Canon Professional Service Free coupons for Check and Clean?

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions
Colin Smith1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,102
Canon Professional Service Free coupons for Check and Clean?

I received two coupons for a free check and clean when I joined Canon's CPS Gold Membership, so I sent Canon my 500 F4 L IS and the 100-400 L IS. Both lenses are getting a little old (especially the 500 purchased in 98). I just returned from Africa and as far as I can tell both lenses are working great, sharp focus and no issues. I wonder if Canon (Newport News, VA center) will actually dismantle the lenses and clean them? I am taking both lenses with me to Patagonia this spring. I hope this will have been worth the $60 cost to FedEx both lenses to Virginia. Anyone else have any experience with these Check and Clean coupons, or with sending a lens in to have it checked and cleaned?

-- hide signature --

Colin Smith

Colin Smith1's gear list:Colin Smith1's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon RF 800mm F11 IS STM Canon RF 85mm F2 Macro IS STM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Vegasluvr Senior Member • Posts: 2,102
Re: Canon Professional Service Free coupons for Check and Clean?

I send my equipment to Canon's factory service center in Irvine, CA. They do a fantastic job. I recently shot the Super Bowl and their technicians cleaned all of my Canon equipment and loaned me equipment to shoot the Super Bowl! I had back up but the loaner was great!

Vegasluvr's gear list:Vegasluvr's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
nalax Contributing Member • Posts: 510

Last month I sent an older 24-70mm to the Virginia CPS with a clean and check coupon. On the form I also told them that if any extra work was required to go ahead and do it. They tightened up the barrel wobble and calibrated the lens(turned out great BTW). They also returned the coupon to me since it became a repair rather than just a clean and check. It took a day to do the work and they fedexed it back to me in one day on their dime. My cost was 188 after the 30% discount.

I just sent them an older 70-200mm IS for internal cleaning and recalibration. I didn't send the coupon as it seems to apply to external cleaning and checking functions. I'll likely use the coupons on a recent body or lens and send it in before the warranty expires to make sure it's aok.

The equipment loan program is also worthwhile.

nalax's gear list:nalax's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a7R III Sony a7R II +13 more
Schwany
Schwany Forum Pro • Posts: 10,169

Wrong use of the coupons. They are for your camera body(ies), not your lenses.

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
OP Colin Smith1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

Schwany wrote:

Where did you get that?  The coupons are for any registered Canon equipment, not just camera bodies.

-- hide signature --

Colin Smith

Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon RF 800mm F11 IS STM Canon RF 85mm F2 Macro IS STM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM

Colin Smith1 wrote:

I received two coupons for a free check and clean when I joined Canon's CPS Gold Membership, so I sent Canon my 500 F4 L IS and the 100-400 L IS. Both lenses are getting a little old (especially the 500 purchased in 98). I just returned from Africa and as far as I can tell both lenses are working great, sharp focus and no issues. I wonder if Canon (Newport News, VA center) will actually dismantle the lenses and clean them? I am taking both lenses with me to Patagonia this spring. I hope this will have been worth the $60 cost to FedEx both lenses to Virginia. Anyone else have any experience with these Check and Clean coupons, or with sending a lens in to have it checked and cleaned?

Well my 500 has been returned today.  I think they unpacked the lens, repackaged it and sent it back again.  The dust on top of the front element wasn't even blown off, and there was crud around the lens hood mounting groove on the body of the lens that wasn't even touched.  I had hoped for an internal cleaning and I didn't even get the outside of the lens cleaned.  So much for "professional service".

-- hide signature --

Colin Smith

Schwany
Well, looky there

Colin Smith1 wrote:

Schwany wrote:

Where did you get that? The coupons are for any registered Canon equipment, not just camera bodies.

That's how the coupons use to work is where I got it. You made me look to see where you got your info from, and... low and behold

I do note that the wording on the latest CPS letter to registered users indicates the clean and check is for any of the items registered with CPS. That's shocking and pretty hard to believe they would apply that to lenses. Interesting.

Apparently your lens was perfect if all they did was repackage it, and send it back dusty. Did they send back the coupon?

I sent a body in in December and it came back with a cleaned sensor and pristine. I just figured that's all the coupons are still good for. Thanks for making me look at the new coupons. I think I'll still only use them for getting a camera body cleaned, since I know they perform that service.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
Re: Well, looky there

Schwany wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

Schwany wrote:

Where did you get that? The coupons are for any registered Canon equipment, not just camera bodies.

That's how the coupons use to work is where I got it. You made me look to see where you got your info from, and... low and behold

I do note that the wording on the latest CPS letter to registered users indicates the clean and check is for any of the items registered with CPS. That's shocking and pretty hard to believe they would apply that to lenses. Interesting.

Apparently your lens was perfect if all they did was repackage it, and send it back dusty. Did they send back the coupon?

I sent a body in in December and it came back with a cleaned sensor and pristine. I just figured that's all the coupons are still good for. Thanks for making me look at the new coupons. I think I'll still only use them for getting a camera body cleaned, since I know they perform that service.

Yeah, looks like you were correct Definitely more value with camera bodies, but my 7D and 5DIII are still fairly new.  Guess I should be grateful they didn't open the 500 up and screw up a perfectly functioning 14 year old lens.  They have had the 100-400 longer, maybe they are actually cleaning the push/pull zoom???

-- hide signature --

Colin Smith

Schwany

Colin Smith1 wrote:

Schwany wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

Schwany wrote:

Yeah, looks like you were correct Definitely more value with camera bodies, but my 7D and 5DIII are still fairly new. Guess I should be grateful they didn't open the 500 up and screw up a perfectly functioning 14 year old lens. They have had the 100-400 longer, maybe they are actually cleaning the push/pull zoom???

I'm seldom right about anything, so I could still be wrong.

Maybe you confused them with two lenses. Did you send in two coupons? You would need one coupon for each lens if indeed they are servicing the lenses with a clean and check.

Please let folks know if they clean up and check out your zoom. I think it would be a first, but like I said I've been wrong before.

CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,697

What did the repair receipt say that Canon did to the 500?  I'm curious because I'm tempted to use my certificate to have my 500 looked at.  Also, when you sent in the 500mm lens, did you send it in its case or package it well by itself?

CameraCarl wrote:

What did the repair receipt say that Canon did to the 500? I'm curious because I'm tempted to use my certificate to have my 500 looked at. Also, when you sent in the 500mm lens, did you send it in its case or package it well by itself?

I sent it in the case.  If it is functioning normally, I would suggest you save the postage.  They did nothing to my lens.  The repair certificate was blank and showed $0.00 charges.

-- hide signature --

Colin Smith

24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,701

Colin Smith1 wrote:

CameraCarl wrote:

What did the repair receipt say that Canon did to the 500? I'm curious because I'm tempted to use my certificate to have my 500 looked at. Also, when you sent in the 500mm lens, did you send it in its case or package it well by itself?

I sent it in the case. If it is functioning normally, I would suggest you save the postage. They did nothing to my lens. The repair certificate was blank and showed $0.00 charges.

Yeah, that's been my concern. I have a 24-105 F4 L IS with some dust specs and a stack of Free Clean & Check coupons. But assumed I'd be wasting my $ on shipping unless it needed a repair. (The red ring did fall off the front recently but that still doesn't seem to warrant sending in an other-wise well performing lens.)

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon Z6
lilredss Contributing Member • Posts: 821

I sent my 500 F/4 in to be checked and repaired  Christmas week.  The IS motor was noisy.  I got a e-mail back saying it was going to cost me $188.00.  I said OK fix it.  I got the lens back about 6 days later and the e-mail send to me and the paper work with the lens said, "Repair, clean and check all functions to good working order.  Gold CPS discounts applied."  It listed cost as 00.00.  When the credit card bill came in January there was a $188.00 charge from Canon and there was a $188.00 credit from Canon.

Guess they charged me and then decided not to.  Anyway the lens works great and the IS motor isn't noisy now.

I just wish that they would give a little more detail about what work they did.

Bob

Morgan Edwards New Member • Posts: 1

lilredss wrote:

I sent my 500 F/4 in to be checked and repaired Christmas week. The IS motor was noisy. I got a e-mail back saying it was going to cost me $188.00. I said OK fix it. I got the lens back about 6 days later and the e-mail send to me and the paper work with the lens said, "Repair, clean and check all functions to good working order. Gold CPS discounts applied." It listed cost as 00.00. When the credit card bill came in January there was a $188.00 charge from Canon and there was a $188.00 credit from Canon.

Guess they charged me and then decided not to. Anyway the lens works great and the IS motor isn't noisy now.

I just wish that they would give a little more detail about what work they did.

Bob

This is a late post but I have sent in both a 500mm F4 for a repair and a 100-400mm push pull.  It's my experience that a clean & check does not cover taking a lens apart so using a freebie is a waste of money if you are a gold member and have to pay to send it UPS, etc.  I sent my 100-400 it to have the dust cleaned off the inside glass and to get the push-pull tightened up.  When it came back the dust was gone but the push-pull function was too tight.  After awhile the push-pull action is back to normal (good) but so is the amount of dust on the inner glass!  I won't bother to have that cleaned again since it doesn't stay that way long.

My 500mm needed some work after tripping and banging it relatively lightly on some steps I was walking up.  It was working but was acting a little flaky now & then during focusing.  It needed to be taken apart and internally adjusted.  I packed it in an appropriate sized box with lots of bubble wrap.

Neither repair cost much considering the original price of the lenses.

I use my clean & checks for bodies even though I'm pretty good at sensor cleaning myself.

-- hide signature --

Morgan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads