Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions
ki11ua Forum Member • Posts: 58
Tripod Head help needed

Hello,

I'm between these tripod heads:
Giottos GTMH1311-652

Manfrotto 804RC2

Giottos MH5001

My consideration is for the durability of ballheads & the ease of adjustment in the long-term use.

I have experience with Manfrotto 804RC2, which I find it a bit bulky & heavier for traveling, but it does the job pretty well.

d800 with 70-200 will be the max load.

Any experience or advice would be really helpful.

ki11ua's gear list:ki11ua's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +6 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
happysnapper64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,417
Re: Tripod Head help needed

I have just bought the 054-Q2. It is much easier to adjust than the 3 way that I bought with the tripod [055CXPRO3] It's a magnesium construction with a load limit of 8-10kg. Holds my 7D+Sigma 120-400 OS rock solid. Quite expensive at £150.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more
OP ki11ua Forum Member • Posts: 58

054-Q2 is a bit on the expensive side for my use, but thanks for the reply and the confirmation for the ease of use of ball-heads.

Sony SLT-A55 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +6 more

Look at the 496RC2, or 498RC2 both Manfrotto. Another option I was considdering was the Vanguard SBH-250. All 3 are in the region of £60-80. I know we all have to work to a budget, but IMO it is better to get one that is more than capable. The general rule is, the bigger the ball, the more steady it will hold. I only have 1 lens that is what you would call heavy, [Sigma 120-400 OS] 2 if you count a 70-200f/4 IS, But a smaller ballhead would simply droop with a long exposure @ 400mm with lens extended.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more

happysnapper64 wrote:

Look at the 496RC2, or 498RC2 both Manfrotto. Another option I was considdering was the Vanguard SBH-250. All 3 are in the region of £60-80. I know we all have to work to a budget, but IMO it is better to get one that is more than capable. The general rule is, the bigger the ball, the more steady it will hold. I only have 1 lens that is what you would call heavy, [Sigma 120-400 OS] 2 if you count a 70-200f/4 IS, But a smaller ballhead would simply droop with a long exposure @ 400mm with lens extended.

Thank you,

I have included the 498rc2 on the selected 4 that I have ended.
I currently tend a bit on the Giottos GTMH1311-652, mainly only for less bad reviews, less wight but bigger max load.

I have left out the Vanguard SBH-250 from my selection, but thank you for reminding it.

Just had a look at the Giottos video. I think it looks a good choice. Good price too.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

Kuppenbender
Kuppenbender Senior Member • Posts: 2,140
German Ballhead review

I wouldn't make a decision based on one review alone, but according to this review, you should add Feisol and Sirui to your shortlist.

There's no mention of Giottos, but Manfrotto don't do all that well.

I would also aim for something with at least a 38mm/40mm ball head for your setup. The 'maximum load' specified by manufacturers isn't necessarily much of a guide to optimum useability.

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
Re: German Ballhead review

Kuppenbender wrote:

I wouldn't make a decision based on one review alone, but according to this review, you should add Feisol and Sirui to your shortlist.

I would also aim for something with at least a 38mm/40mm ball head for your setup. The 'maximum load' specified by manufacturers isn't necessarily much of a guide to optimum useability.

You make some valid points. The max load is to be taken with a pinch of salt. I took my camera & heaviest lens with me when I bought mine, & it worked fine. held the load solid for a half hour or so without drooping 1mm. What does "Haltefahigkeit" & "Dampfung" mean?

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

ropausa Regular Member • Posts: 177

happysnapper64 wrote:

Kuppenbender wrote:

I wouldn't make a decision based on one review alone, but according to this review, you should add Feisol and Sirui to your shortlist.

You make some valid points. The max load is to be taken with a pinch of salt. I took my camera & heaviest lens with me when I bought mine, & it worked fine. held the load solid for a half hour or so without drooping 1mm. What does "Haltefahigkeit" & "Dampfung" mean?

This is a camera store site in Germany so they are probably testing most of what the carry and not everything that is available.

Kuppenbender

happysnapper64 wrote:.

What does "Haltefahigkeit" & "Dampfung" mean?

Your guess is as good as mine.

'Halte' means 'stop', so I'd assume that has something to do with the ability to fix the ballhead in place.

I'd hazard a guess that 'dampfung' is something like 'dampening' and is about the ability to absorb vibrations.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
Kuppenbender

ropausa wrote:.

This is a camera store site in Germany so they are probably testing most of what the carry and not everything that is available.

Ah. That immediately casts some doubt on their impartiality. I hate to be cynical, but profit margins on individual products could affect their findings.

Good point. Thank's.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

Kuppenbender wrote:

happysnapper64 wrote:.

What does "Haltefahigkeit" & "Dampfung" mean?

Your guess is as good as mine.

'Halte' means 'stop', so I'd assume that has something to do with the ability to fix the ballhead in place.

I'd hazard a guess that 'dampfung' is something like 'dampening' and is about the ability to absorb vibrations.

Sorry, your signature & refering to a German site, I assumed you were German. Lesson for today...never assume!! Oh, by the way, the "Haltefahigkeit" & "Dampfung" seem pretty good on my 054-Q2. LOL.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

Thank you for the Sirui K-20X /K-30X addition, which I can also order it in my area.
They are a bit pricier but they seem to really worth it.
Now I am really curious to see how the Giottos GTMH1311-652 performs against the Sirui K-20X /K-30X beast.

ALso I can't find info about the size of the ball for the Giottos, only the 60mm base, which in comparison with 50mm of Sirui K-20X base seems to be bigger.

I'll soon decide between these 2.

From what I find the k30x is only 4 pounds more expensive than k20x .

Would it be an exaggeration to get that?

Do you think any downside expect the +100grams?

ki11ua wrote:

From what I find the k30x is only 4 pounds more expensive than k20x .

Would it be an exaggeration to get that?

Do you think any downside expect the +100grams?

Some may opt for the lighter version because their camera/lens combo is not particularly heavy. I went for the lesser of the 2 Manfrotto's because the bigger one cost £50 more, & the one I got held my stuff well. If there had only been £10 difference, as there is with yours I would go for the K30x. You might want to add an off camera flash & a grip which bumps the weight up. For so little extra I would go with the bigger one. just my opinion.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

Osvaldo Cristo
Osvaldo Cristo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,347
Acratech ballheads

Acratech ballheads are sturdy, well constructed and light weight. At less than 1 pound it really worths its mass.

I have used the same Ultimate model for more than seven years extensively and submitted it to all kind of abuse: snow, sand, mudd, water, vapor, humidity, vibration, direct shock against concrete, checked at air flight and a lot more. It is dented and scratched but works as new, so far.

Currently Acratech has other models additionally to their traditional Ultimate - it looks constructed at last at same level of quality.

I strongly recommend them.

Best regards,

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

Osvaldo Cristo's gear list:Osvaldo Cristo's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon D810 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +32 more
Thanasosdk Regular Member • Posts: 100

I am not german. But have been raised were there is german tv. Haltefahigkeit" & "Dampfung, I think it meens something like Holding force og dampening.

Thomas

Thanasosdk's gear list:Thanasosdk's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Canon EOS 550D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +2 more

Thank's Thomas.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

I have ordered the sirui k-30x!

I hope it will fit smoothly on my alta pro 263AT.
Thanx everyone

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads