Crucial Lens/Accessories for First Trip With NEX-6 (Costa Rica)

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions
Speezy Junior Member • Posts: 37
Crucial Lens/Accessories for First Trip With NEX-6 (Costa Rica)

I've had my NEX-6 for about a month now, although I haven't had as much time to get used to it as I would like. This is my first ILC, coming from a canon sx200IS which I actually really liked when I took it to Europe 3 years ago, and still use it quite a bit. I am heading to Costa Rica for a week in April though and am trying to stock up on the essentials for the trip.

Have:

NEX-6 Body

16-50 Kit Pancake Zoom

19mm & 30mm Sigma 2.8s (on order should be here next week, jumped at the combo deal)

Gorilla Pod (dSLR Size)

LowePro AW Photosport 200 backpack

Fotodiox M-Mount adapter for manual lenses, dad has a few old m-mounts from a minolta film camera I have been playing around with but they need some R&R

So I'm wondering what else would be "must have" items for such a trip? My main things are landscapes, long exposure night shots, and candid stuff with me and the GF probably. I'm looking at the following additions:

Benro MeFoto A1350 Tripod (found online for $160)

Sony 50mm 1.8 (local, craigslist for $220?)

Circular Polarizer(s)

Neutral Density Filter(s) - For sure will see some waterfalls to shoot

Extra battery (1 or 2?)

Battery/Wall Charger

Would love a waterproof housing but that won't be happening, I have a gopro 3 black edition for the water stuff.

Missing anything? With the kit zoom, 19mm and 30mm, is the faster 50mm worth the buy? I was considering trying out the two sigma's and maybe only keeping one since both focal lengths are covered in the kit zoom, just with smaller max apertures. Would it be worthwhile to look into a bigger zoom native e-mount? The 18-200 is probably a bit too much $$ at the moment. If not a native e-mount, maybe a manual focus m-mount legacy piece that could be had at a good price for now?

Thanks

Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ray Maines
Ray Maines Veteran Member • Posts: 4,055
Re: Crucial Lens/Accessories for First Trip With NEX-6 (Costa Rica)

Speezy wrote:

I've had my NEX-6 for about a month now, although I haven't had as much time to get used to it as I would like. This is my first ILC, ... I am heading to Costa Rica for a week in April though and am trying to stock up on the essentials for the trip.

Have:

Lots and lots of stuff ...................

Depends on the scope of your trip.

If you're on a professional photography paid assignment you need all that's on your list and more, but if you (and especially if you have a girl friend / wife with you) are on a pleasure vacation you have already listed WAY too much stuff.

From your list: You need the camera and 16-50 lens, two extra batteries, one charger, a bag to put it in, maybe a Gorilla Pod (a bean bag would work), a CP filter would be nice but good luck finding any decent quality 40.5 mm filters.

You might want to think about the 55-200 mm telephoto lens and extra memory cards. Maybe an iPad to back your pictures up to would be good too. iPads are pretty cool because you can do email and simple computer stuff not related to photography that can make a vacation work better.

You've got all the stuff you really need right now. Let your CC cool off for a bit and go take some pictures.  Load up your LowPro backpack and walk around your home town and/or take public transportation as though you were a tourist for eight to ten hours and see what equipment you used, didn't use, and what equipment you wish you had.

Be sure to report back, and especially report back after the vacation with some pictures. Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +14 more
muymalestado Junior Member • Posts: 48

UV filter for lens protection ?   - won't add much weight.  Lens / camera cleaning stuff ?  The iPad, if taken, must have big memory to be useful.

sublimelobc
sublimelobc New Member • Posts: 8

I was in Costa Rica this past December, took down my Nex 7 and the 18200le , the zeiss 24, the 50mm, and the 16 w/ fisheye.  I kept the 18200 on the camera most of the time, because of it's reach advantage for things like birds and monkeys.  I love shooting landscapes, your sigma lenses will suit you well for that.  I don't have the sigma lenses, but my 24 is my favorite landscape lens. I found that just for the convenience factor, many of my landscapes were taken with my 18200.

I would recommend having a very large ziplock bag to fold up and carry around with you, if (when) rain comes quickly it is a lifesaver.

Costa Rica is much more safe for travel than other latin american destinations, but theft is common and anybody that leaves things unattended will find that out very quickly. An example of what not to do would be leaving camera gear on the beach with your towel while you jump in the water. Plan ahead and just carry your point and shoot if you think you might want to be getting in the water. (or better yet, your gopro and take it with you in the water)

The locations in Costa Rica that I enjoyed the most for taking pictures were:

Arenal Volcano (the springs resort, tabacon resort are very nice)

La Paz waterfalls

Beaches around Montezuma/Santa Teresa (the whole nicoya peninsula has great beaches)

Have fun, Pura Vida!

Here is a quick link to some of my pictures from a backpacking adventure in Corcovado in December:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151391416482704.541843.658267703&type=1&l=ddae383759

Ryan

sublimelobc's gear list:sublimelobc's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro
Carl Schofield Senior Member • Posts: 2,630

I would recommend that you take a longer lens if you have any intentions of shooting wildlife (lots of opportunities in CR).  I went on a tour last year and used a Sony NEX 5N and stabilized zoom (18-200) and it was perfect for that trip.  Here is a gallery of images captured with the NEX and zoom lens.

http://www.pbase.com/scho/costa&page=all

-- hide signature --
 Carl Schofield's gear list:Carl Schofield's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X100F Sony Alpha a7R Pentax 645Z Sony Alpha a7 II +1 more
Ray Maines
Ray Maines Veteran Member • Posts: 4,055
I Was Going To Say That, Honest...

sublimelobc wrote:

I would recommend having a very large ziplock bag to fold up and carry around with you, if (when) rain comes quickly it is a lifesaver.

Ryan

Yes! By all means, take a few one gallon zip lock bags! Humidity and moisture (read: rain) just can't be underestimated. In fact, you might want to put everything you have in separate sandwich size zip lock bags. Water + electronics = bad. Costa Rica in the spring has lots of water.

-- hide signature --

Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +14 more
davect01
davect01 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,258

You already have quite a list going.

One question.  Will you actually take all of this, it is quite a bit to haul around?

As to the zip lock bags for water proofing, they are nice, but I don't 100% trust them.  Too easy to puncture, not secure all the way.

I much prefer tougher water proof bags. They can be found on EBay, Amazon and most Sporting Goods stores.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=waterproof+bags&_sacat=0&_from=R40

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug, proud NEX-3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

OP Speezy Junior Member • Posts: 37

Excellent idea on the ziplocks/waterproof bags. I had been thinking about humidity/rain/moisture but that idea had not come up. As far as the environment goes, humidity in general, is it a fear for damaging any of the gear?

Also, won't necessarily take all the lenses, just trying to get an idea of what would be the most versatile set to have with me. Right now I'm carrying the 3 cameras (nex with the 16-50) in my backpack and it is nothing to me, so 1-2 more lenses and some batteries/filters would be no problem at all. Definitely will never leave the gadgets unattended either.

This is definitely a pleasure only trip, no professional aspects. We will also have smartphone/tablets with us for photo backup so storage space wont be an issue. Cleaning kit is also on the to-order list, and debating whether or not I want some kind of skin/case/pouch for the NEX. I will look into any potential deals I see on a longer stabilized e-mount zoom as well, its obviously something I will need at some point down the road.

Richie Beans Regular Member • Posts: 309

Better think about security for all of that gear. If nothing else, have a plan for your images after they're taken: Downloaded to hard drive? Uploaded to the cloud? What will you do if all your gear gets stolen? Consider the following option: steal-proof photobags with integrated steel mesh straps...

http://pacsafe.com/camsafe-100-anti-theft-camera-bag

Richie Beans's gear list:Richie Beans's gear list
NEX5R +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads