Sharp 80 inch 240 HZ Quattron TV for photo editing?

Started Feb 7, 2013 | Questions
Nathaniel George Weir New Member • Posts: 16
Sharp 80 inch 240 HZ Quattron TV for photo editing?

Hey everyone,

So I recently purchased this TV, Sharp HE LC-80LE844U 80-Inch 1080p 240Hz LED-Lit 3D Internet TV.

And I am wanting to do some photo editing on it using Lightroom 4, but my question (or should I say questions are... ):

1) If I set all automatic picture adjustments to "off",

2) If I set the color settings to "0" and turned the picture mode to default,

3) and I calibrated the TV with my Spyder 4 Pro,

would my TV be suitable for photo editing and printing? I would absolutely love editing photos on a TV this size... who wouldn't?

Thank You so much! If there is anything that I forgot and you need any more information to answer the question just let me know please

Thank you,

Nathaniel Weir

Nathaniel George Weir's gear list:Nathaniel George Weir's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM +7 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Deleted1929 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,050
Re: Sharp 80 inch 240 HZ Quattron TV for photo editing?

Good colour calibration could be a problem.  TV's are generally set up for viewing ( oddly ) TV and movie things and it's not typical for them to have e.g. an sRGB mode and a well adjusted gamma.  They also have a tendency to do additional processing on the display input.

Fine for games, but I would not attempt any serious editing on such a display.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

JJMacks
JJMacks Forum Pro • Posts: 10,458

Images on that display would be quite soft due to the displays low DPI resolution. I calculate it would be something like 27.5DPI It mat be 80" it still onlt displaying 1920x1080 pixels

-- hide signature --

JJMack

JJMacks's gear list:JJMacks's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
Jen Yates Senior Member • Posts: 1,414

Nathaniel George Weir wrote:

would my TV be suitable for photo editing and printing? I would absolutely love editing photos on a TV this size... who wouldn't?

I would hate it. What is the point of using such a large low resolution screen when a smaller higher resolution screen can be placed in a much more ergonomic position.

I'd wager my 27" 2560x1440 screen looks a helluva lot better than your 'television', and as it's right here in front me and not on the other side of the room I'd imagine it takes up just as much of my field of vision.

And even if your monster is right there in front of you, so are my other two monitors.

I'll take working three high res pro grade monitors over your television any day.

Pictus
Pictus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,260
NO

How to choose a monitor and info about soft proofing.

Professional grade monitors(programmable hardware internal LUT) are expensive and the bigger models even more...

Can get a NEC PA301wSpectraview II for +- $2,245.00 , review of the BK version here.

There will be a new Dell U3014 that looks interesting as the Dell U2713H .

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads