Simple OMD versus GH3.

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Aleo Veuliah
Aleo Veuliah MOD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,628
Simple OMD versus GH3.
4

Found this, don't know if it was already posted, but I liked the simple comparison and the samples. It is not a deep comparison but it is good enough to decide on each we like or need better.

Click here to open the OMD versus GH3 comparison

I think the IQ is very similar, the big differences is on the color output that OMD have a bit more appeal than on the result, but GH3 colors to me are more neutral and accurate at least with the settings done on the comparison, and on the GH3 video, that is better.

Really good to have these two superb cameras on the Micro 4/3 System. And the beauty is that we have a very good range of native system lenses with high IQ in general, at good prices. And the possibilities of an never ending range of choices on legacy lenses.

Seeing this two side by side and knowing the features of both, gives more will to buy both as a professional system.


The argument size is well showed here.




-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
God always take the simplest way.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

 Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Photo Grapher
Photo Grapher Regular Member • Posts: 353
Re: Simple OMD versus GH3.
1

I felt the same on seeing these two side by side.

Maybe one day I will have both.

I had not seen this comparison before, thanks.

-- hide signature --

Perfection is achieved, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away
The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention

 Photo Grapher's gear list:Photo Grapher's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
Aleo Veuliah
Aleo Veuliah OP MOD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,628
Re: Simple OMD versus GH3.
1

Photo Grapher wrote:

I felt the same on seeing these two side by side.

Maybe one day I will have both.

I had not seen this comparison before, thanks.

-- hide signature --

Perfection is achieved, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away
The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention

Yes, I am having a consumer "fever", I am already seeing prices and where to buy better. But is only a bit of dreaming for now.


-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
God always take the simplest way.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

 Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Aleo Veuliah OP MOD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,628
Re: About the sensors.
1

The sensor are not the same I think, (I was told by a Panasonic Lumix guy that are not equal.) look at the different low ISO.

Panasonic Lumix GH3

  • GH3 ISO range (extended to 125 + 25600)ISO 
  • OMD range (Lowest ISO200) 

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
God always take the simplest way.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

 Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 12,110
What are you trying to say?

If you're trying to understand why the E-M5 has garnered so much attention vs the GH3, I think this thread covers that:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50728737

The GH3 has a "Been there, done that twice before" history, so it's not going to garner as much attention as the E-M5 has gotten as a totally new product.

dgnelson Contributing Member • Posts: 818
Re: Simple OMD versus GH3.
3

It would be a fairer comparison if both cameras had the same lens fitted.

Dan

ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001
Re: Simple OMD versus GH3.
2

Having standard connections on the GH-3 is great, PC connection for strobes, standard connection for external mic.

If you came from a SLR or DSLR sure the GH-3 is the size but the weight is still less. Going from the GF-1 to the GX-1 right away you notice the better grip and it looks like the same, the OMD looks more challenging or not as comfortable as the GH-3.

The GH-3 is the first camera I am not using with a permanent camera strap that is how comfortable it is. I do have a Black Rapid strap for the GH-3 that can be attached and removed quickly.  Shooting video is nice to get that strap out of the way especially if you have other cables plugged into the camera.

For that once off need having a built in flash is nice that is what also makes the GH-3 taller. Sure get rid of the flash on the GH-3 and make the grip smaller its an OMD size camera.

Boris
Boris Veteran Member • Posts: 9,257
Re: Simple OMD versus GH3.
2

Size wise I think Panasonic is going the wrong direction...the next generation will be even larger? The main reason for me to buy into m4/3 was size....I wish they would make M4/3 smaller not bigger.

 Boris's gear list:Boris's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II +40 more
Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 12,110
None of the reviewers can agree on the sensors...

The link posted in the OP says the sensors on both cameras are "Live MOS" which is Panasonic's NMOS sensor technology.

But DPReview says that both cameras are CMOS which is Sony's sensor technology.

Who's right?

Then again many keep referring to the OLED screen as "the LCD."

Aleo Veuliah
Aleo Veuliah OP MOD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,628
Re: None of the reviewers can agree on the sensors...

Mike_PEAT wrote:

The link posted in the OP says the sensors on both cameras are "Live MOS" which is Panasonic's NMOS sensor technology.

But DPReview says that both cameras are CMOS which is Sony's sensor technology.

Who's right?

Then again many keep referring to the OLED screen as "the LCD."

I think the reason is that Live MOS is a licensed name that can be used with any sensor brand. It is just a name.

Initially Live MOS sensors were hybrid, using CCD and CMOS features. Don't know how is now, but they may have changed for CMOS only.


-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
God always take the simplest way.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

 Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Aleo Veuliah OP MOD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,628
Re: I guess you are right.
1

Mike_PEAT wrote:

If you're trying to understand why the E-M5 has garnered so much attention vs the GH3, I think this thread covers that:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50728737

The GH3 has a "Been there, done that twice before" history, so it's not going to garner as much attention as the E-M5 has gotten as a totally new product.

I guess you are right, the GH3 will have not the same attention the OMD got, at on the forums and sites. The OMD was the first pro and showing good results. It is a kind like the first Micro 4/3 camera the Panasonic Lumix G1. And thank you for the thread.


-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
God always take the simplest way.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

 Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Aleo Veuliah OP MOD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,628
Re: Simple OMD versus GH3.

dgnelson wrote:

It would be a fairer comparison if both cameras had the same lens fitted.

Dan

True, I noticed that.


-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
God always take the simplest way.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

 Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Aleo Veuliah OP MOD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,628
Re: Simple OMD versus GH3.
1

ryan2007 wrote:

Having standard connections on the GH-3 is great, PC connection for strobes, standard connection for external mic.

If you came from a SLR or DSLR sure the GH-3 is the size but the weight is still less. Going from the GF-1 to the GX-1 right away you notice the better grip and it looks like the same, the OMD looks more challenging or not as comfortable as the GH-3.

The GH-3 is the first camera I am not using with a permanent camera strap that is how comfortable it is. I do have a Black Rapid strap for the GH-3 that can be attached and removed quickly. Shooting video is nice to get that strap out of the way especially if you have other cables plugged into the camera.

Yes, the first thing I noticed on the GH3 was the superb ergonomics and many Fn buttons.

Both have their strong points.

For that once off need having a built in flash is nice that is what also makes the GH-3 taller. Sure get rid of the flash on the GH-3 and make the grip smaller its an OMD size camera.


-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
God always take the simplest way.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

 Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Aleo Veuliah OP MOD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,628
Re: Simple OMD versus GH3.

Boris wrote:

Size wise I think Panasonic is going the wrong direction...the next generation will be even larger? The main reason for me to buy into m4/3 was size....I wish they would make M4/3 smaller not bigger.

Good image to see that. The GH3 is almost the size of a good DSLR. For some this will be a plus, depends on personal taste.


-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
God always take the simplest way.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

 Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
paultakeda Senior Member • Posts: 1,782
WiFi should be Wireless, and there you have the PenPal.

The PenPal has been pretty useful, considering it's sort of a gimmick and a bit of a dodo bird in the tree of tech, but it's still a wireless feature via AP2 and since they mention the port for the mic the PenPal deserves a note.

But wow... that GH3 looks huge when side by side, and it's not even all that big a body!

idiotekniQues
idiotekniQues Senior Member • Posts: 1,255
click the link, they show them both with no lens attached
1
-- hide signature --

www.pixelsquish.com

 idiotekniQues's gear list:idiotekniQues's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +2 more
Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 12,110
NMOS is a type of MOS semiconductor..

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Mike_PEAT wrote:

The link posted in the OP says the sensors on both cameras are "Live MOS" which is Panasonic's NMOS sensor technology.

But DPReview says that both cameras are CMOS which is Sony's sensor technology.

Who's right?

Then again many keep referring to the OLED screen as "the LCD."

I think the reason is that Live MOS is a licensed name that can be used with any sensor brand. It is just a name.

Initially Live MOS sensors were hybrid, using CCD and CMOS features. Don't know how is now, but they may have changed for CMOS only.

Yes, Live MOS is the licensed name, but the technology is NMOS or N-type Metal Oxide Semiconductor (CMOS is Complimentary MOS, and there's also P-type MOS or PMOS electronics out there).

NMOS sensors had the (then) quality of CCD with telower power consumption of CMOS. Of couse today manufacturers have learned how to overcome the natural inherant noise of CMOS.


micksh6
micksh6 Senior Member • Posts: 2,612
Re: Simple OMD versus GH3.

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Found this, don't know if it was already posted, but I liked the simple comparison and the samples. It is not a deep comparison but it is good enough to decide on each we like or need better.

Click here to open the OMD versus GH3 comparison

Of course it has been posted:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50046659
You are 3 months late with this thread. Just as GH3 was 9 months late coming with image quality close to OM-D.

 micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
jwg63 Regular Member • Posts: 223
Re: Simple OMD versus GH3.
1

Boris wrote:

Size wise I think Panasonic is going the wrong direction...the next generation will be even larger?

Doubtful.  They made it larger to be more comfortable in the hand.  As long as people's hands don't suddenly get larger, I think the GH3 is as big as they need it to be.

The main reason for me to buy into m4/3 was size....I wish they would make M4/3 smaller not bigger.

Well, there are three smaller camera lines (G, GX and GF), and that's just counting Panasonic.

-- hide signature --

Joe

Aleo Veuliah
Aleo Veuliah OP MOD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,628
Re: Simple OMD versus GH3.

micksh6 wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Found this, don't know if it was already posted, but I liked the simple comparison and the samples. It is not a deep comparison but it is good enough to decide on each we like or need better.

Click here to open the OMD versus GH3 comparison

Of course it has been posted:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50046659
You are 3 months late with this thread. Just as GH3 was 9 months late coming with image quality close to OM-D.

Oh. But now we know more about the cameras.


-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
God always take the simplest way.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

 Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads