite (84lbs soaking wet) and struggle with fibromyalgia pain so it will just add a bit more wear and tear to my body... (need to find justification somewhere

thanks for all of your help!

Oh and the articulated screen of the 60D.  Im not big on reviewing pics or using it for myself, other than reviewing the settings.   But it has greatly grown on me for a different reason than most.... I turn it around so my little girl can see each and every pic I take of her.  With the T1i, she wouldnt cooperate many times...with pics of her running with her arms outstretched toward the camera as she wanted "to see" each and every pic I took.  Now, she is a little diva and poses away.  And she definately lets me know if i forget to open her viewing screen for her!  lol

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 22,665

Arizona13 wrote:

I am actually losing sleep over this one. LOL Im so stuck what to do.

And after a few months I am still debating if I made the right choice. Something just seems off with the camea and I cant put my finger on it. Or maybe its the mystery of the 7D...lol As a mom of 3 kids (including a 2 yr old) catching split of the moment pics with manual (which I have been learning along with Raw shooting). So for fast spur of the moment- run for my camera shots are shot in Auto. But as the kids age, and I am more comfortable with manual....that will be my future emphesis.

I'm not sure you'll see much difference in IQ with the 7D.  The main advantages of the 7D over the 60D are build quality and speed of handling files - AF, shot to shot time, frame rate, buffer size, etc.  If you feel there's something wrong in the way the 60D is operating either exchange it or send it to Canon for warranty service - but you'll need to explain specifically what the problem might be other than it "just seems off".

Mark

invaderzim
invaderzim Forum Member • Posts: 55

Wanted to just drop my thoughts into the mix.  I have a 60D and have wondered off and on since I acquired it a couple years ago.  Even to the point where I sent it back to Canon and had it checked out.  They indicated short in a circuit board was not working correctly, fixed it, and sent it back.

To be honest, I don't see any difference in my photos since the return. Probably should have come a bit more prepared to share here, but saw the 60D vs 7D and some of the postings made me wonder if I wasn't crazy that the camera wasn't performing. Have good glass and originally was thinking it was my performance and not the cameras. Not so sure now.

Started out with Nikon and made it to D200. Went to Canon and 60D appeared to be the way to go for me.

Now I wonder if I need photo classes.... or a new camera body.:-(

-- hide signature --
 invaderzim's gear list:invaderzim's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX10 Nikon D5500 Portrait Professional Studio
Limburger
Limburger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,812

The 7D has better ergonomics and is easier to adjust in mid shoot (changing focus points,aperture shutter etc.).

It also has a 100% viewfinder with 1x magnigfication that I find handy framing the shot without having to crop stuff on the edges out.

It's a fast camera you have to learn a bit but will start to like whe it becomes 2nd nature where the buttons are.

Regarding your lenses though I would buy better optics, not saying that you don't like the one you got now but do not underestmate the influence of the lens in the pictures you take (distortions,contrast,fringing,glare/flare etc.).

So you're are about to get into a learning curve with camera settings and RAW processing.

I would put the money to a walkaround lens of high quality (could be used for portraits too depending on the depth of field you want to work with) a flash that can be used off shoe and a Canon 70-200 L (the one that fits in your budget, could also be used as portrait lens) and Lightroom.

For portraits you don't need a 7D, the right lens, the right light and some software to work on the RAWs.

Mind that the Canon software is capable of processing your images from RAW.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
tonyjr
tonyjr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,276

1st - do you have the time to learn a new camera ? Just using manual or full auto - don't bother .

When I jumped to the 7 D it was for a reason - the XTI burst speed was to slow . All the other stuff was just extras for me .

No more time - off to church --

tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
nofumble Senior Member • Posts: 1,887

I think you have a bunch of mediocre lenses. Try one of a better lens before thinking about upgrade the camera body.

The people who need 7D are for sport action and bird. Other than that, there is nothing worth upgrade (more like downgrade). 7D body is huge and heavy, you will regret taking it on a trail. If you are on one rough trail like those in your local Superstition mountain or down the Grand hole, any DSLR camera on your neck is a PITA.

Try 60/F2.8 Macro (or Tamron), Sigma 17-50/F2.8, 70-200/4L, 40/2.8. Don't bother looking up for them at Costco.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads