Canon 6D and Lens question 70-200 F2.8 V2 or F4 IS

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions
madhu0 Forum Member • Posts: 95
You just missed the rebate window

James Cricket wrote:

I should have my f4L tomorrow. Still looking forward to impressions and pics when you get yours.

You just missed the rebate and offer window from many retailers (They ended on Feb 2nd). It was nice to get this lens for at least $200 less than you pay normal...

-Madhu

mablacksv
mablacksv Contributing Member • Posts: 740
Correct way to make your decision

Dane01 wrote:

All great feedbacks, well I went ahead and borrowed a 70-200 f2.8 VII, as was curious, of course the images are excellent no doubt but at the same time the lens is way too heavy for daily use and way too big. Definitely not a casual use lens. Have decided to get the F4 after using the 2.8 and also reading all the discussions. Hope the F4 turns out to be almost similar sharpness as the F2.8 as quality was really sharp.

Also with the 6D could always use the extra stop as am sure will be sharp enough. Cant wait to get the F4 and update. Thanks for all the posts.

Getting a hands on feel for any lens is far more more valuable than any advice you can get in these forums.  I use the f/2.8 v2 on a daily basis, and wouldn't part with it.  But image quality doesn't mean much if it sits in your camera bag because its too big and bulky for you to use.

And, if you ever get a chance to borrow a 135 f/2, do so.  Light weight, inconspicuous and stunning IQ.

John

JackM
JackM Veteran Member • Posts: 8,072
Congrats, enjoy.

Dane01 wrote:

All great feedbacks, well I went ahead and borrowed a 70-200 f2.8 VII, as was curious, of course the images are excellent no doubt but at the same time the lens is way too heavy for daily use and way too big. Definitely not a casual use lens. Have decided to get the F4 after using the 2.8 and also reading all the discussions. Hope the F4 turns out to be almost similar sharpness as the F2.8 as quality was really sharp.

Also with the 6D could always use the extra stop as am sure will be sharp enough. Cant wait to get the F4 and update. Thanks for all the posts.

Congrats on your new lens, you won't regret it.  I've had both lenses in question.  The f/4 is very sharp.  The issue of one more stop of light is almost insignificant now, because the 6D is at least one stop better than the 5D2 in terms of noise.  And the DOF difference from f/2.8 to f/4 is pretty small and over-hyped.  The 70-200/2.8II is now really only for people who need/want to turn the volume up to 11.  I think the biggest advantage to the f/2.8 is the extra sensitivity it unlocks in the autofocus system, but I have not done a side-by-side test in that regard.  The advantage of the f/4 is the size, weight, and savings, and all three are very significant.  Enjoy!

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +5 more
OP Dane01 Forum Member • Posts: 71
Re: Canon 6D and Lens question 70-200 F2.8 V2 or F4 IS

Well after a week of  trying broth the lens, sold my F4 and bought a new 2.8 again. Just did not enjoy using the F4 , the 2.8 felt right in the hands and more balanced than the F4. Not that heavy and feels right. The picture quality is just amazing with the 2.8 compared to the F4, and the depth of field definitely shows. Finally kept the 2.8 in the bag and use it almost all the time. Took a while to make a decision and in the process bought sold 2 lenses but in the end definitely enjoying the f2.8, for me seems the correct way to go, as for the extra amount it is a great lens and the option to add a tele convertor makes it a winner.

AOKH
AOKH Senior Member • Posts: 2,675

Dane01 wrote:

Well after a week of trying broth the lens, sold my F4 and bought a new 2.8 again. Just did not enjoy using the F4 , the 2.8 felt right in the hands and more balanced than the F4. Not that heavy and feels right. The picture quality is just amazing with the 2.8 compared to the F4, and the depth of field definitely shows. Finally kept the 2.8 in the bag and use it almost all the time. Took a while to make a decision and in the process bought sold 2 lenses but in the end definitely enjoying the f2.8, for me seems the correct way to go, as for the extra amount it is a great lens and the option to add a tele convertor makes it a winner.

Just goes to show how people's comfort zone with regard to weight/size is highly personal. Asking fellow forum members these types of questions is largely useless. One has to try and find out for one self.  My 70-200 II goes with me everywhere as well, although I suspect I am in the minority in that regard. IQ wise, there should be nothing between them.

-- hide signature --

Regards. Anders

AOKH's gear list:AOKH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +14 more
Buchanan Senior Member • Posts: 1,124

Agreed.  Love both my 70-200s and for shooting back-to-back basketball games I have no problem with the 2.8II size and weight, but for carrying around outside all day doing sightseeing I'll take my f4 IS.  Also if there is a discernable difference in IQ to him (other than DOF) then he had a bad copy of the f4 IS, which would seem to be very rare for this lens.

Buchanan's gear list:Buchanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 70D +15 more
JackM
JackM Veteran Member • Posts: 8,072

Dane01 wrote:

Well after a week of trying broth the lens, sold my F4 and bought a new 2.8 again. Just did not enjoy using the F4 , the 2.8 felt right in the hands and more balanced than the F4. Not that heavy and feels right.

It's good that you were able to try both lenses and make the decision.  Now you can be confident you made the right choice for you.  Having had both lenses, I know what you mean about the balance.

The picture quality is just amazing with the 2.8 compared to the F4,

Either you had a "bad copy" of the f4, or this statement is pure sour grapes.  The f4 is known to be one of Canon's best lenses.

and the depth of field definitely shows. Finally kept the 2.8 in the bag and use it almost all the time. Took a while to make a decision and in the process bought sold 2 lenses but in the end definitely enjoying the f2.8, for me seems the correct way to go, as for the extra amount it is a great lens and the option to add a tele convertor makes it a winner.

Indeed it is the ultimate.  I recently got a bigger+better bag, and the weight of the f2.8 is now practically a non-issue.  I went from a Tamrac Velocity 7 to an 8, and it carries and distributes the weight much more comfortably.  The 8 literally makes the load feel lighter.  The 7's thinner and less padded strap dug in to my shoulder and made the load feel uncomfortably heavy.

Enjoy your new lens!

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +5 more
Greg Gebhardt
Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,500
Only had my 70-200 F4 for a few days

but LOVE IT!  It is smaller and light and the IS works very well on the 6D

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica Q Leica M9 Nikon D4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads