Second hand price Manfrotto 055cxpro3

Started Feb 4, 2013 | Questions
FrancoisduP Forum Member • Posts: 78
Second hand price Manfrotto 055cxpro3

Hi guys,

What would be a fair price for the Manfrotto 055 cxpro3 tripod second hand? Assuming that its in a good condition.

A colleague of mine wants to sell his, so I would like to make a reasonable offer. I am in Europe where the new one would cost 280 euro, and it seems the US price is around 345 dollars or so. (I have not screened the online prices too heavily though).

He also has the 498RC4 head with it....but it really does not seem to be a brilliant head. I might look into Sirui ballhead or something higher in the Manfrotto range perharps.

As an alternative I was actually looking at the Vanguard Alta pro 283CT legs where they cost also around 270 euro, wit a current 40 euro mail-in rebate in Germany.

Thanks in advance for the answers!

Francois

ANSWER:
happysnapper64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,417
Re: Second hand price Manfrotto 055cxpro3

I have just bought a 055CXPRO3 in UK for £220 new. The size of head you need would depend on the camera/lens combo weight you intend to put on it. Don't forget to include the weight of a flash & battery grip, just in case. It's always better to err on the side of being too good, Try your camera & heaviest lens on the ballhead, Angle it down just a little. Focus on a small spot about 8-10ft away, & take a shot. Wait for 15-20mins without touching the tripod/camera. Carefully, take another shot & compare the 2 to see if there has been any movement. The 498RC2 is a pretty good head, but of course there may be better. I had a post from a guy who sent a test of ballheads done in a photographic shop in Germany. The Siriu brand got v/good marks.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more
ilikespam Regular Member • Posts: 483

Ebay.  Look at the auctions that actually sold.

ilikespam's gear list:ilikespam's gear list
A3000 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +3 more
OP FrancoisduP Forum Member • Posts: 78

Thanks for the UK price info. Its very handy to try and at least get a relatively good price for the both of us.

I read the report on ballheads by "traumflieger". Very good indeed. Another one in a magazine here that got really good marks was Tiltall BH-30. Bothvery reasonably priced.

I am not anti-Manfrotto heads of course. I just did not investigate them so well. But I am afraid of a ballhead that costs only 80 euro new. It might surprise me I guess Will investigate.

How do you find the 055 tripod so far, or you don't have it long enough? Did you by chance compare it to others?

F

I tried Ebay...but without luck.

happysnapper64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,417

FrancoisduP wrote:

Thanks for the UK price info. Its very handy to try and at least get a relatively good price for the both of us.

I read the report on ballheads by "traumflieger". Very good indeed. Another one in a magazine here that got really good marks was Tiltall BH-30. Bothvery reasonably priced.

I am not anti-Manfrotto heads of course. I just did not investigate them so well. But I am afraid of a ballhead that costs only 80 euro new. It might surprise me I guess Will investigate.

How do you find the 055 tripod so far, or you don't have it long enough? Did you by chance compare it to others?

F

Hi Francois. I admit I only looked at a load of magazine & you-tube videos before buying my tripod. I have had so many £30-50 tripods that have not been up to the task, I decided that the Manfrotto was as good as I could get for the money I was prepaired to spend. T e legs are excellent, not feather light, but light enough, yet sturdy. I chose the carbon fibre for resistance to vibration as much as anything. It can get quite windy here in North West England, especially on the coast, so I didn't want something that was so light that it would topple with a sudden gust of wind if left unattended for a second & wreck my gear. But yes, so far I am very pleased with it. Have just bought a ballhead [054-Q2] magnesium. Holds my heaviest combo well for hours if need be!! I bought a 3 way head with the tripod, & it is really soild, but a bit fiddly to set up IMO. With the 2 heads I feel I have the best of what I could afford.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more

Thanks for the info!

ilikespam Regular Member • Posts: 483

FrancoisduP wrote:

I tried Ebay...but without luck.

Try again!

I found 28 listings of cxpro3  that actually SOLD, with a price range of $117 to $400, depending on condition and ballhead.

My search term was:  cxpro3

ilikespam's gear list:ilikespam's gear list
A3000 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +3 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.

Thanks!

I used ebay.de for my searches. And while I did select listings that ended worldwide, I only got two hits. Both from shops selling new items. I then changed the stupid thing to ebay.com and got a whole lot more listings that ended. Although very few of the cxpro3's were of the 055 series.

Just to compare, ebay.co.uk gave me a worldwide availability of used 055 cxpro3 as 1...

But now that I have some basic data I can make an offer.

F

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads