Not A Fan of Viewfinders. Am I crazy?

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions
9VIII Regular Member • Posts: 457
Re: Not A Fan of Viewfinders. Am I crazy?

Jack West wrote:

i find it difficult to keep steady with that "stinky diaper" pose

Surely if someone can't see the EVF from close up they wouldn't be able to read either.

Have you tried with glasses on?

9VIII's gear list:9VIII's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Fujifilm X-E2S Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +5 more
sigala1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,892
It's possible

KyleSlamchez wrote:

Okay, I've definitely noticed in reading camera reviews and forums that a lot of you love your viewfinders, particularly of the optical type.
Now maybe I'm a young whippersnapper who basically got started on a digital point and shoot that couldn't be bothered to have a viewfinder (a Canon S30), but I like composing with a screen. I don't see what the problem is.
Furthermore, I have a Pentax K20D with an optical viewfinder, and I suck at composing with it. I don't feel like I can see the entire scene, so even a simple photo of a room tends to come out crooked. Not only that, but because I wear glasses, I don't feel like I can get the thing comfortably up to my eye. My nose ends up mashed up against the LCD screen, one eye squinting, and it's just no fun at all.
Therefore, I prefer to use a camera with a Liveview LCD screen, because as far as composition is concerned, what you see is what you get. And I get to use it with both eyes open!
Now I understand that many screens can get washed out in bright sunlight. As far as I can tell, this is the only disadvantage. Is there something I'm missing here?
I feel like I might be out to get hammered by some old pro's, but what the heck. Bring on the hammer!

It's possible that optical viewfinders are a solution to a problem that's now solved better with LCDs. But old fogies don't get it.

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 29,228
Re: I respectfully disagree

Mark B. wrote:

I was not at all saying that using the LCD is better, never said that.

And if you've always only used glasses, you argue that using glasses isn't an obstacle to using a viewfinder. I wear glasses and also use contact lenses. Whenever I'm going to use an SLR camera, I use contact lenses. The difference is that significant. You don't know what you're missing if you've never had the chance to use a viewfinder as it was meant to be designed.

Well, you made it sound like it's an absolute that you can't wear glasses and see clearly through an optical VF. You're mistaken.

Where are you reading that?  I did not state that at all, you are insinuating or skimming over what I wrote.  It is a hell of a lot easier to use an SLR optical viewfinder without glasses.  I've used SLRs with and without glasses and without glasses is by far my choice of usage.

zenit_b Regular Member • Posts: 235
Re: You are lucky your close range vision is still good ..

Barrie Davis wrote:

... surely you simply look over the top of the camera. (shrugs)

Radical suggestion Barrie - how do you frame the image ? Do you hold your fingers out in a sort of right angle shape like Monet painting "en plein air"

zenit_b's gear list:zenit_b's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 350D Nikon D100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +22 more
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 25,858
Re: It's possible

sigala1 wrote:

KyleSlamchez wrote:

Okay, I've definitely noticed in reading camera reviews and forums that a lot of you love your viewfinders, particularly of the optical type.
Now maybe I'm a young whippersnapper who basically got started on a digital point and shoot that couldn't be bothered to have a viewfinder (a Canon S30), but I like composing with a screen. I don't see what the problem is.
Furthermore, I have a Pentax K20D with an optical viewfinder, and I suck at composing with it. I don't feel like I can see the entire scene, so even a simple photo of a room tends to come out crooked. Not only that, but because I wear glasses, I don't feel like I can get the thing comfortably up to my eye. My nose ends up mashed up against the LCD screen, one eye squinting, and it's just no fun at all.
Therefore, I prefer to use a camera with a Liveview LCD screen, because as far as composition is concerned, what you see is what you get. And I get to use it with both eyes open!
Now I understand that many screens can get washed out in bright sunlight. As far as I can tell, this is the only disadvantage. Is there something I'm missing here?
I feel like I might be out to get hammered by some old pro's, but what the heck. Bring on the hammer!

It's possible that optical viewfinders are a solution to a problem that's now solved better with LCDs. But old fogies don't get it.

Nope, LCDs are still not a substitute for quick-moving subjects - especially with long telephoto lenses.  No "old fogie" here either.

Mark

Barrie Davis
Barrie Davis Forum Pro • Posts: 21,460

zenit_b wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

Radical suggestion Barrie - how do you frame the image ? Do you hold your fingers out in a sort of right angle shape like Monet painting "en plein air"

The camera is out in front of you doing the framing. All you are doing is flicking your glance over the top to see details that may be crucial. Meanwhile the camera is STILL DOING the framing.. and, because it is still in view as you look over the top, you can see that it has not moved.

Jeeze! I am amazed that I even have to mention this! The whole idea of people NOT using over the top glances as a natural and unremarkable adjunct of arm's-length viewfinding strikes me as nothing short of extraordinary! Indeed, it is so unremarkable I wouldn't be surprised if people are doing it all the time, but just not noticing.

Take note:

1) Viewing over the top isn't for long lens use, not just because the details are so far away, but because viewfinderless cameras are generally unsuitable for long lens use.

2) Looking over the top while holding the camera is much quicker and less disruptive to picture taking than similar operations in other cameras, for instance (a) swapping from general view to using flip-up magnifier in classic waist-level reflex cameras like Hasselblad and Rollie, or (2) even taking an eyelevel camera down from the face to access menus.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Barrie Davis's gear list:Barrie Davis's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2
Jack West Senior Member • Posts: 1,144

at 65 i don't wear glasses but i mostly shoot outdoors where lcd is not good. the extra anchor point with a viewfinder is a plus as well for me.

rusticus
rusticus Contributing Member • Posts: 559

No - it's certainly no viewfinder, but in some situations a searcher is always better

rusticus's gear list:rusticus's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-5
zenit_b Regular Member • Posts: 235

Barrie Davis wrote:

zenit_b wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

The camera is out in front of you doing the framing. All you are doing is flicking your glance over the top to see details that may be crucial. Meanwhile the camera is STILL DOING the framing.. and, because it is still in view as you look over the top, you can see that it has not moved.

I dunno Barrie..I still think I would struggle with this...  you need only look at my G2 red dot sight rig to realize I need more assistance ´╗┐lining things up

zenit_b's gear list:zenit_b's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 350D Nikon D100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads