Can the 6D handle a Wedding?

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Questions
kmckinnon Regular Member • Posts: 147
Can the 6D handle a Wedding?

I have done occassional portrait/graduation shoots with my 50D.

My current kit:
50D
Canon 85 1.8
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS
Canon EFS 10-22
Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC
Tamron 18-270 VC

Canon 580EX II
Canon 430EX

I am being asked to shoot a wedding.  This comes at a time when I am considering a the purchase of a FF camera for its better subject isolation and image quality.  Because of $ I'm considering the 6D 24-105 kit.  That would get me FF with a decent focal range.  If I go with a 5D3 I'd most likely get the body only and sell the 3 DX lenses I currently own (10-22 and the Tammys) to get the 24-105.

This forum has made me well aware of the superior auto-focus of the 5D3.  I've also seen many post that the 6D would make a good backup for a wedding photographer.  Would it?  Can the 6D AF handle slower moving subjects like the Bride and Groom moving up and down the aisle?
Would it be reasonable to get the 6D with the 24-105 and have that as a starting point?  I'd then sell the DX lenses to finance something like the 16-35 or the 24-70.  If I turn Pro I'd purchase a 5Dx and still have the 6D for backup.

-- hide signature --

kmckinnon

kmckinnon's gear list:kmckinnon's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
brian1366 Contributing Member • Posts: 514
Re: Can the 6D handle a Wedding?

The 5D II was an extremely popular wedding camera for many years (and still is). The 6D with your 50D as a back-up would be a fine combo. As I sure others will soon point out, the photographer is more often the limitation at the wedding than the equipment.

brian1366's gear list:brian1366's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Nigel Wilkins
Nigel Wilkins Senior Member • Posts: 1,006

I've done weddings with my 5DII & 85mm f/1.2 lens without problems.  With the 24-105 f/4 it should be much easier due to it's greater depth of field wide open & quicker focusing.  My 6D improves on the 5DII using the centre focusing point.  I can't comment on the other focus points as I never use them.

One couple now have a 20" x 30" canvas hanging on their wall just inside the front door, so you see it at reading distances as you enter.  It looks plenty sharp enough to me.

Nigel Wilkins's gear list:Nigel Wilkins's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +1 more
lordbeau Senior Member • Posts: 1,242

When I handled the 6D in December at a Canon event, I asked the rep whether it was any good for weddings. Her reply (not surprisingly) was a big yes.

My only worry would be the single card slot. On the other hand, I used to use D700 for weddings and the 5D Mark II also only has one slot.

I don't see why the 6D would not be any good for weddings. I had shot weddings with D300s which has poor low-light capability though very snappy AF.

I think a good combo would be 6D for easier scenes and then 7D for snappy AF perhaps (or of course, a 5D Mark III which seems to have both).

jedinstvo
jedinstvo Senior Member • Posts: 1,914
The only reason to go to a wedding

The only reason to go to a wedding is to run off with an amorous bridesmaid.

Noogy
Noogy Senior Member • Posts: 1,918

kmckinnon wrote:

I have done occassional portrait/graduation shoots with my 50D.

My current kit:
50D
Canon 85 1.8
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS
Canon EFS 10-22
Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC
Tamron 18-270 VC

Canon 580EX II
Canon 430EX

I am being asked to shoot a wedding. This comes at a time when I am considering a the purchase of a FF camera for its better subject isolation and image quality. Because of $ I'm considering the 6D 24-105 kit. That would get me FF with a decent focal range. If I go with a 5D3 I'd most likely get the body only and sell the 3 DX lenses I currently own (10-22 and the Tammys) to get the 24-105.

This forum has made me well aware of the superior auto-focus of the 5D3. I've also seen many post that the 6D would make a good backup for a wedding photographer. Would it? Can the 6D AF handle slower moving subjects like the Bride and Groom moving up and down the aisle?
Would it be reasonable to get the 6D with the 24-105 and have that as a starting point? I'd then sell the DX lenses to finance something like the 16-35 or the 24-70. If I turn Pro I'd purchase a 5Dx and still have the 6D for backup.

-- hide signature --

kmckinnon

Can you handle the 6D in the first place? No pun intended, what I mean is have you tried it in your hands? It handles differently from my 7D, as an example. The 7D's ergo is simply superb. I love that the 6D is lighter, however, so I can shoot longer without feeling fatigued. 6D as a camera can handle many situations, including wedding, perhaps sports photography will be its biggest challenge. That is, provided the photographer knows how to handle it. After a month of owning one, I believe I am already on "speaking terms" with my 6D. Took me three to four months with my 7D, and it's perhaps because I then came from an XTi. 7D to 6D was a shorter learning curve.

-- hide signature --

JCC
"Photography is therapeutic."
http://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 Canon 6D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM +14 more
Dale Garman Contributing Member • Posts: 749

Everything I have seen suggests the 6D will be terrific for weddings.  However, one key variable might be how much time you have before the event to get familiar with the FF, the ISO performance, the changes in DOF, the changes in which lens work for your effect.  I think there will be an adjustment, and some missed shots, getting used to it.  So I would just make sure to allow quite a bit of playing time before.

You didn't ask this, but I would make sure you are ready to shoot a wedding.  It's not like taking a few pictures here and there.  It moves fast, often in poor backgrounds and poor lighting, and most events only happen once, and so if you miss it, it's gone.  Have you done some wedding work before either as a second or responsbile for the whole thing?  So some unsolictied thoughts:

• definitely need two cameras, both as backup, and to avoid switching lenses
  • need two flashes, again for backup. 
  • Assistant is very helpful to help gather people, to hold lights if you are shooting remote, take addtional coverage.

Good luck

Dale Garman's gear list:Dale Garman's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +8 more
MichaelStringer Forum Member • Posts: 86
Yes it can

I use the 6D alongside my 5D III at weddings. I did a review of the 6D from the point of view of wedding photography - it is on my blog. I describe it as a great backup to a 5D III because I use both together but there's no reason it can't be the primary camera.

As somebody else said, wedding pros have been using the 5D II at weddings for years and the 6D is better in most ways - AF, IQ, overall speed. I wish it had a second card slot but the lower weight and size are very welcome. Image noise is slightly better than the 5D III - useful at receptions and in dark churches. Great handling, though different to the 5D III (or II) so takes a bit of getting used to. Centre point is very good indeed, especially in low light. Tracking is acceptable for slow moving subjects using the centre point. The outer points are fine in good light but not very reliable for tracking.

Kabe Luna
Kabe Luna Veteran Member • Posts: 9,493
The real question is:

kmckinnon wrote:

My current kit:
50D
Canon 85 1.8
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS
Canon EFS 10-22
Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC
Tamron 18-270 VC

Canon 580EX II
Canon 430EX

I am being asked to shoot a wedding. This comes at a time when I am considering a the purchase of a FF camera for its better subject isolation and image quality. Because of $ I'm considering the 6D 24-105 kit. That would get me FF with a decent focal range. If I go with a 5D3 I'd most likely get the body only and sell the 3 DX lenses I currently own (10-22 and the Tammys) to get the 24-105.

This forum has made me well aware of the superior auto-focus of the 5D3. I've also seen many post that the 6D would make a good backup for a wedding photographer. Would it? Can the 6D AF handle slower moving subjects like the Bride and Groom moving up and down the aisle?
Would it be reasonable to get the 6D with the 24-105 and have that as a starting point? I'd then sell the DX lenses to finance something like the 16-35 or the 24-70. If I turn Pro I'd purchase a 5Dx and still have the 6D for backup.

-- hide signature --

kmckinnon

Can youhandle a wedding? Seldom is gear the limiting factor.

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D750 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +8 more
ktownbill Senior Member • Posts: 2,191

given the highly rigorous demands of weddings I would want the advantage of superior focus acquisition such as a 7D or 5Dm3.....   Somebody mentioned using a 7D for all the 'moving' shots and a FF for the static shots?  Good advice??  I think so...  Many photogs do just that.

If shooting weddings is for beer money as you stated then given the huge price drop of the 5dm3 and you could make the difference shooting just one wedding what's the problem??  You can extend the logic of all the weddings shot with the abysmal 5dm2 and compare to rollfilm cameras of yesteryear....

Weddings are brutally demanding.  I say 5dm3 or 7D.

But to answer your question, a 6D will indeed handle a wedding...   Can YOU with a lesser camera though...that is the question.

best of luck to you

Bill

-- hide signature --

img7d

Adam Palmer Regular Member • Posts: 368

You are better off with a 50d and a 6d than just a 5dIII. I love my 5dIII but I you have to have a backup.

If you really know what you are doing you could get the job done with a rebel but it puts you at a disadvantage.

-- hide signature --
 Adam Palmer's gear list:Adam Palmer's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7 II Sony a6300 Sony a99 II Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +12 more
ageha
ageha Contributing Member • Posts: 651

If you have to ask that question in a forum you most probably can't handle at wedding yourself. Every DSLR today can handle it.

ageha's gear list:ageha's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390 Nikon D600 +17 more
rjjr Forum Pro • Posts: 13,378
I've shot weddings with a 20D...

So I guess a 6D could handle it if you can.

pete zeugma Regular Member • Posts: 476
my original canon D30 could so what makes you think it cant!

you do know people also still take wedding photos with.... FILM!

andyus08 Regular Member • Posts: 366
Re: you also need a second photographer!

If you're a main person to shoot a the wedding and you get paid, then you not only need a back up camera, but a second photographer.

I still use 10D and now i also have 5D II which is working great for me.

Good luck.

MichaelStringer Forum Member • Posts: 86
why?

andyus08 wrote:

If you're a main person to shoot a the wedding and you get paid, then you not only need a back up camera, but a second photographer.

I still use 10D and now i also have 5D II which is working great for me.

Good luck.

Why does he need a second photographer? I've never had one and I'm happy not to have had.

OP kmckinnon Regular Member • Posts: 147
I have...

The mention of "beer money" was because I have other sources of income.   It was not not diminish full time wedding photographers or imply I'd work for little ot no $.  Yes I'm about 60.  I did a wedding with my 50D last year and am capable of lugging my gear all day and all night followed by a day or two of post.  That turned out OK so the 6D should work fine.

Ideally I'd like to get my foot in the door by assisting an established photographer (being an assistant and/or 2nd).  But for the near future I'll be mostly on my own with an assistant helping me with off camera lighting and with organizing and posing clients.  I expect most of that business to be high school graduation photos done on location.

-- hide signature --

kmckinnon

kmckinnon's gear list:kmckinnon's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +2 more
DreamsAreDust
DreamsAreDust Regular Member • Posts: 418
Re: The real question is:

Kabe Luna wrote:

kmckinnon wrote:

My current kit:
50D
Canon 85 1.8
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS
Canon EFS 10-22
Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC
Tamron 18-270 VC

Canon 580EX II
Canon 430EX

-- hide signature --

kmckinnon

For sure.. I started out doing weddings with a manual focus Canon AE-1, then an A-1, then an autofocus film Eos 600 (I think it was 600, I rarey fuss over camera names/brands -  I have no CamPeen)

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Don't bother with dreams, reality turns them into dust..

Press Correspondent
Press Correspondent Veteran Member • Posts: 3,345
Great!

DreamsAreDust wrote:

Kabe Luna wrote:

kmckinnon wrote:

For sure.. I started out doing weddings with a manual focus Canon AE-1, then an A-1, then an autofocus film Eos 600 (I think it was 600, I rarey fuss over camera names/brands - I have no CamPeen)

Garland

Thanks for jumpong in! I'm glad you understood that Garland was asking, byt not the OP.

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
DreamsAreDust
DreamsAreDust Regular Member • Posts: 418
Re: Great!

Press Correspondent wrote:

DreamsAreDust wrote:

Kabe Luna wrote:

kmckinnon wrote:

For sure.. I started out doing weddings with a manual focus Canon AE-1, then an A-1, then an autofocus film Eos 600 (I think it was 600, I rarey fuss over camera names/brands - I have no CamPeen)

Garland

Thanks for jumpong in! I'm glad you understood that Garland was asking, byt not the OP.

I was replying to his "Seldom is gear the limiting factor", confirming it.

I was not ansering the part about "Can you handle..".

Geez.. damn forum police...

brb

So I posted a reply, you thought to the wrong person**.. it happens here 100 times a day.. and you felt the need to jump in yourself and pour scorn on me for it??

You don't get out much, do you...??

|

** I actually DID post to the correct person - I was agreeing with his post about 'user not equipment'

If you THINK about it (try thinking, you might find it opens whole news worlds)..

I answered BOTH people:

The OP was specific about the 6D - to which the answer is that pretty much ANY moderately decent camera can handle a wedding. The 6D is not a 'anti-pro' camera except, perhaps, for the CamPeen people who might look down on it as an 'amateur's camera'.

Garland referred to operator not equipment - my reply was confirming that as I successfully used a manual focus film camera in my first 1 1/2 years of pro wedding work.

|

Why did you even feel the need to police my post??

Is it because I "jumped it"? Was this a private discussion?
I notice that your only contribution was to tell me off for mine...

-- hide signature --

Don't bother with dreams, reality turns them into dust..

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads