No D400 or D7200 at CP+ sweepstake for nexr announcement date?

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions
Inars Forum Member • Posts: 55
Re: No D400 or D7200 at CP+ sweepstake for nexr announcement date?

And he says 70D whithout fail, respectively, no 7D II, no D400, but we have D7200 or something

Inars's gear list:Inars's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon 1 J5 +8 more
seahawk
seahawk Senior Member • Posts: 2,816

Well, I never discounted that outcome either. Now I just hope for a D700 replacement. FF fast and not D4 price level would be most welcome.

-- hide signature --

hobby aviation photographer

gary stepic
gary stepic Veteran Member • Posts: 4,819

What I see is we will be forced to buy much more expensive glass if we want more reach for sports or wildlife. I hope I am wrong but it seems to me like there will be no D400 or if so will be deficient somewhere, either slower frame rate or focusing not as good as D300.

Coming from Canon I never liked the 50D compared to the 7D so that interview was depressing to me. When I switched to Nikon I am now glad I bought a used D300S instead of waiting for the upgrade.

Gary

gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Sony RX10 III Sony a6300 Sony Alpha a7R III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +4 more
Michael
Michael Senior Member • Posts: 1,012

Inars wrote:

And he says 70D whithout fail, respectively, no 7D II, no D400, but we have D7200 or something

I would at least be looking forward to ... maybe a D9000... close to a d400 bettter buffer,  AF .

Better  build body ,pc socket ,would be  a extra

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 56,081

seahawk wrote:

Well, I never discounted that outcome either. Now I just hope for a D700 replacement. FF fast and not D4 price level would be most welcome.

I don't think there will be a 'D700 replacement'. I wouldn't discount the possibility of a D800H, a lower pixel count, higher frame rate version of the D800 sometime next year.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Dileep Kumar
Dileep Kumar Contributing Member • Posts: 698

seahawk wrote:

Within 3 months of the 7dII. Now go over to the Canon forum and find out when it will come

(exact same panic over there)

-- hide signature --

Waited so long for a Pro DX body from Nikon. Now I think we should be doing that.

I will consider 7DII and 800mm IS combo at least for my birding trips. And will dispose D800 or D4 along with 500mm Vr.

Kind regards,

Dileep

JimPearce
JimPearce Veteran Member • Posts: 9,188
Dileep...

I think we should wait for the best offer. However, if I do switch it will be for a 7D Mark II and 600 f4 IS II. But I might buy an 800 IS too!

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D500
coudet Veteran Member • Posts: 3,999

Dileep Kumar wrote:

I will consider 7DII and 800mm IS combo at least for my birding trips.

Perhaps 70D will have to suffice. Maeda says it's coming, some day..

ralittle2 Contributing Member • Posts: 727

bobn2 wrote:

seahawk wrote:

I don't think there will be a 'D700 replacement'. I wouldn't discount the possibility of a D800H, a lower pixel count, higher frame rate version of the D800 sometime next year.

-- hide signature --

Bob

What would be the difference then?  That sounds like it would work.

ralittle2's gear list:ralittle2's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +3 more
seahawk
seahawk Senior Member • Posts: 2,816

Well such a D800H would be a functional D700 replacement for me.

-- hide signature --

OP astwood1285 Senior Member • Posts: 1,331
D800H with different sensor

ralittle2 wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

seahawk wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bob

What would be the difference then? That sounds like it would work.

If I recall correctly the DxH cameras have been optimised for speed. This would likely mean a different sensor and some kind of Expeed development like the Expeed 3a in the Nikon v2. So maybe the D800H would have the 24 MP sensor of the D600 and an upgraded imaging pipeline.l It's a fun speculation anyway.

-- hide signature --

albion

astwood1285's gear list:astwood1285's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
bobn2

ralittle2 wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

seahawk wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bob

What would be the difference then?

That it's not a 'D700 replacement' but a higher speed lower resolution version of the D800. It would have a different market goal and position from the D700.

That sounds like it would work.

Sounds like you are personalising what a 'D700 replacement' would be. The D800 was the D700 replacement. Different camera, but took its place in the Nikon lineup.

-- hide signature --

Bob

bobn2

seahawk wrote:

Well such a D800H would be a functional D700 replacement for me.

That is a different issue - it still wouldn't be a 'D700 replacement' marketwise, it would be an extra camera in the Nikon lineup. The D800 was the D700 replacement. It wasn't the D3X replacement, though I would wager than most people who would previously have bought a D3X bought a D800.

-- hide signature --

Bob

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,624

astwood1285 wrote:

Roll up, roll up, place your bets...

So Nikon announced some P&S, an 18 - 35 with AF-S and at $17,899 the 800mm. What was missing were the D400 and/or D7200. So what's the best guess for the next announcment April, August, never? Let's record our guesses and kudos for th closest. Just to declare an academic interest I opt for April 1st 2013 (01/04/13 for the UK-ites or 04/01/13 for the US-ians). Over to the hordes...
--
albion

When I bet, I bet high odds moneyshot.

So, D400:

- Same body as D300, but:

- 1.3 crop with 1.5 fast action crop

- 6 fps without grip, 8 fps with

-8fps crop mode without grip, 10fps with grip and crop mode

- 24mp 1.3 crop mode, 16mp 1.5 crop mode. (or whatever the optcial experts tell me MP is for that crop)

- Native ISO 100-6400, extended 50-25600

- price = 1,800 (cheaper than FF but added cost of 1.3 crop sensor vs 1.5 and D300 type mechanical excellence)

- announcement April 1, available July 1

And it will be snapped up by the hordes. Wont be able to really get one till next January because of demand.

How is that?

Oh and just forgot...it will be followed two weeks later by the Canon 7D II,  a 1.3 crop mode 20MP 10 fps camera with pro build, selling for 1,750. Conicidence? 

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.” I am only a hoobyist, I cannot and do not give expert advice, dont expect it, just take it as a suggestion to think about, but only if you wish to. We should try to not wait for life to happen, while it passes us by.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,624

Bajerunner wrote:

astwood1285 wrote:

So Nikon announced some P&S, an 18 - 35 with AF-S and at $17,899 the 800mm. What was missing were the D400 and/or D7200. So what's the best guess for the next announcment April, August, never? Let's record our guesses and kudos for th closest. Just to declare an academic interest I opt for April 1st 2013 (01/04/13 for the UK-ites or 04/01/13 for the US-ians). Over to the hordes...
--
albion

When I bet, I bet high odds moneyshot.

So, D400:

- Same body as D300, but:

- 1.3 crop with 1.5 fast action crop

- 6 fps without grip, 8 fps with

-8fps crop mode without grip, 10fps with grip and crop mode

- 24mp 1.3 crop mode, 16mp 1.5 crop mode. (or whatever the optcial experts tell me MP is for that crop)

- Native ISO 100-6400, extended 50-25600

- price = 1,800 (cheaper than FF but added cost of 1.3 crop sensor vs 1.5 and D300 type mechanical excellence)

- announcement April 1, available July 1

And it will be snapped up by the hordes. Wont be able to really get one till next January because of demand.

How is that?

Oh and just forgot...it will be followed two weeks later by the Canon 7D II, a 1.3 crop mode 20MP 10 fps camera with pro build, selling for 1,750. Conicidence?

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.” I am only a hoobyist, I cannot and do not give expert advice, dont expect it, just take it as a suggestion to think about, but only if you wish to. We should try to not wait for life to happen, while it passes us by.

Oops, sorry the Canon will sell for 2,450.

-- hide signature --

yray
yray Senior Member • Posts: 1,644

Well, it's fun to speculate. Here is what it looks like right now:

D3x --------->  rumored D4x

D3s ----------> D4

D700 --------> D800/e

???   ---------> D600

D300s --------> ???

D7000 --------> rumored D7200

-- hide signature --

all the rest -----------

So, it would seem like Nikon does consider D800 the D700 replacement. (yes, I know...)

It would also seem like Nikon might have decided that a basic FX D600 is a better marketing bet than a high-end D400. In any case, it falls pretty much into the same price slot, or will eventually slide there anyway. I'm also wondering if Nikon is presently reusing the production capacity in Thailand used to build D300/s, to build D600 instead.

Just a speculation, but it appears plausible to me.

jonrobertp Forum Pro • Posts: 12,875

Well if the D7200 ....if that's the only one...it better be one up on the existing units...who wants to move from a D400 down to a jazzed up 72 with the same AF that the 400 has...but just more res, and very little change in IQ at hi iso ?   ...sad.

Likely similiar at Canon...but at least they have cross sensors at each side...unlike any Niks.  sigh.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100
ralittle2 Contributing Member • Posts: 727

bobn2 wrote:

ralittle2 wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

seahawk wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bob

That it's not a 'D700 replacement' but a higher speed lower resolution version of the D800. It would have a different market goal and position from the D700.

Six of one...

Sounds like you are personalising what a 'D700 replacement' would be. The D800 was the D700 replacement. Different camera, but took its place in the Nikon lineup.

-- hide signature --

Bob

If you are suggesting that there is a certain spec of what I'd like, then yes, I have certain criteria or specs of what I'd like.

ralittle2's gear list:ralittle2's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +3 more
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 28,165
d7200?

astwood1285 wrote:

So Nikon announced some P&S, an 18 - 35 with AF-S and at $17,899 the 800mm. What was missing were the D400 and/or D7200.

Why are  you expecting a d7200 when there is no d7100?  Just because the d3000 and d5000 series are now on the '2" version?  It'll be d7100 not 7200.

bobn2

ralittle2 wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

ralittle2 wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

seahawk wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bob

Six of one...

-- hide signature --

Bob

If you are suggesting that there is a certain spec of what I'd like, then yes, I have certain criteria or specs of what I'd like.

There are companies that would design and build a camera to your personal specification, but you wouldn't like the price you'd have to pay. Otherwise you're left buying products which the company's marketing departments believe will sell in a large enough volume to make a profit. That is what companies in a capitalist society need to do.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads