Some D600 + 24-70 f2.8 pictures. Is that IQ expected?

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions
paulski66
paulski66 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,275
Re: the upgrade path

John Motts wrote:

Why would you learn quicker by buying a cheap camera than you would an expensive camera? It's up to the individual what gear they buy.

Sure if they buy the most expensive expecting it to be the answer to everything, then they'll probably be disappointed, but that's up to them, not us.

I don't think expense has a lot to do with it, but...

The d600 is a pretty complex camera. Perhaps not the best place to start; clearly, he doesn't have mastery of all of the controls/settings yet. But I'm sure he'll get there.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +2 more
OP wint Regular Member • Posts: 387

paulski66 wrote:

John Motts wrote:

Why would you learn quicker by buying a cheap camera than you would an expensive camera? It's up to the individual what gear they buy.

Sure if they buy the most expensive expecting it to be the answer to everything, then they'll probably be disappointed, but that's up to them, not us.

I don't think expense has a lot to do with it, but...

The d600 is a pretty complex camera. Perhaps not the best place to start; clearly, he doesn't have mastery of all of the controls/settings yet. But I'm sure he'll get there.

Paul, I got good photos too. I know I've messed the settings in these pictures. Next time I'll upload the good ones. I'm learning and now I understand it was a error to upload that bad pictures and ask for IQ feedback. You can see my photos at 500px.com/mrka

wint's gear list:wint's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D610 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +3 more
inasir1971
inasir1971 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,623

How about trying the auto iso feature.

Under iso settings you could try:

• ISO sensitivity: 100
  • Minimum shutter speed: auto (center or one notch to right - 1/FL or 1/2xFL), or something like 1/80 - 1/100
  • max ISO: up to you but 4000 works for me
 inasir1971's gear list:inasir1971's gear list
Sony RX1R II Nikon D4 Nikon D850
u007 Senior Member • Posts: 1,681
Re: Some D600 + 24-70 f2.8 pictures. Is that IQ expected?

MarceloLI wrote:

The pictures looks really bad, over exposed but it is not the camera or lens fault, it is your fault.

Why you are using ISO 800, 2200 and 6400 in a sunny day??

Check your settings and learn how to use the camera.

He is CLEARLY trolling. Look at his other thread about wanting to move to Canon because of his experience with the D600.

Come on mods.. delete this stupid thread and ban the troll.

-- hide signature --

My travel photography blog - http://www.frescoglobe.com

CraigBennett
CraigBennett Contributing Member • Posts: 699

wint wrote:

Paul, I got good photos too. I know I've messed the settings in these pictures. Next time I'll upload the good ones. I'm learning and now I understand it was a error to upload that bad pictures and ask for IQ feedback. You can see my photos at 500px.com/mrka

I looked at your link, while some are okay, there are a lot of soft focus images with other issues going on.  Perhaps get a good book on exposure, such as "Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition" by Bryan Peterson or similar book.  You have some very good equipment, learn to use it.

-- hide signature --

Craig Bennett

CraigBennett's gear list:CraigBennett's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +6 more

u007 wrote:

MarceloLI wrote:

The pictures looks really bad, over exposed but it is not the camera or lens fault, it is your fault.

Why you are using ISO 800, 2200 and 6400 in a sunny day??

Check your settings and learn how to use the camera.

He is CLEARLY trolling. Look at his other thread about wanting to move to Canon because of his experience with the D600.

Come on mods.. delete this stupid thread and ban the troll.

-- hide signature --

My travel photography blog - http://www.frescoglobe.com

Instead of guessing here or there about who is trolling or not, why don't you look at my previous threads and see yourself that I'm still learning and a little confuse about gear!

Nikon D750 Nikon D610 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +3 more

CraigBennett wrote:

wint wrote:

Paul, I got good photos too. I know I've messed the settings in these pictures. Next time I'll upload the good ones. I'm learning and now I understand it was a error to upload that bad pictures and ask for IQ feedback. You can see my photos at 500px.com/mrka

I looked at your link, while some are okay, there are a lot of soft focus images with other issues going on. Perhaps get a good book on exposure, such as "Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition" by Bryan Peterson or similar book. You have some very good equipment, learn to use it.

-- hide signature --

Craig Bennett

Thank you for have looking. The firsts images were taken with mirrorless. The first page there, the latest photos, were with D600 and most of them with 85mm f1.8.

amobi
amobi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,113

wint wrote:

CraigBennett wrote:

wint wrote:

I looked at your link, while some are okay, there are a lot of soft focus images with other issues going on. Perhaps get a good book on exposure, such as "Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition" by Bryan Peterson or similar book. You have some very good equipment, learn to use it.

-- hide signature --

Craig Bennett

Thank you for have looking. The firsts images were taken with mirrorless. The first page there, the latest photos, were with D600 and most of them with 85mm f1.8.

There is nothing wrong with the images except you did not process them before uploading. A lot of the highlights could be recovered easily in post.

Some people here will never forgive you for knocking Nikon in your first thread. They will hammer you to death. To make friends you need to start another thread and proclaim your love for Nikon. Let them know that you have figured out your mistakes and that it was user error. The user error in this case happens to be true.

amobi wrote:

wint wrote:

CraigBennett wrote:

wint wrote:

-- hide signature --

Craig Bennett

There is nothing wrong with the images except you did not process them before uploading. A lot of the highlights could be recovered easily in post.

Some people here will never forgive you for knocking Nikon in your first thread. They will hammer you to death. To make friends you need to start another thread and proclaim your love for Nikon. Let them know that you have figured out your mistakes and that it was user error. The user error in this case happens to be true.

Yes. I said always, these photos are not processed! RAW to jpg directly through LR4.

wint wrote:

amobi wrote:

wint wrote:

CraigBennett wrote:

wint wrote:

-- hide signature --

Craig Bennett

Some people here will never forgive you for knocking Nikon in your first thread. They will hammer you to death. To make friends you need to start another thread and proclaim your love for Nikon. Let them know that you have figured out your mistakes and that it was user error. The user error in this case happens to be true.

Yes. I said always, these photos are not processed! RAW to jpg directly through LR4.

I'll upload also some of the processed in LR4 here I took last week:

ranalli Senior Member • Posts: 1,016

For what it's worth I love the shot of the duck even if your photos at the beginning of this thread are lacking.

argonzero Forum Member • Posts: 85

wint wrote:

wint wrote:

And now, I'm posting here some of pitcures taken in the weekend.

What you guys think about the IQ produced from my combo? That are the IQ to expect or lacking something?

Why are you asking others if those images are of decent quality ?

What I mean ... are they good enough for you or not ? Can't you decide this on your own ?

I'm testing the lenses. See my previous reply.

Hello, I think that your ISO settings contributed to the lack of sharpness and overall IQ.  With that much light 100 to 200 ISO shouldn't be a problem.  The high ISO was what had noticed right off the bat when I was trying to see how well this combination worked, but the ISO noise had muffled or hid the true sharpness of that lens and body.

shawn in ak Regular Member • Posts: 206

I like the duck too. And as far as the early shots go, your equipment is likely fine. I'd just try to remember to double check settings before shooting, keeping an eye on your histogram, do a little PP. You DO have a good eye though so if you work at it, I'm sure you'll be taking some great shots in no time. Perhaps check out a photography book too, it has certainly helped me.
I have to say that I'm fairly appalled at some of the responses here. A reminder why I don't use these forums much.

shawn in ak's gear list:shawn in ak's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-5 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +1 more
RBFresno
RBFresno Forum Pro • Posts: 12,571
Yep..Can be big diffrenece btween RAW and Post-processed

wint wrote:

What you guys think about the IQ produced from my combo? That are the IQ to expect or lacking something?

No post production here. From RAW 14bits to jpg 100% in LR4.

HI!

These are a little over the top, but show examples of differences between RAW and fairly heavy post processing:

RAW:

Nikon D4 ,Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR
1/200s f/7.1 at 200.0mm iso2500

Post processed:

And another:

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=270642

‚ÄčThere are multiple  steps from image capture to final image and multiple opportunities to degrade or enhance the final image.

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +14 more
Ray Ritchie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,026
Re: Yep..Can be big diffrenece btween RAW and Post-processed

I don't think I understand your point. If it's viewable, it isn't raw. If the raw NEF has been converted to JPEG in, say, Lightroom 4 (as the OP says he did), then it *has* been post-processed. Lightroom can do saturated colors and enhanced contrast just as Photoshop can.

Ray
My blog: http://www.rritchie.com/wordpress

Ray Ritchie's gear list:Ray Ritchie's gear list
Nikon D800 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM +1 more
RBFresno

Hi!

Ray Ritchie wrote:

I don't think I understand your point. If it's viewable, it isn't raw. If the raw NEF has been converted to JPEG in, say, Lightroom 4 (as the OP says he did), then it *has* been post-processed. Lightroom can do saturated colors and enhanced contrast just as Photoshop can.

Ray
My blog: http://www.rritchie.com/wordpress

The OP indicated that his images were "RAW, no "post- production".

Of course all digital images are processed to some extent.

I was trying to be nice and basically say that just taking a RAW image and converting to JPEG is not typically the best way to get the most out of your image and/or how to judge how good of a job your equipment is doing.

RB

Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +14 more
rusticus
rusticus Contributing Member • Posts: 559
FX-Hype, I do not need FX for these photos

I find the pictures ok, but nothing more -
anyway I see the FX hype with mixed feelings -
these images could come from almost any camera (MFT to FX)

rusticus's gear list:rusticus's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-5

RBFresno wrote:

wint wrote:

No post production here. From RAW 14bits to jpg 100% in LR4.

HI!

These are a little over the top, but show examples of differences between RAW and fairly heavy post processing:

RAW:

Nikon D4 ,Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR
1/200s f/7.1 at 200.0mm iso2500

Post processed:

And another:

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=270642

‚ÄčThere are multiple steps from image capture to final image and multiple opportunities to degrade or enhance the final image.

RB

amobi
amobi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,113
Re: FX-Hype, I do not need FX for these photos

rusticus wrote:

I find the pictures ok, but nothing more -
anyway I see the FX hype with mixed feelings -
these images could come from almost any camera (MFT to FX)

FX is not a hype. It is real.

RBFresno

wint wrote:

I like your B&W conversion!

RB

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads