Olympus Statement About Fourthirds and Micro Fourthirds

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions
Forgottenbutnotgone Contributing Member • Posts: 669
Re: Olympus Statement About Fourthirds and Micro Fourthirds

mpeman wrote:

It is not a matter of what is considered trolling, but rather how one discusses an issue. Simply talking about a shortcoming is one thing. Ranting about it at every opportunity is another.

With all due respect, "ranting" is a subjective term and has consistently been used along with the term trolling to discredit legitimate complaints. If the purpose of 1022 is indeed to "discuss" Olympus DSLR's why should there infinitely more tolerance for positive hyperbole and puffery than negative truth? Why is there no tolerance for the use of the word fanboy but as demonstrated in this very thread, the term troll is not considered "offensive, malicious or antagonistic"? And note the term that was used was not an adjective, but as a noun. The person who used it is in effect stating that at least someone who has responded in this thread is not engaging in trolling but IS a troll.

You'll be quick to note though that now there is very large number of people "ranting" about the very same thing Ricardo was. Not only are they ranting, they are leaving. Just look at the numbers of long time Olympus faithful who have left here for other brands or at least a better sensor within the brand.

If what Pris said here is true http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50773056,

"And before I move on from this, I want to let you know that Olympus DOES listen to what its customers are saying online. When it was time for our product feedback session, they were very receptive to all the suggestions my fellow Visionaries and myself offered. We, like you, are passionate about photography and we want the same features and improvements as you. So with that said, I can tell you that your voices have been heard.

then perhaps the "ranting" of more people may have brought about a quicker solution. Now please don't misunderstand me, I'm not promoting complaining just for the sake of complaining. I'm saying that when and where there is reason for it, it shouldn't be stifled.

Robert

Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 4,857
Re: My question exactly - Lusting after SHG lenses.

dave gaines wrote:

MilSooper wrote:

Roger Engelken wrote:

The SHG lenses are indeed beautiful things to lust over, and no spouse to worry about that may wish to set you straight

I have been most impressed by mine, they know far more than I do, to be sure.

The wives or the lenses?

I had the same question when I read Roder's comment. Which does he mean?

I made the mistake of asking my lovely wife. Was he speaking about SHG lenses or who knows far more? She assured me, for all photographers, Roger was referring to wives.

-- hide signature --

Dave
No thought exists without an image. Socrates
http://whaleshark.smugmug.com

When you have to explain your humor, you know it bombed :-D

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-1 +5 more
altair8800 Senior Member • Posts: 1,740
Re: Actually, Olympus has been surprisingly candid:

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

altair8800

I have the E-3 and 7D, so I monitor news about the E-7 and 7DII and also D400. It is interesting that in each forum many say the future is mirrorless and full frame with no room for anything I want. I expect at least one company to prove them wrong.

Dan

Well, Dan, I totally agree.

I've used big Canon cameras for sport for a few years as Olympus was useless for e.g. running.

Mirrorless is worse. I have two Panasonic G1s which I use for bike touring, fine for that, and a Nex-7 system which is also hopeless for anything moving. A great camera otherwise.

I still have my E3 and several lenses here in my holiday house in Spain. I love everything about it except the continuous af. The single af is even better than it for action!

If Olympus could put the sensor from the OMD in the E3 body with really good af they would have a cracking camera.

I bought the E3 because it had higher pixel density than the earlier canon body. I had the same experience as you with continuous af, so went with 7D when it came out.

I have had mirrorless cameras since before DSLR was available and put up with EVF limitations. I still prefer my old S2 and later SX50 for video as you get AF without having to use rear display.

The OMD sensor is better than 7D. In the E3 body with much better af, I will buy it. Unless Canon puts 24Mp in 7DII with similar high ISO first.

Dan

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 36,261

Darrell500 wrote:

Sorry if this has already been posted I hadn't seen it on this forum yet. The link is to a page where Olympus is talking about 5 new companies added to the micro fourthirds consortium but what I almost missed was at the very bottom where they say they are going to continue to develop and enhance both systems.

HERE IS THEIR STATEMENT AND THE LINK

As the company responsible for initiating both the Four Thirds System and Micro Four Thirds System standards, Olympus Imaging Corp. will continue to develop and enhance the product lineup for both standards to meet the diverse needs of our customers.

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2013a/nr130121mfourthirdse.jsp

Alright all you naysayers out there put this in your pipe and smoke it, this is straight from the horses mouth and dated Jan 2013!

-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrel

Before you do your "victory dance" look back all the press releases and all the different messages Olympus has been sending including Mr. Terada himself which talked about "one beautiful system."

the company could have simply changed directions or maybe the micro+ adapter hybrid is still coming. Hard to tell with so many messages.

The good news is the 4/3  lenses aren't left out in the cold (something I mentioned quite a long time back). As for the system itself, if its alive and well let's see the canned 4/3 telephoto macro come out and then we talk:-)

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

alatchin Senior Member • Posts: 1,055

Raist3d wrote:

Darrell500 wrote:

Sorry if this has already been posted I hadn't seen it on this forum yet. The link is to a page where Olympus is talking about 5 new companies added to the micro fourthirds consortium but what I almost missed was at the very bottom where they say they are going to continue to develop and enhance both systems.

HERE IS THEIR STATEMENT AND THE LINK

As the company responsible for initiating both the Four Thirds System and Micro Four Thirds System standards, Olympus Imaging Corp. will continue to develop and enhance the product lineup for both standards to meet the diverse needs of our customers.

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2013a/nr130121mfourthirdse.jsp

Alright all you naysayers out there put this in your pipe and smoke it, this is straight from the horses mouth and dated Jan 2013!

-- hide signature --

Darrel

Before you do your "victory dance" look back all the press releases and all the different messages Olympus has been sending including Mr. Terada himself which talked about "one beautiful system."

As a timeline was never mentioned, and I also believe he himself mentioned it was proving more difficult than expected, I feel they have been far more open than many camera companies would be about product development.

the company could have simply changed directions or maybe the micro+ adapter hybrid is still coming. Hard to tell with so many messages.

Maybe, there are a number of ways it could work, the fact they are using the full upgrade cycle of the E-X to develop a final product isnt a problem, and one clear message above all others is that our lenses will always have a body... but people like to ignore that one for speculation.

The good news is the 4/3 lenses aren't left out in the cold (something I mentioned quite a long time back). As for the system itself, if its alive and well let's see the canned 4/3 telephoto macro come out and then we talk:-)

Well, it would be interesting, as a size relationship may better suit 43rds, but, if they produce a body with an adapter (included in the box) and the 100mm in micro43 the results are the same. As long as I can use my lenses with no compromise on a body, the system is alive an well...

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

Darrell500
OP Darrell500 Senior Member • Posts: 2,125
Re: ...we will simply have to wait an see...

skeys wrote:

CharlesB58 wrote:

My point is that we will simply have to wait an see, ...

Your point is very valid. As for speculative opinions on what may, or may not, be actually delivered, there is whole industry which relies on just that to make future product decisions: the Auto industry with its concept vehicles. It might even be possible that Olympus decision-makers read this forum to assist in their decision-making.

You are right on the money, they do and it does.

Some DPR previews/reviews even state a newly released camera has upgrades based on customer feedback so perhaps the speculation seen here could possible be of some use.

Steve

-- hide signature --

My comments and opinions are my own. I am neither a staff member, nor a paid employee, of DPReview.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-P3 +35 more
Darrell500
Hey Tim here is the salt start eating

-- hide signature --

Darrell

Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-P3 +35 more
Darrell500
I would concur with you on the moderators John.

Good Work DPR and moderators!

-- hide signature --

Darrell

Darrell500

mpeman wrote:

It is not a matter of what is considered trolling, but rather how one discusses an issue. Simply talking about a shortcoming is one thing. Ranting about it at every opportunity is another.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Kevin
--

I couldn't agree more.

I have no problem with people pointing out the shortcomings of a certain sensor, AF issues, or any other problem they are having with their gear. I take issue with those who continuously post the "system is dead" without any factual proof to back it up. Do you know how many times I've seen this exact post?

-- hide signature --

Darrell

hurtsme
hurtsme Senior Member • Posts: 1,944

...and yet here we are.  Weighing the merits of how the verbosity of the complaints rather than the discussions contained therein.  That alone should point to the problem.  To state that these complaints are common fodder says more about the complaints, perhaps, than the camera and system being discussed.  It sure is easier to dissect and ruminate than to be clever and perhaps even helpful.  And that sage bit of wisdom WAS given to me by someone at the company who dared listen to OGPS members.  At least they know how to whittle down the chafe.

All that said...it sure does make for one sour forum, when it probably doesn't deserve to be one.  If you want to see evidence of that just look over at the Kodak SLR forum.  Now that's dead.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Kevin
--

hurtsme's gear list:hurtsme's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Adobe Photoshop CS6 +3 more
sderdiarian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,227
Re: Terada: 4/3's body (bodies?) in the pipline for 2013

Just saw the interview with Terada stating Olympus will be introducing 4/3's along with mft products this year and acknowledging what many of us have already been making noise about for 2 1/2 years, that they need new 4/3's bodies to continue selling their HG and SHG lenses.

Praise be, finally a clear statement of commitment to new 4/3's bodies for this year!

First saw this on my morning cup-of-coffee sojourn to 43Rumors, which lead me right back to here on DPR's homepage.  Congrats on this scoop, DPR!

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7898773566/cp-2013-interview-with-olympus-toshi-terada

Enjoy!

I'm also posting this as a stand-alone, I feel it's pretty significant and not to be missed for the 4/3's faithful.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +1 more

mpeman wrote:

...and yet here we are. Weighing the merits of how the verbosity of the complaints rather than the discussions contained therein.

I can only speak for myself. What I am weighing is the gravity of the situation that is merely characterized by the sheer numbers of complaints and the resultant actions of those complaining. More plainly, there are a lot of people who are unsatisfied with the direction or the uncertainty of direction of Olympus Four Thirds Products. It's not just one or two party poopers, but many of the previously staunchest Olympus supporters. Furthermore, they are not just complaining, they are selling off their gear and going elsewhere.

That alone should point to the problem. To state that these complaints are common fodder says more about the complaints, perhaps, than the camera and system being discussed.

In my opinion that's kind of like saying that a building fire is not the problem, it's the people running around yelling fire. When you have a sizable number people that WERE happy to spend their money at Olympus (I'm talking those who owned multiple SHG lenses) who are now happier spending their money at Nikon or elsewhere, or have felt forced to make the compromises necessary to embrace the OMD, I tend to think that it indeed says more about the camera and system being discussed. The complaints are merely the symptom, not the problem.

It sure is easier to dissect and ruminate than to be clever and perhaps even helpful. And that sage bit of wisdom WAS given to me by someone at the company who dared listen to OGPS members. At least they know how to whittle down the chafe.

At this stage in the game, it's not me that needs to be clever and helpful, but rather Olympus. If their whittling down to the chafe amounts to saying that it's the buyer's fault rather than their (lack of) product, they probably need to get out of the camera business and become career politicians.

All that said...it sure does make for one sour forum, when it probably doesn't deserve to be one. If you want to see evidence of that just look over at the Kodak SLR forum. Now that's dead.

It need not make for a sour forum, just some sour threads, balanced out by some sweet ones like the the weekly photo challenges etc. That is supposed to be the beauty of the way this place is laid out. If you are totally satisfied with your gear, you start or participate in the threads that reflect your interests. And if it were to make for a sour forum, that would indicate to me that something outside of the forum needs to change, or the forum's stated purpose should change. If an Olympus fan club were started instead, I would definitely agree that perhaps the conversation and discussion should dwell solely on the pleasantries of owning Olympus gear.

Hopefully I haven't been disrespectful or have said anything that will be cause for removing this post, as that has not been my intent. But one thing that I've hoped the moderators would do is to facilitate the airing of more than one point of view on a given topic, giving individuals the benefit of seeing both sides of a debate, allowing them making up their own minds based on the merits of the arguments presented, and intervening mainly when the line is crossed between discussing the subject and attacking a person for his views.

Robert

Big Ga Forum Pro • Posts: 18,603

MilSooper wrote:

Digital Single Lens Reflex Camera.

No matter how thin you slice that that is exactly what the E-10 and E-20 were.

Since you people seem incapable of relevant quoting and comprehension, let me re-insert the text that Roel made and led to my E10/20 comment:

"because ALL interchangeable lens cameras that Olympus produces carry the "E". "

The last time I checked, my E10 had "E" at the start, and the lens is fixed, not interchangeable.

Stacey_K
Stacey_K Veteran Member • Posts: 8,368
Price point is the key to sucess

kuaimen wrote:

$1500 or below for an E-7 is something acceptable. Olympus, wise up! Do not price people into the 35mm FF world.

That is the key. I "added" nikon gear as I gave up waiting on olympus this fall and lusted for something that was more than just incrementally better than the olympus bodies I already own. As the prices of FF gear drops, I personally -would- buy a E7 (E70?) body but I'm not going to pay $1800 for it when a D600 is $2000. I believe they would be smart to price the body attractively and hope to make their profits off the lenses people will buy to use on it.If the only thing they release is close to $2000, I'll likely get out of 4/3 and buy a D600 later this year  instead.

I can say after using a D7000 for a few months, I miss my HG lenses but I like a modern sensor more. I am glad I added nikon gear to my shelf of gear, mainly for a couple of their really good primes (85mm F1.8G and 180mm F2.8D) and the 70-300 Tamron is also an outstanding lens, especially considering the price. That said, if a E-x or E-xx body was available with a modern sensor, olympus would go back to being my main camera system.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7 +16 more
skeys Veteran Member • Posts: 3,191
HEY... There's too much salt here

I recommend a healthier, tastier alternative: Kirkland Signature Organic No-Salt Seasoning, Costco Item No. 165041. Disclaimer: I am neither a paid employee, nor a shareholder, of Costco.

As for a new Oly E camera, I won't believe it until I see a preview, with photo, of a pre-production model.

Steve

-- hide signature --

My comments and opinions are my own. I am neither a staff member, nor a paid employee, of DPReview.

Darrell500 wrote:

mpeman wrote:

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Kevin
--

I couldn't agree more.

I have no problem with people pointing out the shortcomings of a certain sensor, AF issues, or any other problem they are having with their gear. I take issue with those who continuously post the "system is dead" without any factual proof to back it up. Do you know how many times I've seen this exact post?

With all due respect, to some of those people the system may indeed appear to be dead, and at least in their minds there is factual proof, or at least credible evidence to suggest that the system is indeed dead.

For instance, for those who entered Olympus ownership through the purchase of an affordable, entry-level body like the 410/20, 510/20, 610/20, and are looking for a direct replacement or upgrade, the system may indeed appear dead. They go to their friendly Olympus website and see that their present model has been discontinued. Their only Olympus alternative right now involves replacing both their body and lenses with something so different that it has been banished to it's own forum and been practically forbidden to be discussed in this one. To such a person, their system is, in effect, dead.

Somehow it seems that there should be equal tolerance for those who feel thusly as for those who constantly tout the virtues of Four Thirds.

As for myself, I can empathize with those who feel that way and at the same time enjoy my own gear and this forum. There's always two sides to every story and often one is just as important as the other.

For the record, I'm not a troll, nor am I one who is not familiar with both the delights and despairs of our system. Some people seem to think that I don't use my equipment. On the contrary I use it enough that I'm deathly afraid of checking the shutter count. Quite often, after I shoot and post-process in Lightroom, I export an extra copy of the results, resized to 800x600 to a folder store it on my phone. Doing so allows me to have examples of my work handy for my own review and critique and also allows me to easily mms or email photos to those who are interested in buying prints. Currently there are over 60,000 photos and stored on my nearly full 32 gig SD card, dating back to the late 90's,(1 and 2 megapixel Kodak digital cameras, Fuji superzoom, Olympus C740) 4 and as recent as a graduation I shot last Saturday. (to Android users, I would heartily recommend the free program, QuickPic, over the system's own Gallery program)

Robert

Rriley
Rriley Forum Pro • Posts: 21,846

By R Butler | Published Feb 2, 2013

The long wait for the next generation of cameras for Four Thirds may soon be over, suggests Olympus' Toshi Terada, Manager, Product Planning SLR products. He also discusses the role the OM-D has played in increasing uptake of mirrorless cameras in the USA and the future of compact cameras now that smartphones have become many users' cameras of choice.

CP+ 2013: Interview with Olympus' Toshi Terada
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7898773566/cp-2013-interview-with-olympus-toshi-terada

The future of Four Thirds

Building on the promise Olympus has made about continuing to support Four Thirds users, Terada suggests the wait may nearly be over: 'Direction-wise, we'd like to produce products for Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds within this year. Because we have to provide a product for users with SHG and HG lenses. And there are people using E400, 500 and 600-series DSLRs, we have to provide products for them to keep enjoying their photography.'

'For those users AF speed is important and a suitable finder is necessary. And also it needs to be the right size - the benefit of Micro Four Thirds and Four Thirds is compact size. We have to provide those things to benefit those users. One of the benefits of DSLR is continuous autofocus. In this respect, we have to promise total AF performance in future.'

They can be confident about image quality, he says: ''They already know image quality from the OM-D. Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds sensors are the same size, so they can imagine that.'

eof

reading around this thread, somehow it doesnt seem to be mentioned

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
illy
illy Forum Pro • Posts: 12,160

Rriley wrote:

By R Butler | Published Feb 2, 2013

The long wait for the next generation of cameras for Four Thirds may soon be over, suggests Olympus' Toshi Terada, Manager, Product Planning SLR products. He also discusses the role the OM-D has played in increasing uptake of mirrorless cameras in the USA and the future of compact cameras now that smartphones have become many users' cameras of choice.

CP+ 2013: Interview with Olympus' Toshi Terada

The future of Four Thirds

Building on the promise Olympus has made about continuing to support Four Thirds users, Terada suggests the wait may nearly be over: 'Direction-wise, we'd like to produce products for Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds within this year. Because we have to provide a product for users with SHG and HG lenses. And there are people using E400, 500 and 600-series DSLRs, we have to provide products for them to keep enjoying their photography.'

'For those users AF speed is important and a suitable finder is necessary. And also it needs to be the right size - the benefit of Micro Four Thirds and Four Thirds is compact size. We have to provide those things to benefit those users. One of the benefits of DSLR is continuous autofocus. In this respect, we have to promise total AF performance in future.'

They can be confident about image quality, he says: ''They already know image quality from the OM-D. Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds sensors are the same size, so they can imagine that.'

eof

reading around this thread, somehow it doesnt seem to be mentioned

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

it's not really saying much though, "we'd like to produce products for Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds within this year" to myself seems vague, i'd like a helicopter but i don't think i'm going to get one

-- hide signature --

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D5100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 500mm F4.5 EX DG HSM +4 more
alatchin Senior Member • Posts: 1,055
Re: Price point is the key to sucess

Stacey_K wrote:

kuaimen wrote:

$1500 or below for an E-7 is something acceptable. Olympus, wise up! Do not price people into the 35mm FF world.

That is the key. I "added" nikon gear as I gave up waiting on olympus this fall and lusted for something that was more than just incrementally better than the olympus bodies I already own. As the prices of FF gear drops, I personally -would- buy a E7 (E70?) body but I'm not going to pay $1800 for it when a D600 is $2000. I believe they would be smart to price the body attractively and hope to make their profits off the lenses people will buy to use on it.If the only thing they release is close to $2000, I'll likely get out of 4/3 and buy a D600 later this year instead.

Would you agree that it could justify the price on additional functionality / features? Admittedly the E-7 as an E-5 with OMD sensor may be hard to swallow for $1700, but if they can make it a new camera, $1700 would be a fair price for the quality one would be getting.

I can say after using a D7000 for a few months, I miss my HG lenses but I like a modern sensor more. I am glad I added nikon gear to my shelf of gear, mainly for a couple of their really good primes (85mm F1.8G and 180mm F2.8D) and the 70-300 Tamron is also an outstanding lens, especially considering the price. That said, if a E-x or E-xx body was available with a modern sensor, olympus would go back to being my main camera system.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

Silverback46
Silverback46 Senior Member • Posts: 1,188

...good point but then you are not involved in building the helicopter. I am guessing he might be involved in building the camera. But maybe not

Silverback46's gear list:Silverback46's gear list
Sony a77 II Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads