Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Inkjet printer any good?

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions
Travis
Travis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,188
Re: Just got mine yesterday

Sparrowe wrote:

Travis, are those ink cartridges that come with the printer fully charged? I seem to remember reading on the Canon web page that "setup ink tanks" are in the box ...

UPS says my new Pro-100 will be delivered Monday; looking forward to it!

ray

I can't say for sure, but according to this thread, it comes with full carts:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51397182

Specifically, this guy seems to confirm it (though I can't speak for the accuracy):

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51400357

Hope that helps,

Travis

-- hide signature --
 Travis's gear list:Travis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Travis
Regarding the MIR

Sparrowe wrote:

Travis, are those ink cartridges that come with the printer fully charged? I seem to remember reading on the Canon web page that "setup ink tanks" are in the box ...

ray

By the way...  regarding the Mail-in Rebate:

You have to mail the UPC code from the box and it needs to have the cardboard included when you cut it out.  With this in mind, I did not mail my rebate in a standard letter envelope because I work for the USPS and I know that letters with thick pieces of cardboard in them tend to get jammed and/or ripped in the letter sorting machines.  It is better to put your rebate information in a thicker pouch and send it as a parcel.  It'll cost more in postage, of course, but what's a few bucks when your $300 rebate is at risk?  

Travis

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Sparrowe New Member • Posts: 11
Re: Regarding the MIR

Travis wrote:

Sparrowe wrote:

ray

You have to mail the UPC code from the box and it needs to have the cardboard included when you cut it out.  With this in mind, I did not mail my rebate in a standard letter envelope because I work for the USPS and I know that letters with thick pieces of cardboard in them tend to get jammed and/or ripped in the letter sorting machines.  It is better to put your rebate information in a thicker pouch and send it as a parcel.  It'll cost more in postage, of course, but what's a few bucks when your $300 rebate is at risk?  

Travis

-- hide signature --

Thanks much! Ray

jrkliny
jrkliny Veteran Member • Posts: 3,631

Travis wrote:

Sparrowe wrote:

ray

I can't say for sure, but according to this thread, it comes with full carts:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51397182

Specifically, this guy seems to confirm it (though I can't speak for the accuracy):

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51400357

Hope that helps,

Travis

-- hide signature --

The "fully charged" cartridges only hold 14 ml (less than half an ounce) of ink.

-- hide signature --

Jim, aka camperjim. www.specialplacesphoto.com

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +6 more
birdbrain
OP birdbrain Veteran Member • Posts: 3,525
Hope you all are enjoying this...

printer. I am loving the A3 prints I am producing with my images.

I think Canon have a winner.

I agree it is a beast

-- hide signature --

Phil
I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX10 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +13 more
Travis

jrkliny wrote:

The "fully charged" cartridges only hold 14 ml (less than half an ounce) of ink.

-- hide signature --

Granted, but that wasn't the question.  If you're getting 14 ml of ink in each cart that comes with the printer, and a set of replacement ink carts are also 14 ml each, then it's more reasonable just to buy another printer right now ($89 after MIR) than ordering a new set of ink carts ($120).  Plus you get another pack of 13x19 paper and.... another printer!  It's a no-brainer, aside from the space issue (where to put the backup printer, LOL).

Travis

-- hide signature --
digizen2000
digizen2000 New Member • Posts: 2

jrkliny wrote:

That's why Canon can give out a $300 rebate - they know they're really selling ink. The printer sounds really good, but I'm going to hold out until a CISS (Continuous Ink Supply System) is available.

digizen2000's gear list:digizen2000's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +2 more
jtoolman
jtoolman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,476

digizen2000 wrote:

jrkliny wrote:

That's why Canon can give out a $300 rebate - they know they're really selling ink. The printer sounds really good, but I'm going to hold out until a CISS (Continuous Ink Supply System) is available.

Not for a Canon Printer. Most if not all CISS units claiming to work on a Canon Printer present nothing but problems. From cartridges losing their seal on the head to ink starvation which ultimately results on a burned out head.

The only choice at this moment is either OEM carts or waiting till an ink set becomes available ( More than like from Precision Colors who is currently in the process of producing one ), refilling the original OEM carts ( Just like the CLI-8 ) and disabling ink monitoring on each color channel as each has been reported as empty.

I HIGHLY recommend against even thinking of using ANY CISS on any PIXMA Pro or not printer.

Joe

Darryl E Mylrea Regular Member • Posts: 194

Travis wrote:

Bruce Edwards wrote:

Smart!  Every few years I can get away with the ol' "but honey, it's cheaper to buy a NEWer, BETTER printer than to replace all the ink tanks!" argument, but given the size of this monster, if I tried to use that (admittedly sound) argument, my as(s) would be toast. 

LOL, touché.  In this particular case, I had no problem convincing my wife that it was smarter to buy a second printer than having to spend another $120 for a new set of ink cartridges.  I was smart enough to read the fine print on the mail-in rebate though... it's only good "one per household" so I made sure to use a different address and credit card for the second printer.  

The print is gorgeous, by the way.  I am looking at it from across the room and it just oozes with professionalism.  <big grin>

Travis

If you bought one from Atlex.com and one from B&H then you don't need to worry about "one per household" because they are different promotions.  Look at the rebate forms.  The Atlex one is a general rebate and the B&H is specifically for B&H and is a different promotion number.

You can send in the rebate from Atlex and B&H with the same info and you're OK because they are different promotions.

I, too, bought two of them since for $89, it's worth the price of ink and paper!

I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing CIS systems for this printer soon.  That would be sweet!

Also, I just saw Adorama.com also sells it for $89 after $300 rebate, with free paper, and free shipping.

Their rebate is yet again separate from the others (different promotion specific to Adorama), so buy another PRO-100 for $89 and use it for the ink and paper!!

Travis

Darryl E Mylrea wrote:

If you bought one from Atlex.com and one from B&H then you don't need to worry about "one per household" because they are different promotions.  Look at the rebate forms.  The Atlex one is a general rebate and the B&H is specifically for B&H and is a different promotion number.

You can send in the rebate from Atlex and B&H with the same info and you're OK because they are different promotions.

I, too, bought two of them since for $89, it's worth the price of ink and paper!

I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing CIS systems for this printer soon.  That would be sweet!

Well that's good to know, thanks.  I've already sent in one rebate and just about ready to send in the other.  How long does it usually take?   Can you get case from the American Express card or do you have to use it for purchases?

Travis

-- hide signature --
franzli New Member • Posts: 10
Re: Hope you all are enjoying this...

birdbrain wrote:

I agree it is a beast

Why in Europe we always have to pay everything full price. That's bad!

pski New Member • Posts: 1

Keep in mind that the cartridges that come with a printer are "setup" cartridges and have enough extra ink (more than regular ones) to "prime" the print system.

During the first setup, the printer then calibrates the "full" level of the cartridges for future use.

If you use the setup cartridges on the first printer, the second printer will always be mistaken about how much ink remains...

Travis
Question about the rebate

For those of you who have purchased this printer and mailed in your rebate, how long did it take for it to show up in their computer system?   The rebate I mailed in was delivered about a week ago, but it is still not showing up on the rebate checker site.  I know sometimes it takes a while for rebates, but some were saying it only took a very short time.

Travis

-- hide signature --

Travis wrote:

Darryl E Mylrea wrote:

Well that's good to know, thanks.  I've already sent in one rebate and just about ready to send in the other.  How long does it usually take?   Can you get case from the American Express card or do you have to use it for purchases?

Travis

-- hide signature --

I've gotten two rebates from back in FEB 2013 during the first $200 rebate and while I didn't mark the calendar, it couldn't have been more than 3 weeks.

The cards do say you can NOT get cash from the card at an ATM.

Travis wrote:

jrkliny wrote:

-- hide signature --

Granted, but that wasn't the question.  If you're getting 14 ml of ink in each cart that comes with the printer, and a set of replacement ink carts are also 14 ml each, then it's more reasonable just to buy another printer right now ($89 after MIR) than ordering a new set of ink carts ($120).  Plus you get another pack of 13x19 paper and.... another printer!  It's a no-brainer, aside from the space issue (where to put the backup printer, LOL).

Travis

-- hide signature --

Or in my case, where to put the backup printers!  I'll have three of them.  

Re: Hope you all are enjoying this...

franzli wrote:

birdbrain wrote:

I agree it is a beast

Why in Europe we always have to pay everything full price. That's bad!

It's my understanding you pay far LESS for cell phone service than we do in the US.

Be happy.  

Travis wrote:

Sparrowe wrote:

ray

Travis

-- hide signature --

I flattened the air out of the cardboard with a vise before putting them in an envelope.

Now, you have me worried the sorting machine has eaten two of my rebates!  Although, I did the same with these two $300 rebates as I did with the first two $200 in FEB and they went through OK.

But, I made copies of everything, so I have that going for me...

Travis

Darryl E Mylrea wrote:

I've gotten two rebates from back in FEB 2013 during the first $200 rebate and while I didn't mark the calendar, it couldn't have been more than 3 weeks.

The cards do say you can NOT get cash from the card at an ATM.

Thanks for the reassurance!  I will be mailing my second rebate off tomorrow.  Did you send yours in a regular envelope?  That cardboard from the UPC is pretty thick and I sent my first one off in a padded pouch so it wouldn't get ripped up in mail processing machines.

Travis

-- hide signature --
Travis

Darryl E Mylrea wrote:

I flattened the air out of the cardboard with a vise before putting them in an envelope.

Now, you have me worried the sorting machine has eaten two of my rebates!  Although, I did the same with these two $300 rebates as I did with the first two $200 in FEB and they went through OK.

But, I made copies of everything, so I have that going for me...

LOL, I hope I didn't worry you.  I work for the USPS so I know how those rebate envelopes can get torn up in the machines.  But if you flattered the cardboard, I'm sure you're fine.  I didn't think of that.  I'm hoping that mailing mine in a pouch instead of an envelope doesn't cause mine to be delayed or set aside.  hehe

Travis

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads