Impressing with AF improvement in new firmware

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Corwin Lee Forum Member • Posts: 66
Impressing with AF improvement in new firmware

After test the delayed firmware from site below, the af performance look good, it have solve the backlit focus problem. AF in other case also speed up slightly, look forward on final release :-).

http://www.dchome.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1176585&extra=page%3D1

Corwin Lee's gear list:Corwin Lee's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Zardoz
Zardoz Senior Member • Posts: 1,249
Re: Impressing with AF improvement in new firmware

Interesting, sounds like good news.  Is there a list of changes beyond the one from FujiRumors?  I wonder if this is identical to the update rumored to be shipping on SD card to the lucky few that have received their 14mm lenses.  Looking forward to the official release.

dengx Senior Member • Posts: 1,021

Corwin Lee wrote:

After test the delayed firmware from site below, the af performance look good, it have solve the backlit focus problem. AF in other case also speed up slightly, look forward on final release :-).

It is not the delayed firmware, it's the firmware that includes XF14 support (it is the same firmware that ships with XF14 on SD card and you can download it from that site).

The delayed firmware is 2.03.

Anyway I also heard that the backlight focus is improved.

Regards

TThorne
TThorne Senior Member • Posts: 3,013

Corwin Lee wrote:

After test the delayed firmware from site below, the af performance look good, it have solve the backlit focus problem. AF in other case also speed up slightly, look forward on final release :-).

Thanks for that. Not sure why I bothered to update, but I did.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Leica M Typ 240 Leica SL (Typ 601) Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +11 more

TThorne wrote:

Thanks for that. Not sure why I bothered to update, but I did.

That "tiny voice in your head" (C)

Offtopic:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/05/letter-to-george.html

Regards

Gunston Gun
Gunston Gun Regular Member • Posts: 352

No more hunting???

Gunston Gun's gear list:Gunston Gun's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Leica M8.2 Leica M9 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2/35 ZM Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +7 more
Gunston Gun
Gunston Gun Regular Member • Posts: 352

Hunting?

Gunston Gun's gear list:Gunston Gun's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Leica M8.2 Leica M9 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2/35 ZM Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +7 more
Corwin Lee OP Forum Member • Posts: 66

New firmware almost no hunting at all, but haven't test much on accuracy yet.

Corwin Lee's gear list:Corwin Lee's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
a l b e r t Senior Member • Posts: 1,435

Yes, almost no hunting and AF much more accurate!

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +7 more
Chris Dodkin
Chris Dodkin MOD Veteran Member • Posts: 6,879

great to hear - must download today

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
ven210 New Member • Posts: 19

Placebo or what but it seems faster. cant wait for 1.04.

pkincy
pkincy Contributing Member • Posts: 802

Please note that Fuji says this is NOT the new FW and should not  be downloaded or installed.

See Fuji Rumours.

-- hide signature --

X100
XPro1; 60mm Macro, 35mm f1.4
XE1; Kit Zoom

pcb_dpr Contributing Member • Posts: 835

This is all very strange. It's either a total hoax, or somebody went to the trouble to create a firmware hack without announcing it as such, or a genuine interim/unannounced firmware upgrade leaked from Fuji, or....what?? CDHome has downloadable files that appear to be firmware upgrades, and they're showing a photo of an X-Pro1 reporting body firmware 2.02. Fuji's own website still shows 2.01 as current. What gives?

pkincy wrote:

Please note that Fuji says this is NOT the new FW and should not be downloaded or installed.

See Fuji Rumours.

-- hide signature --

X100
XPro1; 60mm Macro, 35mm f1.4
XE1; Kit Zoom

JimMc Senior Member • Posts: 2,882
Re: Chris

Chris Dodkin wrote:

great to hear - must download today

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Is this firmware update applicable to the XE1? Exactly what improvements does it provide?

JimMc's gear list:JimMc's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II

pkincy wrote:

Please note that Fuji says this is NOT the new FW and should not be downloaded or installed.

It is a new firmware, it is just not the latest one that was to be released week ago but was pushed back.

It is a firmware that is bundled with XF14. That's all.

Regards

So this is an interim firmware release for adding XF14 support to the XP1/XE1, and is included with shipping XF14 lenses. I know you said that already, twice now, but I haven't had my morning coffee yet so not much is entering my brain.

Fuji hasn't made the XF14 firmware available on their website yet, or mentioned the 2.02 update (XP1) either, as far as I've seen, which probably accounts for the: "it's a fake!" chatter on fujirumors.com.

And some folks are saying this update does improve AF performance with other lenses. I'll probably let others test it before I try it on my camera, I'd feel better if Fuji made mention of all this on their website firmware update pages.

dengx wrote:

pkincy wrote:

It is a new firmware, it is just not the latest one that was to be released week ago but was pushed back.

It is a firmware that is bundled with XF14. That's all.

Regards

pcb_dpr wrote:

If these are genuine new firmware updates, why aren't they available yet on Fuji's site? How did the poster on DChome obtain them?

You are missing something.

This firmware comes with XF14mm on a SD card and they just copied it from there.

Fujifilm wanted to publish even newer firmware at the time of release of XF14 (it seems they got it ready) but found a nasty bug (most likely the bug with XF18-55 and pixels in left-top corner) and postponed it.

Regards

Yes, sorry, I apologized just above, I understand now. I'm blaming lack of caffeine. And the proliferation of rumors sites, fujirumors is saying the update is a fake and cameras shouldn't be flashed. I'll see if I can send them a note.

Maybe my XP1 will get 2.02 today...

dengx wrote:

pcb_dpr wrote:

If these are genuine new firmware updates, why aren't they available yet on Fuji's site? How did the poster on DChome obtain them?

This firmware comes with XF14mm on a SD card and they just copied it from there.

Fujifilm wanted to publish even newer firmware at the time of release of XF14 (it seems they got it ready) but found a nasty bug (most likely the bug with XF18-55 and pixels in left-top corner) and postponed it.

Regards

Already several comments on the fujirumors post stating the firmware is not fake. Time to end the firedrill and have that cup o' coffee....

pcb_dpr wrote:

Yes, sorry, I apologized just above, I understand now. I'm blaming lack of caffeine. And the proliferation of rumors sites, fujirumors is saying the update is a fake and cameras shouldn't be flashed. I'll see if I can send them a note.

Maybe my XP1 will get 2.02 today...

dengx wrote:

pcb_dpr wrote:

Regards

GSharp87 New Member • Posts: 21

I just installed this FW on my X-E1 and from the limited testing that I have done, the AF-assist illuminator seems to be doing a much better job. Low light auto-focusing almost never fails as long as you have some contrast in the AF box.

Definite improvement over the previous FW for sure - at least in my experience.

GSharp87's gear list:GSharp87's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads