A few newbie questions

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Questions
mikhs1 Forum Member • Posts: 76
A few newbie questions

Hi, I am relatively inexperienced with digital photography and new to Nikon.

I've been using Olympus for over 30m years, but... I got a Nikon D7000/18-105 kit as a Christmas present, so I have switched.

So far I have added a Nikkor 70-300mm (I'm sure going to miss my fast 2.8 Oly lenses but can't afford high end glass now and I don't shoot as much as I used too).

I am planning to add a used sb-800 or sb-700 flash and a sc-28 or sc-29 cord.

question 1 - will I benefit at all by sc-29 over sc-28 since d7000 body has its own AF assist light?

question 2 - If I do use sc-29 or sb-700 mounted directly on camera, which AF assist light will be activated camera's or sc-29/sb-700 (or both simultaneously)?

#3 - If and when I do decide to upgrade to better lenses... I would love the 17-55/2.8 but that’s way out of my budget.  Would the 24-85/2.8 work OK on a DX body – Nikon site says that it’s FX/35mm format? What would be its limitations on DX camera?

#4 –atalmost double the price,how much better really is 16-85 than 18-105? Comparing them on Nikon website I can see no difference in specs other than size and weight.

That’s it for now ... many more to follow I am sure

Thanks in advance for your input a and advice.

mikhs1's gear list:mikhs1's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
herbymel Veteran Member • Posts: 6,153
Re: A few newbie questions

Congratulations on your gift, certainly a nice one. I would keep the 18-105. I don't think you'd see that much of an improvement on the 16-85 that it would be worth the extra investment. You'd be better off putting the money elsewhere, for a kit lens the 18-105 is a pretty nice lens.

Most people when using off camera flash use the built in CLS system and have the built in flash fire the off camera flash, but I believe the sc-29 af assist light will still activate even on camera. Others might want to chime in on that because I haven't used that particular combination.

There is no real limitation on the 24-85 on a DX body other than it'll give a more cropped DX view...somewhere around 36-127. Many people like to buy FX lenses in general in case they do make a switch in that direction eventually.

Others will probably have a little better take on this.

herbymel's gear list:herbymel's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4D ED-IF II +6 more
OP mikhs1 Forum Member • Posts: 76

Thank you for your input.

After I posted my questions I actually started wandering if having faster lenses is as important with digital cameras as it was (to me anyway) with film cameras.  You can increase the ISO at will (unlike whith film) and being somewhat new to digital photography I don't know if digital higher ISO will affect the image quality as much as the larger grain size of high ISO film.  I have seen some pretty great shot on line taken at high ISO.

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR
Novens2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,664

Hi congrats on your new camera you can pick up a nikon 50 1.8 cheap or a sigma or tamron 2.8 zoom for a reasonable price. The sigma 17-50 2.8 is image stabilized and has super reviews check dxo marks review for one.

all the best

Steve 316 Forum Member • Posts: 93

Although I use and love the 16-85, the question is whether you want a little more at the wide end or considerably more at the long end with the 18-105.  IQ with these lenses is about the same, although build quality goes to the 16-85.  I take a lot of wide angle outdoor shots and have never regretted the 16mm, but for you, it depends on how you will be using the lens.  Plus, the 16-85 is among those Nikon lenses that have always seemed a bit overpriced to me.

A professional photographer who shops at the same camera store in Hollywood that I do said he sometimes uses the 18-105 for social events, receptions, etc.  It's not a pro lens but he finds the range very useful and likes the handling and the results.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,071

I assume you are referring to the 24-85mm f:2.8-4 D lens. I use this lens alot on my D7000, but it is f/4 at 85mm. I think (from comparing my photos) that my 18-70 AF-S f/3.5-4.5 is slightly better (when pixel peeping) in image quality at same focal lengths and aperture, but the 18-70 lacks the convenient macro ability of the 24-85. You can still buy the AF 24-85mm f/2.8-4 D new, so it is a current lens.

-- hide signature --
OP mikhs1 Forum Member • Posts: 76

Steve 316 wrote:

Although I use and love the 16-85, the question is whether you want a little more at the wide end or considerably more at the long end with the 18-105. IQ with these lenses is about the same, although build quality goes to the 16-85. I take a lot of wide angle outdoor shots and have never regretted the 16mm, but for you, it depends on how you will be using the lens. Plus, the 16-85 is among those Nikon lenses that have always seemed a bit overpriced to me.

A professional photographer who shops at the same camera store in Hollywood that I do said he sometimes uses the 18-105 for social events, receptions, etc. It's not a pro lens but he finds the range very useful and likes the handling and the results.

Thank you.

I wasn't really considering 16-85 (I am more interested in upgrading to faster lenses)... I was just wandering why such big price difference while most things seem equal, but the build quality may explain it as well as the demand for wider zoom.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads