Sony 10-18mm

Started Jan 24, 2013 | Discussions
Eweneek1 New Member • Posts: 6
Sony 10-18mm

Thinking of purchasing the Sony 10-18mm f/4 Wide-Angle Zoom Lens.  Is it worth the price?  I do primarily real estate interior and exterior photos.

viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,137
Re: Sony 10-18mm

Eweneek1 wrote:

Thinking of purchasing the Sony 10-18mm f/4 Wide-Angle Zoom Lens. Is it worth the price? I do primarily real estate interior and exterior photos.

Which camera do you have?  The performance is best on the 16 MP cameras (C3, F3, 5n, 5r, 6).  There are some color shift issues on the NEX 7.  Price wise I think it is a bit on the high side, but nothing abnormal for what Canon or Nikon would ask for similar.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
DtEW Senior Member • Posts: 2,445

Also, there exists many existing discussions on this issue, with samples.   A forum search will yield a wealth of information with which you can educate yourself and make up your own mind.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +13 more
pako
pako Senior Member • Posts: 1,839

Eweneek1 wrote:

Thinking of purchasing the Sony 10-18mm f/4 Wide-Angle Zoom Lens. Is it worth the price? I do primarily real estate interior and exterior photos.

Yes, it worth the price.

but you'll get the best quality by f8 or f11

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

pako's gear list:pako's gear list
Sony RX10 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7S II Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 +21 more
OP Eweneek1 New Member • Posts: 6

My camera is a 5n model.

kaku Contributing Member • Posts: 630

pako wrote:

But could that not be said about any/all lens?

I would think the true quality of a lens can be determined by its quality at the highest/maximum aperture.

wll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,821

Eweneek1 wrote:

I suggest you look at this blog

http://verybiglobo.blogspot.cz/2012/12/sony-sel-1018-f4-oss-vs-sigma-19-f28-ex.html

I have a 10-18mm and have not had a change to use it much, but it is a beautiful lens and very well made. From the little I used it I notice very little distortion and very nice color rendition. Almost all my images are of still objects, architecture, wall paintings, art, etc so So shoot at f5.6 and above and use ISO 800 as a standard cause the 16mp sensor is so good.

The lens is used on my 5n and my NEX 6 .... It has found it's home I think on the NEX 6 ;- )

wll

mu55 Senior Member • Posts: 1,381

I'm a professional real-estate photographer and looked into the 10-18 over Christmas (i have the 5n but would have bought the 6 at the same time) it seems good BUT

1. lightroom/ACR currently has no correction module for it, making getting things straight an issue

2. On the 5n you'll need a hot shoe adapter so you can fire enough flash to light a room - mine is good BUT...

3. the NEX-6 for some STUPID reason won't let you use the top dial to change the shutter speed in manual - i'll admit this is more an annoyance as i'm used to canon gear, but seriously, you can't customize the main dial?????? not having this makes manual bracketing alot slower (and realestate agents are always in a hurry...)

when lightroom adds support for this lens i'll take another look at it - but for workflow in architecture/realestate it'll cause issues.

mu55's gear list:mu55's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +11 more
pako
pako Senior Member • Posts: 1,839

kaku wrote:

pako wrote:

I would think the true quality of a lens can be determined by its quality at the highest/maximum aperture.

Some lenses are optimized for been better wide open (or almost), some lenses are good almost always; few lenses are designed for best performance with little aperture.

In this case, my indication about the best performance was because the OP want to do interiors, and he will be probably tempted to work with the camera handhelded, at a wide aperture, and his next thread will be about the 10-018 being soft...

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

pako's gear list:pako's gear list
Sony RX10 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7S II Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 +21 more
verybiglebowski
verybiglebowski Veteran Member • Posts: 3,882

Well

pako wrote:

kaku wrote:

pako wrote:

Some lenses are optimized for been better wide open (or almost), some lenses are good almost always; few lenses are designed for best performance with little aperture.

That is very much true, especially with a newer fast lenses.

In this case, my indication about the best performance was because the OP want to do interiors, and he will be probably tempted to work with the camera handhelded, at a wide aperture, and his next thread will be about the 10-018 being soft...

Well said, I would also like to add, that 10-18 performs better at middle to long distances. It doesn't really like extremely short distances, such as test charts, or brick walls i.e. On the other hand, distortion is pretty much under control, so with some care, it can serve well for architecture. I wouldn't be afraid of f5.6, if subject is at least 2-3m far away.

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

cptrios Senior Member • Posts: 1,352

I realize this thing has some color-shift on the borders on the 7...but what about smearing? I don't mind fixing colors, but you can't get detail back.

viking79

cptrios wrote:

I realize this thing has some color-shift on the borders on the 7...but what about smearing? I don't mind fixing colors, but you can't get detail back.

It is hard to make a profile to fix colors on such a wide lens.

At f/8 it looked fine in the corners of the 7 in my opinion.  F/4 was terrible in the corners, f/5.6 okay.

Eric

-- hide signature --

Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
plasmo Forum Member • Posts: 70

I'm also looking at purchasing this lens as well.

It looks like pretty much all resellers are selling this at around 848.

There are some places that are selling the lens for the exact same price, but with added

Sony 16GB class 10 SD card, dust cleaners and other trinkets in a bundle package.

Does anyone know if these "extras" in these lens bundles are of any quality, or just crap to get you to buy their bundle?  thx

plasmo's gear list:plasmo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS

Aside from the Sony SD card, the rest are likely not of great quality.  But hey, better to get some mediocre stuff, then none at all, right?

Green_Thark Contributing Member • Posts: 988

kaku wrote:

Aside from the Sony SD card, the rest are likely not of great quality. But hey, better to get some mediocre stuff, then none at all, right?

Presuming the SD card is actually sony and not some knock off

-- hide signature --

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them

Even if it was a knockoff, you'll still be getting something for nothing.  At the very least, you could use it as a throwaway thumbdrive.

verybiglebowski

cptrios wrote:

Yes, there is color shift on NEX 7, but with little extra work, for those who are using LR 4, there is still free, beta version of the Adobe Flat Field, that does great job by removing color casting.

Here is the sample of corrected color casting with the Adobe flat field for a shot taken with Samyang 8mm f2.8 on NEX 7:

Sony NEX 7 + Samyang 8mm f2.8 - test for Adobe Flat Field. Underexposed by intention.

SEL 1018 shows less casting at 10mm than Samyang, and Flat Field correction does not leave any trace of color casting.

Regarding smearing, SEL 1018 behave differently at extremely close subjects and at a distance. At a distances of 2m and bellow, there is little smearing wide open, caused by moderate field curvature, especially at wider end.
At the longer distances, there is almost no visible smearing at any FL and aperture.

You can however find many different opinions on this lens, because some people try it at a short distance (very often they don't switch the OSS when camera is on tripod, or they shot hand-held, or under fluorescent light, etc), they made a conclusion accordingly, and they post here, that the lens is soft.

In better case, they try it outdoor, but without noticing atmospheric conditions, such as haze or smog, or using AF, that can involve many other variables.

On contrary, I found SEL 1018 to be great performer, optically very well corrected and superb alternative for a landscape photography.  (But I am also just an ordinary user.)

aap292 Regular Member • Posts: 146

The 16+UWA adapter is cheaper, but if you are just using the UWA indoors is this the better option?

viking79

verybiglebowski wrote:

cptrios wrote:

Yes, there is color shift on NEX 7, but with little extra work, for those who are using LR 4, there is still free, beta version of the Adobe Flat Field, that does great job by removing color casting.

Here is the sample of corrected color casting with the Adobe flat field for a shot taken with Samyang 8mm f2.8 on NEX 7:

Sony NEX 7 + Samyang 8mm f2.8 - test for Adobe Flat Field. Underexposed by intention.

SEL 1018 shows less casting at 10mm than Samyang, and Flat Field correction does not leave any trace of color casting.

Regarding smearing, SEL 1018 behave differently at extremely close subjects and at a distance. At a distances of 2m and bellow, there is little smearing wide open, caused by moderate field curvature, especially at wider end.
At the longer distances, there is almost no visible smearing at any FL and aperture.

You can however find many different opinions on this lens, because some people try it at a short distance (very often they don't switch the OSS when camera is on tripod, or they shot hand-held, or under fluorescent light, etc), they made a conclusion accordingly, and they post here, that the lens is soft.

In better case, they try it outdoor, but without noticing atmospheric conditions, such as haze or smog, or using AF, that can involve many other variables.

On contrary, I found SEL 1018 to be great performer, optically very well corrected and superb alternative for a landscape photography. (But I am also just an ordinary user.)

I have heard people mention Adobe Flat field before, where and what is that, and does it require a profile to work correctly?

Eric

-- hide signature --

verybiglebowski

viking79 wrote:

I have heard people mention Adobe Flat field before, where and what is that, and does it require a profile to work correctly?

Eric

Hi Eric,

Hi Eric,

You can read about Flat Field here:

Adobe FlatField

Basically, it's similar to corner-fix, and it is in a beta stage, so you can have it for free.

It is distributed so far as a plug-in for LR 4 (and above).

Once installed it gives you 2 options in the File menu -plug-in extras menu...

Either you can choose:

a) Applied interleaved correction

or

b) Apply external correction

You use option a) if you are shooting somewhere, than take reference shot, than shot again elsewhere, than take reference shot etc.

Option b) is something like profiles. You can save reference images for different lighting situations and use them later without shooting new reference shot every time.

Both options can work in a batch mode, so the correction itself is fully automated.

What is reference shot? Simply the shot of a white or gray surface. For the shot above, I simply took a shot of the snow bellow me. It looks like this:

Plug-in is smart enough, that it choose this file as a reference automatically in the interleaved mode. So you just select all images that you want to correct, including reference shot, click File-Plug-Ins Extra, click - Apply interleaved correction, choose if you want only color correction or vignetting too, click OK and that's it.

Corrected files are saved as new files and linked to the originals by default.

The catch is that it works only with DNG files, so you have to import by converting to DNG (or convert it later).

Results are outstanding.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads