Why only a score of 17 (lenses) on DXO

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions
PeterNMIF Senior Member • Posts: 2,438
Why only a score of 17 (lenses) on DXO

I don't understand why the really really sharp Oly primes "only" score 17 or so on the DXO.  This puts them in the middle of the DXO poor-to-excellent spectrum.  I see lots of less sharp lenses from Canon and Nikon scoring higher.  Obviously, I have missed something here but can't find a reasonable explanatoin on DXO's web.  I'm sure its been discussed here, but I couldn't find it with search either.

So, what's the story behind these scoring differences?

Thanks for your insights.

Peter F.

(Don't get me wrong... regardless of DXO I will happily be using my 45, 75 and 60 macro.)

-- hide signature --
 PeterNMIF's gear list:PeterNMIF's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus E-M1 +1 more
don_van_vliet Contributing Member • Posts: 618
Is it because of their 'apparent megapixels' sharpness rating?

The current upper limit for 43 sensors is 16mp, APS is 24mp and FF is 36mp. Rating on the apparent megapixels (or whatever they call it) seems like it might introduce a bias towards favouring large sensors in terms of rating.

Comparing lenses from the same sytem to each other makes sens therefore, but comparing results from a 43 lens to an FF lens, for example, is probably meaningless.

OP PeterNMIF Senior Member • Posts: 2,438
Re: Is it because of their 'apparent megapixels' sharpness rating?

Thanks.  That is sort of what I felt was the case, as it was really the only answer.

Peter F.

-- hide signature --
 PeterNMIF's gear list:PeterNMIF's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus E-M1 +1 more
schirmer Regular Member • Posts: 443

DXO wants to sell software correcting gear flaws. So there need to be flaws in their findings...

Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,466

PeterNMIF wrote:

Thanks. That is sort of what I felt was the case, as it was really the only answer.

Peter F.

On top of that, the DxO rating is partly based on how much light a lens can gather. A 50/1.4 for FF will gather four times as much light as a 25/1.4 for MFT at the same exposure due to the larger image circle (and larger sensor). So in a way, they count the FF advantage twice: First when rating sensors and then when rating lenses. One would think that once might be enough.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,637

don_van_vliet wrote:

The current upper limit for 43 sensors is 16mp, APS is 24mp and FF is 36mp. Rating on the apparent megapixels (or whatever they call it) seems like it might introduce a bias towards favouring large sensors in terms of rating.

Comparing lenses from the same sytem to each other makes sens therefore, but comparing results from a 43 lens to an FF lens, for example, is probably meaningless.

True.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,637

Anders W wrote:

PeterNMIF wrote:

Thanks. That is sort of what I felt was the case, as it was really the only answer.

Peter F.

On top of that, the DxO rating is partly based on how much light a lens can gather. A 50/1.4 for FF will gather four times as much light as a 25/1.4 for MFT at the same exposure due to the larger image circle (and larger sensor). So in a way, they count the FF advantage twice: First when rating sensors and then when rating lenses. One would think that once might be enough.

I think they should find another way to rate the lenses. This method makes confusion to many.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,466

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Anders W wrote:

PeterNMIF wrote:

Peter F.

On top of that, the DxO rating is partly based on how much light a lens can gather. A 50/1.4 for FF will gather four times as much light as a 25/1.4 for MFT at the same exposure due to the larger image circle (and larger sensor). So in a way, they count the FF advantage twice: First when rating sensors and then when rating lenses. One would think that once might be enough.

I think they should find another way to rate the lenses. This method makes confusion to many.

So do I. I never cared about their scores but found their MTF curves useful. Since they have dropped those in favor of the P-Mpix mumbo-jumbo, I don't find much reason to look at their lens reviews any more. The sensor tests remain very valuable, but in that case too, I don't care much about the scores. I just look at their measurements.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
acahaya
acahaya Senior Member • Posts: 1,161
Re: +1 (nt)
-- hide signature --

acahaya's gear list:acahaya's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II
reygon Senior Member • Posts: 2,037

Anders W wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Anders W wrote:

PeterNMIF wrote:

Peter F.

So do I. I never cared about their scores but found their MTF curves useful. Since they have dropped those in favor of the P-Mpix mumbo-jumbo, I don't find much reason to look at their lens reviews any more. The sensor tests remain very valuable, but in that case too, I don't care much about the scores. I just look at their measurements.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Same here. I only check it for recommended lens' 'sharp' focal lengths and when CA are obvious to extreme.

I'm over comparing a v8 engine against a v6 engine and just keep driving/shooting

-- hide signature --

reygon
----------------------------------------------------------------
Take nothing but photos... Kill nothing but time... Leave nothing but footprints...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads