Sony needs a 1" Interchangeable lens camera Locked

Started Jan 24, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Undah Veteran Member • Posts: 5,330
Sony needs a 1" Interchangeable lens camera

Sony needs a 1" sensor cam, something like the Nikon V1 but for Sony.

Why even bring this up?

While the NEX series of cams are groundbreaking, marvels of engineering, and whatever else you want to call them, there is nothing about them that would make me leave my A57 at home - the body may be smaller but the lenses are still large because of the APS-C sensor.

They need a small body cam, with the RX100 sensor, something with super-fast focus (like the Nikon V1), and the advantage of interchangeable lenses.

Another advantage, and why I want one, is when you want reach, think about hooking up this theoretical 2.7x crop cam to something like the 70-300G.. that's 810mm, on tap, when you want it!

I don't even think this will kill NEX sales, it would compliment!  Come on Sony!

Nikon 1 V1 Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Amateur Sony Shooter Veteran Member • Posts: 5,433
Re: Sony needs a 1" Interchangeable lens camera

Would you still get auto focus bu then? What about Steady Shot?

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x +6 more
rithex Forum Member • Posts: 88

Sony already has 2 mounts they don't release enough lenses for....we don't need a 3rd

Almazar80 Senior Member • Posts: 1,048

I don't think it's a good idea to have a third mount for Sony to support.  Only my opinion, of course.

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,903
Re: Sony needs a 1" Interchangeable lens camera like a hole in the head

Undah wrote:

While the NEX series of cams are groundbreaking, marvels of engineering, and whatever else you want to call them, there is nothing about them that would make me leave my A57 at home - the body may be smaller but the lenses are still large because of the APS-C sensor.

They need a small body cam, with the RX100 sensor, something with super-fast focus (like the Nikon V1), and the advantage of interchangeable lenses.

Oh? From DPR's review of the V1:

"Despite the comparatively small size of its sensor, the V1 is amongst the bulkiest compact interchangeable lens system cameras that I've used. It is no surprise that the V1 is bigger than the genuinely compact Pentax Q, but what is very obvious when the camera is directly compared to its competition is how much chunkier it feels compared to larger-format competitors like the Olympus E-PL3 / E-PM1 and Sony NEX-C3."

OP Undah Veteran Member • Posts: 5,330

sybersitizen wrote:

Undah wrote:

"Despite the comparatively small size of its sensor, the V1 is amongst the bulkiest compact interchangeable lens system cameras that I've used. It is no surprise that the V1 is bigger than the genuinely compact Pentax Q, but what is very obvious when the camera is directly compared to its competition is how much chunkier it feels compared to larger-format competitors like the Olympus E-PL3 / E-PM1 and Sony NEX-C3."

Is this somehow pertinent?

Amateur Sony Shooter wrote:

Would you still get auto focus bu then? What about Steady Shot?

You should get both. Isn't that how it works now with the nex and a-mount lenses?

rithex wrote:

Sony already has 2 mounts they don't release enough lenses for....we don't need a 3rd

That's a good argument against it. I'd get one just to get 2.7x with my current a-mount lenses!

Undah wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Undah wrote:

I believe so. They are saying that the camera is larger, not smaller, than the NEX-C3. They also say it's not any smaller than the NEX-7. I don't know how much smaller the V1 lenses are. It appears that some of them are smaller than NEX lenses, and some of them are larger. The difference does not appear to be dramatic enough to attract attention.

If what you really want is a new focusing system like the V1, then that's something different.

Amateur Sony Shooter Veteran Member • Posts: 5,433

sybersitizen wrote:

Undah wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Undah wrote:

I believe so. They are saying that the camera is larger, not smaller, than the NEX-C3. They also say it's not any smaller than the NEX-7. I don't know how much smaller the V1 lenses are. It appears that some of them are smaller than NEX lenses, and some of them are larger. The difference does not appear to be dramatic enough to attract attention.

If what you really want is a new focusing system like the V1, then that's something different.

I think OP wants bigger crop factor. For example if you have 300/2.8 lens, once you mount it on V1 it suddenly become 810/2.8 "effective reach". Of course the sensor in V1 is not too good but what if they use Sony RX100 sensor, you will have excellent 20MP resolution and decent image up to ISO 800. That will appeal to wildlife shooter on lightweight (and budget). In that case the size of such camera is less important compare to the size of big lens.

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x +6 more
TrojMacReady
TrojMacReady Veteran Member • Posts: 8,729

In the end it's mostly the pixeldensity that helps "reach", rather than cropfactor. For example, a NEX 7 with a 135mm lens already has a greater enlargement of the subject when cropping the center 10MP of the frame, than a V1 at 110mm (at its full 10 MP).

I believe so. They are saying that the camera is larger, not smaller, than the NEX-C3. They also say it's not any smaller than the NEX-7. I don't know how much smaller the V1 lenses are. It appears that some of them are smaller than NEX lenses, and some of them are larger. The difference does not appear to be dramatic enough to attract attention.

The v1 lenses are significantly smaller.

As for size.. clearly the body can be smaller, sony has already done it!  The rx100 houses the same size 1" sensor as the v1.

And finally, yes,focus speed and accuracy of v1.

But really, you're missing the point.

And that is Zoom.  (2.7x)

EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977

Undah wrote:

As for size.. clearly the body can be smaller, sony has already done it! The rx100 houses the same size 1" sensor as the v1.

And finally, yes,focus speed and accuracy of v1.

When you've got DOF, you've less to worry about speed and accuracy. That doesn't necessarily translate into interesting images, however.

1" is better suited to compacts like RX100. No point throwing resources there only to shift focus away from APS-C and larger sensors.

-- hide signature --

Sony A55, Sony NEX-3, Sony F828

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +12 more

Undah wrote:

Significant is a tough term to pin down.

As for size.. clearly the body can be smaller, sony has already done it! The rx100 houses the same size 1" sensor as the v1.

And Sony's NEX lenses could also be smaller - without a format change - if they wanted them to be.

And finally, yes, focus speed and accuracy of v1.

That's what brand differentiation is all about. Nikon wants you!

But really, you're missing the point.

And that is Zoom. (2.7x)

I really did miss that point in your original post. So that's why you want a small, dense sensor. Well, I get good reach, close to 400mm equivalent, from my HX9V... and also nice 24mm equivalent. The camera totally slips into my pocket and I don't even need to change lenses. But wake me up when Sony builds your format and I'll check it out.

tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 4,605

I have the V1, I was surprised at how big it is.  Without an internal flash, I have to keep the external flash with me at all times, adding to the bulk.

IMO, I would rather have the RX100, over the V1.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 16mm F2.8 Fisheye +10 more
dlkeller Veteran Member • Posts: 6,922
Couldn't Agree More

IMHO Sony added one mount too many already with the introduction of the NEX line and we sure don't need another one further dividin Sony's developmental efforts.

-- hide signature --

Dave

amolmd2011 Junior Member • Posts: 34

Undah wrote:

Why even bring this up?

Agreed.

To me advantage of interchangeable lenses is nil for smaller body cams, as u need to change/keep all ur lenses altogether which makes things ultimately cumbersome.

Another advantage, and why I want one, is when you want reach, think about hooking up this theoretical 2.7x crop cam to something like the 70-300G.. that's 810mm, on tap, when you want it!

Instead what I would like Sony to do is create 1/1.7'' sensor (a la x-trans similar) with 12mp & create single lens solution that provides F1.8 over wider end (25-100mm) & ~ F2.8/3.5 over longer zoom (150-400) with PDAF capable sensor .

I don't even think this will kill NEX sales, it would compliment! Come on Sony!

Come on Sony!!

amolmd2011's gear list:amolmd2011's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix E550 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15
BruinBlue Regular Member • Posts: 107
I don't understand why Sony has to make it

Undah wrote:

Why even bring this up?

It's a serious question, why not buy a Nikon 1 if it fits your backup camera needs? Does all your gear have to be Sony? With lens size being a concern, you probably wouldn't reuse your A-mount lens on a 1" Sony system anyway. So what advantage would there be to having both camera made by Sony?

When my 5D got annoying to lug around, I didn't wait for Canon to go mirrorless, I bought an NEX-5 and then NEX-7.

BruinBlue's gear list:BruinBlue's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Sony a6500 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
Sonyshine
Sonyshine Veteran Member • Posts: 8,892

I have the A57 and the NexF3. I never go out with both cameras. I always take one ir the other depending whst I am going to shoot. I find themcomplimentary. I find them both very enjoyable and different and use them both a lot. If I want a small pocketable phone I have an iphone in my pocket at all times. My Sony compact DSCHX5V is the camera that never gets usef anymore .

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Apple iPhone SE
OldClicker Senior Member • Posts: 2,322

The V1 went from $900 to $300 in a year.  I don't think they found much of a market.

-- hide signature --

Some would have you believe that having to adapt to new technology is a workaround, but having adapted to old technology is photography.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads