Is there anyway of checking that a challenge entry belongs to the entrant?

Started Feb 7, 2013 | Discussions
Car629
Car629 Contributing Member • Posts: 647
Is there anyway of checking that a challenge entry belongs to the entrant?

Hi I have been looking through some of the challenges and I came across a photograph which I think, and I mean only think, may not belong to the person that entered it. Is there any way of checking this apart from the google picture search. When I searched through google it came up with the DPR member who joined the forum in January and entered one other challenge, there is no other information on the member, they have made no comments etc. I checked their first challenge entry and there are no 5s, 1 x 4.5, 1 x 4, and a good number of votes further down the scale so I believe there to be no indication of possible cheating.

Perhaps it's just my suspicious mind, but I keep going back to it as I have a feeling I have seen the photograph before or it could be one very similar and I have gone off in the totally wrong direction!

I had considered contacting the challenge host but because I have no concrete evidence I feel I can't do this, and as I have never hosted a challenge I am not privy to the type of information you get from that.

Just voicing a concern, perhaps it best that I watch what they do in the future.

Be interested in your thoughts.

Carol

Deleted pending purge Senior Member • Posts: 1,197
Re: Is there anyway of checking that a challenge entry belongs to the entrant?

Try using TinEye for additional search. It may be that the image you saw belongs to the same person under different nick elsewhere, too. PM'ing the host shouldn't create any problems, however. Most of the responsible hosts would like to know whether their entrants are being fair or not, so you'll be doing everyone a favor, whatever the outcome.

If your conclusions point with 100% certainty at the Cheater (like, if the image found elsewhere shows different metadata from the copy posted at DPR Challenge), let us know. No-one wants cheaters in their challenges, and exposing the likes of such represents a commendable service to all honest photographers.

-- hide signature --

Fil

Car629
OP Car629 Contributing Member • Posts: 647

Hi Old Arrow,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The strange thing is there is no data with the photograph just the date of when it was uploaded to their gallery - no camera make or model, just a very long image number as the title. Yet when you go to the challenge entry it has the date of when it was taken etc.

I have started a search using your recommendation will get back to the thread if I find it else where.

Thanks for your help.

Carol

barb_s
barb_s Contributing Member • Posts: 764

Carol.  There may be nothing suspicious with the lack of data in gallery photo's

I don't have a good way of adding text or borders to photo's  (Picassa didn't work for me) so I use an on-line .com site which writes a jpeg that uploads and displays with no info in the gallery.

Here's an example where I added a border, saved it, and uploaded to my gallery. If you look at it  you'll see it is similar to what you are seeing, so maybe that part of your concern is not really an issue.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3743985297/photos/2414089/tuxpi-com-1359823676

-- hide signature --

Barb

barb_s's gear list:barb_s's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Sony RX100 III Leica Q Canon EOS 70D
RaptorUK Veteran Member • Posts: 3,266

Car629 wrote:

Hi Old Arrow,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The strange thing is there is no data with the photograph just the date of when it was uploaded to their gallery - no camera make or model, just a very long image number as the title. Yet when you go to the challenge entry it has the date of when it was taken etc.

That is not unusual at all,  not in the slightest.  I have come across many, many entries that have made me suspicious   but unless I am certain that the person is cheating I don't expose them, I have even checked that the camera was not inadvertently set to the wrong date . . .  yes it it is possible to find evidence that it wasn't set to the wrong date.

If in doubt you have to give the person the benefit of the doubt.

-- hide signature --

Take a look at my album . . . www.F1Album.com

RaptorUK's gear list:RaptorUK's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +7 more
Car629

Hi All,

I know some of mine don't have the data such as the ones that are stitched but I know this bridge and I am almost sure I have seen a post card the same or very similar.

Will keep an eye on the voting and the forum member and see what transpires.

Carol

Slynky Senior Member • Posts: 2,434

Car629 wrote:

Hi All,

I know some of mine don't have the data such as the ones that are stitched but I know this bridge and I am almost sure I have seen a post card the same or very similar.

Carol

You should PM Raptor with the link to the image (and keep it private). He's the best at sleuthing these things out.

-- hide signature --

/A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to their country for an amount of "up to and including my life"./
(...from the generation that still uses capital letters and punctuation...)

Slynky's gear list:Slynky's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Car629

Slynky wrote:

Car629 wrote:

Hi All,

Carol

You should PM Raptor with the link to the image (and keep it private). He's the best at sleuthing these things out.

Hi Slinky,

Might just do that.

Carol

Car629

Problem solved thanks for all your help.

Carol

shutterbug98 Regular Member • Posts: 170

Car629 wrote:

Carol

Hold on...I think we all want to know what the result was.  

Car629

shutterbug98 wrote:

Car629 wrote:

Carol

Hold on...I think we all want to know what the result was.

Hi Shutterbug98,

The photograph I was questioning seems to be genuine as it has been located on Flickr. I have a Flickr account and this is where I must have viewed it, I knew that I had seen it somewhere and being the age I am sometimes the memory is not what it should be! lol

So sorry for setting the cat among the pigeons.

Carol

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads