A bit off topic

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions
TeriF
TeriF Senior Member • Posts: 2,823
A bit off topic

I leave the camera cable in the USB port all the time and just remove the camera. Is this a good idea? I have done it for years but been told now, I should remove the cable, when not in use.

Thanks, Teri

TeriF's gear list:TeriF's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7
shanek54 Forum Member • Posts: 81
Re: A bit off topic

TeriF wrote:

I leave the camera cable in the USB port all the time and just remove the camera. Is this a good idea? I have done it for years but been told now, I should remove the cable, when not in use.

Thanks, Teri

Hi Teri,

I think this advice comes from the fear that an unprotected USB cable has both power and ground pins and if they were to be shorted "Bad Things" could happen to your USB port.
I have been doing the same as you for years with no problems, but I have lost a (really cheap and nasty) USB powered hub to a shorted cable.

If any of the experts have a better explanation I would welcome the update in my knowledge.

Cheers,

Shane.

TeriF
OP TeriF Senior Member • Posts: 2,823

Thank you so much for your reply. Maybe is would be a good idea to change my  habits and unplug the USB  cables for my cameras after use. I never gave it any thoughts before.

John Beavin
John Beavin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,196

Why not just use a card reader, I used the cable in the past, until one day the phone rang while I was downloading, I got up and tripped over the cable, and the camera ended up on the floor, lucky no damage  but I learnt a valuable lesson.

John Beavin's gear list:John Beavin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Nikon Coolpix P520 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 +1 more
TeriF

I don't use the cardereader , for some reason it has never worked on my computer and second, Iwould have to crawl under the table.  The cables are to short for me to trip over. I assume it's safe the way I've always done it!

Teri

morepix
morepix Veteran Member • Posts: 9,231
Dangling USB cables

I usually have two USB cables dangling loose from my computer, one for my iPod, the other for my monitor calibration spyder. It's been that way for more than a few moons, and it's never even occurred to me (until now, thanks!) that they might cause a problem.

Aaah ... I'll just leave them there. If the floodwater rises, it might short them out. But then, the computer will be underwater by that time anyway. (Whew!)

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic LX100 Fujifilm X100F Olympus OM-D E-M10 III
Ronomy
Ronomy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,062
Re: Dangling USB cables

You can leave the cables attached...no harm done.  USB ports are supposed to have over current protection and shut down when shorted.  Sometimes requiring a reboot to make them active again.

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +6 more
morepix
Yes, let's leave them dangling

I'm glad to know that. Am I?

This whole thing seems like an urban legend of some sort to me. There are more deserving things to worry about, like a meteorite striking the earth, for example. Aarrrgh!

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix
That is to say ...

... if you can't have a little fun on these forums, why bother to come here?

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

TeriF
Re: That is to say ...

Thanks, my question has been answered.

Teri

Erik Ohlson
Erik Ohlson Forum Pro • Posts: 20,305

TeriF wrote:

I don't use the cardereader , for some reason it has never worked on my computer and second, Iwould have to crawl under the table. The cables are to short for me to trip over. I assume it's safe the way I've always done it!

Teri

I used to have that problem with the cardrfeader plugged in to the remote USB connection on my iMac keyboard, but it works fine with it's own cable plugged in directly to the back of the coputer - but I still just use the USB cable & leave it connected.

I do keep the USB cable short by winding it up U using a cable tie to keep it in a compact bundle.

Cheers to all from Tasmania,  -Erik

-- hide signature --

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads