What is the best camera for a beginner?

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Questions
Niki Luv New Member • Posts: 1
What is the best camera for a beginner?

Please help me.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Philip Kendall
Philip Kendall Contributing Member • Posts: 789
Re: What is the best camera for a beginner?

The camera in your phone (or whatever else you currently own). Play with it, take lots of photos. You'll start learning which areas of photography you enjoy and then you'll start to work out what you want from your next camera.

Philip Kendall's gear list:Philip Kendall's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
skyglider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,552

Niki Luv wrote:

Please help me.

I think you need to state your objectives for your beginner's camera to get valid responses. Like:

• budget?
  • camera size?
  • what do you want to take pictures of?
  • how much zoom do you want?
  • are you willing to change lenses?
  • do you want to point & shoot or learn how to use manual adjustments?
  • anything else you can add to clarify what you want to do.

Without knowing any of your objectives, I would recommend a Panasonic FZ200. It's what is called a bridge camera which has a fixed (not interchangeable) lens. It has a long zoom and will work well in full auto mode but will allow you to make all of the usual manual adjustments. It has an exceptional lens that retains a F2.8 aperture (lens opening for light to focus on the camera's sensor) throughout the entire zoom range. This is a rather large aperature which will let in a good amount of light even at when you zoom in to take wild life shots, etc. It also has the capability to accept an external flash via a "hot shoe", in case you advance and want to use an external flash.

The FZ200 received dpreview's "Gold award" and you can read about it here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz200/13

In case you're not familiar with dpreview's camera review format, click the down arrow head at the right of the white text box that says "conclusion" to view the entire review of the FZ200.

Sky

PhD4
PhD4 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,616

Philip Kendall wrote:

The camera in your phone (or whatever else you currently own). Play with it, take lots of photos. You'll start learning which areas of photography you enjoy and then you'll start to work out what you want from your next camera.

If I had to base my future desires in photography off the blurry, poorly exposed distant shots of a camera phone with no option of creative features and controls.... I'd find a different hobby.

Terrible answer.

OP, if you have the money and know you want to get into an SLR, or you just want to start with a simple point-&-shoot.... that info would be worth having.

I see someone else has asked you some important questions.

Answer them and you will get a lot more help.

: )

Philip Kendall

PhD4 wrote:

If I had to base my future desires in photography off the blurry, poorly exposed distant shots of a camera phone with no option of creative features and controls.... I'd find a different hobby.

You may have heard of something called "mobile photography" - it's apparently quite popular these days.

Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
lnguyenh Contributing Member • Posts: 685

In my opinion, for portrait, a camera where you can control depth of field. So any camera with apsc sensor, and a semi fast lens.

happysnapper64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,417

Hi, Niki. Sky has just about covered everything there. It does depend on whether you want to delve into photography, or just take snapshots. There is a difference. Snaps are, kids/baby, pets, shots of familly & friends mostly. Photography, while it does include these things, also includes, landscapes, architecture, action photography like motor racing, sports, both indoors & outdoors, wildlife from zoo's to safari parks, & actual safaris, bird photography, both stationary & in flight. Then there is abstract & macro photography with flowers & bugs butterflies & the like. I think you get the idea. Some of these need special equipment like macro lenses for macro, long focal length for bird & most wildlife. The options are almost endless. We are here to help if we can, so a little more info about yourself will help. Welcome to the forum.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more
PhD4

Philip Kendall wrote:

PhD4 wrote:

You may have heard of something called "mobile photography"

Is that what the OP is wanting to get into?
They should have said so then.

it's apparently quite popular these days.

...to those that don't want to carry actual cameras.

And teens.

Guidenet
Guidenet Forum Pro • Posts: 15,748

PhD4 wrote:

Philip Kendall wrote:

PhD4 wrote:

You may have heard of something called "mobile photography"

Is that what the OP is wanting to get into?
They should have said so then.

it's apparently quite popular these days.

...to those that don't want to carry actual cameras.

And teens.

Philip had a good point. The OP gave so little info, no option can be given. How do you or anyone know what to suggest. The phone camera might be a good choice for a beginner. You don't know and neither do I.

The OP didn't say what their budget was or wha they liked to shoot. They gave us no clues whatsoever. There can be no good answer.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +31 more
James Cafferty Veteran Member • Posts: 5,364

- A digital camera borrowed from a friend or family member. (This will give you an opportunity to find out if you are just curious, or committed to photography.)

- A rented DSLR with a 18-55 kit lens or a rented Point & Shoot with a 30x or longer zoom

- A used DSLR with a kit kens with guidance from this Forum or a friend/relative who is knowledgeable about photography (buy locally from craigslist)

Good luck. 

-- hide signature --

All the best,
Jim
Photographers take pictures; the camera is only a tool.

PhD4

Guidenet wrote:

Philip had a good point. The OP gave so little info, no option can be given. How do you or anyone know what to suggest. The phone camera might be a good choice for a beginner. You don't know and neither do I.

Which is why I told the OP to give us an idea what their goals were.

Not to go out and buy a phone instead of a camera.

Philip Kendall

PhD4 wrote:

What I actually said was: "The camera in your phone (or whatever else you currently own)." ie don't buy anything now - just use what you've currently got.

PhD4

Philip Kendall wrote:

PhD4 wrote:

What I actually said was: "The camera in your phone (or whatever else you currently own)." ie don't buy anything now - just use what you've currently got.

I understand, but in context of Guidenet's comment to me, since we know nothing of the person with the question.... who says she has a phone ?!

My response to you was simply that someone with the ambition to be a photographer would probably be put off by being so limited as to use a silly phone for their "photographic education".

I would prefer to ask them where their interests lie, then help them determine if they might like a P&S or SLR better.

There is no answer the person could give me... that would make me say "oh, then get a phone!"

Wasn't picking on you, was just stating I don't think it was great advice.

Then again, I always hate when someone says: "learn photography by using only a XXmm fixed lens for your first year!"

Nothing like putting limits on someone else's interests.

photoreddi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,757
Fishy...

Guidenet wrote:

The OP didn't say what their budget was or wha they liked to shoot. They gave us no clues whatsoever. There can be no good answer.

Maybe the lack of clues was intentional, given that the OP's account was created yesterday and the OP has yet to respond to any of the 12 replies that followed. I read the OP before the first reply and thought that given the "Niki Luv" ID it would be prudent to see if Niki was real or was just a 'cute' ID intended to bait and try to reel us in. What does Niki like to shoot? Maybe fish in a barrel.

beshannon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,216
 beshannon's gear list:beshannon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sigma DP2s Leica V-Lux (Typ 114) Nikon D800E Nikon 1 J4 +3 more
donaldsc Senior Member • Posts: 2,945

Given all the detail you have included in your post, your question is unanswerable.  It is the equivalent of going on a car site and asking what car is best for a new driver.

-- hide signature --

Don

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads