What lens would you choose?

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions
vwxyz Forum Member • Posts: 90
What lens would you choose?

I know these 2 lenses are completely different, and people have completely different styles of shooting, but i am traveling australia and want 2 more lenses (and also the fisheye convertor).

However, i don't want to spend all that money and have 3 lenses to carry around. So i currently have the NEX F3 with the SEL1855. I originally wanted the SEL55210  which i can get for 299AUD, but after browsing this forum and the alpha lab website for lenses, i came across the 16f28 and also the fisheye convertor which attaches to it.

I stumbled across the the 16f28 by looking for a fisheye lens for the 1855, but noticed that it only works with the 16mm. I would love to be able to take some wide angle pictures and also use the fisheye to get creative but i also want the SEL55210.

I am a novice and the NEX is my first proper camera and i am still learning about photography so any help and advice would be appreciated. Like i said before, i know everyone will have a different opinion but i was just curious to what professionals would do? For me the 18mm would be wide enough for landscape shots, and i think that i would probably use a zoom more than a 16mm but i would love to be able to use the fisheye. For me, my photography in australia will be for my personal benifit and want to have fun taking pictures and editing them after.

The bottom line is i am only here once so i am not ruling out buying both, but i really can not afford just yet.

Thankyou

aap292 Regular Member • Posts: 146
Re: What lens would you choose?

Unless you also get the Ultra Wide Adapter for the 16mm, I don't think you'll find much difference in shots you can take with a 16mm compared to the 18mm from the kit lens.

I would probably try to get the zoom and get the 16mm/fish eye lens used so you could save a little money.

I'm having the same problem... either to get an 10-18 or 24 Zeiss... Two different lens but at a similar price. Do I get the unique lens (Ultra Wide Angle) or get the lens that I would probably use a lot in more situations.

kwtse Regular Member • Posts: 376

vwxyz wrote:

i am traveling australia and want 2 more lenses (and also the fisheye convertor).

SEL1018

SEL18200

OP vwxyz Forum Member • Posts: 90

aap292 wrote:

Unless you also get the Ultra Wide Adapter for the 16mm, I don't think you'll find much difference in shots you can take with a 16mm compared to the 18mm from the kit lens.

I would probably try to get the zoom and get the 16mm/fish eye lens used so you could save a little money.

I'm having the same problem... either to get an 10-18 or 24 Zeiss... Two different lens but at a similar price. Do I get the unique lens (Ultra Wide Angle) or get the lens that I would probably use a lot in more situations.

Hmmmm, the only reason i would be getting the 16mm is so i can use the fisheye convertor. And it seems like a lot of effort and money just for the fisheye effect. The fisheye convertor doesn't work on the 1855 i don' think. I think i have seen pictures where the whole edge of the photos are black. I don't understand why it's just for the 16f28!!!! It suppose it makes more sense to get the lens that would be used the most in our situation, but that doesn't solve the fact that i want the other! ha

sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,242

vwxyz wrote:

aap292 wrote:

Hmmmm, the only reason i would be getting the 16mm is so i can use the fisheye convertor. And it seems like a lot of effort and money just for the fisheye effect. The fisheye convertor doesn't work on the 1855 i don' think. I think i have seen pictures where the whole edge of the photos are black. I don't understand why it's just for the 16f28!!!! It suppose it makes more sense to get the lens that would be used the most in our situation, but that doesn't solve the fact that i want the other! ha

The Rokinon Fisheye 8/2.8 is going on sale all the time. I think it's the sharpest lens in an Emount, but it's not autofocus. But for a fisheye lens, AF is overrated. If you were just wanting fisheye from the 16 then you might check out the Rokinon and at least get a very sharp lens for your fisheye.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more

The Rokinon Fishey 8/2.8 is going on sale all the time. I think it's the sharpest lens in an Emount, but it's not autofocus. But for a fisheye lens, AF is overrated. If you were just wanting fisheye from the 16 then you might check out the Rokinon and at least get a very sharp lens for your fisheye.

I know it's a bit silly wanting the 16mm for the fisheye, but at least i would be getting a good lens for the sights i'll be seeing. I don't know the prices of either as here in Melbourne they seem to be extortionate compared the rest of the bloody world. I agree, although its manual, i think anything goes with the fisheye!

kwtse Regular Member • Posts: 376

vwxyz wrote: the only reason i would be getting the 16mm is so i can use the fisheye convertor.

The fisheye converter gives you a 15mm (35mm equivalent). SEL1018 gives you 15mm-27mm (35mm equivalent).

(SEL1018 + SEL18200) give you a range covering from 15mm to 300mm (35mm equivalent). This combination is very good for traveling: light and yet a wide range of coverage.

http://verybiglobo.blogspot.hk/2012/12/sony-sel-1018-f4-oss-vs-sel-16-f28.html

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/sony_super_wa_zoom_e_mount_for_nex.shtml

(SEL16 + Fisheye Converter) give you a curvilinear fisheye perspective, more profound than the SEL1018. But this can be achieved easily with post-processing.

jadem
jadem New Member • Posts: 15

Since you are new to photography, you better stick to your kit lens and as you grow, go for the wide primes. If you want to really have fun , try the legacy primes, it's cheap ang gives you an IQ better than your kit lens.

jadem's gear list:jadem's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more

kwtse wrote:

vwxyz wrote: the only reason i would be getting the 16mm is so i can use the fisheye convertor.

The fisheye converter gives you a 15mm (35mm equivalent). SEL1018 gives you 15mm-27mm (35mm equivalent).

(SEL1018 + SEL18200) give you a range covering from 15mm to 300mm (35mm equivalent). This combination is very good for traveling: light and yet a wide range of coverage.

http://verybiglobo.blogspot.hk/2012/12/sony-sel-1018-f4-oss-vs-sel-16-f28.html

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/sony_super_wa_zoom_e_mount_for_nex.shtml

(SEL16 + Fisheye Converter) give you a curvilinear fisheye perspective, more profound than the SEL1018. But this can be achieved easily with post-processing.

Thanks for your replies and i appreciate the time you have taken to reply, but the cost of them 2 lenses is extortionate in comparison to what i have seen. You are right in the fact it would make sense to just have the 2 lenses but at that price i can no afford whilst traveling.

martindesu
martindesu Senior Member • Posts: 1,245

They're excellent lenses, and though the price is high, they're not really "extortionate", though I know what you mean

I'd recommend the 16mm and either UWA or Fisheye adaptor. The adaptors will mount onto other lenses, such as your kit zoom, but they are for extreme wide angle shots - hence their optics being made for a wide angle lens.

The UWA works on the macro lens, without any vignetting. There's little point is using it in the configuration, though.

martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
nrcole Regular Member • Posts: 411

I think the zoom will open up more options for you creatively than the fisheye, but at the same time both are very particular kinds of photography and it's tough to know which one you'll have more of a taste for. Fisheye is very particular and you definitely won't use it as much. Consider the other benefits as well though, like the small size of your camera with the 16mm on it, and the ability to also get the UW adapter to play with.
Also maybe take a look through some examples of telephotography and fisheye shots. Maybe there's one you're significantly more drawn to creating than the other!

Edit: FWIW, I don't use the 55-210 nearly as much as I thought I would, which is why I recommend thinking really hard about what kinds of shots you want to take.

nrcole wrote:

I think the zoom will open up more options for you creatively than the fisheye, but at the same time both are very particular kinds of photography and it's tough to know which one you'll have more of a taste for. Fisheye is very particular and you definitely won't use it as much. Consider the other benefits as well though, like the small size of your camera with the 16mm on it, and the ability to also get the UW adapter to play with.
Also maybe take a look through some examples of telephotography and fisheye shots. Maybe there's one you're significantly more drawn to creating than the other!

Edit: FWIW, I don't use the 55-210 nearly as much as I thought I would, which is why I recommend thinking really hard about what kinds of shots you want to take.

Thanks for the advice, before i stumbled on the 16f28 i was certain i was going to buy the SEL55210 for the simple fact that it was a zoom. I'm not ruling out buying one or the other, but i think i might be fooling myself by saying i would use the 16mm more because of the landscapes i will be seeing, on the other hand, there will be lots of things i just won't be able to come close to such as wildlife, and there is a lot of that in Aus. I really don't know what to do. It's a shame really because buying these in England wouldn't be an issue because it's cheaper over there. I will be working over here so i'll earn money, i think i may regret not buying them because if i don't buy them now and buy them back in England, i would have wasted countless amount of photo opportunities. Again, thanks for the advice and i will look on flickr and search each.

Bruce Bowman Contributing Member • Posts: 572

If you absolutely positively have to have ultra-wide, I have to agree with the recommendation for the 10-18mm + 18-200mm SEL lenses. Personally I think the 18-200mm by itself is sufficient if you want a minimal travel-oriented system (no experience with the 18-200mm LE, but that ought to work). If you can't resist carrying more than one lens, an 18-200mm + the 16/2.8 + a UWA or fisheye adapter ought to work well.

Your idea of carrying your 18-55mm plus a new/used 55-210mm is probably your least expensive approach, but will require more lens changes.

Btw, urban legend suggests the 16/2.8 + UWA provides a flatter image plane than the base 16/2.8 by itself.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
NEX-5n (gone), NEX-7

Bruce Bowman's gear list:Bruce Bowman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +14 more
EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977

vwxyz wrote:

The Rokinon Fishey 8/2.8 is going on sale all the time. I think it's the sharpest lens in an Emount, but it's not autofocus. But for a fisheye lens, AF is overrated. If you were just wanting fisheye from the 16 then you might check out the Rokinon and at least get a very sharp lens for your fisheye.

I know it's a bit silly wanting the 16mm for the fisheye, but at least i would be getting a good lens for the sights i'll be seeing. I don't know the prices of either as here in Melbourne they seem to be extortionate compared the rest of the bloody world. I agree, although its manual, i think anything goes with the fisheye!

I have the Rokinon... set f/5.6 and forget.

You do need to watch for a magenta cast though (as seen out of my NEX-3), but easily correctable in PP. However, I've noticed it showing up mostly when shooting into the sun.

Another advantage is that the image is highly correctable for rectilinear effect (I use Fisheye Hemi plug-in).

-- hide signature --

Sony A55, Sony NEX-3, Sony F828

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more

Well i've just been into a shop and the 16f28 is 298AUD and the fisheye is 198AUD, together they will sell it to me for 425AUD.

I can aslo get the SEL55210 for 299AUD. No sure if them prices are good but i need to make a decision. Thanks to all those that have helped me so far. It has become clearer but i still don't know which to go for!

flint-hill Senior Member • Posts: 1,215

... on the other hand, there will be lots of things i just won't be able to come close to such as wildlife, and there is a lot of that in Aus. I really don't know what to do. It's a shame really because buying these in England wouldn't be an issue because it's cheaper over there. I will be working over here so i'll earn money, i think i may regret not buying them because if i don't buy them now and buy them back in England, i would have wasted countless amount of photo opportunities. Again, thanks for the advice and i will look on flickr and search each.

If wildlife is going to be even a modest consideration, then by all means get the 55-210.   Even zoo photography wants a longer lens than 55mm.

At 30 meters distance, sheep-sized animals look like BB's rolling around in a boxcar if the longest lens you have is 55mm.  Even 210mm feels pretty short when you're shooting wildlife.

I've got a bunch of wide-angle lenses, and I use them a lot -- more than I use the 55-210, some weeks -- but in the fiscally constrained circumstances you are describing, it would be essential to have a telephoto if you want to bring back photographs of animals.

If you stop the 18-55mm lens down to f/5.6 or f/8, and shoot it at around 20mm -- just 2mm longer than its minimal focal length -- it's a pretty good grab-and-go landscape lens.

EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977

vwxyz wrote:

Well i've just been into a shop and the 16f28 is 298AUD and the fisheye is 198AUD, together they will sell it to me for 425AUD.

I can aslo get the SEL55210 for 299AUD. No sure if them prices are good but i need to make a decision. Thanks to all those that have helped me so far. It has become clearer but i still don't know which to go for!

If I were to make the choice, I would go 55-210 for now. It gives you more to explore in photography. Add a UW/Fisheye and faster primes as budget permits and/or deals are found.

For UW, you could try vertical sweep to see if works for you (I'd set Top to Bottom sweep, and turn the camera 90-degrees for sweep pano). That can be your UW for now. Here is one taken with A55 and Sigma 18-250 at 20mm in that mode.

-- hide signature --

Sony A55, Sony NEX-3, Sony F828

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

vwxyz wrote:

If I were to make the choice, I would go 55-210 for now. It gives you more to explore in photography. Add a UW/Fisheye and faster primes as budget permits and/or deals are found.

For UW, you could try vertical sweep to see if works for you (I'd set Top to Bottom sweep, and turn the camera 90-degrees for sweep pano). That can be your UW for now. Here is one taken with A55 and Sigma 18-250 at 20mm in that mode.

Thanks! Great idea. Thanks for the reply. 
I think i have come to a decision, i am definitely going to get the SEL55210 as like people have pointed out and also Flint Hill. I know that if i didn't get the lens there would come i time where i needed to zoom. Whereas with the fisheye, it maybe a novelty, i have never used one and the reason i was interested is my friend has taken some amazing pictures with one. For him it was just a cheap one that attached to his DLSR, whereas i would need to buy the 16f28 lens.

Thats one decision made, thanks for everyone who replied. All i need to do now is to decide whether or not to just take a risk for once and get the 16mm and fisheye...........! However, i will have to buy it today or tomorrow!

sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,242

You really should figure out what kinds of shots you want to shoot before spending money. I only say this because a little over a year ago, I was making similar decisions. I bought the SEL55-210. I owned it for 3 months or so before I realized that I had only used it twice. So I sold it. I've since bought another because I was going on a whale watching expedition, but the lens sits around most of the time. Other people use their 55-210 much more frequently. But I have no use for it unless it would work inside and it is too slow for the indoor sports and school activities that my kids participate in. Ah well.

That being said, it's a pretty good zoom lens for the price, particularly with OSS.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more

Hmm seems like a bit of a con to me that they only make the fisheye for a specific lens. Knowing that the majority of people who want to use the fisheye will not have the 16f28!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads