Any tricks to make this background true white?

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Questions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
dbooksta Regular Member • Posts: 131
Any tricks to make this background true white?

If I use a lasso select then when I fill the background white it leaves striking edges in the shadows of the objects.

If I try to color-correct or play with exposure it also affects the highlights of the bullets that have the same tones as the background.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

 dbooksta's gear list:dbooksta's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony a77 II Tamron AF 28-200mm F/3.8-5.6 XR Di Aspherical (IF) Macro Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro +7 more
ANSWER:
Adventsam Veteran Member • Posts: 4,983
Re: Any tricks to make this background true white?

dbooksta wrote:

If I use a lasso select then when I fill the background white it leaves striking edges in the shadows of the objects.

If I try to color-correct or play with exposure it also affects the highlights of the bullets that have the same tones as the background.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Extract the guns and amo onto a layer and add white colour layer behind, easy

gwlaw99 Senior Member • Posts: 1,113
Re: Any tricks to make this background true white?

What software are you using.  Different software has different extraction tools. Lasso isn't going to cut it.

suddie1215 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,818
Re: Any tricks to make this background true white?
1

You're using the wrong tool to select.  In Photoshop you'd need to use a more advanced selection tool like Color Range or Channels to select the white background.  Then you can add a Levels or Curves adjustment layer to push the whites to pure white (255) and invert the selection to add a mask that protects the  guns and ammo from any adjustment.  It also should be noted that the background is unevenly lit so pushing it to pure white will blow out some portions.

dbooksta wrote:

If I use a lasso select then when I fill the background white it leaves striking edges in the shadows of the objects.

If I try to color-correct or play with exposure it also affects the highlights of the bullets that have the same tones as the background.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

 suddie1215's gear list:suddie1215's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +11 more
Adventsam Veteran Member • Posts: 4,983
Re: Any tricks to make this background true white?



Jack Sofield Senior Member • Posts: 2,301
Re: Any tricks to make this background true white?
1

My effort.  Topaz Remask plus a lot of hand work. Reversed selection and flooded with white. Considerable brush and cloning to get inbetween rounds. Not perfect perhaps, but fun nevertheless. Thanks for the challenge.



-- hide signature --

Always teach for understanding, not agreement. JC Sofield www.pbase.com/jcsofield

drh681
drh681 Forum Pro • Posts: 18,569
Re: Any tricks to make this background true white?

In the levels dialog, choose the white point eyedropper. click in the lower right corner.

then you need to use the shadow/highlight dialog to bring the tones of the pistols back down.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

 drh681's gear list:drh681's gear list
Nokia Lumia Icon
mikes
mikes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,356
Re: Any tricks to make this background true white?
1

I just used Vertus Fluid Mask, then a few touch-ups afterwards around the bullets to keep a bit of shadow. All done with Corel.



dbooksta wrote:

If I use a lasso select then when I fill the background white it leaves striking edges in the shadows of the objects.

If I try to color-correct or play with exposure it also affects the highlights of the bullets that have the same tones as the background.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

-- hide signature --

Only when you can criticize yourself, should you criticize others. Mikes.

Babine Veteran Member • Posts: 6,453
Re: Any tricks to make this background true white?

And yet another way ..

A - your original JPG

B - the original into ACR. The results of sampling various areas of the BG with the white balance tool.

C - in CS6, duplicate of B; set a copy of A over-top, applied a hide-all mask and added back some colour to the rounds with a soft white brush; merged down; duplicated the layer; used the quick selection tool to get an alpha channel of just the sidearms; applied Shadows/Highlights to enhance the detail universally and then the alpha channel and a mask to restrict the effect just to the sidearms; sharpened selectively.

-

Cheers.
Gary
http://forums.dpreview.com/Galleries/8298604696/photos
http://www.pbase.com/pictek
From a patient during his colonoscopy, 'Hey Doc. Could you write a note for my buddy saying that my head is not up there?'

GCam Veteran Member • Posts: 7,366
Re: Any tricks to make this background true white?

try selective color adjustment layer>select white>move black slider to left.  gc

dbooksta OP Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: Any tricks to make this background true white?

suddie1215 wrote:

You're using the wrong tool to select. In Photoshop you'd need to use a more advanced selection tool like Color Range or Channels to select the white background. Then you can add a Levels or Curves adjustment layer to push the whites to pure white (255) and invert the selection to add a mask that protects the guns and ammo from any adjustment. It also should be noted that the background is unevenly lit so pushing it to pure white will blow out some portions.

(Note that I actually do want to blow out the whole background to pure white.)

The results of your process look great.  I tried to follow your instructions in Photoshop but I'm too much of a novice.  If you have the patience and could spell out the process you followed (including behind which tool and/or sub-sub-menu each step is hidden) I would be be thrilled.

In any case your results set a superior example of what can be done in this situation, and I thank you for that!

 dbooksta's gear list:dbooksta's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony a77 II Tamron AF 28-200mm F/3.8-5.6 XR Di Aspherical (IF) Macro Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro +7 more
hedwards Regular Member • Posts: 268
Re: Any tricks to make this background true white?

This is an easy one. The only white I see in the entire image is the background. Neither the gun nor the ammo seems to have any white.

So, just copy the layer and apply threshold to the new layer. You should see in the histogram a place where things are whiter than the highlights on everything except the background. Choose somewhere that only makes the bullets and gun black.

Then just use the select by color range and make sure that it will select all the black in the image. Cut the black away and you should be left with an image that has the brightest possible background in about 3 minutes tops.

dbooksta OP Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: Any tricks to make this background true white?

Adventsam wrote:

Extract the guns and amo onto a layer and add white colour layer behind, easy

Using the Magic Wand to extract them this approach either leaves a stark shadow around the guns, or if pushed to snug up to the guns begins to encroach on the ammo.

 dbooksta's gear list:dbooksta's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony a77 II Tamron AF 28-200mm F/3.8-5.6 XR Di Aspherical (IF) Macro Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro +7 more
dbooksta OP Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: Any tricks to make this background true white?

Babine wrote:

And yet another way ..

A - your original JPG

B - the original into ACR. The results of sampling various areas of the BG with the white balance tool.

C - in CS6, duplicate of B; set a copy of A over-top, applied a hide-all mask and added back some colour to the rounds with a soft white brush; merged down; duplicated the layer; used the quick selection tool to get an alpha channel of just the sidearms; applied Shadows/Highlights to enhance the detail universally and then the alpha channel and a mask to restrict the effect just to the sidearms; sharpened selectively.

-

Cheers.
Gary
http://forums.dpreview.com/Galleries/8298604696/photos
http://www.pbase.com/pictek

Excellent results -- thanks!  But sounds way beyond my capabilities with CS6 at this point!

 dbooksta's gear list:dbooksta's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony a77 II Tamron AF 28-200mm F/3.8-5.6 XR Di Aspherical (IF) Macro Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro +7 more
dbooksta OP Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: Any tricks to make this background true white?

hedwards wrote:

This is an easy one. The only white I see in the entire image is the background. Neither the gun nor the ammo seems to have any white.

So, just copy the layer and apply threshold to the new layer. You should see in the histogram a place where things are whiter than the highlights on everything except the background. Choose somewhere that only makes the bullets and gun black.

Then just use the select by color range and make sure that it will select all the black in the image. Cut the black away and you should be left with an image that has the brightest possible background in about 3 minutes tops.

That almost works, except that the bullets have a few highlights that are actually whiter than the background, which is what makes this (as far as I knew) much harder....

 dbooksta's gear list:dbooksta's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony a77 II Tamron AF 28-200mm F/3.8-5.6 XR Di Aspherical (IF) Macro Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro +7 more
hedwards Regular Member • Posts: 268
Re: Any tricks to make this background true white?

Well, in that case, you break out the lasso or paint those in black on that black and white layer. Or you set the magic wand to only accept contiguous areas when doing the selection.

If you just want to color balance the white background, you can copy the b&W layer and use it as the mask for a application of levels. Just copy it into the layer mask should work. And use that grey eyedropper to balance the color or move the middle triangle till you like the result.

Allen Gerdes Veteran Member • Posts: 5,605
Re: Any tricks to make this background true white?

I would like to see your results using this method.

Regards....Allen

Adventsam Veteran Member • Posts: 4,983
Re: Any tricks to make this background true white?

dbooksta wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

Extract the guns and amo onto a layer and add white colour layer behind, easy

Using the Magic Wand to extract them this approach either leaves a stark shadow around the guns, or if pushed to snug up to the guns begins to encroach on the ammo.

There's no shadow in my attempt? it was quick and dirty and I could tidy it up but it's easy to do.

SamanthaN New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Any tricks to make this background true white?

I would mask it using a path and then fill with white or use a guy like clippingshop.com to take care of it for you.

GCam Veteran Member • Posts: 7,366
Re: Any tricks to make this background true white?

select white with magic wand, including outer shadows>invert selection>image>apply image>

rgb>multiply>opacity at 50%>flatten>invert selection>edit>fill>white.  gc

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads