how to respond when asked "why don't you get a DSLR?"

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions
botw Regular Member • Posts: 284
Re: how to respond when asked "why don't you get a DSLR?"

Ralph46 wrote:

Just thought of a simpler answer.

Just say that the DSLR is like a Nikon F and the NEX is like a Leica M. That doesn't do justice to the versatility of the NEX but most people with even a vague knowledge of cameras will understand.

-- hide signature --

I think you are a little optimistic about what sort of camera knowledge people have. 

As for many others, dslrs - at least the nice ones - still have many advantages over mirrorless camera.  Mirrorless cameras' main advantage over them is size, which is not an insubstantial advantage.  In the end, this is a complex question and one I wouldn't get into unless you had a real desire and willingness to discuss with the person.

botw's gear list:botw's gear list
Sony a6000 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +9 more
kev777zero
OP kev777zero Senior Member • Posts: 1,557

botw wrote:

Ralph46 wrote:

Just say that the DSLR is like a Nikon F and the NEX is like a Leica M. That doesn't do justice to the versatility of the NEX but most people with even a vague knowledge of cameras will understand.

-- hide signature --

I think you are a little optimistic about what sort of camera knowledge people have.

As for many others, dslrs - at least the nice ones - still have many advantages over mirrorless camera. Mirrorless cameras' main advantage over them is size, which is not an insubstantial advantage. In the end, this is a complex question and one I wouldn't get into unless you had a real desire and willingness to discuss with the person.

I think when people ask me the question it isn't about a comparison btwn DSLRs and mirrorless camera. While mirrorless cameras is a fast growing field, the vast majority out there probably has no idea what it is. So whether someone not into photography or a DSLR user, they may not know about mirrorless cameras at all and may think of NEX as just some P&S compact camera.

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony RX100 III +4 more
chillzatl Regular Member • Posts: 431

I just say that it's as good as most DSLR's and I don't have to lug around a big ole camera and bag of gear. I'd sacrifice some quality for the convenience, but I don't have to. I go out with friends who bring their nice DSLR's and they have to bring a bag and lug it around all night. I can fit my nex, an extra battery and a ping pong ball flash diffuser in my jacket pocket and at the end of the night take as good if not better pics.

wblink
wblink Regular Member • Posts: 229

kev777zero wrote:

being a 2+yr mirrorless shooter (and never used a DSLR), I often get comments like "nice photos, why don't you get a DSLR?" Sometimes I try explaining the sensor equivalence to most DSLRs therefore similar image quality (and then I get the "huh?" look), while other times I just get lazy and say DSLRs are too big. What might be the most sensible & informative way of explaining myself?

Tell them they are nuts to cary all that heavy gear with minimom better perfomance.

-- hide signature --

Willem.
Sony NEX-6

wblink's gear list:wblink's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 +1 more
goetz48 Senior Member • Posts: 2,607
Yery simple:

I have some of them.

goetz48's gear list:goetz48's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
Ara1 Regular Member • Posts: 166

My answer:

"Well I wanted to buy a DSLR. They were too expensive and for my money, the performance wasn't as good as what the reviewers were saying about the NEX-5N."

Ara1's gear list:Ara1's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha a7R Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 11,403
Re: Yery simple:

goetz48 wrote:

I have some of them.

Or, I used to have some of them.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II +36 more
kaku Contributing Member • Posts: 630

chillzatl wrote:

I just say that it's as good as most DSLR's and I don't have to lug around a big ole camera and bag of gear. I'd sacrifice some quality for the convenience, but I don't have to. I go out with friends who bring their nice DSLR's and they have to bring a bag and lug it around all night. I can fit my nex, an extra battery and a ping pong ball flash diffuser in my jacket pocket and at the end of the night take as good if not better pics.

I don't get this reasoning.  Why must people equate DSLRs with having a NEED to always lug around a bag of gear?  Certainly, DSLR users could easily lug just the camera (with a good pair of glass) and an extra battery as well.  If anything, DSLRs still have the legs up in quality of (non-manual) lens.

Also, given the fact that the NEX *is* an ILC, you could also say that NEX users could be lugging around a bag full of gear as well.

zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 28,597

Honestly I've never had that question.  My typical reactions received when shooting with the NEX vary between the following:

1. They completely ignore me and take no notice of the camera at all - 80%

2. They ask what camera it is - I tell them Sony NEX - and that's all they really wanted to know - 10%

3. They ask what camera it is - I tell them Sony NEX, they ask which model, how do I like it, or want to know more about it.  Some are surprised to find out the lenses are interchangeable, others already know.  Some are surprised when they find out the sensor is APS-C, others already know.  Most want to know how it focuses, the quality, whether it can handle high ISO, what the EVF looks like to shoot with, etc. - 10%.

Most of the folks that are in any way interested or ask about the camera seem to have heard of it somehow - and want to know more about it.  Some of those folks have seen me shooting with a DSLR, so some already know I have one - that might be the reason they don't ask such a question.  Others are interested in going through all the details about the NEX, and never ask me about how it compares to a DSLR - usually I end up volunteering that I also shoot with a DSLR - it's useful in conversation to explain the camera, because I can tell them 'I also shoot with a DSLR, and I can get the same quality with much more convenience out of this NEX, and can shoot about 90% of the same stuff just as well...but it's so much lighter and more portable even as a kit.'  Sometimes I have my DSLR with me too, so I can give them a visual comparison - two cameras with the identical sensor, but one so much smaller and lighter than the other - I can fit my NEX body and 7 lenses in 1/3 the footprint of my DSLR and 7 lenses, and easily 1/3 the weight.

The most I've been asked in relation to DSLRs is 'So why do I keep the DSLR when the NEX is just as good', so I explain the superior ergonomics and controls for action/wildlife shooting, as well as the advantages I get out of an optical viewfinder, larger buffer, much higher battery life, and better control with long lenses handheld, when shooting birds in flight, panning and tracking, etc.  I explain that I can also shoot much of this stuff with the NEX, but it's not quite as easy, not quite as ergonomic, and runs into limitations like the buffer size and panning stagger - so for me, it's still best to keep both systems in my arsenal as very good compliments to eachother.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony SLT-A68 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +22 more
blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 11,403

kev777zero wrote:

botw wrote:

Ralph46 wrote:

-- hide signature --

As for many others, dslrs - at least the nice ones - still have many advantages over mirrorless camera. Mirrorless cameras' main advantage over them is size, which is not an insubstantial advantage. In the end, this is a complex question and one I wouldn't get into unless you had a real desire and willingness to discuss with the person.

I think when people ask me the question it isn't about a comparison btwn DSLRs and mirrorless camera. While mirrorless cameras is a fast growing field, the vast majority out there probably has no idea what it is. So whether someone not into photography or a DSLR user, they may not know about mirrorless cameras at all and may think of NEX as just some P&S compact camera.

You know, initially with the original 5 with some manual lens, people would go "WTH?"

I was at a graduation event, and noticed four Nex shooters side by side - I was the only one not using the kit lens.

I was at a competition event, and noticed only DSLRs users, and two professionals using FF (5dII). I think that they thought that I was just a parent using a P&S. (No Leica thinking here )

Out with DSLR shooters, I noticed that I ended up with many more pictures - the Nex is easier to get in and out of the bag, you can hold it in your hand longer, and I was trying out different lenses. Ended up with 3x the number of pictures as some of the DSLR shooters.

Last fall, on a sunny afternoon in San Francisco, I had quite a few people walk over and ask: "Is that one of those new small cameras?" Some even asked: "Is that the new Sony?"

Last thought: most people upgrade their cameras maybe only once in five years or longer. These mirrorless cameras are still very new to many. At the office, where they have a photo club, I am the only Nex shooter, all others are DSLRs.

What do I like best about the Nex? That I don't look like a pro

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II +36 more
goetz48 Senior Member • Posts: 2,607
Re: Yery simple:

No, at keast the A77 is still very active.

goetz48's gear list:goetz48's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
DtEW Senior Member • Posts: 2,449

kaku wrote:

Also, given the fact that the NEX *is* an ILC, you could also say that NEX users could be lugging around a bag full of gear as well.

*raises hand and jumps up and down*

(I'm usually out-and-about with no less than 4 lenses in tow.)

The non-facetious answer is that I generally don't really care all that much what I tell people if that question comes up. It might be some weak, sub-primary reasoning one day, or even complete gobblygook when I'm having a bad day or distracted with other things at hand. It doesn't matter to me and I don't care if I seem justified or not.

And it's not because I'm so absolutely self-assured by nature. It's simply that I am often (2-4 times a month?) out with photography expeditions (usually urbex)/meets, which of course are dominated by dSLR users. There might be some curiosity at my setup from the dSLR users, but rarely "why aren't you using so-and-so" because I'm sure they get some version of the same for the Canon/Nikon rivalry.

But when the time comes to share our take, there are never any questions.

Quite simply, the NEX MILC system does not significantly constrain the way I shoot, and my results are equal to (if not better than) what my peers are getting out of their dSLRs. Quite a few in the course of meeting me for the first time have voiced shock at the fact that I'm getting the results I'm getting (which they have seen earlier in other threads) from such a relatively tiny camera.  In the last group explore thread, I was referred to as "DtEW and his damn mirrorless".

So that's why I don't care. Because the results speak for themselves.

Those are merely my experiences and with my specific shooting groups and whatever their level of expertise in the subject matter and environments we shoot in. Your results may vary.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 6D Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD +13 more
Steve1307 Regular Member • Posts: 307

kev777zero wrote:

being a 2+yr mirrorless shooter (and never used a DSLR), I often get comments like "nice photos, why don't you get a DSLR?" Sometimes I try explaining the sensor equivalence to most DSLRs therefore similar image quality (and then I get the "huh?" look), while other times I just get lazy and say DSLRs are too big. What might be the most sensible & informative way of explaining myself?

How about this series from video the NEX marketing campaign recently?  Surely you've seen these before.

Pro with a NEX takes the p**s out of clueless DSLR users filmed here in Sydney

http://www.youtube.com/user/dslrgearnoidea?feature=watch

Steve1307's gear list:Steve1307's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax Q Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +13 more
audiobomber
audiobomber Veteran Member • Posts: 5,638

Steve1307 wrote:

How about this series from video the NEX marketing campaign recently? Surely you've seen these before.

Pro with a NEX takes the p**s out of clueless DSLR users filmed here in Sydney

http://www.youtube.com/user/dslrgearnoidea?feature=watch

I watched it again, and arrived at the same conclusion as last time. He's saying that, if you're too clueless to use a DSLR, you should use a NEX. Is this really how NEX owners want to be seen?

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +19 more
audiobomber

kev777zero wrote:

How about; smaller size, similar image quality and matches my shooting style better.

People in this thread claiming superiority of MILC over DSLR, or vice versa, are not being objective. Each system has advantages, and IQ is similar for similar sensor sizes. All you can say, if you're being honest, is that the advantages of one system meets your needs better than the other.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +19 more
EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977

kev777zero wrote:

How about; smaller size, similar image quality and matches my shooting style better.

People in this thread claiming superiority of MILC over DSLR, or vice versa, are not being objective. Each system has advantages, and IQ is similar for similar sensor sizes. All you can say, if you're being honest, is that the advantages of one system meets your needs better than the other.

-- hide signature --

Dan

It would make more sense if people didn't assume MILC = smaller sensor that a DSLR. Since thus is a forum for NEX, it makes sense to work with the facts around APS-C sensors, DSLR/DSLT or NEX.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +12 more
Fredy Ross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,793
Interesting as nobody has ever asked me.

I have had a lot of tourists wanting to buy my nex when I stood and took a panorama and they were amazed at the results.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

AlbertInFrance
AlbertInFrance Senior Member • Posts: 6,849

This thread takes me back a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWlj9ZJkliA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Yo3FRPeQw

And for those too young to remember him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bailey

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.

AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
audiobomber

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

kev777zero wrote:

People in this thread claiming superiority of MILC over DSLR, or vice versa, are not being objective. Each system has advantages, and IQ is similar for similar sensor sizes. All you can say, if you're being honest, is that the advantages of one system meets your needs better than the other.

-- hide signature --

Dan

It would make more sense if people didn't assume MILC = smaller sensor that a DSLR. Since thus is a forum for NEX, it makes sense to work with the facts around APS-C sensors, DSLR/DSLT or NEX.

I said "similar image quality". What facts around APS-C sensors? NEX bodies use some of the same sensors as DSLR/DSLT.

-- hide signature --

Dan

FumbleDuck Forum Member • Posts: 86

"Because a DSLR doesnt exist that combines all of the features that are in this camera and can accept Canon lenses"

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads