Now here is an honest review of the DP2 Merrill..

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Veteran Member • Posts: 6,521
Re: Answer: November 2011, SD1, 2380 lph

Erik Magnuson wrote:

Erik Magnuson wrote:

Tom Schum wrote:

Reported in Popular Photography, resolution of the Monochrom is 2800 lines. The sensor is said to be 18 megapixels but DPR reports the image size as 5212x3472 =18.1 megapixels. Pop Photo resolution is 2800 x (2800x1.5) =11.76 megapixels or 65% of spec.

A very simple question: what does Pop Photo report as the resolution of the last Sigma camera it tested in lines?

"In the SD1's case, we found resolution ended up being closer to what you'd get from a 16mp DSLR. The SD1 turned in 2380 lines per picture height in our test..."

Now perhaps you see my point: according to Pop Photo, the SD1 is 2380x2280x1.5 or only 8.5 megapixels or 55% of spec. Still want to use Pop Photo for your resolution solution? Now a second question for you: when Pop Photo measures resolution of the sensor, do they use OOC JPEG or raw?

-- hide signature --

Erik

You have made your case very well.  I can only say I've been mistaken.  It truly seems that Pop Photo does not understand the Foveon.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh WG-4 GPS Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro +9 more
RonJG
RonJG Regular Member • Posts: 200
Re: I've been here long enough..

Chuck Lantz wrote:

You don't write a photo lighting "how to" when your own published work proves beyond any doubt that you don't know the first thing about lighting.

Remember those words, Chuck. Mark them well.

SigmaChrome Veteran Member • Posts: 9,476

RonJG wrote:

Chuck Lantz wrote:

You don't write a photo lighting "how to" when your own published work proves beyond any doubt that you don't know the first thing about lighting.

You'd better start trembling in your boots, Chuck.

-- hide signature --
 SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro +20 more
Peter A. Stavrakoglou Veteran Member • Posts: 7,860
Re: Rockwell has zero credibility

Gary Dean Mercer Clark wrote:

Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:

Ken Rockwell has no credibility. In his own words he notes on his website not to take anything he says seriously and not many of us in this and other forums do take him seriously. Anyone who posts reviews of hardware without ever using said hardware has a huge credibility problem.

-- hide signature --

My humble photo gallery: http://www.pete-the-greek.com

Rockwell even clearly states that his blog is for entertainment purposes only and was started as a joke and it was taken seriously. It still amazes me that people take what he says seriously. Its the biggest long running photography joke in the industry. I have to give him credit for creating a website the generates income for him and his family! Good job Ken! LOL But he's not an expert--he is very entertaining!

-- hide signature --

Gary Dean Mercer Clark

My friend, creating his website and generating income is certainly something we must give him credit for.  Kudos to him for doing it.

-- hide signature --

My humble photo gallery: http://www.pete-the-greek.com

Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list:Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sigma SD15 Canon EOS 7D Sigma SD1 Merrill +16 more
Chuck Lantz Veteran Member • Posts: 4,332

SigmaChrome wrote:

RonJG wrote:

Chuck Lantz wrote:

You'd better start trembling in your boots, Chuck.

Regards,
Vitée

Indeed.

Chuck Lantz's gear list:Chuck Lantz's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D700 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 +25 more
Gary Dean Mercer Clark
Gary Dean Mercer Clark Veteran Member • Posts: 5,580
Re: Big ticket guy

People disagree with each other's opinions, but I don't think it is necessary for anyone to be trashing anyone else here.

We can all agree to disagree politely. There is no core group running the Sigma forum, just an assorted group of people that really like the foveon technology.

I just don't understand these personal attacks.

I for one love photography and really hope that you and others can tone down this back and forth stuff.  Post some images. Go shoot some fun stuff.

Photography is the world"s number one hobby.  Its supposed to be enjoyable.

No need for anyone to carry an ax to grind.  Personal opinions are welcome here, but personal attacks against others are just not the right way.  I've slipped on the banana peel down that rabbit hole too many times to know that it doesn't make your life or anyone else's better.  Just be kind hearted--you'll make life long friends here.

You can't  judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes---You can try--but the shoes will NEVER fit on your feet!----©2013 Gary Dean Mercer Clark

RonJG wrote:

Laurence Matson wrote:

RonJG wrote:

SandyF wrote:

RonJG wrote:

SandyF wrote:

I wouldn't call him a professional "reviewer" ... he's an amateur photographer user of various brands with some comments on his blog. BTW he used to post here frequently, but I haven't noticed him around lately.

FWIW, I find his coloration on posted photos on the blog are... somewhat weird. Like he's trying to do HDR ..or use "Foveon blue" setting LOL. That's not what comes from the camera around the Pacific coast, Half Moon Bay, etc. unless he's doing something really strange with his processing. He's based around Stanford Univ. area I recall (student? I don't remember). Also FWIW I shot directly into the sun with the DP2Merrill at Carmel at sunset and did not get 'spots.' He had to try really hard ... or pick the worst photo... to get that effect as on his blog.

FWIW too here are my photos from the same Pacific coast area last August. Many are DP2Merrill; others are Canon 5DII, couple with original DP1/DP2 cameras

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann/sets/72157631359840500/

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

His work leaves your efforts for dead.

Deal with it.

Sticks and stones.

I don't see life ... or photography... as a competition.
I'm amused by your efforts to "trash" people who like their Sigma cameras.

I trash people who are bullies and are dishonest.

Deal with it.

I am sure you do. Which leads me to conclude that the household mirror-replacement costs in your abode must be astounding. Good business for someone though.

Take care mate!

Your conclusion is entirely fantasy and totally misplaced, Mister Matson.

Might I suggest a dose of decency for you, tid?

-- hide signature --

Gary Dean Mercer Clark

Gary Dean Mercer Clark's gear list:Gary Dean Mercer Clark's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sony a77 II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads