ONA The Bowery load out & review - great bag!

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions
dav1dz Regular Member • Posts: 104
ONA The Bowery load out & review - great bag!

I got my bag from B&H so I could use their Canadian customs brokerage, here is the manufacturer's direct link.

I can fit quite a few things in it:

• OM-D E-M5
  • O9-18
  • O14-150
  • O17/1.8
  • PL25
  • O45
  • extra battery
  • extra memory cards
  • 4-filter pouch
  • cleaning cloth

That's one body, five lenses and a full filters set with room to spare for many other things! I can fit my E-M5 fitted with the 14-150 zoom facing down. If I didn't have all of my lenses with me, I can curl up my Gorillapod Hyrbid into one of the sections.

This bag also fits in my medium sized day pack. If I feel like carrying more gear I can bundle them up. I added one extra padding from one of my Lowepro bags to add another compartment, that's up to you.

Here are some photos.

Sorry, had to use a cellphone.

Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001
Re: ONA The Bowery load out & review - great bag!

The only thing I disagree with is having the lenses bounce around by each not being protected. I like that each lens have its own compartment. If the bag takes a fall or you do it becomes lens bumper cars.

You have lots invested in the gear I just like maximum protection.

For comparison the Domke F-6 little bit smaller, ballistic series would fit everything if I counted your lenses correctly.

OP dav1dz Regular Member • Posts: 104

ryan2007 wrote:

The only thing I disagree with is having the lenses bounce around by each not being protected. I like that each lens have its own compartment. If the bag takes a fall or you do it becomes lens bumper cars.

One can invest in a bunch of lens pouches no?

If you want a compartment for each lens, that'll have to be a backpack at least.

ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001

dav1dz wrote:

ryan2007 wrote:

If you want a compartment for each lens, that'll have to be a backpack at least.

Nope, not really. It depends how much you want to augment the bag.

I mentioned the Domke f-6 little bit smaller bag. If you want to go to the expense this is what you can do.

Buy the Domke f-6 bag and get Two of the short two section compartments for that Domke bag.

Buy the Think Tank Retrospective 7 or Retro 10 and remove the inserts and replace them with the Domke they fit perfectly.

The Retrospective 5 is a good bag but not enough room for what you have. It will fit the camera with lens attached and two additional lens with no augmentation needed for MFT's.

Actually the Think Tank Retrospective bag may work if you can leave a lens at home or maybe get a Domke Lens wrap and stack it on top.

I look at the interior dimensions of a bag and will even lay out my gear to get a rough measurement.

If you can and again go to the expense since bags are so hard to figure out buy a few of them and return what does not work. If you do that, take a photo of the new camera bag so you remember how the inserts came originally if you need to return it.

Jeff Tokayer Veteran Member • Posts: 6,278

Nice bag. The fact that it's not too deep, makes it more suitable for µ4/3.

In my wish list, and yes, B@H shipping rates to Canada are great.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

Kuppenbender
Kuppenbender Senior Member • Posts: 2,135
Interesting bag

It's USP would appear to be the 6" internal height, perfect for m43 cameras and their smaller lenses.

I would agree with Ryan2007's observation that having all those lenses squashed up together is less than ideal. Unless it's a long trip though, I wouldn't want to take more than a couple of lenses with me  at any one time anyway. No point in bringing it all just because you can.

The Ona looks perfect for a body, zoom and  a couple of primes, battery, filter etc...

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
Pasmia Contributing Member • Posts: 536

I thought the idea of a dedicated camera bag was to be able to properly store and transport your gear. The way that it is pictured being used here, you can simply throw all your gear in a grocery bag as you leave the house.  Or is the leather and buckles a fashion statement?

Pasmia's gear list:Pasmia's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Pasmia Contributing Member • Posts: 536

hmmm... that came a little ruder than intended. I should stay away from the keyboard before I get my coffee.  Anyways, I'd prefer a compartment/divider for each lens individually.  Nice bag otherwise.

Pasmia's gear list:Pasmia's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8

ryan2007 wrote:

dav1dz wrote:

ryan2007 wrote:

I mentioned the Domke f-6 little bit smaller bag. If you want to go to the expense this is what you can do.

Buy the Domke f-6 bag and get Two of the short two section compartments for that Domke bag.

Buy the Think Tank Retrospective 7 or Retro 10 and remove the inserts and replace them with the Domke they fit perfectly.

The Retrospective 5 is a good bag but not enough room for what you have. It will fit the camera with lens attached and two additional lens with no augmentation needed for MFT's.

Actually the Think Tank Retrospective bag may work if you can leave a lens at home or maybe get a Domke Lens wrap and stack it on top.

I look at the interior dimensions of a bag and will even lay out my gear to get a rough measurement.

If you can and again go to the expense since bags are so hard to figure out buy a few of them and return what does not work. If you do that, take a photo of the new camera bag so you remember how the inserts came originally if you need to return it.

I carry this as a day pack and I've always stacked all of my lenses in my previous bags. What's the harm? They get a bit scuffed but I'm going to use my equipment anyways so eventually they'll be scuffed. That's just inevitable.

Domke F-6 is too deep for me. It sticks out like I'm wearing a fanny pack. Sorry it's just how it fits me.

I've looked at Retrospective 5, 7 & 10. 7 and 10 are just way too big. They are bags for DSLRs and 4-5 lenses. I don't need to haul my notebook with me everywhere I go, why would I need that kind of weight load design? Even Retrospective 5 was designed for DSLRs and it is way too tall. The height measures at 8.5". I'd rather my lenses bunched up together tightly and drop shorter distances than to have them set loosely and drop longer distances. Wouldn't you say the inertia force would be much stronger in the latter example?

Putting lenses in protective pouches makes perfect sense if you don't want them scuffing. It's also extra cushion. I don't have very good pouches for lenses, but these should demonstrate my point.

Pasmia wrote:

I thought the idea of a dedicated camera bag was to be able to properly store and transport your gear. The way that it is pictured being used here, you can simply throw all your gear in a grocery bag as you leave the house. Or is the leather and buckles a fashion statement?

You underestimate the versatility of this bag. It is dedicated yes but I put it in my daypack all the time. I looked hard at this and the Crumpler Haven series. Setting out I basically wanted a pouch type of camera bag that would also fit in larger bags if I wanted to have more configuration freedom.

If it is considered a fashion statement, it is a fairly cheap one? This bag is cheaper than all the comparable Think Tank and Domke models. Let's not even mention Billingham in this thread.

Kuppenbender
Kuppenbender Senior Member • Posts: 2,135
That all depends on where you live.

dav1dz wrote:

If it is considered a fashion statement, it is a fairly cheap one? This bag is cheaper than all the comparable Think Tank and Domke models. Let's not even mention Billingham in this thread.

In the UK the Ona Bowery's RRP is about double its US price. Billingham bags are conversely much cheaper here than abroad. The Hadley Small is priced midway between the Bowery's RRP and its current online discount price.

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
alan brown Contributing Member • Posts: 639

ryan2007 wrote:

dav1dz wrote:

ryan2007 wrote:

ryan2007,  do you know if the two short domke f6 inserts will fit in the retrospective 5 with room for EM5 with 14-45 lens?  Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

alan brown

Bmat Regular Member • Posts: 338

That looks nice.  I have so many bags, but ordered it.  I'm slightly worried the smaller size will make it look a bit like a purse, but am willing to try it out.

Re: lenses hitting each other; m43 lenses are so small I frequently stack them on their sides in larger bags and just put them in pouches.

-- hide signature --

Brian. Too much stuff; not enough stuff.

Bmat's gear list:Bmat's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads