how bad is iq on tz30 ? better to go with fz150 or fz200?

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions
katterina Regular Member • Posts: 247
how bad is iq on tz30 ? better to go with fz150 or fz200?

Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade my compact camera which is currently a tz5. I was thrilled to see an upgrade in the tz30 but less than happy wiyh the amount of negative comments i have seen feom reviews around image quality and noise.

I am travelling to the far east soon and need something that will still give me good photos. I have a d50 a d300s but dont want to take these with me as its a beach and city holiday in high heat. Therefore i was looking at something smaller. Ideally a compact that i can take anywhere and i am also attending a wedding where i will be taking pictures. I have been considering the tz30 vs the canon 260 but am even less enthused by the canon. Id still like to have some control over aperture shutter and quality video would be a big plus.

Are tz30 users dissapointed with their purchase? Is it so bad in low light that you run screaming away from it? Im a bit concerned over indoor temple shots or low light at the wedding.

The only others ive seen that are the fz150 and fz200. The price of the fz200 is a bit steep considering the cost of the holiday already. I can just about afford the fz150 but its a much bigger camera and im a bit wary of leaving it in the hotel safe or keeping an eye on it all the time. I appreciate that these are bridge cameras and very different from a compact. The fz150 didnt seem to do that well in reviews i have seen.

Im just very confused over what to get. Ultimately id love to get a bridge and a decent compact for use when i dont want an slr lol. I should also say that i do not have a great monitor at the moment for photo editing as my computer is connected to tv for space reasons. I do plan on getting a good monitor when i move but wont be able to do a lot of indepth editing at the moment. The msin thing id like to do is make one of those photo books of the holiday rather than try to sell or blow them up to canvas pic size.

Any comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated thank you.

John Beavin
John Beavin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,305
Re: how bad is iq on tz30 ? better to go with fz150 or fz200?

I do not own an fz150 but would strongly advise you to go for it, as for image quality those pocketable cameras are fine, but the lack of a viewfinder is a no no, with a clear view they are as big as the fz150 so why not bite the bullet. I"ll wager you will not regret it.

John Beavin's gear list:John Beavin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 +1 more
allanmh Regular Member • Posts: 102

I currently own an FZ200, and used to own an FZ150. To accompany them I also have the little brother of the TZ30, the TZ25, which in many reviews have been judged to have better IQ than the TZ30.

I am totally satisfied with the camera, I carry it with me everywhere, and I have used it exclusively on a couple of trips abroad. Its 16x, 24-384mm focal range is incredibly versatile, and 12mpix is certaily enough from a small sensor. Heartily recommended.

The FZ150/200 are much larger cameras, but I have also been impressed by their IQ for the price/sensor size. You cannot go wrong with either.

Whatever you choose, happy shooting and a happy trip.

-- hide signature --

allanmh

ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 15,677

I do not own an fz150 but would strongly advise you to go for it, as for image quality those pocketable cameras are fine, but the lack of a viewfinder is a no no, with a clear view they are as big as the fz150 so why not bite the bullet. I"ll wager you will not regret it.

Not everyone needs a EVF.
I was shooting Birds in Flight (BIF) with my zs20, using the LCD.

Some of us can still see it from 5 to7", and dont need to shoot at arms length.

A no no for u, might not be a no no for others.
Perhaps the OP, is fine with a LCD only camera.

The ZS20 is a fine camera, with good zoom range, super portable, and does really good video, even high speed slo mo video.

ANAYV

Chris62 Contributing Member • Posts: 693

TZ30 is decent enough but the question is if the Sony HX20 is not better one?

I saw few comparisons and HS20's resolution was the best in this class but I did not see Samsung WB850 compared directly.The last one has zoom 21x and the fastest lens.

Chris62's gear list:Chris62's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
theranman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,228

head's up: TZ40 is gonna be announced next week.

Gary R. Veteran Member • Posts: 3,196

John Beavin wrote:

I'm not sure if the "clear view" you're referring to means the ClearViewer, but if so, you not only don't own an FZ150, you have no idea of what a ClearViewer is.

FZ150 and ZS7 (which is several mm thicker than a TZ30/ZS20) side by side, Clearviewer mounted on the ZS7:

FZ150 and ZS7 top view scaled to size

I don't see a whole lot of similarity there, obviously not "as big as" no matter how you stretch it.  The ZS fits (with or without Clearviewer) in a shirt, jacket or cargo pants pocket or small belt case, and takes little room in carry-on luggage.  None of that is so for the FZ models.  Both of these above have viewfinders, and in fact I have several times switched from my GH2 with its high-resolution well-regarded viewfinder to my Clearviewer-equipped LX5 to get a better view...the screen is larger and it's easier to see detail.  The FZ150 only has a 202k viewfinder, compared to the 460k screen on most ZS models.  Since the eye is up to the camera, with either one it's easy to follow action, unlike the extended-arm LCD-only view, where you either lose sight of the subject when lighting changes, or you can't follow smoothly because of the unstable nature of holding the camera out front.

While there are differences in image quality, due to the small sensors on the recent FZ series models, it's not all that much, and usability and control factors may be more important when making a decision...but as for size and convenience of carrying, with or without the Clearviewer on the ZS, there is just no comparison at all.

-- hide signature --
 Gary R.'s gear list:Gary R.'s gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ
kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 9,101

Both the FZ150 and FZ200 have faster lenses than the TZ30, so they'd have an advantage when shooting without flash.  The FZ200 has the added benefit of f/2.8 thoughout its zoom range.

I'd suspect the the LX7 might be a better fit for the wedding portion with its f/1.4 lens.  However, its zoom range is limited to 3.8X.  In addition to being brighter, it is also slightly wider, which could benefit landscape and interior shooting.

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more
John Beavin
John Beavin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,305

Anayv, you must have realy good eyesight or your sun is not as bright as ours is down here, and to my way of thinking it is not natural to hold a camera at arms length, though I suppose some people can get used to it.

John Beavin's gear list:John Beavin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 +1 more
Trafford
Trafford Veteran Member • Posts: 8,255

Chris62 wrote:

TZ30 is decent enough but the question is if the Sony HX20 is not better one?

I saw few comparisons and HS20's resolution was the best in this class but I did not see Samsung WB850 compared directly.The last one has zoom 21x and the fastest lens.

The sleeper of this group never gets mentioned, check out the Ricoh's.

saudidave Senior Member • Posts: 1,823

May I suggest that you buy a TZ30 with a clearviewer. If you shoot in aperture priority with the widest aperture at all times you will find the IQ to be extremely good by most peoples standards. Viewed on my 24" monitor I can't tell the difference with shots taken in reasonable daylight between the images from my TZ30 and my Canon S100, the latter of which has a larger sensor. Viewed at 100% or in low light the S100 images are better but the difference is nothing to write home about.

The clearviewer is a first class accessory that enhances the useability of a small digicam without adding a great deal to its bulk and I would highly recommend one, particularly the premium lens model.

saudidave's gear list:saudidave's gear list
Panasonic ZS200 Panasonic G85 +1 more
Ianperegian
Ianperegian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,597

I agree with you. I don't have good eyesight (I wear spectacles), I'm not young, and I live in the subtropics where the sun is very bright. Even though I bought a Clearviewer for my TZ7 I find that the LCD on my ZS20 has better visibility in bright light. I prefer to just use the LCD on my ZS20 without the Clearviewer, and that also makes the cam much more pocketable.

Ian

-- hide signature --
 Ianperegian's gear list:Ianperegian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60 Olympus PEN-F
saudidave Senior Member • Posts: 1,823

Ianperegian wrote:

I agree with you. I don't have good eyesight (I wear spectacles), I'm not young, and I live in the subtropics where the sun is very bright. Even though I bought a Clearviewer for my TZ7 I find that the LCD on my ZS20 has better visibility in bright light. I prefer to just use the LCD on my ZS20 without the Clearviewer, and that also makes the cam much more pocketable.

Ian

It's not just the visibility of the LCD that a clearviewer enhances in any level of light. It's the shooting position that I prefer. I've never been happy holding a camera out in front of me and composing with the LCD, particularly at slow shutter speeds. The clearviewer corrects that issue and allows one to shoot as if the camera had a viewfinder.

saudidave's gear list:saudidave's gear list
Panasonic ZS200 Panasonic G85 +1 more
jbwong Regular Member • Posts: 191

i doubt there is huge difference between the IQ of TZ and FZ series given the same size of the sensors and technology. The FZ200 particularly may have better and faster performance @ the tele end but other than that I would definitely recommend any TZ especially the new TZ40 with wifi, NFC, slow motion video record ability for just about 350 dollars.

The main reason why TZ is better overall because of how compact this camera is, it's a true pocketable camera that suits most of your jeans pockets, unlike FZ series that you need to carry it with a bag most of the time.

Ianperegian

I agree that the visibility of the LCD is not the only factor and that composition/framing comes into it as well. I have actually found that I prefer to compose/frame using just the LCD now.

I formerly used the EFVs on my other cams (FZ38 and others) but I have come around to deciding that using the LCD is better. It shows at a glance the whole field, unlike the Clearviewer where I had to move my eyes/head around. Also, even though used the Premium version I also found that the pixellation was a distraction when composing.

I also find using the LCD very much better for closeups with the camera at close distances from the subject.

I suppose in the end it is really a matter of preference and there's no "right or wrong" about it.

Ian

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60 Olympus PEN-F
Ianperegian

I meant to add that using the LCD at a further distance from the eye also allows you to see the context of the surroundings outside the frame.  With an EVF/Clearviewer I found that I had a "blinkered" view of what was happening outside the frame compared with using just the LCD.

Ian

-- hide signature --
OP katterina Regular Member • Posts: 247

I have managed to get the fz150 for about £270 which is quite a competive quote when the tz30 is £239. Therefore im swaying to the fz150.. Anyone think this is a good decision. I'll yake my tz5 as a back up whatever happens.

Many thanks

ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 15,677

John Beavin wrote:

Anayv, you must have realy good eyesight or your sun is not as bright as ours is down here, and to my way of thinking it is not natural to hold a camera at arms length, though I suppose some people can get used to it.

Hi John. I guess my eyes are still good, although I'm only 46.For me, at arms length, the screen is too far away to see, and the glare from the sun becomes a guessing game.However , at around 5 to 7" , arms are closer to body , and LCD is viewable.

I posted a few shots of BIF, using the LCD on my ZS20, earlier today.

ANAYV

Ianperegian

Hi Katterina,

I'm not sure if you were directing this to me but if so I'll just give my own observations and as they say "your mileage may vary".

The FZ150 was replaced by the FZ200 so it is an older model. However, some people seem to prefer the IQ of the FZ150 over the FZ200. On the other hand, the FZ150 doesn't have the constant f/2.8 aperture throughout the zoom range which others prize on the FZ200.

The other main aspects would be size and zoom range - the TZs and the FZs are really in different categories. It would be a choice of the TZ30's smaller size and being able to carry the cam in a pocket, vs the larger size but greater flexibility (more manual controls, add-on lenses, etc) and the greater zoom range of the FZ150.

I hope that may be of help in your decision making.

Ian

-- hide signature --
Tootsall
Tootsall Senior Member • Posts: 1,561

I think you'll find the FZ150 (should you end up with it) to be a very pleasant surprise.  If you haven't already read back through the history of the 150, maybe consider doing so.  If not then you might consider setting your sharpness to +1 and your noise reduction to -2 before you even begin.  Otherwise, "Have at it"!

-- hide signature --

"Kites rise highest against the wind - not with it." - Winston Churchill
(Ed)

Tootsall's gear list:Tootsall's gear list
Nikon D7200
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads