looking for cheap full-frame lenses

Started Feb 4, 2013 | Discussions
calson Veteran Member • Posts: 8,578
Re: looking for cheap full-frame lenses

The Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 is an excellent lens and sells for a little under $500. Many Canon shooters have used the Canon mount version instead of the Canon L series 24-70mm f2.8 with its autofocus problems.

Go cheap and stay in the 3-4x zoom range and you will be much happier with the results and have a better upgrade path. Get the Tamron now and later add a 70-300 or 80-200 zoom and build on what you have.

ohcello Senior Member • Posts: 1,637

CareEmber wrote:

I got a Nikon D800 for Christmas, but all my existing lenses are DX format. I'm looking to get at least one versatile, general purpose zoom that's full-frame, auto-focus compatible, and under $500. Any suggestions? I'd really wanted the Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro until I realized it wasn't full-frame. I can't seem to find something equivalent.

Tamron 28-75mm without the built in motor... $300ish used... Awesome lens ... Sharp in center at all apertures and sharp in corners by f5.6

Slight step down in sharpness and you can get a bit more range:

nikon 28-105mm

nikon 24-85mm 3.5-4.5

tamron 24-135mm ..Slows af but good range and IQ

ohcello's gear list:ohcello's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +2 more
Rich42 Regular Member • Posts: 440

The 28-105 is one of the few Nikkors I would not recommend. It's a small, inexpensive, light zoom with a range that covers everything from wide angle to portrait. But it is unsatisfyingly soft at all focal lengths, and while it improves stopped down (best at 5.6) it never really gets sharp. It should be critically sharp at f/5.6 to f/8 at some FL, but isn't at any. Trying to sharpen images from this lens in post is fruitless.

The sample I had (new), and returned also was highly intolerant of filters. I had a high-quality UV filter that was utterly "transparent" on other lenses, but caused noticeable loss of image quality on this lens. The same thing happened with a circular polarizer.

Maybe I had a bad sample, but many others reported image softness too.

Rich

RBFresno
RBFresno Forum Pro • Posts: 12,537
Some lens-choice questions.....

CareEmber wrote:

I got a Nikon D800 for Christmas, but all my existing lenses are DX format. I'm looking to get at least one versatile, general purpose zoom that's full-frame, auto-focus compatible, and under $500. Any suggestions? I'd really wanted the Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro until I realized it wasn't full-frame. I can't seem to find something equivalent.

A few questions:

What types of subjects do you like to shoot?

If you truly want a general purpose lens, then you already have some good suggestions.

And that's not a bad way to start out.

But one of the huge benefits of having a DSLR is being able to use lenses that are more specific to your interests and needs.

Portraits?

Low light, indoor people pictures?

Wildlife?

Landscapes?

Macros?

My advice?:

Start shooting with a general purpose zoom and enjoy your camera as much as possible!

The more effort, time, and thought you put into your photos, the more you'll be rewarded!

Best regards,

RB

http://www.dpreview.com/members/2305099006/challenges
http://www.pbase.com/rbfresno/profile

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +14 more
axcentphoto
axcentphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,392
Re: Some lens-choice questions.....

My D800 will arrive next week and I allready have a 50mm f1.4 so I have decided on a 24-120 f4 as a midrange 'everyday zoom'. I don't need a 2.8 because of cost and weight and I don't shoot low-light or action. I think I'm safe buying a refurbished one on fleabay???

axcentphoto's gear list:axcentphoto's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
DigitalJay Senior Member • Posts: 1,459

I'm thinking of adding the older (pre VR) 24-120D f3.5-5.6. I had one for my D700, and used it extensively before I got the 24-70 f2.8. Truth is I love the 24-70, but for just tooling around or a one-lens situation, the 24-70 or it's older brother the 24-85G (not VR) just doesn't have the reach.

For average situations I rarely need to go longer than 120mm or wider than 24mm.

I have shot the 24-120D on my D800, but have just been to busy to look at the images to see if I like them enough to re-purchase the lens ( I sold it to a friend and he was kind enough to let me borrow it for a few days).

The 24-120 f4 is nearly as bulky as my 24-70, and weighs a half pound less, while the 24-120D weighs in at about 1.21 pounds; nearly 3/4 pound lighter.

Good luck on your choices!

Jay

DigitalJay's gear list:DigitalJay's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E2
pavi1 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,852

Keh.com

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

pthoutex Forum Member • Posts: 84

Agree with everything Rich said.  I was faced with the same problem when I got my D800 back in June last year, I was moving from a D200 (quite a jump!), and my 'walk around' lens was an 18-200mm DX.  I bought a 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D that's also a 1:2 Macro lens for around $200 from KEH and was pretty happy with it.  Eventually I got a 24-120mm f/4 because the 28mm was not wide enough for me, and this is now my walk around lens.

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,244
high end camera.... low end lenses

CareEmber wrote:

I got a Nikon D800 for Christmas...... and under $500. Any suggestions?

So you got a high end dSLR and want to use cheap low end lenses on it, specifically a 10x zoom lens.  Ugh, I'm sure others reading this feel the same way.  First off, generally good quality zoom lenses are not more than 3x such as 24-70, 70-200 and you want an 11x zoom.

You will be better off in the long run buying good quality lenses instead of cheap lenses.  If you buy cheap lenses, there's a good chance you'll end up with a cabinet of cheap, low quality lenses that  you don't use.

So consider a prime such as a 50mm since good zoom lenses are generally $1000+.

Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 11,682

The 24-85VR is a good, lightweight zoom which is razor sharp center to mid.  When I say razor sharp, I mean close to 4000 lwph per Photozone:

24-85VR

The sides and corners are soft.  Boo hoo.  For $350 on Ebay unused, you could hardly go wrong.  Your next move would be the 24-120 which is a a little better, but not in your budget by a long shot.  The 50D is soft and flarey wide open, the 50G is sharp from the get go.  So there.  $575?

The 35-70 2.8 isn't up to the D800e, or at least the unit I had wasn't.  It's washed out wide open and has incurable CA all over the place. And it's heavy.

Schrumpfgermane
Schrumpfgermane Junior Member • Posts: 43

One that hasn't been mentioned here is the 28-80 f/3.3-5.6 G.

For what they sell on ebay you can't go wrong. It's very cheap, plastic, light, but incredibly sharp. AF works well and fast.

For normal daylight use, a good start.

Aaron01 Regular Member • Posts: 171

I agree with the 28-105 some folks don't like it but mine is sharp and very versatile.  I have primes and pro lens' too, but my 28-105 is a good all around lens for daily use.

RBFresno
RBFresno Forum Pro • Posts: 12,537

DigitalJay wrote:

I'm thinking of adding the older (pre VR) 24-120D f3.5-5.6. I had one for my D700, and used it extensively before I got the 24-70 f2.8. Truth is I love the 24-70, but for just tooling around or a one-lens situation, the 24-70 or it's older brother the 24-85G (not VR) just doesn't have the reach.

For average situations I rarely need to go longer than 120mm or wider than 24mm.

I have shot the 24-120D on my D800, but have just been to busy to look at the images to see if I like them enough to re-purchase the lens ( I sold it to a friend and he was kind enough to let me borrow it for a few days).

The 24-120 f4 is nearly as bulky as my 24-70, and weighs a half pound less, while the 24-120D weighs in at about 1.21 pounds; nearly 3/4 pound lighter.

Good luck on your choices!

Jay

HI!

If you are indeed comparing the old 24-120 (pre 2003 non-VR) lens to the new 24-120 F/4 VR, then the results that one can get with the newer lens ought to be significantly better with the new lens.

RB

http://www.dpreview.com/members/2305099006/challenges
http://www.pbase.com/rbfresno/profile

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +14 more
marike6 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,088
24-85 VR (new FX version)

CareEmber wrote:

If I were you, I'd probably get the new 24-85 3.5-4.5G ED VR.  It's has very good sharpness, particularly  in the center, VR, and it's nice and compact.  Many people who purchased the D600 who are upgrading to the f2.8 zooms or primes, are selling their 24-85 VRs on Ebay (do a search on Ebay and tons of like new copies will come up), so you can often find it for around $400, give or take.

Nikon 24-85 3.5-4.5G ED VR

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/2204/AF-S-NIKKOR-24-85mm-f%252F3.5-4.5G-ED-VR.html

You can find tons of sample images on Flickr and elsewhere with a search, and Lenstip has also reviewed it.

Except for my 70-200 f4 VR, I use all primes, but I am in the market for normal zoom that won't brake the bank (I'd like either the 24-120 f4 VR or the Tamron 24-70 VC, but don't have the budget for one at this time).  But you'll find many good images with the new 24-85 VR Nikkor.

Other than that, I've used the Nikon 28-105 on my D800 and it is a sharp lens.  Vignetting and softer corners at close focus, but at infinity it's sharp.

Some like the Tamron 28-75 2.8, but I've read reports of corner issues on FF with that lens.  I know that many use it on APS-C quite happily.  On FF, you'd have to try it to make sure the borders and corners are good enough for the types of images you make.

Best of luck, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +7 more
marike6 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,088

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

The 24-85VR is a good, lightweight zoom which is razor sharp center to mid. When I say razor sharp, I mean close to 4000 lwph per Photozone:

24-85VR

The sides and corners are soft. Boo hoo. For $350 on Ebay unused, you could hardly go wrong. Your next move would be the 24-120 which is a a little better, but not in your budget by a long shot. The 50D is soft and flarey wide open, the 50G is sharp from the get go. So there. $575?

+1.  I completely agree with Reilly (in fact I posted about the 24-85 below).  I shoot almost all primes on my D800, but sometimes I'd like a standard zoom.  And since I just bought the 70-200 f4 VR, the more affordable zooms I would prefer like the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, are just not doable right now.  And so I've been researching the 24-85 VR Nikkor and so many buying D600 kits and selling the 24-85, I've thinking of picking one up.

I've seem tons of good quality images from this lens.  If someone is going to pixel peep corners, perhaps another higher grade zoom might server them better, but the 24-85 VR would serve it's purpose quite well for me.  Good IQ, nice color/contrast typical of most Nikkors, VR (something my 28-50-85 1.8 lenses don't have) and a great price.  What's not to like?

Nice find on the Photozone MTF graphs.  I'm off to look at 85mm.  

Thanks, all the best, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +7 more
FrankoManno Regular Member • Posts: 108

Rich42 wrote:

The 28-105 is one of the few Nikkors I would not recommend. It's a small, inexpensive, light zoom with a range that covers everything from wide angle to portrait. But it is unsatisfyingly soft at all focal lengths, and while it improves stopped down (best at 5.6) it never really gets sharp. It should be critically sharp at f/5.6 to f/8 at some FL, but isn't at any. Trying to sharpen images from this lens in post is fruitless.

The sample I had (new), and returned also was highly intolerant of filters. I had a high-quality UV filter that was utterly "transparent" on other lenses, but caused noticeable loss of image quality on this lens. The same thing happened with a circular polarizer.

Maybe I had a bad sample, but many others reported image softness too.

Rich

Some of us don't have tons of money to throw around on a full frame fast zoom. The D600 took a large chunk out of my budget.

I have a Nikkor 85 1.8D that I love, a beautiful lens. But I wanted a walk-around and the 18-105 DX that came with my previous camera, a D90; is not real sharp and has a fair amount of distortion. I also have a Sigma 17-50 2.8 EX HSM Stabilized that is nice and sharp, but DX.

So I picked up a Nikkor 28-105 3.5/4.5D on ebay in mint condition as a full-frame walk-around for $150. It's not as sharp as my 85 1.8D, but it is plenty useful until I can shell out $1000+ for a worthy lens to go with my camera.

Pic is about a 50% crop, and then reduced 50% in size, I took, as I was 'walking about' yesterday.

Check your blood pressure?

FrankoManno's gear list:FrankoManno's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +5 more
FrankoManno Regular Member • Posts: 108

I might add that I have a B&W filter on the lens also.

FrankoManno's gear list:FrankoManno's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +5 more
Rich42 Regular Member • Posts: 440

FrankoManno wrote:

I might add that I have a B&W filter on the lens also.

Very nice. Far sharper than mine. Another fault mine had was that it never found models like that to photograph!

I should have tried another sample of that lens.

Rich

neighkon Regular Member • Posts: 208
Re: Try Craigslist

macfred wrote:

Not sure where you are located, but here in the San Francisco area, you can buy the nikon 24-85mm VR lens for around $350 on Craigslist. This lens came with the D600 kit and many are selling it unused. I bought one for use as a medium quality walk around lens for my D800, and I am quite satisfied with it. Also you should check out the manual focus lenses by Rokinon/Samyang--great value.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #318

I actually have the 24-85VR in a GOLD retail box not the white kit box, unused/unopened, let me know if you want it.

+1 on the 50mm 1.8D, very inexpensive. The advantage of getting these two is that you'll still be under $500 and you should get better re-sale value since they are Nikons and in retail boxes. Since you're going to get the 24-85 so cheap  from me, when you have more funds for better lenses I can't imagine the resale price going under $250-200. The 50mm can be sold used even at 50% off and you're still not losing much money either.  But I doubt you'll sell that one, its such a value performer.

stany buyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,957

the "antique" 28-105 works very well on D800.

-- hide signature --

Kindest regards.
Stany Buyle
www.nikonuser.info/fotoforum
I like better one good picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second..

stany buyle's gear list:stany buyle's gear list
Nikon D1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads