LX7-- Is there a wide angle add-on lens available?

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions
Barrie Davis
Barrie Davis Forum Pro • Posts: 21,460
LX7-- Is there a wide angle add-on lens available?

Is a wide-angle add-on lens available for the Panasonic LX7, like those that made the LX3 and LX5 such good wide-angle cameras? I'm talking about a high grade Panasonic one..

.. one that maintains the magnificently wide aperture at its full width (f/1.4).

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Barrie Davis's gear list:Barrie Davis's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 11,627
Re: LX7-- Is there a wide angle add-on lens available?

Nice discussion of a Kiwi body-mounted adapter here - and it includes some discussion of W/A lenses.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3369255

Sherm

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000
Barrie Davis
OP Barrie Davis Forum Pro • Posts: 21,460

sherman_levine wrote:

Nice discussion of a Kiwi body-mounted adapter here - and it includes some discussion of W/A lenses.

Thank you.

But no Panny wide-angle add-on, specifically designed for the lens of the LX7... not as yet?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz

Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2
privateman
privateman Contributing Member • Posts: 702

sherman_levine wrote:

Sherm, again you are fast.

My recommendation there was

>>Go for the Olympus WA converters, they are great on the LX7: B-28, WCON-08 or WCON-08B.

and I'd like to add the One-lens-W/A Digital King DSW-07 (0.7x), which is very close to the Olympus converters, but starting from f/2.0, whereas the Olys are sharp at f/1.4!

privateman's gear list:privateman's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
privateman
privateman Contributing Member • Posts: 702

Barrie Davis wrote:

Thank you.

But no Panny wide-angle add-on, specifically designed for the lens of the LX7... not as yet?

I guess there will never be any, since Panasonic does not offer any adapter tube system like for the former cameras.

privateman's gear list:privateman's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 11,627

privateman wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

Thank you.

I guess there will never be any, since Panasonic does not offer any adapter tube system like for the former cameras.

Is  "specifically designed" really relevant for the extenders?

Sherm

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000
William Ing Contributing Member • Posts: 628

From firsthand experience, I can assure you that the Konica Minolta ACW 100 wideangle lens converter works very, very well at f/1.4 with the LX-7. As I mentioned on an adjacent thread started earlier by privateman, you will need a Kiwi BP211 lens adapter and a 52-49mm step down ring to complete the rig. And yes, you should be able to use screw on 52mm filters with the Kiwi adapter tube.

Please see my latest remarks on the aforementioned thread concerning approx. price and availability of the KM ACW 100.

Barrie Davis
OP Barrie Davis Forum Pro • Posts: 21,460

sherman_levine wrote:

privateman wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

Thank you.

I guess there will never be any, since Panasonic does not offer any adaptor tube system like for the former cameras.

Thank you for that information, privateman.

Is "specifically designed" really relevant for the extenders?

Yes. All supplementary optics are best designed for the precise exit angles of light rays they are meant to receive or deliver, exactly the same as any/all other lens elements in a multi element lens.

This is not to say that you can't get lucky with some other makers of high grade adaptors, getting a combined performance that is at least similar.

But that may not happen when a W/A or tele adaptor is fitted to a lens of different spec than the one it was designed for, even if the adaptor IS a high grade one. The only way to be certain is to perform tests.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz

Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2
PhilSouth
PhilSouth Regular Member • Posts: 135

William Ing wrote:

From firsthand experience, I can assure you that the Konica Minolta ACW 100 wideangle lens converter works very, very well at f/1.4 with the LX-7. As I mentioned on an adjacent thread started earlier by privateman, you will need a Kiwi BP211 lens adapter and a 52-49mm step down ring to complete the rig. And yes, you should be able to use screw on 52mm filters with the Kiwi adapter tube.

Please see my latest remarks on the aforementioned thread concerning approx. price and availability of the KM ACW 100.

Wow - William is correct as usual! I just received the ACW-100 lens for my LX7 and am very pleased with the results. There seems to be very little distortion or bluriness (actually none hat I can see), and there is no vignetting or noticeable problems. I LOVE it. Here are out-of-camera samples to try and figure out the angle of view. Please note, I made no effort to get exposure right -- was just for approximate (CAD put the dimensions - eyeballed the rest) measurements on a cloudy day. All (I think) are at 1.4 and "24mm" and 16:9 aspect.

Unaided LX7 at 24mm and 1.4 in 16:9 aspect

Same subject and camera position with KM ACW 100 attached

My UNscientific measurements

I like it. This will really help with interior and architectural photos. THANK YOU to William and all who recommended this lens for the LX7.

Phil

Mike FL Forum Member • Posts: 56

Thank you Phil for post the samples, and I have few questions:

1. If I accidently extend/zoom the LX7 lens all the way to 90mm, will LX7’s Lens hits ACW-100’s real end glass?

2. With Kiwi tube and 52mm-49mm step ring on without ACW-100, is there any vignetting while you zooms out from 24mm to 30mm (with max aperture)? Because I see the LX7’s lens retrieves while zoom from 24mm to 30mm.

3. What kind of the lens cap we use if I take off the ACW-100 but leave the Kiwi tube and 52mm/49mm Step down ring on?

Thanks,

Mike

Cyril Catt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,920

The Panasonic DMW-LWA52 optional accessory lens made for the LX5 also works on the LX7

LX7 with DMW-LWA52

LX7 without DMW-LWA52

-- hide signature --

Cyril

John Rushton Regular Member • Posts: 356

HI Cyril,

Please tell me which mounting tube you have used to mount the Panasonic wide angle lens converter onto the LX7.

I wish to do this too, with out any damage of course.

I already have the Panasonic DMW - LWA 52 wide converter lens for the LX5 complete with the correct Panasonic DMW - LA6 mounting tube for the LX5. Can I use this lens plus adapter on the LX7 without damaging anything.

Best Wishes,

John

John Rushton wrote: HI Cyril,

Please tell me which mounting tube you have used to mount the Panasonic wide angle lens converter onto the LX7.

I wish to do this too, with out any damage of course.

I already have the Panasonic DMW - LWA 52 wide converter lens for the LX5 complete with the correct Panasonic DMW - LA6 mounting tube for the LX5. Can I use this lens plus adapter on the LX7 without damaging anything.

Best Wishes, John

Hi John, Sorry about the delay in replying to your query, but I live in Australia, and have just woken up!

I presume you are referring to the thread started by Hendrik van Roekel on 3 Jan 2013 <http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50588734>, or the one started by privateman on 18 Jan 2013 <http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3369255>. Those threads cover a lot of detail about fitting lenses to the LX7.

I started with an LX3 and was delighted with its Panasonic 18 mm wide angle accessory lens, but did not upgrade to the LX5. So I don’t know if the LX5 mounting tube fits to the camera with a screw thread, or with a bayonet fitting, which is what the LX7 has - the LX5 manual doesn’t seem to mention that detail, so I cannot say if the DMW-LWA52 will fit the LX7!

The mounting tube I have is the “Lens / Filter Black Adapter Ring 52mm For Panasonic LX7 & Leica D-Lux6 Camera”, made by KIWIfotos in China, labelled “LA-52LX7 BP211”, bought from A&R PHOTO VIDEO INC. for $14.90 USD on 24 Feb 2013.

It has the 52 mm screw thread to fit the Panasonic DMW-LWA52 accessory lens for the LX5, and a bayonet fitting which attaches to the LX7’s bayonet fitting surrounding the lens base - after removal of a covering bezel.

The bezel is difficult to remove. because of its size and shape, I find it necessary to curve the edge of my right forefinger against about a third of the bezel, in order to get enough grip, whilst pushing the finger towards the camera and holding the back of the camera firmly in my left hand to counteract the right hand push.

Likewise, I found the mounting tube required a very strong clockwise turn to fit on. Initially, I turned the tube and lens clockwise as strongly as I dared - only to have them fall off whilst photographing (luckily, sustaining only a small scratch on the side of the lens!). That gave me the determination to twist it really hard onto the camera, and finally felt a satisfying click as it locked home.

Best regards

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Hi Cyril,

Will F1.4 cause any vignetting (as the sample of LX7/DMW-LWA52 is F2.8)?

Thanks,

Mike

John Rushton Regular Member • Posts: 356

Hi Cyril,

Thank you for describing your set up in such detail. I am pleased that your set up works well for you.

I already have the LX5 camera, the correct Panasonic mounting tube and the correct Panasonic wide angle lens for this camera and they work well.

I am contemplating buying an LX7 camera but I would like to be able to use the wide angle lens and mounting tube from the LX5 on the LX7.

I have looked through many threads but no one seems to have a definite answer to my specific question. I would have thought that some one would have a definite answer for me  as other LX5 owners must have contemplated this arrangement.

Best Wishes,
John

Mike FL wrote: Hi Cyril, Will F1.4 cause any vignetting (as the sample of LX7/DMW-LWA52 is F2.8)?

Thanks, Mike

Mike, so far as I can see, there is little or no vignetting using the DMW-LWA52 lens and KIWIfotos LA-52LX7 BP211 attachment tube on the LX7. However, as with just about every lens, there is less sharpness at the corners, than in the centre of the photo.

The DMW-LWA52 also gives some barrel distortion. This is not particularly noticeable on general landscape subjects, but is apparent on subjects which include straight lines. However it can be greatly reduced by using the SilkyPix software that comes with the camera, or by using other suitable applications. Unfortunately, SilkyPix Developer Studio Pro 5E has apparently not yet been updated to work with Macintosh OS 10.9.1, although SilkyPix Developer Studio 3.1SE appears unaffected.

I am attaching some handheld OOC images in 1:1 and 16:9 formats, along with copies of the images straightened with SilkyPix Developer Studio 3.1SE. I claim absolutely no expertise in post processing, but perhaps a lurker with greater experience will correct any errors in my above comments.

DMW-LWA52 lens and KIWIfotos LA-52LX7 BP211 at 1:1 OOC

DMW-LWA52 lens and KIWIfotos LA-52LX7 BP211 at 1:1 corrected with SilkyPix 3.1SE

DMW-LWA52 lens and KIWIfotos LA-52LX7 BP211 at 16:9 OOC

DMW-LWA52 lens and KIWIfotos LA-52LX7 BP211 at 16:9 corrected with SilkyPix 3.1SE

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Thanks, Cyril.

Elaka Farmor Contributing Member • Posts: 573

William Ing wrote:

From firsthand experience, I can assure you that the Konica Minolta ACW 100 wideangle lens converter works very, very well at f/1.4 with the LX-7.

f1.4 = means that you do not need to zoom in anything? I want it for video

Elaka Farmor's gear list:Elaka Farmor's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Canon EOS 60D +14 more
William Ing Contributing Member • Posts: 628

Elaka Farmor wrote:

William Ing wrote:

From firsthand experience, I can assure you that the Konica Minolta ACW 100 wideangle lens converter works very, very well at f/1.4 with the LX-7.

f1.4 = means that you do not need to zoom in anything? I want it for video

You apparently misunderstand me. The f/1.4 refers to the full aperture of the LX-7 lens at the 24mm setting. If you close down to, say, f/2.8 or 4, the overall sharpnessof the lens + ACW 100 converter is even more impressive.

Yes, you can do LIMITED zooming with the ACW 100, but probably not beyond the 28mm setting.

And yes, if I understand your question correctly, there's no reason you could not do ultrawide video shots (i.e., 19 mm effective focal length) with this rig.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads