XZ-2 discounted on Amazon

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions
jon404 Senior Member • Posts: 2,152
XZ-2 discounted on Amazon

Noticed tonight that the XZ-2 is down to $549 for Amazon Prime subscribers. Not bad.

Downloaded the user manual the other day, and there are a LOT of changes in it's capabilities compared to my XZ-1. VERY tempting! Guess I'll just have to get a shirt with a bigger pockets.

-- hide signature --

Jonathon Donahue -- Olympus XZ-1 tips at http://jon404.com

Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Clancyboy Contributing Member • Posts: 618
Re: XZ-2 discounted on Amazon

Hello Jonathon - Thanks for the heads up. I did a quick check and B and H has the same deal, free shipping and a free 8GB WiFi card rebate. Also, you wouldn't have the sales tax that Amazon now charges for California. Very tempting indeed!

Clancyboy

-- hide signature --

"That was just a dream some of us had." - Joni Mitchell

Feudal1
Feudal1 Regular Member • Posts: 367

Yeah, I believe the Olympus $50 rebate is for this week (and maybe next, but not 100% sure about that).  If you want to buy the XZ-2 in the near future, this is a good time time to do so.

Feudal1's gear list:Feudal1's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm X100T Sony RX100 IV Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D750 +3 more
joe6pack Senior Member • Posts: 1,590

jon404 wrote:

Noticed tonight that the XZ-2 is down to $549 for Amazon Prime subscribers. Not bad.

Downloaded the user manual the other day, and there are a LOT of changes in it's capabilities compared to my XZ-1. VERY tempting! Guess I'll just have to get a shirt with a bigger pockets.

-- hide signature --

*yawn*

XZ-2 missed the shopping season BIG TIME. The fact that there is only 5 reviews speaks for itself. With all the competitions, $549 is still too expensive. It needs to shave another $100 for it to remain relevant.

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Corel Aftershot Pro IrfanView DxO Optics Pro Elite
OP jon404 Senior Member • Posts: 2,152

joe6pack wrote:

$549 is still too expensive. It needs to shave another $100 for it to remain relevant...

You think so? Seems like it's a LOT better than my XZ-1... how about $499? And a workshirt with a bigger, stronger pocket... The XZ-2 is heavier. I will NEVER go back to a camera that I can't keep in my shirt pocket. So spoiled by the XZ-1!

Also anybody with an XZ-2 -- please check for me if it will hold a manual focus point, like 100', or like infinity, through an off-then-on-again cycle. That would be just great -- the XZ-1 resets to wide-angle when you turn it off, then on.

-- hide signature --

skeys Veteran Member • Posts: 3,191
LOL, double-effect denial marketing

In early 2009, I used a spreadsheet to keep track of certain camera and lens prices. I no longer even need the spreadsheet to keep track of the changes; it's become second nature. I have come to a conclusion, in my opinion, of how some (maybe even many - I don't look at many) cameras are now marketed.

I purchased an XZ-1 for my daughter when the price dropped to a cannot-resist $199. (And just look at how well that camera maintains its usability: lots of new posts each week for the XZ-1.) The XZ-2, however, is priced at an easily, for me, resistible $599. Then came the January new camera announcements prior to CP+, this apparently equivalently priced one, for example: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/08/fujifilm-x20-hands-on-preview . Release date for this one is conjectured to be as early as mid-February to late March.

And now we see a $50 off deal on the XZ-2. The way I see it: every Oly XZ-2 sold at this price has two effects: (1) Oly gets the sale of an XZ-2 and (2) denies the sale of a competitor's a similarly-priced camera.

To Jon: I have not forgotten the photos I owe you; just been a little busier than anticipated.

Steve

-- hide signature --

My comments and opinions are my own. I am neither a staff member, nor a paid employee, of DPReview.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads