How to achieve this texture/grain effect???

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions
Mark A. Small
Mark A. Small Contributing Member • Posts: 611
How to achieve this texture/grain effect???

Can anyone help guide me in the grain textures techniques necessary to achieve what Vernon Trenton achieved in this image:

Image by Vernon Trenton

Thanks.

Mark

-- hide signature --

its all about creating a place you can be yourself, and in an instant, allowing me to capture you as art...
www.markandrewimages.com

Mark A. Small
OP Mark A. Small Contributing Member • Posts: 611
Re: How to achieve this texture/grain effect???

I'm using both Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS6 if that helps with providing any guidance.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

its all about creating a place you can be yourself, and in an instant, allowing me to capture you as art...
www.markandrewimages.com

mikes
mikes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,423

What software do you use?. Many film emulation programs will do this too, but all it really is, is just adding a lot of noise with a vignette.

-- hide signature --

Only when you can criticize yourself, should you criticize others. Mikes.

exdeejjjaaaa
exdeejjjaaaa Veteran Member • Posts: 8,263

Mark A. Small wrote:

Can anyone help guide me in the grain textures techniques necessary to achieve what Vernon Trenton achieved in this image:

Image by Vernon Trenton

Thanks.

Mark

he probably just used SilverEfex

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Phase One Capture One Pro +25 more
Babine Veteran Member • Posts: 7,126

Grain and tone as stated, with Silver Efex, NIK, Topaz, just to name a few or something like this tutorial

http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photoshop-tutorials/photo-effects/natural-film-grain/

and additional curves adjustments for colour and contrast to suit.

-- hide signature --

Cheers.
Gary
http://forums.dpreview.com/Galleries/8298604696/photos
http://www.pbase.com/pictek
From a patient during his colonoscopy, 'Hey Doc. Could you write a note for my wife saying that my head is not up there?'

Mark A. Small

Won't all those programs just add grain?

What about the "brushed" effect - i.e. around her skirt and on the right side of the image in the middle?

Thanks.

Mark

-- hide signature --

www.markandrewimages.com

Allen Gerdes Veteran Member • Posts: 5,635

Sure it will, and it appears that a strong grain effect was added in this image.  The "brushed effect" as you call it appears to be a textured overlay layer, with some areas masked out and the layer opacity adjust to taste (of course, the swirl marks could have been made with a special brush on a separate layer and blended in).  It is difficult to replicate the effect without having a better idea of the texture used.  I will try to work up an image with a similar effect and post it later to give you a better idea.

Regards...Allen

Mark A. Small

Katrin Eismann taught me the gray overlay grain technique years ago.  That definitely could contribute to this effect.  But the texture(s) need to be created and blended in.  Does anyone have any insights as to how to go about that?

thanks

-- hide signature --

www.markandrewimages.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads