Create a PDF fillable form, email to customer, export to excel

Started Feb 5, 2013 | Discussions
dad_of_four Veteran Member • Posts: 8,437
Create a PDF fillable form, email to customer, export to excel

I do some volunteer work for a youth group.  They email a word document to "customers". The customers print the document, and mail it back via the USPS. Then I take the info from the printed form, and enter the data into excel.

There's gotta be a way I can convert the WORD doc to a PDF form, let the customer fill out the form, and email it back, and then I simply extract the data into an excel file.

HELP

dad_of_four's gear list:dad_of_four's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D2Xs Nikon D700 Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +10 more
dmartin92 Senior Member • Posts: 1,870
Re: Create a PDF fillable form, email to customer, export to excel

I have never done what you are looking to do, but just searching via Google, I see this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-Excel-Spreadsheet-from-a-PDF-File

dmartin92's gear list:dmartin92's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,338

dad_of_four wrote:

There's gotta be a way I can convert the WORD doc to a PDF form, let the customer fill out the form, and email it back, and then I simply extract the data into an excel file.

It's gonna be very messy indeed.

It would be easier to use web based form and collect the data that way.

Actually, it would be easier to use a plain text form that is mailed out and back. Something like:

Name:

Street Address:

Street Address Continued:

City:

State:

ZIP:

Tel:

It wouldn't be hard to automate the parsing of the reply emails.

Deleted1929 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,050
Use Google Docs.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/drive/start/apps.html

I've just been experimenting with Google Docs ( via Google Drive ) and it's possible to create forms, bulk email them and have them filled in by the recipient.  The responses can be automatically directed to e.g. a spreadsheet in google documents.

From my experience it's better to have them open the form in a browser rather than fill an inline form on the email client, but that may be just my client ( Thunderbird ).

http://www.paulc.eu/webcms/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=157&keywords=Office+2010

-- hide signature --

StephenG

BobSC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,715

dad_of_four wrote:

I do some volunteer work for a youth group. They email a word document to "customers". The customers print the document, and mail it back via the USPS. Then I take the info from the printed form, and enter the data into excel.

HELP

If you have Acrobat you can simply create a fillable form from your word doc. You specify which fields can be filled. Only trick is to put a background color on each field because of a quirk in Apple's IOS implementation of pdf forms.

I don't know about getting the data into excel, but that would be very handy

anneenriquez New Member • Posts: 1

Hello! You can try PDFfiller.com. They can convert PDF,TXT, DOC and PPT files to fillable pdf form. Here's the link on the form that I've used (http://go o.gl/RZkez8). You may also use SendToSign feature to send the form to your desired recipients,
let them fill it out and send it back to you automatically.I know the software is free if you invite a couple of friends to try it out as well using this link go o.gl/oQvpJF

GrahamvdR
GrahamvdR Junior Member • Posts: 43

I’ve used Acrobat to do this successfully. Once you have your PDF (I would use InDesign to make it, but you could use Word or any number of other programs) you would open it in Acrobat and either automatically create form fields (works best if designed using certain styles) or add fields manually. Make sure you set up each field so that it returns the values you want. Once you’re done with those you choose how to distribute. Acrobat can automate this to some extent (especially if done through a desktop email client like Outlook), or you can just send them manually. You choose how to handle the returned data − it can come as data only, or as a completed PDF form − and then add it to your database as it comes in.

I found it worked well, but if you don’t have Acrobat or it sounds too complicated then I would probably try the Google Forms approach. Whatever you go with, you’re right: there’s no reason today why you should be printing and posting forms and entering the data manually!

GrahamvdR's gear list:GrahamvdR's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads