Original 12.8mp 5d thoughts.

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions
hisway86
hisway86 New Member • Posts: 16
Original 12.8mp 5d thoughts.

Looking to get an original 5d Seeing what I should look out for when buying a used 5d. anyone know any good places to get good deals other then ebay on the camera looking to spend around 600 if that on the body. What do I need to pay attention to when buying an old camera like this.

 hisway86's gear list:hisway86's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 400D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II +2 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sssanti Contributing Member • Posts: 593
Re: Original 12.8mp 5d thoughts.

If you don't mind paying more, you can get some warranty by buying from vendors like BHphoto. For the best prices you could try craigslist in your local area so that you have an opportunity to meet in person and try the camera.

I would take pictures to see that it focuses correctly and that exposure is reasonable. I would try continuous shooting to make sure that the mirror is not failing. Some cameras had a problem with the mirror but if you had a problem Canon would repair it for free anytime.

The 5d has a tendency to accumulate dust in the sensor. This is not that critical because the sensor can be cleaned. To find out you can take an out-of-focus picture of a uniform surface at f/22. This way you can also see if the sensor has scratches which may be a more serious problem.

I don't believe it is possible to find the shutter count of a 5d but you may be able to guess by they way it looks.

walkaround Senior Member • Posts: 2,551
Re: Original 12.8mp 5d thoughts.
1

hisway86 wrote:

Looking to get an original 5d Seeing what I should look out for when buying a used 5d. anyone know any good places to get good deals

I don't think they have any "good deals", but I just got my 2006 (serial number starts with a "1") 5D from keh.com. There is no way for the end user to tell the shutter count, but you can see what the last continuous photo number was for the last CF card. So mine seems to have 9,100 clicks, which is light use for a semi-pro Canon. It was sold as "Ex+" for $725, with battery and charger.

Their "Ex+" is what most on ebay would call "mint". Very conservative ratings, and a very strong warranty and return policy.

The 5D Mk I is a great camera, even in 2013. You almost can't go wrong for these prices. This camera originally sold for the equivalent of $3700USD in today's dollars. Check out Ken Rockwell's thorough, very positive review for much more info.

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 28,354
Re: Original 12.8mp 5d thoughts.

walkaround wrote:

The 5D Mk I is a great camera,

It's the 5D, there is never a Mark I designation, only Mark II and so on.

walkaround Senior Member • Posts: 2,551
Re: Original 12.8mp 5d thoughts.
5

RedFox88 wrote:

walkaround wrote:

The 5D Mk I is a great camera,

It's the 5D, there is never a Mark I designation, only Mark II and so on.

Thank you for that pedantic correction. "World War I" also wasn't called that until the second model came out.

schmegg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,768
Re: Original 12.8mp 5d thoughts.

walkaround wrote:

There is no way for the end user to tell the shutter count, but you can see what the last continuous photo number was for the last CF card. So mine seems to have 9,100 clicks, which is light use for a semi-pro Canon.

Just a word of caution - you can't really imply anything useful from the "last continuous photo number".

Even if the numbering has remained consistent (by never inserting a card with images of a higher number on it), an image with a number of 9100 could indicate just 9,100 shots, or 19,100 shots, or 29,100 shot, or 99,100 shots or even 149,100 shots.

Judging by the condition of your camera, it's possible it has only taken 9,100 shots, but it's equally possibly it's taken many, many more (or even less!).

walkaround Senior Member • Posts: 2,551
Re: Original 12.8mp 5d thoughts.

schmegg wrote:

Just a word of caution - you can't really imply anything useful from the "last continuous photo number".

Even if the numbering has remained consistent (by never inserting a card with images of a higher number on it), an image with a number of 9100 could indicate just 9,100 shots, or 19,100 shots, or 29,100 shot, or 99,100 shots or even 149,100 shots.

Judging by the condition of your camera, it's possible it has only taken 9,100 shots, but it's equally possibly it's taken many, many more (or even less!).

Yes I completely agree. Judging by the wear on my camera (none) I figured 9100 was probably close.

Funny this is only something we worry about with digital cameras. When I bought my 1951 Canon iv-f, the last thing on my mind was how many shutter clicks does it have...

schmegg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,768
Re: Original 12.8mp 5d thoughts.

walkaround wrote:

schmegg wrote:

Just a word of caution - you can't really imply anything useful from the "last continuous photo number".

Even if the numbering has remained consistent (by never inserting a card with images of a higher number on it), an image with a number of 9100 could indicate just 9,100 shots, or 19,100 shots, or 29,100 shot, or 99,100 shots or even 149,100 shots.

Judging by the condition of your camera, it's possible it has only taken 9,100 shots, but it's equally possibly it's taken many, many more (or even less!).

Yes I completely agree. Judging by the wear on my camera (none) I figured 9100 was probably close.

Funny this is only something we worry about with digital cameras. When I bought my 1951 Canon iv-f, the last thing on my mind was how many shutter clicks does it have...

Hehe - quite true.

Maybe it's just because we could find out if they'd let us. Or maybe because many of us take heaps more images with digital than we did with film.

In any case - good luck with your 'classic'. It's a lovely camera for sure!

MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 13,824
Re: Original 12.8mp 5d thoughts.

hisway86 wrote:

Looking to get an original 5d Seeing what I should look out for when buying a used 5d. anyone know any good places to get good deals other then ebay on the camera looking to spend around 600 if that on the body. What do I need to pay attention to when buying an old camera like this.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1010.0

once beta and bugs worked out I may load ML.  I have it on my 60d and like it

 MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +8 more
acassino Regular Member • Posts: 109
Check to see if it has the mirror fix!

hisway86 wrote:

Looking to get an original 5d Seeing what I should look out for when buying a used 5d. anyone know any good places to get good deals other then ebay on the camera looking to spend around 600 if that on the body. What do I need to pay attention to when buying an old camera like this.

You might want to find out if it has the factory repair for the mirror detachment problem.

You can tell visually by looking at the mirror and seeing if it has retaining strips along the sides:

Shaun_Nyc
Shaun_Nyc Senior Member • Posts: 2,279
Re: Original 12.8mp 5d thoughts.

hisway86 wrote:

Looking to get an original 5d Seeing what I should look out for when buying a used 5d. anyone know any good places to get good deals other then ebay on the camera looking to spend around 600 if that on the body. What do I need to pay attention to when buying an old camera like this.

I found a basically new one w grip, somebody’s wedding backup that was never put into action for 600.00 1800 clicks on Fred Miranda, I would look there. Look to see if the mirror fix was done by canon





 Shaun_Nyc's gear list:Shaun_Nyc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
Skip M Veteran Member • Posts: 7,174
Re: Original 12.8mp 5d thoughts.

KEH.com is my go-to place for used gear.

As far as what to look for, there was an issue with the adhesive holding the mirror on failing and dropping the mirror.  Make sure this has been fixed.  We had both of our shutters fail at about 200,000 clicks, so make sure the one you buy isn't over-used.  (When the shutter failed on my wife's camera, it scratched the sensor...not a good thing.)

-- hide signature --

Skip M
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
www.pbase.com/skipm
http://skipm.smugmug.com/
http://skipmiddletonglamourshooter.blogspot.com/
'Living in the heart of a dream, in the Promised Land!'
John Stewart

Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 41,302
You can buy mine...

hisway86 wrote:

Looking to get an original 5d Seeing what I should look out for when buying a used 5d. anyone know any good places to get good deals other then ebay on the camera looking to spend around 600 if that on the body. What do I need to pay attention to when buying an old camera like this.

...it's hardly been used at all. 

Seriously, though, there are ways about it.  The first is if you're buying off ebay or an online forum.  Make sure it's a trusted seller with a decent return policy.  The second is if you're buying in person, such as Craigslist.  Check it over for damage, bring a lens and memory card, and fire off a bunch of shots.  If it seems good, then take the risk.  Otherwise, look for another deal.

qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350
Re: Check to see if it has the mirror fix!
1

acassino wrote:

hisway86 wrote:

Looking to get an original 5d Seeing what I should look out for when buying a used 5d. anyone know any good places to get good deals other then ebay on the camera looking to spend around 600 if that on the body. What do I need to pay attention to when buying an old camera like this.

You might want to find out if it has the factory repair for the mirror detachment problem.

You can tell visually by looking at the mirror and seeing if it has retaining strips along the sides:

Or just call Canon.  They will tell you if your copy has received this service on the serial number.  At least in USA, Canon will provide a shipping label and get your mirror replaced or strengthen, clean your camera,  update to the latest firmware and ship back, everything is free even before your mirror falls.  That is exactly what I did and my mirror never falls but still sent to Canon for this enhancement.  They also can tell you shutter actuation.

-- hide signature --
Dave Seeley Senior Member • Posts: 1,426
Re: Original 12.8mp 5d thoughts.

Loved mine at the time, but it was a dust magnet.  No shake cleaning, so increased likelihood of regular sensor cleanings, which can be hazardous.

-- hide signature --

pro photo-illustration
http://www.DaveSeeley.com/
current kit: 5DmkIII, 17-35/2.8L, 24-70/2.8L II, 24-105/4L, 70-200 is II/2.8L II, 70-300/4.0-5.6L is, 100 macro/2.8L, 50/1.2L, 2x III extender, 1.4x III extender, 8x550ex Speedlites, Phottix Odin Flash Triggers

 Dave Seeley's gear list:Dave Seeley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +15 more
Sovern Contributing Member • Posts: 907
Re: Original 12.8mp 5d thoughts.

hisway86 wrote:

Looking to get an original 5d Seeing what I should look out for when buying a used 5d. anyone know any good places to get good deals other then ebay on the camera looking to spend around 600 if that on the body. What do I need to pay attention to when buying an old camera like this.

I'd go with KEH Camera, 6 month warranty and 14 day return policy can not be beaten on a used camera.

Craigslist and Ebay seems like a huge risk in retrospect.

Shutter goes within 6 months? No big deal send it back but if you bought it from someone on CL or Ebay you're screwed.

I just had a shutter go on me from a camera that I bought off of CL I would not buy a used camera from an individual seller ever again unless I knew them.

MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 13,824
Re: Original 12.8mp 5d thoughts.

Sovern wrote:

hisway86 wrote:

Looking to get an original 5d Seeing what I should look out for when buying a used 5d. anyone know any good places to get good deals other then ebay on the camera looking to spend around 600 if that on the body. What do I need to pay attention to when buying an old camera like this.

I'd go with KEH Camera, 6 month warranty and 14 day return policy can not be beaten on a used camera.

Craigslist and Ebay seems like a huge risk in retrospect.

Shutter goes within 6 months? No big deal send it back but if you bought it from someone on CL or Ebay you're screwed.

I just had a shutter go on me from a camera that I bought off of CL I would not buy a used camera from an individual seller ever again unless I knew them.

Keh is good.

I sold good stuff to keh

I'd buy from keh

I'd buy from craigslist if I got to check it out like GB said.

I bought my 5dc from ebay and had the shutter replaced, mirror reinforced,  and body adjusted and cleaned for $215.  $1000 + $215 ain't bad for the last 3 years  - $400 depreciation in three years -- where else can one get FF for that

 MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +8 more
qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350
Re: Original 12.8mp 5d thoughts.

MAC wrote:

Sovern wrote:

hisway86 wrote:

Looking to get an original 5d Seeing what I should look out for when buying a used 5d. anyone know any good places to get good deals other then ebay on the camera looking to spend around 600 if that on the body. What do I need to pay attention to when buying an old camera like this.

I'd go with KEH Camera, 6 month warranty and 14 day return policy can not be beaten on a used camera.

Craigslist and Ebay seems like a huge risk in retrospect.

Shutter goes within 6 months? No big deal send it back but if you bought it from someone on CL or Ebay you're screwed.

I just had a shutter go on me from a camera that I bought off of CL I would not buy a used camera from an individual seller ever again unless I knew them.

Keh is good.

I sold good stuff to keh

I have several lenses to sell. I tried the Keh (that I only heard recently) to get an idea. But the quoted prices are way too low. Is a marketplace or the only option is to sell to the shop (that usually will not be good)? Heard bad stories in Craigslit, a bit of dangerous to me. I guess eBay is still the best place for me to sell (and buy) despite has to pay those fees. It's much safer and likely still can sell at the best price.

I'd buy from keh

I'd buy from craigslist if I got to check it out like GB said.

I bought my 5dc from ebay and had the shutter replaced, mirror reinforced, and body adjusted and cleaned for $215. $1000 + $215 ain't bad for the last 3 years - $400 depreciation in three years -- where else can one get FF for that

-- hide signature --
EvokeEmotion Contributing Member • Posts: 998
Re: Original 12.8mp 5d thoughts.

Bought my 5D on Craigslist. Met the guy in a parking lot where nobody else was around. He pulled the camera out of the back of his truck full of junk. Camera has dents and scratches, no box. Gave him $900 in cash (this was over 2 years ago). Never asked his name, never saw him again.

Took the camera with me to many countries, across continents. Took many lovely pictures and it still works like a charm today.

Buy from where you're comfortable with.

 EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +8 more
qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350
Re: Original 12.8mp 5d thoughts.

EvokeEmotion wrote:

Bought my 5D on Craigslist. Met the guy in a parking lot where nobody else was around. He pulled the camera out of the back of his truck full of junk. Camera has dents and scratches, no box.

I can smell potential risks here. His camera can be robbed and run away by the "buyer". I actually read a real story in this forum that one guy was trying to sell his 5D2 in parking lot. The "buyer" pretended to check the camera and suddenly ran away and quickly disappeared into a car waiting at the side of road by another person and then drove away. No witness, no video and what you could do about?

Gave him $900 in cash (this was over 2 years ago). Never asked his name, never saw him again.

Another risk here. The seller could receive fake cash. The seller may not be able to tell onsite. What he could do about?

Took the camera with me to many countries, across continents. Took many lovely pictures and it still works like a charm today.

Sure but w/o original box and USA registration card etc, it could affect your resale value. Not sure if worth risks by saving a few hundred bulks.

Buy from where you're comfortable with.

I will not do this way. Sounds scary.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads