decent CPL filter

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Questions
Jasonsmom Regular Member • Posts: 173
decent CPL filter

I was thinking of getting a Circular Polarizing filter & don't want to spend a fortune.  Any recommendations on brands?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
tclune Senior Member • Posts: 1,200
Re: decent CPL filter

Marumi DHG Super CPL. You can get it from The Filter Connection. I have no economic interest in either company, but that is the CPL I use on my lenses and the place that I got them. I've been quite happy with both. FWIW

bigbry New Member • Posts: 11

try amazon or ebay i got a filter for 4.30

Guidenet
Guidenet Forum Pro • Posts: 15,748

Jasonsmom wrote:

I was thinking of getting a Circular Polarizing filter & don't want to spend a fortune. Any recommendations on brands?

B+W or Heliopan are fairly good ones. I use B+W almost exclusively:

B + W 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer Filter in Wide Angle Slim Mount, MRC Coated Glass.That's in 77mm thread. Less is cheaper. That's a great price for a German all brass filter with good seals and good foils. The MRC coating is some of the best and resists water and is easy to clean. Unlike aluminum rings, brass doesn't stick to the lens or other filters where you need a filter wrench to break it free. The glass is mounted unstressed so heat and cold doesn't make it warp. Schott glass is considered the finest in the world made by Schneider Optical.

They cost less if you don't opt for the wide angle models or slim mount. I just like it.

http://www.adorama.com/BW77CPLKM.html

Heliopan are considered as good at B+W but cost a good bit more for the same thing, but they really are very nice. Heliopan 77mm Slim Mount, Wide Angle Circular Polarizer Filter, SH-PMC 16 Layer Super Hard Multi-Coated. They are also hand machined brass rings with knurled grips. They also use Schott Glass from Schneider Kreuznach.

http://www.adorama.com/HP77CPLMS.html

There are a lot of cheaper Japanese and Chinese filters from Hoya and others. They are not bad, but I buy good lenses and want the very best glass on the outside if I'm going to add it. I also don't care for aluminum rings and unsealed where moisture can form. The funny thing is, you can often pay the same thing for a Hoya as you might pay for a B+W. Might as well get the good one.

Don't get me wrong. Hoya is one of the best in their top grades. It just isn't a B+W, Schneider, Heliopan or Rodenstock.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +31 more
wyeman
wyeman Regular Member • Posts: 484

Jasonsmom wrote:

. . . don't want to spend a fortune.

Someone once said  - "If you've paid for a quality camera and you've put a good lens on it, why would you want to put a cheap piece of glass in front of it . . ."

-- hide signature --

Peter

ropausa Regular Member • Posts: 177

I have both the Heliopan SH-PMC slim Circular Polarizer and the new High Transmission SH-PMC slim circular polarizer. With the newer High Transmission one I get about 2/3rds of a stop more light and the same polarizing effect as the older SH-PMC CP.

As far as I know no other manufacturer has the same polarizer as the High Transmission one from Heliopan.

"Schott Glass from Schneider Kreuznach"

Schott is a Zeiss company. Nothing to do with Schneider

Rich Rosen Senior Member • Posts: 2,356

Jasonsmom wrote:

I was thinking of getting a Circular Polarizing filter & don't want to spend a fortune. Any recommendations on brands?

I was going to recommend Cokin to you, but their prices have gone thru the roof since I last bought. The next best is B+W which I also use. G.et the B+W. Its quality and cheaper than Cokin

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D1X Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +23 more
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 14,774
Does your lens turn?

Jasonsmom wrote:

I don't know what lens you're using, but on many zoom lenses the front (where the filter screws in) rotates when you focus. If your lens is like this, it's much harder to use a polarizing filter because the polarizing effect changes as you turn it.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Guidenet

ropausa wrote:

I have both the Heliopan SH-PMC slim Circular Polarizer and the new High Transmission SH-PMC slim circular polarizer. With the newer High Transmission one I get about 2/3rds of a stop more light and the same polarizing effect as the older SH-PMC CP.

As far as I know no other manufacturer has the same polarizer as the High Transmission one from Heliopan.

I own and love Heliopan as well. Some told me that Rodenstock were made by Heliopan or the other way around these days. Do you know?

I certainly could use that extra 2/3rd stop. I'm going to take a look at that. Thanks

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Guidenet

ropausa wrote:

"Schott Glass from Schneider Kreuznach"

Schott is a Zeiss company. Nothing to do with Schneider

Really? Great. I knew Carl Zeiss was one of the cofounders of Schott but I didn't know they owned them. I thought Schneider had purchased them, but I guess I'm wrong.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

OP Jasonsmom Regular Member • Posts: 173

Thanks for help.

Guidenet wrote:

ropausa wrote:

I own and love Heliopan as well. Some told me that Rodenstock were made by Heliopan or the other way around these days. Do you know?

I certainly could use that extra 2/3rd stop. I'm going to take a look at that. Thanks

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

The Rodenstock filters that are in yellow colored boxes are made by Heliopan. The red and black boxed ones are not made in Germany.

Joseph S Wisniewski Forum Pro • Posts: 34,130
I avoid Heliopan.

ropausa wrote:

Several other brands had high transmission polarizers before Heliopan.

I avoid Heliopan like the plague. Their quality and product range is pretty much equivalent to B+W, but in the U.S. you have to pay approximately a 30% premium over B+W, due to the actions of Heliopan's exclusive U.S. distributor.

Aside from price gouging, I have seen one representative of that distributor make all sorts of outrageous claims about the products he represents, until he finally got himself banned from dpReview for spamming.

I just can't see doing business with people like that.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008. Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed. Ciao! Joseph www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads