Canon 60D Battery Grip

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Questions
Shane Burton
Shane Burton Forum Member • Posts: 77
Canon 60D Battery Grip

Does anyone have a battery grip for thier 60D, how you like or dislike it.

Unless I'm on vacation, I don't need one, but I thought it might balance out the camera a little more.

Thanks

ANSWER:
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
skanter
skanter Forum Pro • Posts: 15,045
Re: Canon 60D Battery Grip

Shane Burton wrote:

Unless I'm on vacation, I don't need one, but I thought it might balance out the camera a little more.

Thanks

Why make the camera much heavier and bulkier?

Get a Hakuba Hand Grip (or similar). Far better idea.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=194968&Q=&is=REG&A=details

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Shane Burton
OP Shane Burton Forum Member • Posts: 77

Thanks I'll go check it out.

MikeinNF Regular Member • Posts: 112

Shane Burton wrote:

Thanks

I'm not sure about balancing the camera; the point of a battery grip is to give you extra battery power (it houses 2 batteries, so you get twice as many shots) as well as the option of using AA batteries if the other 2 fail. You also get extra controls that are very handy for when you are using the camera turned sideways instead of horizontal. I have one that I got for about $50 on Ebay, and it works fine. It came with 2 spare batteries too. Great for all-day shooting on a tripod when you want to be sure of not running out of juice.

Biggus
Biggus Forum Member • Posts: 90

I have a Mieke battery grip (find it on Amazon), which cost about £35. It makes the camera feel more balanced, makes for much easier holding in portrait, and of course pretty much doubles battery life (with 2x batteries in of course).
I also only use a handgrip (as suggested above) with it.

The battery grip is well worth having, once you use it, you won't take it off.

Biggus's gear list:Biggus's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-FH100 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +3 more
anand53
anand53 Contributing Member • Posts: 622

Battery grip is an accessory worth the cost. I have been using one on all my cameras (nine till date since 1999). I use a hand grip in combination with battery grip. Good for long lenses, extra power and comfortable to shoot in portrait/vertical orientation.

-- hide signature --

Save the tiger.

anand53's gear list:anand53's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +4 more
asad137 Contributing Member • Posts: 693

Repost from another thread:

Some people that shoot a lot in portrait orientation, so having the extra controls is useful so you can hold it in a more natural position for extended periods. It's not an advantage if you need to switch back and forth, obviously, since it's much quicker just to turn the camera than to turn the camera plus reposition your hand to the vertical grip.

Some people want the extra battery life, plus the ability to use AA's in the other tray in a pinch.

I personally mostly just like that it physically makes the grip on my 60D taller. I have pretty normal-sized (male) hands and having the grip means my pinky has someplace to land. And I find that the grip makes the camera easier to hold with long lenses, because the heel of my hand acts as leverage against the weight of the lens.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
anand53

asad137 wrote:

I find that the grip makes the camera easier to hold with long lenses, because the heel of my hand acts as leverage against the weight of the lens.

Very well explained.

-- hide signature --

Save the tiger.

Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +4 more
skanter
skanter Forum Pro • Posts: 15,045

If you feel you want one, they are relatively cheap if you buy a third-party grip. Perhaps if you have really large hands and use very big, long lenses, or shoot vertically on a tripod very often, it might be useful.

I tried one, ended up with a heavier, bulkier camera that was more difficult to hold. The Hakuba Hand Grip added no extra bulk or weight, and made the camera easy for me to hold all day and shoot even with long lenses.

I never understood the need to double up on batteries in a grip. One battery lasts pretty much all day, and it takes about ten seconds to switch one out.  I guess AA batteries might be a good idea if you are  situated in a place with no electricity to charge your batteries.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
anand53

I may mention my personal experience as to how a battery grip helped.

I visit the tiger reserves so often. On one of my trips to a tiger reserve the only Canon charger failed and all that I could get in that small village was any number of AA batteries.  I used them both on my 6D and 7D. Now I carry rechargeable AA batteries and I have three chargers to charge four of my LP E6. 

-- hide signature --

Save the tiger.

KentG Veteran Member • Posts: 4,466

What it does well is balance out a heavy telephoto lens. Although what constitutes a "heavy" telephoto lens is mostly a personal thing. I know people who think a 24-70/2.8 is heavy and others who think a 300/2.8 is medium. I use a Meike VG on my 60D because that is what it came with used when I bought it. It is the first non-Canon VG I have ever used and I must say it has worked perfectly so far. All of my camera bodies have VGs on them, both systems. In fact if a new body does not have a VG available I don't buy it.

Kent Gittings

KentG's gear list:KentG's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Pentax FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads