Impressing with AF improvement in new firmware

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions
Corwin Lee Forum Member • Posts: 66
Impressing with AF improvement in new firmware

After test the delayed firmware from site below, the af performance look good, it have solve the backlit focus problem. AF in other case also speed up slightly, look forward on final release :-).

http://www.dchome.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1176585&extra=page%3D1

Corwin Lee's gear list:Corwin Lee's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Zardoz
Zardoz Senior Member • Posts: 1,249
Re: Impressing with AF improvement in new firmware

Interesting, sounds like good news.  Is there a list of changes beyond the one from FujiRumors?  I wonder if this is identical to the update rumored to be shipping on SD card to the lucky few that have received their 14mm lenses.  Looking forward to the official release.

dengx Senior Member • Posts: 1,023

Corwin Lee wrote:

After test the delayed firmware from site below, the af performance look good, it have solve the backlit focus problem. AF in other case also speed up slightly, look forward on final release :-).

http://www.dchome.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1176585&extra=page%3D1

It is not the delayed firmware, it's the firmware that includes XF14 support (it is the same firmware that ships with XF14 on SD card and you can download it from that site).

The delayed firmware is 2.03.

Anyway I also heard that the backlight focus is improved.

Regards

GSharp87 New Member • Posts: 21

I just installed this FW on my X-E1 and from the limited testing that I have done, the AF-assist illuminator seems to be doing a much better job. Low light auto-focusing almost never fails as long as you have some contrast in the AF box.

Definite improvement over the previous FW for sure - at least in my experience.

GSharp87's gear list:GSharp87's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
drent Regular Member • Posts: 254

I do not notice much difference (if any). AF-C is still not great (very slow), but I hardly ever use it I must admit.

But the update works, it is not a hoax message.

MonteCarlo67 Regular Member • Posts: 172

I'm guessing the only reason Fujifilm doesn't want you to download it is because it's not coming directly from their website. I'm assuming they know it is just the firmware upgrades that are on the memory card that comes with the 14mm that someone has just  posted on the Web.

MonteCarlo67's gear list:MonteCarlo67's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +1 more
hellocrowley Senior Member • Posts: 1,281

MonteCarlo67 wrote:

I'm guessing the only reason Fujifilm doesn't want you to download it is because it's not coming directly from their website. I'm assuming they know it is just the firmware upgrades that are on the memory card that comes with the 14mm that someone has just posted on the Web.

The reason is that the firmware is there to support the 14mm. If you have the 14mm, you have the firmware. If you don't, there's no benefit in installing it beside placebo effects.

baobob
baobob Veteran Member • Posts: 8,583

As demonstrated by Chasseur d'Images, french photo magazine, AFC works very well  for trackinf a mobile subject in a burst, the XE1 giving bettre results than the Alpha 99 in that exercice...

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +11 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 362

baobob wrote:

As demonstrated by Chasseur d'Images, french photo magazine, AFC works very well for trackinf a mobile subject in a burst, the XE1 giving bettre results than the Alpha 99 in that exercice...

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

Any links to that? Id love to read that

Ryan Williams
Ryan Williams Contributing Member • Posts: 598

MonteCarlo67 wrote:

I'm guessing the only reason Fujifilm doesn't want you to download it is because it's not coming directly from their website. I'm assuming they know it is just the firmware upgrades that are on the memory card that comes with the 14mm that someone has just posted on the Web.

Of course they're not going to endorse firmware that they don't directly provide themselves. If you install dodgy firmware on a device you'll 'brick' it — render it unusable because it has no working firmware. If that happens the only solution is to send it back to Fuji for repairs, and it'll probably cost you.

While in this particular case it's probably OK, you shouldn't make a habit of installing firmware you got from a third-party source onto your devices.

Imagefoundry Regular Member • Posts: 269

I don't know what's with the folks above "impressing" with AF improvements, the FW linked is 2.02 for Xpro1 and 1.03 for XE-1 - a simple lens compatibility update. It's been shipping for quite some time. Someone just decided to upload a copy from an SD card supplied with 14mm lens.

What am I missing?

cosmonaut
cosmonaut Senior Member • Posts: 2,223

I am not in such a hurry I have to download from a third party. People are so impatient.

Daniel from Bavaria Contributing Member • Posts: 846

Imagefoundry wrote:

I don't know what's with the folks above "impressing" with AF improvements, the FW linked is 2.02 for Xpro1 and 1.03 for XE-1 - a simple lens compatibility update. It's been shipping for quite some time. Someone just decided to upload a copy from an SD card supplied with 14mm lens.

What am I missing?

I assume not much.

I will wait what comes earlier: My 14mm lens or the official update from Fuji and will act accordingly.

Daniel from Bavaria's gear list:Daniel from Bavaria's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +4 more
BillyInya
BillyInya Senior Member • Posts: 1,453

baobob wrote:

As demonstrated by Chasseur d'Images, french photo magazine, AFC works very well for trackinf a mobile subject in a burst, the XE1 giving bettre results than the Alpha 99 in that exercice...

Very interesting.

Cheers

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads