Sigma 150-500 os on the D800

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions
ckiffkool Forum Member • Posts: 63
Sigma 150-500 os on the D800

Some have asked about the lens in the forum ...here are a few examples.

regards

Chris.

ckiffkool's gear list:ckiffkool's gear list
Nikon D800
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Marathon Man
Marathon Man Contributing Member • Posts: 986
Re: Sigma 150-500 os on the D800

One word. Impressive.

I have the same lens but can't produce this with my D90.

Max
maxphotoblog.net

eawtan Forum Member • Posts: 97

Here are some of my pics with the 150-500 os w/ d800

OP ckiffkool Forum Member • Posts: 63

Thanks.

ckiffkool's gear list:ckiffkool's gear list
Nikon D800
BasiliskPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,008

How are you finding the focus speed and reliability on the D800? 
I have the lens, but am underusing it on my old APS-C body, and thinking of upgrading to the D600. If anyone has any experience they would like to share I would be interested in hearing.

arizonadesertrat
arizonadesertrat Senior Member • Posts: 1,333

Nice!

I guess you guys haven't heard that you can't get a D800 to focus properly.

-- hide signature --

Fiat Lux

arizonadesertrat's gear list:arizonadesertrat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D7000 Nikon D300 Nikon D70s +12 more
eawtan Forum Member • Posts: 97

I use the "AF-ON" technique and get some good focus shots.

Taken a few hrs ago ....

andrvas Forum Member • Posts: 63

I would love to see some hi-res shots from this lens on the D800!

starman1969
starman1969 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,045

Great pictures

-- hide signature --

They are watching us......

starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Canon EOS 1000D Nikon D4 +5 more
yray
yray Senior Member • Posts: 1,606

Tried this lens once and returned it right away. Past about 400mm it was woefully soft, but even under 400 it was nothing to write home about, at least wide open or close to it. Given it is a slow lens to begin with, using it closed down was a non starter for me. The build also didn't look all that impressive, and the squeal of the OS system didn't inspire confidence either. Maybe I got a bad sample, but I guess it was bad enough to never try another one. I believe there might be better samples out there.

This actually was my single worst experience with Sigma lenses, -- and the only really bad one. On the whole, I think highly of Sigma, especially their macros and fast zooms, such as 100-300 f4 (now sadly discontinued) and 120-300 f2.8 (now in its 4th iteration, I think), -- IMO either one of these zooms would stand up to Nikon, but Nikon doesn't even make anything comparable.

By the way, the 100-300 f4 with Sigma 1.4TC makes an excellent 140-420 f5.6, and while not quite 500mm, it is miles ahead of the 150-500 (at least the copy I knew). No OS/VR though.

Duncan C Veteran Member • Posts: 7,664

Those are really good. I'm not famiilar with that lens. What is the aperture range? Is it image stabilized?

And did you shoot these handheld or on a tripod?

ckiffkool wrote:

regards

Chris.

John_I Veteran Member • Posts: 6,270

ckiffkool wrote:

regards

Chris.

Hi Chris. Thanks for posting. In its price range and with good copy it does a good job. Here are a few samples using the 150-500 OS with the D800e. Most cropped, some greatly, such as the Kingfisher shot. All hand-held.

http://jbipix.com/?s=d800e+150-500

Lately I have not used much in favor of the Nikon 70-200 VR II with TC 2.0 III

http://jbipix.com/?s=d800e+70-200+TC

-- hide signature --

John from Toronto
JBIPix Photoblog - http://jbipix.com

MrJulius New Member • Posts: 22

First attempt at uploading an image...I hope this works.

I'm very happy with this lens.

Maybe this one will work...

I'll try the gallery approach...

mawyatt1 Forum Member • Posts: 50

John_I wrote:

ckiffkool wrote:

regards

Chris.

Hi Chris. Thanks for posting. In its price range and with good copy it does a good job. Here are a few samples using the 150-500 OS with the D800e. Most cropped, some greatly, such as the Kingfisher shot. All hand-held.

http://jbipix.com/?s=d800e+150-500

Lately I have not used much in favor of the Nikon 70-200 VR II with TC 2.0 III

http://jbipix.com/?s=d800e+70-200+TC

-- hide signature --

John from Toronto
JBIPix Photoblog - http://jbipix.com

Hi John,

Nice shots with the 150-500 & D800. Did you fine tune the 150-500 on the D800?

mawyatt1 Forum Member • Posts: 50

All you folks using the Sigma 150-500 & 50-500 OS versions with the D800. Did you need to fine tune the Sigma with the D800? If, so how much correction was required.

Jim F
Jim F Senior Member • Posts: 2,562
I got my Sigma 150-500 Fine Tuned ...

Hey Gang: I don't own the D800. I have a Sigma 150-500 and a D300. I bought my Sigma in June 2012. I think I got a really good copy (serial number 126222**) (One can only conclude that there is a lot of sample variation with this lens - at least that's the opinion of many here).

While I have been happy with my copy, I recently sent it to an authorized Nikon and Sigma service center in Chandler, AZ (the Sigma under warranty). They tweaked the auto-focus on the Sigma and then fine tuned the Sigma to my D300 (not the other way around as my D300 does not have any auto focus adjustments settings turned on). My cost, including shipping - $0. It took one week total.

I think the recent service has improved my Sigma's sharpness. No, it's not going to stand up to an expensive Nikon 400 f/2.8 or other exotic. That said, for about a $1,000 I have a very acceptable long zoom. I took these pictures in October at Grand Teton NP. See pictures 14- thru 21 at http://jamesfarrell.smugmug.com/The-West-and-Southwest-Parks/Grand-Teton-National-Park and that was before getting the AF on the Sigma fine tuned. Not bad for an old fuddy-duddy amateur.

Obviously, those of you with Nikon bodies with more resolution than my ancient D300 will see things in more detail (good or bad) than I can with only 12mp. So, you'll see imperfections much more pronounced than I will. (Anxiously awaiting the imaginary, elusive D400 or whatever - might try a D5200 for kicks.)

Where I am going with this is to say that if you have the 150-500 and it's under warranty, consider getting it fine tuned. And consider getting it adjusted to the body that you have, instead of perhaps making some radical adjustments to the AF tune settings in your D800 or whatever.

And one final editorial comment, I am amused that so many folks bash this lens without really having any experience with it - just jumping on the opinion bandwagon. Sure, there are lots of reviews out there that are not flattering. (Do the reviewers have good copied?) Criticize if you must, I'm not offended. This lens takes a little effort to get anything good from it. For the money (being retired with limited resources), I'm fairly happy with it. >> Jim

http://jamesfarrell.smugmug.com/

Jim F's gear list:Jim F's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
yray
yray Senior Member • Posts: 1,606
Re: I got my Sigma 150-500 Fine Tuned ...

Jim F wrote:

Hey Gang: I don't own the D800. I have a Sigma 150-500 and a D300. I bought my Sigma in June 2012. I think I got a really good copy (serial number 126222**) (One can only conclude that there is a lot of sample variation with this lens - at least that's the opinion of many here).

While I have been happy with my copy, I recently sent it to an authorized Nikon and Sigma service center in Chandler, AZ (the Sigma under warranty). They tweaked the auto-focus on the Sigma and then fine tuned the Sigma to my D300 (not the other way around as my D300 does not have any auto focus adjustments settings turned on). My cost, including shipping - $0. It took one week total.

I think the recent service has improved my Sigma's sharpness. No, it's not going to stand up to an expensive Nikon 400 f/2.8 or other exotic. That said, for about a $1,000 I have a very acceptable long zoom. I took these pictures in October at Grand Teton NP. See pictures 14- thru 21 at http://jamesfarrell.smugmug.com/The-West-and-Southwest-Parks/Grand-Teton-National-Park and that was before getting the AF on the Sigma fine tuned. Not bad for an old fuddy-duddy amateur.

Obviously, those of you with Nikon bodies with more resolution than my ancient D300 will see things in more detail (good or bad) than I can with only 12mp. So, you'll see imperfections much more pronounced than I will. (Anxiously awaiting the imaginary, elusive D400 or whatever - might try a D5200 for kicks.)

Where I am going with this is to say that if you have the 150-500 and it's under warranty, consider getting it fine tuned. And consider getting it adjusted to the body that you have, instead of perhaps making some radical adjustments to the AF tune settings in your D800 or whatever.

And one final editorial comment, I am amused that so many folks bash this lens without really having any experience with it - just jumping on the opinion bandwagon. Sure, there are lots of reviews out there that are not flattering. (Do the reviewers have good copied?) Criticize if you must, I'm not offended. This lens takes a little effort to get anything good from it. For the money (being retired with limited resources), I'm fairly happy with it. >> Jim

http://jamesfarrell.smugmug.com/

One takeaway for everyone reading your post, lens aside, should be regard for Sigma service department. I was really impressed with the treatment I got when I once sent a lens for tune up. In my experience, they really offer a highly personalized service, talk to you and listen to you. And you get to interact with people who actually are competent in the subject matter. Compared to Nikon service, the difference is really dramatic, -- and pleasantly surprising. I at least got the sense that Sigma actually cares about its customers and stands behind its products. Kudos to them! -- One day this experience alone may tip the scales and make me buy a Sigma product rather than a comparable Nikon one.

hypercore360 Contributing Member • Posts: 961

ckiffkool wrote:

regards

Chris.

Very good! Just goes to show that it's about the abilities of the photographer.

hypercore360's gear list:hypercore360's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads